Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants 2014

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 adamdunne01

Hi All,

My name is Adam Dunne and I am currently Interested in pursuing Medicine as a Mature Student. Although young at twenty two and turning twenty three in November I spent alot of time building up experience via volunteering and shadowing consultants. I am looking to link in and get advice on my personal statement and link in with more mature students to get an insight into there mature student process. If anyone would be interested in linking in with me for advice and guidance I would appreciate it.

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Hi All,

My name is Adam Dunne and I am currently Interested in pursuing Medicine as a Mature Student. Although young at twenty two and turning twenty three in November I spent alot of time building up experience via volunteering and shadowing consultants. I am looking to link in and get advice on my personal statement and link in with more mature students to get an insight into there mature student process. If anyone would be interested in linking in with me for advice and guidance I would appreciate it.

Adam

I would suggest you read through the various threads on applying to medicine as a mature student. I note that you have posted similar questions in a few relevant threads, so if you read back through them you should pick up a lot of info about the application process and what each college is looking for. It would also give you the benefit of information from many different posters over a number of years, rather than one or two replies now. Also check for mature medicine threads in each separate college that takes matures. Then you would be in a position to ask more targeted questions.

The CAO application and Trinity Supplemental Form are only due at the end of January. What I would suggest you do now is to check your eligibility. My understanding is the mature applicants have to meet the minimum matriculation requirements. Have you the requisite science subjects with the minimum grades? Minimum 480 points, etc. Though the TAP (Trinity Access Program) and access programs may satisfy some of these requirements. Unless you tick all the boxes you won't even be considered regardless of experience and shadowing. I know of quite a few people who have taken up or repeated a science subject in the leaving cert to meet the requirements.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Wow, just read all 29 pages! Bit of a rollercoaster seeing some of you get accepted and others rejected, regardless of HPAT scores, relevant degrees and healthcare experience.

I'll share my story, too;

I completed my Leaving Cert in 2010, scored 535 points, and got into Computer Science at UCD. I ended up dropping out during the first semester. I've always wanted to study Medicine from a young age, and went completely off the idea of it during 5th and 6th year, which I now realize was a really silly thing to do, and intend to apply for Medicine in 2015. I've been working in the NHS in the UK for 2 years in a hospital environment, so I'm hoping that will benefit me. I work with nurses, matrons, doctors, and upper management across all specialties in our Trust, so I'm beginning to use that network to gain as much useful experience as I can in the next year. I'm quite fortunate in that I know doctors that I can ask to shadow, and can quite easily get a personal reference from a Consultant. I'm in the process of volunteering on a ward once a week, and potentially going to volunteer with an ambulance service.

I was feeling relatively confident that it was possible for me to get into a Medicine course somewhere - this thread has given me a bit of a knot in my stomach! Time to start working my ass off

• Registered Users Posts: 1 qwerty00

Hi

First time poster..

Just enquiring about accommodation for anyone fortunate to have secured a place in RCSI..

Has anyone had any luck finding somewhere to live?

Have been looking for a while, but no luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

There's two places for Medicine mature students in UCD next year. Two. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

any one knows of cheap hpat courses in dublin running over a weekend or two prior to the test ?

Advertisement