Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭livk

You have made my week :)

Em_2014 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I asked in the RCSI and they said that they already have our HPAT scores!
    They have already screened applications based on this score, so anyone who got the email for more info from the admissions office got above their minimum HPAT score.
    So some good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Em_2014

Yes. It is a pretty big relief!!!! Just have to get past the next stage now!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

We must be all HPAT gods! Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Em_2014 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I asked in the RCSI and they said that they already have our HPAT scores!
    They have already screened applications based on this score, so anyone who got the email for more info from the admissions office got above their minimum HPAT score.
    So some good news!

AMAZING NEWS!! Go us! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

At least we know we got 160+ in the HPAT :-)

• Advertisement

Re. Fees, it is €16k per annum for anyone who takes a mature place, previous degree or not. Apparently they're very strict on matures having the financials sorted and can expect to be asked at interview how we intend funding it!

I think in reality a lot more apply and get offered mature places for RCSI than end up taking them so the waitlist seems to kick in, if you can get a cao offer in August as an undergrad that saves a small fortune. A few matures will get offered and then will get cao offer and take the cheaper/latter option for the exact same course! They explained why their mature fees are huge at the open evening, can't remember the details but I think it came down to them being private rather than publicly funded.

borrch wrote: »
    At least we know we got 160+ in the HPAT :-)

I got 148 hpat last year and got the email to send in docs...I didn't for other reasons but never understood that one?!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Re. Fees, it is €16k per annum for anyone who takes a mature place, previous degree or not. Apparently they're very strict on matures having the financials sorted and can expect to be asked at interview how we intend funding it!

I think in reality a lot more apply and get offered mature places for RCSI than end up taking them so the waitlist seems to kick in, if you can get a cao offer in August as an undergrad that saves a small fortune. A few matures will get offered and then will get cao offer and take the cheaper/latter option for the exact same course! They explained why their mature fees are huge at the open evening, can't remember the details but I think it came down to them being private rather than publicly funded.

HI Billiethepup, I understand all that but what I don't understand is that they will receive nearly €7k from the government towards tuition because of free fees. Surely that sum of money has to come off the €16k..? Otherwisw they'd be getting 16+7= €23k in total

I had that same score and got no email. That's quite strange.

borrch wrote: »
    HI Billiethepup, I understand all that but what I don't understand is that they will receive nearly €7k from the government towards tuition because of free fees. Surely that sum of money has to come off the €16k..? Otherwisw they'd be getting 16+7= €23k in total

No idea. Maybe you could email them to double check? They may be assuming everyone has used up free fees?

• Advertisement

livk wrote: »
    I had that same score and got no email. That's quite strange.

I'm assuming the application simply wouldn't of been opened if it had of been submitted. It made no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

I got 148 hpat last year and got the email to send in docs...I didn't for other reasons but never understood that one?!

Billiethepup just out of curiosity did u receive interview from rcsi last year as u have received the email from them?

Hi Jody24, nope, no interview, but I didn't send in any documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

About the question about the fees. UCC, trinity and RCSI all asked me directly how I intended to fund my studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Teacake25

FYI, When I dropped my info into RCSI on Friday, Carmen said she will be informing people herself about interviews in the next 3 weeks! So fingers crossed for everyone, the waiting continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hopefulmedic

Teacake25 wrote: »
    FYI, When I dropped my info into RCSI on Friday, Carmen said she will be informing people herself about interviews in the next 3 weeks! So fingers crossed for everyone, the waiting continues...

This 3 weeks is going to be horrible!!! Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

hey guys, a question for the experienced ones?

have a friend eligible for the graduate entry one and applied for both mature and graduate entry and has received the email to send his documents in? how does that make sense? does eligible people for the graduate entry can apply for mature entry too?

I know that the other Universities won't look at someone who's eligible for the graduate entry. I guess RCSI must have an exception to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Teacake25

What sort of background/degrees do people have on here? I'm a pharmacist, working in hospital setting. I have a 2:2 so only eligible for mature entry.

Midwife, left hospital to repeat Leaving Cert etc as I also wasn't eligible for Postgrad.

• Advertisement

Chemistry degree but not eligible for grad med. Repeated my LC last year but only got 530... I have a feeling if my hpat was lower then 160 maybe they overlooked it cause of a reasonable good LC.

jody24 wrote: »
    hey guys, a question for the experienced ones?

have a friend eligible for the graduate entry one and applied for both mature and graduate entry and has received the email to send his documents in? how does that make sense? does eligible people for the graduate entry can apply for mature entry too?

RCSI take everyone as eligible for mature entry, technically somebody could apply to RCSI as graduate entry, mature and cao undergrad all in same year.

Most other colleges take mature applicants only if they are ineligible to apply as graduates (ie no 2.1).

Vet, not eligible for grad entry :(
    Also applied as undergrad/cao. I have 585 leaving but my HPAT was dogsh&t last year so didn't get CAO place, I've a feeling its not much better this year either so I'm not optimistic.

I'm a nurse, qualified in 2011 with a 2.2 due to a misspent youth so no mature entry for me, repeated the leaving cert last year (let's not talk about that detour:rolleyes:) and I am doing a post grad dip in RCSI this year. Teacake I heard they always have a pharmacist in the group!

EternalGeek I assumed repeating the LC would of literally walked you in to a mature place! Whatever points you come out with it really shows dedication and determination. Did they mention it at interview?

I got 540 points, and I brought it up at interview because I thought that way I could control it a bit better. The feedback I got was actually just 'this is only your first year applying and we prefer to see repeat applicants as it proves commitment and you still have the chance of getting in as an undergrad :(

I got 540 points, and I brought it up at interview because I thought that way I could control it a bit better. The feedback I got was actually just 'this is only your first year applying and we prefer to see repeat applicants as it proves commitment and you still have the chance of getting in as an undergrad :(

I'm a repeat applicant! So I'll see you in RCSI in Sept! :pac:

Haha, yoppo, heres hoping!! Did you go for an interview last year? Did you get feedback from it?

I'm also a repeat, haha. 3rd times the charm ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

I've a degree like most- but it's an unrelated field (finance) and not enough for GEM- never did science in school as my parents pushed me toward business. 12 years later I'm doing a few science LC subjects and hoping my life experiences will stand to me.

If it works out this year great- if not next year ill be doing the full LC and trying on the double (CAO and mature)

out of interest are many here first timers? Have many been trying for a few years? Many here been through the interviews before? And lastly what age are most (I'm a 30 year old with 3 kids)

Advertisement