Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

quintana76 wrote: »
    Am under the impression it fits in somehow with his right on "caring" agenda as when he always takes the most extreme feminist side on gender issues. It begs the question, yet again, who is he trying to impress?

Would you not just dial the histronics back a bit…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

They're still doing that so you think you're an adult rubbish, they should have thrown it on the scrap heap a long time ago.

any time i've heard it, they always seem to give the exact opposite advice that i would give.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Am under the impression it fits in somehow with his right on "caring" agenda as when he always takes the most extreme feminist side on gender issues. It begs the question, yet again, who is he trying to impress?

I don't expect you to understand the distinction but it doesn't beg the question it invites the question.

Begging the question is assuming your conclusion to be true. You are begging the question of his attempt to impress somebody (for example). Sorry to be pedantic but you should move to the Kruger national park because you are the personification of the Dunning Kruger effect.

For your own sake would you ever just ****ing listen to something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭4Ad

Sean will be playing a David Carey slot tomorrow, replacing the Parenting slot..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just heard the replayed interview with David Carey, that was a turbulent life he had, Sean sounded upset signing off, they didn't finish with things to do tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Had been chatting to him for 10 years. Understandable that there would be upset.
    Leaving out things to do was a simple but correct thing to do.

David was a psychologist who had certainly walked the walk. Must have been very interesting to work with him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

James isn't a fan of Love Island :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

James isn't a fan of Love Island :D

Ah crap, missed that.

How long before you can listen back?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ah crap, missed that.

Not sure probably within an hour or two.

Sean giving out about Raised by the Village after is also worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

they gave 'Cobra Kai' a great review, it is well worth a watch if you were anyway a fan of the Karate Kid (the original one)

I gave Love Island a watch for the first time ever last night, it was strange, i knew it was pure trash, but i kept on watching it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭robbe

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ah crap, missed that.

It's up as a podcast now....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I don't expect you to understand the distinction but it doesn't beg the question it invites the question.

Phrase means both these days. Indeed, the OED lists the "raises a point" meaning as the first sense. Wittgenstein fans, I'm afraid you'll just have to take the beating. Or switch to saying petitio principii fallacy instead. (Which unfortunately may lead to other beatings.)

Just heard the replayed interview with David Carey, that was a turbulent life he had, Sean sounded upset signing off, they didn't finish with things to do tonight.

Hadn't heard this until I noticed this comment, listening back to the item now. Very sad news. Though I did briefly wonder when Joanna Fortune was introduced as their regular child psychologist at the start of one of her recent appearances...

Am under the impression it fits in somehow with his right on "caring" agenda as when he always takes the most extreme feminist side on gender issues.

I dunno which "the most extreme feminist" side is even supposed to be, in many cases. On transgender issues, for example.

Meaningless attempt at an adverse characterisation of anyone whose views are slightly more progressive than that of the reactionary speaker, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I dunno which "the most extreme feminist" side is even supposed to be, in many cases. On transgender issues, for example.

Meaningless attempt at an adverse characterisation of anyone whose views are slightly more progressive than that of the reactionary speaker, perhaps?

His views are only progressive on the surface. Supporting oppressive and intolerant third wave feminism and on other occasions making excuses for Islam is by any definition regressive.

His views are only progressive on the surface. Supporting oppressive and intolerant third wave feminism and on other occasions making excuses for Islam is by any definition regressive.

i.e. progressive, by any objective political science criteria, but you don't like them being characterised in that manner. So will instead cobble together a more negative-sounding one, whether it makes sense or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Tom in today, I wonder how many music slots he can get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The International news slot makes for depressing listening.

Jonathan deBurca Butler reminds me of the liberal in the Life of Brian who was distastefully handing out the crosses for the crucifixions and was about to let Eric Idle go.
    His superior distaste for the banning of Muslim face coverings in schools in Norway was palpable. He claimed it was just a way of getting at the immigrants as well as assault on their civil rights.
    In the same breath he said that even the far left had not voted against it. Amnesty international were against it though. There is one organisation that has lost it's way.
    Prefers AA's view to that of an overwhelming vote in the Norwegian Parliament. How bourgeois of him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Music slot on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Dub13 wrote:
    Tom in today, I wonder how many music slots he can get in.

Well he has his piece on a song being written. Fair play, he lives and breathes music.

Jonathan deBurca Butler reminds me of the liberal in the Life of Brian who was distastefully handing out the crosses for the crucifixions and was about to let Eric Idle go.

Hate-listening in again! Sure, you're missing Liveline and D'Arcy, y'know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

His superior distaste for the banning of Muslim face coverings in schools in Norway was palpable. He claimed it was just a way of getting at the immigrants as well as assault on their civil rights.
    In the same breath he said that even the far left had not voted against it. Amnesty international were against it though. There is one organisation that has lost it's way.
    Prefers AA's view to that of an overwhelming vote in the Norwegian Parliament. How bourgeois of him.

Automobile Association?
    Atheists and Agnostics?
    Alcoholics Anonymous?
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

:rolleyes:

Liam Cunningham coming on next. Wonder what the topic of conversation will be? Not.
    Must be getting worried about popular opinion. He will have a sympathetic ear in the studio and that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Excellent discussion on the concept and consequences of equality, there.

Jonathan deBurca Butler was talking about a proposed burka ban in Quebec/Canada and how the legislation had to be finessed. He said 70% in Quebec supported the ban and and how very sad that is. He was speaking as if maintaining the burka was on an equivalence with gay rights or similar. He also assumes that all his listeners think the same way. His almost patrician arrogance and assumption can be very annoying. He works for the IT of course.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Sean having a good pop at the Traveller advocacy lady there (Senator Collette Kelleher). Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

First post here but I used to see people raving about this show all the time saying it was the best etc.

So I gave it a listen. I think it's rubbish tbh. Mostly it's a friday when I get to listen to it....his "beers and movies" is just cringey.

And someone should tell Moncrief that reading out listeners text doesn't make you funny, the person sending the text was funny!

I find his voice terribly grating aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Pussyhands wrote: »
    First post here but I used to see people raving about this show all the time saying it was the best etc.

So I gave it a listen. I think it's rubbish tbh. Mostly it's a friday when I get to listen to it....his "beers and movies" is just cringey.

And someone should tell Moncrief that reading out listeners text doesn't make you funny, the person sending the text was funny!

I find his voice terribly grating aswell.

Ok I'll say it. I'm not a fan of Movies & Booze. Couldn't give a toss about beer or wine and Esther isn't the most engaging or knowledgeable film critic.

I think you're completely wrong on everything else though, 80% of the time his show is the best thing on radio.

Advertisement