Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭jones

Lads anyone have issue with the top 1.5cm of the screen not accepting inputs? My sister has the M8 and last week she noticed the notification bar stopped working. I did a hardware test on the screen and its not accepting any input on the top 1.5cm of the screen. Makes the phone very hard to use.

Is there anything that can be done software wise or is this just a screen fault? I remember I had an old HTC legend years ago and the same thing happened mine, the digitizer went in - I presume its the same on this phone too?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,822 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hi!

When I look for newer contacts that I've added on my M8, I don't see them in my contact list. If I start typing the number in on the dialer, it guesses the contact I was looking for. I've checked and from what I can see, I have both phone and sim contacts on display. Can anyone figure it out?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Hi!

When I look for newer contacts that I've added on my M8, I don't see them in my contact list. If I start typing the number in on the dialer, it guesses the contact I was looking for. I've checked and from what I can see, I have both phone and sim contacts on display. Can anyone figure it out?

You could be adding the numbers to your Google contacts. Set the phone to show Google contacts as well.

It's always good practice to keep all your contacts on Google account rather than phone or SIM. Just in case anything happened the phone and you couldn't restore from backup (assuming you use backup such as the HTC backup)

That is exactly what was happening. Thank you so much!

The facebook app is eating my battery. I deleted it and I got back up to two days use. I reinstalled it and it hasn't even lasted a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,286 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The facebook app is eating my battery. I deleted it and I got back up to two days use. I reinstalled it and it hasn't even lasted a day.

Can you not use facebook mobile?

Works well and you shouldn't have battery issues

I don't think it's as user friendly as the app but I might have to. There's not many alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They need to introduce more flexible or aggressive app power management. iOS apps that attempt to eat too much standby power just get suspended by the OS.

I still find Android is too dependent on developers being sensible. Google should assume the worst :)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They need to introduce more flexible or aggressive app power management. iOS apps that attempt to eat too much standby power just get suspended by the OS.

They did. It's called the HTC Power Saver. Not the Extreme one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭jdbarry

Has anyone ever had issues with the earpiece speaker giving up? Have mine just over two months, hasn't been dropped or damaged but yesterday morning when I went to make a call only speakerphone worked. Backed it up and restored it but the issue is still there, anyone have any ideas on how to fix it easily or have a notion what the problem might be?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

I updated as soon as it was available. Absolutely no problems at all. Prefer the new update and slight battery life improvement. Especially like the lock screen notifications.

I would say the opposite.. Updated(non root).. Can't get a day out of the battery, notifications don't appear on the top bar when the phone is locked, sometimes if I go to type something, the keyboard won't appear... Response time seems to have slowed down...

Really not happy with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

What provider are you with ColmH81? That doesn't sound right at all.

One thing I would recommend is to let the battery run dead (one time) before charging it to 100%.
    After the update it seemed to me like maybe it was running out quickly, but after leaving it on until it died, then charging to 100% it was much better. I think it can 'forget' the full scope of the battery and you might find that it lasts a lot longer on 5% or so than expected.

If not that, it does sound like something is hogging the CPU in your case. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dbmauser

just uppdated to lolipop or whatever it is. iv lost facebook but messenger still works. the play store is stuck on downloading you tube so i cant get FB back. anyone else get this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

dbmauser wrote: »
    just uppdated to lolipop or whatever it is. iv lost facebook but messenger still works. the play store is stuck on downloading you tube so i cant get FB back. anyone else get this

Cancel the YouTube download

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Minor query.
    For people with O2 branding on their HTC Ones, should we expect and update sent down by 3, or are we stuck with the O2 logo on startup?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭inbrodericko

Where's the cheapest to buy a screen to replace yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Where's the cheapest to buy a screen to replace yourself?

I am not sure a screen is ever a good replacement of oneself. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45,286 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Anyone getting the M9?

From looking at specs and information released I'm fairly underwhelmed.

Did the HTC team lose a key innovator after the M7?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

jones wrote: »
    Lads anyone have issue with the top 1.5cm of the screen not accepting inputs? My sister has the M8 and last week she noticed the notification bar stopped working. I did a hardware test on the screen and its not accepting any input on the top 1.5cm of the screen. Makes the phone very hard to use.

Is there anything that can be done software wise or is this just a screen fault? I remember I had an old HTC legend years ago and the same thing happened mine, the digitizer went in - I presume its the same on this phone too?

I've had both the HTC Hero and a One V. On both phones the screen failed after a period of time. Two phones, same manufacturer. It's never happened with any other phone I've owned and has seriously put me off buying another HTC phone. I had been hoping they moved past this but clearly not which is a damn shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Anyone getting the M9?

From looking at specs and information released I'm fairly underwhelmed.

Did the HTC team lose a key innovator after the M7?

Coming from the M7, while there are some tangible features that would interest me on the M9, I think in general I'm feeling like a change. Probably go with the S6 Edge in platinum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

I've had both the HTC Hero and a One V. On both phones the screen failed after a period of time. Two phones, same manufacturer. It's never happened with any other phone I've owned and has seriously put me off buying another HTC phone. I had been hoping they moved past this but clearly not which is a damn shame.

Well my M7 has been very reliable and how the screen is still in tact I don't know. However over the last couple of months I'm getting the purple tinge on most Camera shots. Its one month shy of two years old, so I'll try get that fixed under warranty, wont hold my breath though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Minor query.
    For people with O2 branding on their HTC Ones, should we expect and update sent down by 3, or are we stuck with the O2 logo on startup?

The my o2 app has changed to three anyway although its still as bad as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hero, Desire HD, One X, M8 - no problems, no broken screens. I'll be sticking with HTC for the foreseeable future because they've been ultra reliable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mr E wrote: »
    Hero, Desire HD, One X, M8 - no problems, no broken screens. I'll be sticking with HTC for the foreseeable future because they've been ultra reliable for me.

Seeing this post got me thinking what handsets i've had, all HTC's

Hero
    Legend
    Desire HD
    One x
    M7
    Now on M8

HTC all the way for me, never really had an issue with any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭jones

scudzilla wrote: »
    Seeing this post got me thinking what handsets i've had, all HTC's

Hero
    Legend
    Desire HD
    One x
    M7
    Now on M8

HTC all the way for me, never really had an issue with any of them

I've had three HTC's

legend
    m7
    m8

I've also had countless nokia's in the early 00's, a Panasonic, Samsung S2 and the iphone.
    This year though if I wasn't in the middle of a contract I think i'd be going with Samsung S6 edge over the m9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Well my M7 has been very reliable and how the screen is still in tact I don't know. However over the last couple of months I'm getting the purple tinge on most Camera shots. Its one month shy of two years old, so I'll try get that fixed under warranty, wont hold my breath though!

HTC give a full 2 year warranty as opposed to having to use your statutory rights so they will fix it if you bring it back soon. Who knows, they might even send you an M9 replacement! Well M8 is more likely...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Ive had:

Hero
    Desire S
    Butterfly
    One M7

Will be getting the M9 as soon as its available, might hold out a while for the grey version... Its a perfect upgrade for me, and the inclusion of an SD card comes at the right time for me, as I'm about to abandon my iPod.

I never liked the M8, it always felt like a step backwards in design from the M7. Im told that the M9 feels much better in hand and answers allot of my critisisms of the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 razzala

Anyone send back a M7 back to SBE for the purple camera repair that also had a cracked but working screen. Wondering will they charge to fix the screen before repairing the camera under warranty?
    Thanks.

razzala wrote: »
    Anyone send back a M7 back to SBE for the purple camera repair that also had a cracked but working screen. Wondering will they charge to fix the screen before repairing the camera under warranty?
    Thanks.

I sent my M7 to SBE for same issue with a long crack on the screen. SBE warned me that when they sent it to UK, I would be charged for replacing screen. However I received the phone back 2 weeks later with screen and camera replaced and no mention of payment for screen.

Try it, you might be lucky like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Albas wrote: »
    Has anyone had an issue with no service? My M8 is showing full bars, but I can't dial, text or use data?
    Vodafone says coverage is fine, that it must be my phone.
    Google has been no help, so just wondering if anyone here has a fix???

This used happen with my One M7 and I'd just re-boot my phone to sort the issue.

Hope it gets resolved for you,

Advertisement