Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

Haha, yoppo, heres hoping!! Did you go for an interview last year? Did you get feedback from it?

No my HPAT was dire.. It was my first time doing it so didn't get close to their cut-off..

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭livk

Caolan - This is my 3rd application. I'm 26, no children or anything like that. First application didn't really count for anything because i was in the middle of repeating my leaving cert so didn't have any proof that I was dedicated to it I guess. Last year was my first real attempt, but my HPAT score killed me. My UCC interview got me a spot on the waiting list. Maybe I can do a little better this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

yoppo wrote: »
    No my HPAT was dire.. It was my first time doing it so didn't get close to their cut-off..

At least that worry is off for this year :)

Caolan I'm 25 and have spent the last twenty years saying I wanted to be a doctor so I feel about 55 at this stage ;) There was a mature student in her 30s at the open evening who had previously been working in finance before rcsi!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hopefulmedic

jody24 wrote: »
    hey guys, a question for the experienced ones?

have a friend eligible for the graduate entry one and applied for both mature and graduate entry and has received the email to send his documents in? how does that make sense? does eligible people for the graduate entry can apply for mature entry too?

It seems like everyone who got over the hpat cut off was just sent the generic email(send to many) . I don't think they have cross checked at this stage or looked further into the applications other that the basic hpat score. I would think they probably will now cross check all applicants. Look at the supporting documents and then choose mature students (without 2:1 degrees) for interview and assess graduates and undergrads seperately .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Teacake25

Caolan wrote: »
    I've a degree like most- but it's an unrelated field (finance) and not enough for GEM- never did science in school as my parents pushed me toward business. 12 years later I'm doing a few science LC subjects and hoping my life experiences will stand to me.

If it works out this year great- if not next year ill be doing the full LC and trying on the double (CAO and mature)

out of interest are many here first timers? Have many been trying for a few years? Many here been through the interviews before? And lastly what age are most (I'm a 30 year old with 3 kids)

I'm a first timer & 26 years old. I'm hoping my clinical experience will go in my favour as my LC and 2:2 (pharmacy degree) are not half as impressive as some I've seen on here.

• Advertisement

No, people can get interviews for undergrad even if theyre in the process of applying as a mature, Carmen told me that last year, she was saying they take it into consideration at interview that thats not their only chance of getting in

I've a degree like most- but it's an unrelated field (finance) and not enough for GEM- never did science in school as my parents pushed me toward business. 12 years later I'm doing a few science LC subjects and hoping my life experiences will stand to me.

If it works out this year great- if not next year ill be doing the full LC and trying on the double (CAO and mature)

out of interest are many here first timers? Have many been trying for a few years? Many here been through the interviews before? And lastly what age are most (I'm a 30 year old with 3 kids)

Caolan. I'm a first time applicant. 2:2 BSc Psychology degree so not eligible for grad entry. Only 24 but running my own business and trying to pay off a morgage so not sure I would manage to sit the whole lc again(a year off no pay but not doing med)Would you be doing it as an external/night class student, just out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

Good to hear people's stories- like most I have an utterly unremarkable LC from when I was a teen. I love the mature entry opportunity as I can see the benefit of a more mature approach.

I've wanted this a long time but with the 3 kids I have needed to be alot more patient than I've liked while I got the financials in order- paying a mortgage, tuition and raising the family is a balancing act and its great to finally be able to go for it.

Serious respect for your attitude :)

Caolan. I'm a first time applicant. 2:2 BSc Psychology degree so not eligible for grad entry. Only 24 but running my own business and trying to pay off a morgage so not sure I would manage to sit the whole lc again(a year off no pay but not doing med)Would you be doing it as an external/night class student, just out of interest?

I'm gonna go whole hog and study full time I think. I've a very good and very secure job, but it's unfulfilling.

As far as I'm concerned its a 6 year course- I've 1 shot at a LC and doing it part time would be a risk. A good LC means you do 5 years in RCSI + I've never studied under govt funding before so going as an undergrad would takes one element of financial pressure off

• Advertisement

I can't recommend a full time LC enough. It takes up so much time, but it's 9 months of your life well spent if it means you get into medicine. Best thing I ever did, and i'm still not even in.

I'm gonna go whole hog and study full time I think. I've a very good and very secure job, but it's unfulfilling.

As far as I'm concerned its a 6 year course- I've 1 shot at a LC and doing it part time would be a risk. A good LC means you do 5 years in RCSI + I've never studied under govt funding before so going as an undergrad would takes one element of financial pressure off
    Ok ,makes total sense. I have unfortunately, so wouldn't be eligible for undergrad state funded fees. Interesting to hear how everyone has such a different background and approach.

livk wrote: »
    I can't recommend a full time LC enough. It takes up so much time, but it's 9 months of your life well spent if it means you get into medicine. Best thing I ever did, and i'm still not even in.

I agree, I switched to part time work for the nine months so I could study fulltime and even just from the point of view of leaving me feeling more confident about things like chemistry it is worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

I'm a repeat CAO applicant but really this is my first year applying as mature. I'm 31, no kids, no mortgage (but also no owned house!). I absolutely despise the HPAT as it feels like a lottery :-( I very nearly repeated the LC myself this year but decided I was unlikely to improve on the points I have (585) and really it's the HPAT that let me down. Its a tough ole system this mature entry one

I'm a repeat CAO applicant but really this is my first year applying as mature. I'm 31, no kids, no mortgage (but also no owned house!). I absolutely despise the HPAT as it feels like a lottery :-( I very nearly repeated the LC myself this year but decided I was unlikely to improve on the points I have (585) and really it's the HPAT that let me down. Its a tough ole system this mature entry one

So you're applying as an undergrad then aswell? You could have a really good chance with those points, have you applied to all the med schools?

Ironically I like the HPAT

With 585 though that still needs a HPAT OF 180+ which isn't unrealistic, but like you said, needs a bit of luck on the day. How did you find the HPAT this year?

I presume you've applied through Mature and undergrad?

Also- it's good to know I'm not the only oldie applying- walking into the HPAT was a little weird!

Yes I've applied everywhere, didn't apply to trinity as mature only undergrad, but the others I applied both undergrad and mature. Hpat of 180+ is unlikely, I wasn't jumping for joy coming out this year. I'd far rather sit the gamsat, its a nasty exam but at least it has a syllabus so can be effectively prepared for. I realise its luck on the day etcetc but jes I think its a mad system when med places are riding on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

RCSI take everyone as eligible for mature entry, technically somebody could apply to RCSI as graduate entry, mature and cao undergrad all in same year.

Most other colleges take mature applicants only if they are ineligible to apply as graduates (ie no 2.1).

make sense. because , if people applied for undergrad and mature entry eligible, then people applying for graduate and mature entry is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Hi Caolan,

Have you looked into the free fees scheme any futher? If I was you i'd ring them to make sure you're still eligible as you have a degree already. It doesn't matter if it was government funded or not :-(

"Tuition fees will not be paid in respect of:
    students pursuing a second undergraduate course.
    students who already hold a postgraduate qualification
    Notwithstanding this condition and subject to compliance with the other conditions of the Free Fees initiative, students who already hold a Level 6 qualification (Higher Certificate or National Certificate) or a Level 7 qualification (Ordinary Bachelor Degree or National Diploma) and are progressing to a Level 8 (Honours Bachelor Degree) course without necessarily having received an exemption from the normal duration of the course may be deemed eligible for free fees"

borrch wrote: »
    Hi Caolan,

Have you looked into the free fees scheme any futher? If I was you i'd ring them to make sure you're still eligible as you have a degree already. It doesn't matter if it was government funded or not :-(

Notwithstanding this condition and subject to compliance with the other conditions of the Free Fees initiative, students who already hold a Level 6 qualification (Higher Certificate or National Certificate) or a Level 7 qualification (Ordinary Bachelor Degree or National Diploma) and are progressing to a Level 8 (Honours Bachelor Degree) course without necessarily having received an exemption from the normal duration of the course may be deemed eligible for free fees"

Not in full- but will definitely look into it further, its more applicable for a potential stab at LC and undergrad than Mature entry. TBH I'm treating everything like its worst case scenario so that I'm prepared for everything.

As I mentioned previously, with a family, wife and mortgage to support, I can't personaly take any risks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

borrch wrote: »
    Hi Caolan,

I can verify as one who completed a degree pre free fees, it does not matter who paid for the degree, you could have done it in a different country. As long as you have a degree you are ineligible for free fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

Just to reassure ppl about hpat result that, I. Was talking to one of the women from rcsi admission and. She said that rcsi have viewed the result. So we all must have done at least well enough for rcsi!!!

Yes I've applied everywhere, didn't apply to trinity as mature only undergrad, but the others I applied both undergrad and mature. Hpat of 180+ is unlikely, I wasn't jumping for joy coming out this year. I'd far rather sit the gamsat, its a nasty exam but at least it has a syllabus so can be effectively prepared for. I realise its luck on the day etcetc but jes I think its a mad system when med places are riding on it!

Hopefully you will be successful this year, but fwiw Trinity has the second largest number of mature med spots, and the fees are considerably cheaper per year than RSCI. Yes the application form is painful, but still worth it.

Has anyone an idea how many mature applicants there is for one spot? I'm guessing around 200?

Abby19 wrote: »
    Hopefully you will be successful this year, but fwiw Trinity has the second largest number of mature med spots, and the fees are considerably cheaper per year than RSCI. Yes the application form is painful, but still worth it.

Am I correct in thinking Trinity place a big expectation on matures having significant voluntary work? Or experience working in a primary healthcare role -nurse, social worker etc.?

Am I correct in thinking Trinity place a big expectation on matures having significant voluntary work? Or experience working in a primary healthcare role -nurse, social worker etc.?

I didn't - I had a non-healthcare related background, though had some experience in medical devices manufacturing.

My voluntary experience was more involvement with committees and societies, mostly sport/committee related. My impression was that they wanted to see if you would get involved and give of your time, rather than specific health related stuff (though I've donated blood then platelets for years). I had no hospital shadowing at all. I can only speak of my experience, so others may have differing experiences/opinions.

And I know for a fact (conversation with mature students officer) that Trinity had a policy of holding a few spots for applicants with a humanities background. They were bringing that in about 2/3 years ago, but I've not heard if that has changed again.

I did have a good HPAT, I suppose a fairly solid application that I had a few people proofread and then had prepared well for the interview that I felt went quite well. And was delighted to be offered a spot at the end of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

yoppo wrote: »
    Has anyone an idea how many mature applicants there is for one spot? I'm guessing around 200?

AFAIK there are roughly 30 places in total and usually around 200 applicants for Dublin uni's. So that would be approx a 1 in 7 chance but it depends on the uni. For instance NUIG have 100ish applicants for 2 places. Hope that helps.

Wow, reading those statistics make it seem that bit more real. 200 people for 30 places. Ouch.

livk wrote: »
    Wow, reading those statistics make it seem that bit more real. 200 people for 30 places. Ouch.

That's not too bad in fairness! I say that now :pac:

• Advertisement

Haha, yeah, you say that now :p

Advertisement