Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

RCSI said last year cut off was 160 but it can vary depending on the year. Seems VERY early for hpat results to have hit rcsi.. I've a funny feeling they've sent the email to everyone who applied and then will only open whoever is about cut off when they get results and calculate what that may be... (I've zero evidence for this btw! Just a feeling in me waters ;-))

I hope that's not the case. I didn't receive that email last year. I got a straight rejection in Mid April.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭livk

The HPAT results are read by a machine in seconds. I'd believe it if the Universities said they had them 4 weeks ago. I'd wonder why RCSI would suddenly change how they do things. There's no reason for them to accumulate a load of information they're just going to throw out. We'll wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Has anyone who applied not got the email this year? Like I said its only a suspicion based on zero evidence, I hope it's not the case. Universities have just received the list of applicants for mature places from cao so that timing fits -receive list, email everyone on it. It's about a month earlier than last years post hpat emails.. :(

I got emails from UCD and Cork almost a month ago now saying they had received my documentation. Maybe RCSI took their time collecting it, but I think everything at this point is just speculation. We won't know anything for 4 weeks.

Although, I have to say. I really don't want my HPAT results anymore. I think it's kind of unfair of them to change their system after all these years and get peoples hopes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

It is only 2.5 weeks earlier than last year :) I checked. We got the email on 11th April last year.

And judging by other threads it's gotten earlier every year. So fingers crossed it's the way it was always done.

I don't want mine either - certain I made a pigs ear of the HPAT !

I can't believe it's this time of the year again. I forgot how anxiety ridden I was. My UCC interview still feels like last week. Fingers crossed we all surprised ourselves in that HPAT. I'm the same as you, feel like I tanked it.

livk wrote: »
    I can't believe it's this time of the year again. I forgot how anxiety ridden I was. My UCC interview still feels like last week. Fingers crossed we all surprised ourselves in that HPAT. I'm the same as you, feel like I tanked it.

Someone should set up a support group for mature applicants, they'd be out the door! ;-)

On another note, does anyone know what's the story with UCD this year? I applied to them of course but afaik they took no one last year?.. Have they places for matures this year?

I don't even think people could answer that last year. I got an email that said they'd received my application, and I haven't applied as an undergrad, so, hopefully that means they're considering matures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

When I wrote to UCD last year asking for feedback why I wasn't asked for an interview etc.., they eventually responded with a letter that stated, it is unlikely that UCD will run the mature Student admissions to medicine programme in the future.

They also said that there were only 1 or 2 places available last year. Again very vague. Surely they had an exact figure? They also said that they assessed only people who got 180 and above in the HPAT and then shortlisted these applicants on their previous work experience, volunteer work etc etc.

Yet it was open to apply again this year. I am totally confused by it all!!! Why the vagueness?

I know. It's really hard to know what to believe. I guess by saying that, it covers them if they change their mind or just don't feel anyone is worth admitting. Not sure why they're against mature students. Maybe there's been a bad history of with them?

Makes no sense to me, surely ucd would make money out of mature meds seen as generally we're on a second degree and fee paying. I find it hard to believe that ucd had no applicant worth admitting last year, I've met current mature meds in tcd and RCSI and their CV's are phenomenal. Sounds like they just can't be bothered or something.. unfortunate for us thou :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

Makes no sense to me, surely ucd would make money out of mature meds seen as generally we're on a second degree and fee paying. I find it hard to believe that ucd had no applicant worth admitting last year, I've met current mature meds in tcd and RCSI and their CV's are phenomenal. Sounds like they just can't be bothered or something.. unfortunate for us thou :-(

I agree. I can't see how UCD are benefitting from not taking in mature student applications.

Has everyone written their CV's, personal statements before they got the email from RCSI? I'm only starting it now! Also what do they want in the CV? Is there any difference from a normal job CV? I repeated my LC in 2013 but finished my degree in 2008. For the academic reference should I ask someone from my LC or degree? One last question!! Who is a good person to ask for a non-acedemic reference? My friends is a psychiatrist registrar and he offered to write me one if that is allowed.

Many thanks!! Would be great to see some of you in RCSI!!

I didn't have mine written at all. This is the first year i've heard from RCSI, so i'm in the middle of my statement too. I think having a reference from your friend is great, they've known you for a long time and are at a pretty high position in medicine as it is.

I'm in the same position as you education wise. I just collected a reference from where I repeated my leaving cert, as they knew me the best over the last 2 years. I don't think anyone from my university days would remember me as it is. Pick whichever you feel will write you the best one. I'd say Leaving Cert, as it's the most recent, and they saw you every single day.

As for the cv, normal CV but make it as relevant as possible to Medicine in order of how you present what you've done.

I'm still tearing my personal statement to pieces. Not sure i'll ever be happy with it.

I didn't have mine written at all. This is the first year i've heard from RCSI, so i'm in the middle of my statement too. I think having a reference from your friend is great, they've known you for a long time and are at a pretty high position in medicine as it is.

I'm in the same position as you education wise. I just collected a reference from where I repeated my leaving cert, as they knew me the best over the last 2 years. I don't think anyone from my university days would remember me as it is. Pick whichever you feel will write you the best one. I'd say Leaving Cert, as it's the most recent, and they saw you every single day.

As for the cv, normal CV but make it as relevant as possible to Medicine in order of how you present what you've done.

I'm still tearing my personal statement to pieces. Not sure i'll ever be happy with it.

Cheers for the reply. If Ireland reject me I am off to Slovakia but I would love to stay in the country. I don't know how I can subtly include my desperation into my personal statement.. I assume all volunteer work will go into the CV but expanded in the personal statement?

Absolutely. Any volunteer work you've done at all, in order of most relevant/impressive to least. And I completely understand, i'm trying to sort out backups right now too, but the lack of funding from banks for going abroad means I probably won't be able to.

For my CAO section 2 thing, I did up a giant personal statement and posted it instead of filling in the boxes online, so i'm changing it around so it's suitable to send in now.

Best of luck with the statements!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

I haven't been on this thread for a while but I got an offer last year for RCSI so I'll try and give you some tips about references. Hopefully it'll help.

If you had a thesis advisor or anything along those lines while you were in college and they remember what work you did I would probably give in that reference before the Leaving cert one but if not don't worry about it and hand in the leaving cert one. TBH hand in both if you want, no harm in it really!

If you've done any work experience/volunteering try and get a reference from someone involved in that. A doctor you shadowed, manager of a nursing home etc.

If you've worked in any medical settings try and get a reference from your employer. If you haven't you could still ask your employer for a reference and decided later whether you want to add it in or not.

I'm pretty sure I handed in a normal CV but obviously mentioning all the medical related work. Also don't forget to send in proof of everything you have mentioned in your personal statement.

Interview offers will be coming up about 2 weeks after you hand in this info to RCSI and then the interviews are 2 weeks after that.
    If anyone has any question about the interviews just let me know

Best of luck

Unfortunately, my university supervisor definitely won't remember me at this stage. I have a wonderful reference from my repeat school, it'll have to do I guess. Hopefully they'll take it as seriously.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, my university supervisor definitely won't remember me at this stage. I have a wonderful reference from my repeat school, it'll have to do I guess. Hopefully they'll take it as seriously.

If they gave you a good reference then don't worry about the college one if you think your supervisor won't remember you.

I repeated the leaving cert too. I didn't use any reference from that but I think they do look at the fact that you repeated it again as a good thing. shows you are determined to get.

Be prepared to talk about it if you get an interview too. I think was asked about it in most of my interviews and, I would say if they don't ask you about it definitely bring it up yourself. Its a good talking point around determination and commitment

Just in case it helps anyone... I asked RCSI who do they prefer to see as referees (asked them at the mature open eve so both the admissions officer and academics were there to answer). In short they said they prefer recent, the guy answering I think was head of school, he said if you (ie me!) finished your degree 5years + ago, they really weren't interested in an academic referee from that uni as it was too old to be of relevance.

I'm sure if there's no other options it's totally acceptable and I know of one person who did use an 'old' referee and has a place, but I thought I'd share as I was totally confused last year as to who to use and in case anyone wasn't at the open eve to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

Livk I am in the exact same position, I finished my degree three years ago and I dont think my supervisor knew me when I was sitting in front of him, never mind three years later!
    I repeated the leaving last year and have a good referee from my chemistry teacher and one from the manager in work (Im a nurse), so theyre the ones I will be using.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

hey guys
    just a question!
    wonder if luck of hopital or medical related experience is a huge disadvantage? as basically i dont have any!!!

jody24 wrote: »
    hey guys
    just a question!
    wonder if luck of hopital or medical related experience is a huge disadvantage? as basically i dont have any!!!

Since most other people would usually have some sort of medical experience I would say yes, but if you can show in a different way that you have an interest in medicine and you have a good hpat score they might look past that.

thanks Fiddles44.

would getting the email to send your cv. and statement not mean, that i have met the hpat cutoff?
    another question, do u not think a degree in biological and biomedical science not enough to compensate for the work experience that i lack?
    btw thanks for ur answers.

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    Since most other people would usually have some sort of medical experience I would say yes, but if you can show in a different way that you have an interest in medicine and you have a good hpat score they might look past that.

but would receiving the email to send my cv and statement not mean i have a competitive hpat score?
    another question would a degree in biological and biomedical science not enough to compensate for the medical experience?
    and wat about voluntary work with unicef and unhcr? would those not help?

i appreciate your answer :)

Eternalgeek - ha, I'm a midwife! :) I don't have one from a manager, because they've also long forgotten me, but I do have one from a senior midwife I worked with in neonatal.

Jody - Your Degree and a good HPAT result will have good standing with them, but they want to make sure you understand the realities of a degree in Medicine, which is why any experience is so important for them. Or at least that's what they told me when I asked about specifics. The Unicef work is great and will help, but I think if at all possible, to try and get in for even a day to some form of medical setting in the next month so you have something further to show them. It's highly competitive getting into this course, there's no point in us saying 'no don't worry, you'll be fine with that'. I think it's important to do as much as humanly possible between now and interviews so you give yourself the best chance.

• Advertisement

Totally agree with what livk has said. I didn't realised you had a biomedical degree or worked with unicef, that would be considered relative experience.

Like livk said, they do want to see you know what you're getting yourself in for and what having a career in medicine will mean in the future aka the long hours, the commitment needed, giving up personal time etc etc. Basically they don't want to offer a place to someone they think is going to drop out further down the line.

Even if you could spend a day sitting in with your local GP that would be good.

Another thing I have seen mentioned its the horrible matter of funding :(. Just to give people a heads up for interview, RCSI asked me start out if I was going to able to fund myself through the next 5 years. Trinity weren't so blunt about it but they did ask. Even if you don't have funding sorted by the time of the interviews I wouldn't tell them that. Like I said before, they dont want to give a place to someone they think is going to drop out later because of finances or other reasons

Advertisement