Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Alicano wrote: »
    Especially highlighted if the booze guest is well prepared and knows their topic (which is more often than not).

I agree Movies Esther is terrible. We learn whether she smugly likes something, or sulkily didn't care for it... and that's about it.

But I suspect the format actually does her some favours. The Booze people are certainly well-prepared, though often they can questions in that amount to "can they beat google, that the texter was too lazy to use for themselves?" Several of them inevitably teeter on the edge of the "insufferably pretentious wine (or beer) bore", and the format at least breaks that up a little bit. Though hardly in a way that would serve a serious movie critic.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I much prefer when the Aussie girl does MaB to Esther. She's always much better prepared and has a passion for movies.

Faugheen wrote: »
    I much prefer when the Aussie girl does MaB to Esther. She's always much better prepared and has a passion for movies.

Concur, though "prefer to Esther" sounds very much like damning with faint praise. The Oz woman was actually pretty good!

Did Beer Guy(TM) just say Bayreuth was hard to get to, because it was a long way from Düsseldorf? That's maybe because it's at the other end of the country, and there's half a dozen closer German airports! (Koeln, Munich, Frankfurt... the other Frankfurt...)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Anybody else picking up interference on the Moncrieff show today.

The beeps and buzzing started just after Moncrieff kinda slagged D'Arcy. Hmmmmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

BPKS wrote: »

The beeps and buzzing started just after Moncrieff kinda slagged D'Arcy. Hmmmmmmm.

The station went off air for several minutes during Tom Dunne's show on Tuesday night. Was replaced by a mild buzzing noise while it was off.

BPKS wrote: »

It's that massive statist jamming apparatus again!

What was the D'Arcy comment? Might have missed it, as I didn't want to be spoilerised during the TV slot. Which I like, except that they're a little apt to do that -- though not half as bad as some.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Beyonce's ould fella sounded away the fairies altogether, such bullsh1t he was spouting during that interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

every week I look forward to Movies and Booze , then nearly every week that one Ester is on to review the movies :(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Tubridy at it again. Pushing open borders by returning to the Ur moment of the refugee propaganda. The drowned kid who was quite safe in Turkey but whose father wasn't satisfied as he wanted his teeth fixed in Europe. He was responsible for his kids death not us. Used by Europe's enemies (aware or unaware of that status) to sow the seeds of future European conflict. A Sarajevo moment if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

quintana76 wrote: »
    Tubridy at it again. Pushing open borders by returning to the Ur moment of the refugee propaganda. The drowned kid who was quite safe in Turkey but whose father wasn't satisfied as he wanted his teeth fixed in Europe. He was responsible for his kids death not us. Used by Europe's enemies (aware or unaware of that status) to sow the seeds of future European conflict. A Sarajevo moment if you like.

Wha?

Wha?

Maybe I went a bit over the top there. Was grumpy at the bus stop. Sean was following his normal track though.

Did I just hear Jurgen Hebermas being described as a liberal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what was the point in that opium interview? seemed to be less than 2 minutes long

Yaaaaaa , the Aussie girl in reviewing for movies and booze !

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭robbe

2smiggy wrote: »
    Yaaaaaa , the Aussie girl in reviewing for movies and booze !

You mean the one who doesn't really like films and hasn't a notion even about the movie she has just watched? I'll listen to the podcast out of morbid fascination........

robbe wrote: »
    You mean the one who doesn't really like films and hasn't a notion even about the movie she has just watched? I'll listen to the podcast out of morbid fascination........

no, that's the Irish wan you are thinking of

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No it's the Aussie one I remember her arriving in and I dont think see bothered even watching the movies she was going to review she makes Esther looked like Barry Norman :D

No it's the Aussie one I remember her arriving in and I dont think see bothered even watching the movies she was going to review she makes Esther looked like Barry Norman :D

Oh !! :D . any time I heard her she was positive enough about most films. She did seem well prepared today at least !!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I find the Aussie even worse than Esther. Esther's a bit ignorant but the other one is simply thick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭robbe

An apt comparison...I think she also displays an ignorance of the subject matter of the movies she reviews. Seem to recall (and I might not be exactly right but it was something similar) that when she reviewed The Post she mentioned that she had never heard of Watergate....quite remarkable really.

robbe wrote: »
    An apt comparison...I think she also displays an ignorance of the subject matter of the movies she reviews. Seem to recall (and I might not be exactly right but it was something similar) that when she reviewed The Post she mentioned that she had never heard of Watergate....quite remarkable really.

And The Krays movie..."and Sean, this is based on real people! They actually existed eh ..in the past!".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Stupid budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Not sure who the guy is on at the moment reviewing TV shows, didn't catch his name, but he is an immense improvement from the guy from the last few weeks.

^^ John Fardy did TV on the radio today. He often steps in when the regular James Dempsey is off. Fardy does the Cultural Toolbox show and often does side-kick to Hook.

I've gotten to really like James Dempsey doing the TV spot. Fardy's grand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm a big fan of James too, I think him and Sean got on very well which makes even better.

John is very good, as were the other stand ins over the Summer, but they don't get on with Sean as well as James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Fardy does the movie news at the start of the picture show on Saturdays too, he's got a good chemistry with the host there.

Strange statement from Moncrieff the other day when talking to Ivan Yates on the content of his oncoming show. Yates was complaining about the expense of RTE's two symphony orchestras. Moncrieff said that he must hate Ireland. Very odd statement to make in that context.

Strange statement from Moncrieff the other day when talking to Ivan Yates on the content of his oncoming show. Yates was complaining about the expense of RTE's two symphony orchestras. Moncrieff said that he must hate Ireland. Very odd statement to make in that context. Always knew he was a bit of a luvvie but thats going way over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

quintana76 wrote: »
    Strange statement from Moncrieff the other day when talking to Ivan Yates on the content of his oncoming show. Yates was complaining about the expense of RTE's two symphony orchestras. Moncrieff said that he must hate Ireland. Very odd statement to make in that context. Always knew he was a bit of a luvvie but thats going way over the top.

you could argue that the two of them seem to think that grass is greener elsewhere, although Sean may not be so brazen about it.

Advertisement