Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

Don't stress, it is in the lap of the Gods.
    Enjoy your shadowing:)

Thanks! Don't like the idea of wearing a shirt and tie though... I'm 28 and look like I'm 18... He's going to introduce me as a medical student :pac: On the inside I'll feel like an impostor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

Hahah, Roll with it!

You will be grateful when we are all in as mature students and everyone just assumes we are 18.

And if it makes you feel better I got I.d'd in Tesco buying a scratch card...oh the shame!I'm 25!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭livk

When I was repeating all my teachers thought I was 17. In May my business teacher came up to me and apologised a lot when she realised. I'm really 26. I think we're all in the same boat here, which will work out well when we're thrown in with 200 18 year olds :)

Haha, Livk, that happened to me too, I was the same age as three of my teachers!

Haha, I don't think mine were that much older than me. Though one day I said something about pregnancy in biology and my teacher corrected me and said we'd just 'have to differ'. I'll never forget the smile she threw me. Had no idea I was a midwife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Teacake25

Haha, Livk, that happened to me too, I was the same age as three of my teachers!

I'm so glad to have found this thread. I'm in the same boat, 26 & Sending my paperwork to RCSI on Friday. Has anyone heard from anywhere else or know when to expect a response?

Haha, my biology teacher knew I was a nurse and was very sweet but everytime anyone mentioned a strike in business the teacher would call on me for my 'vast knowledge of industrial action'...we're not that bad!!

Teacake25, Id expect another three or four weeks or so before we start hearing from Trinners or UCC about interviews based on last year. Not sure about NUIG

Haha, EternalGeek, that's amazing. Thankfully mine didn't do that, but it would have been hilarious :)

Teakcake: Absolutely no idea, i'm guessing we have a few more weeks before we hear from anywhere else. They all have our documents and only require us to show up for interviews. So around the time of HPAT results I hope to have heard from a few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Teacake25

Oh god, the thought of getting those dreaded HPAT results!

• Advertisement

My interviews last year, were 15th, 16th, 17th of May with RCSI first, then Trinity and then Cork. RCSI interviews this year are 14th and 15th and they usually give two weeks notice and I remember hearing about my interviews really close together so would expect to hear towards the end of the month.

Teacake25 wrote: »
    Oh god, the thought of getting those dreaded HPAT results!

Please don't stress, they use it as a cut off and I know people with average scores last year who got interviews and wowed enough to get a place, so its really just one broad filter.

I almost had a party when I heard from RCSI this year. My HPAT was ridiculously bad first time around. I'm sure i've said this before on the forum, but i'm having a party if it's 160 or above. I only had UCC interview last year, and straight decline from everywhere else.

We can all have a party after interviews this year to calm down a little in the waiting period :)

Hahah Livk we should have a party so we get to know our future classmates....law of attraction guys ;)

I need a new excuse to go to Dublin, so just say the word and i'm there ;)

Hahah, excellent, post interview party so!

I nearly have the PS done and was just wondering did anyone included extra curricular activities eg sports? Or did ye just stick to what they asked on the sheet..Is there a limit to the size of the PS?

Also the first day of shadowing was class! Prednisone can cure everything!

I included extra curricular, or at least the ones that I said helped me develop something that would be helpful towards medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

My PS was 3 full pages so didn't have room to mention them in it, but i did list them in my CV. Sent my application to RCSI today. Good luck everyone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

can any one say what sort of cv. are we expected to send with our documents? and would it be ok to hand them the documents on monday? i seem not to have time to go up there untill monday!

• Advertisement

yoppo wrote: »
    I nearly have the PS done and was just wondering did anyone included extra curricular activities eg sports? Or did ye just stick to what they asked on the sheet..Is there a limit to the size of the PS?

Also the first day of shadowing was class! Prednisone can cure everything!

I included mine but only because one of my extras is writing for a medical website. My PS was three pages aswell, but I spoke with Carmen before and she said the length didnt matter as long as everything was relevant. Seemingly someone once submitted ten pages and got in.

They have to be in monday before 5pm. So, make sure you're in there before then. A CV tailored towards medicine is what they need. Listing what experience and work you've done that's relevant if possible.

jody24 wrote: »
    can any one say what sort of cv. are we expected to send with our documents? and would it be ok to hand them the documents on monday? i seem not to have time to go up there untill monday!

I'm not sure what you mean by sort of cv? I just used my standard CV that I use for job applications, just updated it

thanks guys, i have my scientific cv. from college, so i guess i add the wok experience and thats all. i hope its good enough!!!

Sounds great Jody, good luck with it :)

hope it sound same to them to Eternal Geek, any one handing his/hers in on monday?

jody24 wrote: »
    hope it sound same to them to Eternal Geek, any one handing his/hers in on monday?

I may be. Depending on how good I feel about my PS.

might see you on monday Yoppo. btw i was given my ps to a friend to review it and he was saying it needs alot of change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Hi All,

Quick Q - I'm having a reference panic! What format do the references need to be in? I'm assuming written copy? Addressed to who?

Help?! Thanks a mill :-)

• Advertisement

Mine are written and think they all start 'To whom it may concern...'

Writing your own, eh? :P

Advertisement