Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

humberklog wrote: »
    ^^ John Fardy did TV on the radio today. He often steps in when the regular James Dempsey is off. Fardy does the Cultural Toolbox show and often does side-kick to Hook.

I've gotten to really like James Dempsey doing the TV spot. Fardy's grand.

James Dempsey doesnt annoy me as much as he used to, I think he has gotten a little less pretentious as he has grown into the role.

Moncrieff and himself do get on well, one of the few people that Moncrieff doesnt try belittle when he disagrees with them. Although maybe thats cos they rarely disagree.

On another note, the TV guy is a teacher I believe.

Last week he stated that he never knew that the British Embassy in Dublin was burned to the ground in the aftermath of Bloody Sunday.

I hope he's either a music, art or PE teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

BPKS wrote: »
    James Dempsey doesnt annoy me as much as he used to, I think he has gotten a little less pretentious as he has grown into the role.

Moncrieff and himself do get on well, one of the few people that Moncrieff doesnt try belittle when he disagrees with them. Although maybe thats cos they rarely disagree.

On another note, the TV guy is a teacher I believe.

Last week he stated that he never knew that the British Embassy in Dublin was burned to the ground in the aftermath of Bloody Sunday.

I hope he's either a music, art or PE teacher.

Do you see any link between the two parts in bold?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd say a lot of people who didn't live through that period of time mightn't know that the British Embassy was burned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Do you see any link between the two parts in bold?

Fair enough.

But I would expect that somebody who is a teacher of most subjects in secondary would know about something as fundamental as the burning of the embassy.

I didnt live through that period and I learnt about that in first or second year in Secondary school.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't remember hearing about it in school, but I only did history to Junior.

My main memory of history in school up to Junior level was having to learn about pre historic stuff, as in really boring stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

2smiggy wrote: »
    Yaaaaaa , the Aussie girl in reviewing for movies and booze !

Esther has forgotten the Iron Law of holiday subs.

Don't get a temporary replacement that does you job better than you do.

Mind you, in her case that'd be almost any randomer in off the street...

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Esther will gush about ANY film with an Irish connection.

Gotta keep everybody sweet to get access I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It says a lot about Esther if people are getting excited about Sarina Bellisimo being on instead of her

siblers wrote: »
    It says a lot about Esther if people are getting excited about Sarina Bellisimo being on instead of her

Not so much excitement as gushing relief.

30 seconds of radio which could cause some listeners to spontaneously burst in to flames in anger.
    Sean introduces topic of the frequency which people wash their nightwear. Henry McKean investigates in Bray.

Henry McKean: So, do you wear pyjamas?
    Female Vox Pop: Yes. I wear them most of the day, I only take them off when I have to leave the house.
    HMK: What are they like?
    FVP: They're fluffy. I love them.
    HMK: You're not wearing them today.
    FVP: Yeah I had to go out.
    HMK: Why did you have to leave the house.
    FVP: I had to go get my money.
    HMK: Who is giving you money.
    FVP: The social welfare.
    HMK: So how often do you wash them?

Henry, either cleverly got a social welfare claimant to admit to the stereotype that they spend most days at home in their pyjamas, or, he didn't pick up on this point at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't remember hearing about it in school, but I only did history to Junior.

My main memory of history in school up to Junior level was having to learn about pre historic stuff, as in really boring stuff.

Irish Political history doesn't really enter the equation in earnest until senior cycle.

LC students study everything from the Home Rule/Land League era on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just catching with a few bits now, that Gary Busey fella is a chararcter isn't he :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Just catching with a few bits now, that Gary Busey fella is a chararcter isn't he :D

He's stone mad, brilliant though. That Henry McKean really is the dogsbody of the station. Moncrieff is good, but my god the amount of Americans on is unbearable, 99% of which are talking pure tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Missed that completely. Have to listen back.

Nice one.

I heard that and was half thinking that some of these guys must play the part of being eccentric because they really appear that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

I heard that and was half thinking that some of these guys must play the part of being eccentric because they really appear that way.

Gary Busey was on celebrity big brother a couple of years ago he really is mental, it’s not an act

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Gary Busey was on celebrity big brother a couple of years ago he really is mental, it’s not an act

Did he not have a motorbike accident in which he got brain injuries and never fully recovered?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Jeez...........call me a prude but............today Tom Dunne is interviewing that very "proper" health woman about stuff.
    I work in a busy office reception with lots of clients waiting for appointments to be called. On comes an in-depth discussion on how to explain periods from a man's perspective to his daughter. Soft tissue, once a month it sheds, bleeding, putting pads in bags in the bin etc. etc. Meanwhile my male boss is hanging over my shoulder which he checks the diary.

Aaaarrrrrgh is nothing sacred anymore? Does every single last minute detail of life, bodies, sex, personal intimacy, have to be discussed on the national airways??

Sometimes I just cringe. As I said I'm not a prude but its not always comfortable to hear this stuff on radio at work. I know I know there is an off button but you don't always get to it on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Jeez...........call me a prude but............today Tom Dunne is interviewing that very "proper" health woman about stuff.
    I work in a busy office reception with lots of clients waiting for appointments to be called. On comes an in-depth discussion on how to explain periods from a man's perspective to his daughter. Soft tissue, once a month it sheds, bleeding, putting pads in bags in the bin etc. etc. Meanwhile my male boss is hanging over my shoulder which he checks the diary.

Aaaarrrrrgh is nothing sacred anymore? Does every single last minute detail of life, bodies, sex, personal intimacy, have to be discussed on the national airways??

Sometimes I just cringe. As I said I'm not a prude but its not always comfortable to hear this stuff on radio at work. I know I know there is an off button but you don't always get to it on time.

I agree with you. Probably my only gripe with Moncrieff is some of the content is unnecessary on daytime radio.

• Advertisement

Ms McCarthy getting a big buildup on today's show. "Esther is also here." Indeed she is, and nobody can deny.

In other news, Tómas pronounces "Berkeley" wrong. (As in the bishop, rather than the Californian city, which given that he's talking about wine regions, might not be the one he's looking for.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Anyone listen to Sean with his sneery remarks about International Men's day, what a tosser then I caught the back end of So you think your an adult about someone worried about going out with a guy because he didn't vote for Michael D and thinks Trump gets a hard time! Queue the Trump follower bashing and yet man must be a Nazi according to Sean and the Shirley Templebar lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Heard him the other day when he had Graham Finlay on saying how in the future it might be possible to recreate dead people. Seans reply was of course you wouldn't want to recreate the likes of Hitler or Peter Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Who is your man in for Sean today? He is beyond annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Who is your man in for Sean today? He is beyond annoying!

Joe Donnelly. He used to be Tom Dunne's producer, when Tom was on during the day.

Ahwell wrote: »
    Joe Donnelly. He used to be Tom Dunne's producer, when Tom was on during the day.

well he is flat as anything, no sense of humour, no laugh, nada, boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I thought he had gone off to start up a micro brewery

• Registered Users Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I thought he had gone off to start up a micro brewery

he mentioned some 'craft' beer a good few times, I think he said at the start of the show he was involved with it.

Ya he was terrible today, especially for movies and booze

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

Some stand in for Ivan too. A real C team effort today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just turned on the radio.

What the hell am I listening to?

Advertisement