Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker £199

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Considering buying one of these but i'm thinking as I only ever drink americanos, would this particular machine be surplus to my requirements and if so, any recommendations of what would do the job nicely for making a good HOT americano?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Considering buying one of these but i'm thinking as I only ever drink americanos, would this particular machine be surplus to my requirements and if so, any recommendations of what would do the job nicely for making a good HOT americano?

I have the 4200 about a month and use it mainly for americanos. I boil the kettle at the same time and then use the machine for an espresso and top up with boiling water for an americano. Works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

I have the 4200 about a month and use it mainly for americanos. I boil the kettle at the same time and then use the machine for an espresso and top up with boiling water for an americano. Works perfectly.

Same for me using the 2800. Lovely cup o coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Thanks for the input. So for making Americanos, what can this machine do better than the De'Longhi Dedica Style EC685M Traditional Pump Espresso Machine for example?

Thanks for the input. So for making Americanos, what can this machine do better than the De'Longhi Dedica Style EC685M Traditional Pump Espresso Machine for example?

I would say consistency. I had a similar de'longhi pump machine before and sometimes I would get a good cup of coffee, but other times if I got the process slightly wrong e.g. didn't compress the grind correctly or tightened the pump slightly different I'd get a watery coffee. With the bean to cup once I let the settings at my preference I get the same cup of coffee every time. I can actually taste the difference between beans, something I rarely got before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

What settings are you using for that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Glebee wrote: »
    Not that gone on the XXL Classica beans. I find there other beans in the large blue bags are better.

Any other recommendations for good beans?

sorry for normcore recommendation but at a loss recently i popped into starbucks and grabbed a bag of their dark espresso roast and its delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

mahers and ponaire are both great (Irish companies too)

dor843088 wrote: »
    What settings are you using for that ?

I just set the coffee dial to the max and the water dial to about 30%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

sorry for normcore recommendation but at a loss recently i popped into starbucks and grabbed a bag of their dark espresso roast and its delicious.

Traitor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Where can I buy these beans?

Deisler wrote: »
    Where can I buy these beans?

Both have websites. Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

+1 for Ponaire ... Been using them for years. The European Blend is my favourite bean!

Must try Mahers - although no free shipping I see :mad:

keith_d99 wrote: »
    +1 for Ponaire ... Been using them for years. The European Blend is my favourite bean!

Must try Mahers - although no free shipping I see :mad:

Maher's .spend 30 for free shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

3 for 2 on this and free delivery for orders over £50. You could order 7 kilos for £55. Coffee freezes well. Freeze them in the bag they come in and allow to defrost fully before transferring to an air tight jar.

https://www.discountcoffee.ie/signature-whole-bean-1kg

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

I've always found Bailies very good - they have 15% off at the moment and the sterling rate is favourable at the moment

https://www.bailiescoffee.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

the_pod wrote: »
    I've always found Bailies very good - they have 15% off at the moment and the sterling rate is favourable at the moment

https://www.bailiescoffee.com
    Is there a discount code needed

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I just set the coffee dial to the max and the water dial to about 30%.

Any reason why you don't just set the water dial higher?

It's not hot enough. I use the water from the kettle for the top up and it's a lot warmer than if I fill the cup fully from the de'longhi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

NATLOR wrote: »
    Is there a discount code needed

"JANUARYBREWS"

Shows up under "Shop" on their page

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The amount of water very much affects the extraction time and strength of the coffee - you should be looking for approx 30ml from each shot in your cup - no more. If you want a long black/americano add hot water from the kettle first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

The amount of water very much affects the extraction time and strength of the coffee - you should be looking for approx 30ml from each shot in your cup - no more. If you want a long black/americano add hot water from the kettle first.

This.

I have my dials set at 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock and gradually adjust the grind to taste for each bean (only turn the grind dial while it’s actually grinding beans) . Overextracted coffee tastes bitter. Underextracted cofee tastes sour. Once I have that dialled in I adjust my water to ensure it’s delivering 28ml of water. And never use the double shot button - it just uses more water for the same amount of coffee. Always use 2 single shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

stimpson wrote: »
    This.

I have my dials set at 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock and gradually adjust the grind to taste for each bean (only turn the grind dial while it’s actually grinding beans) . Overextracted coffee tastes bitter. Underextracted cofee tastes sour. Once I have that dialled in I adjust my water to ensure it’s delivering 28ml of water. And never use the double shot button - it just uses more water for the same amount of coffee. Always use 2 single shots.

Good info thanks. 2 o'clock sounds very weak on the strength dial. Personal taste. I'm going to try out these tomorrow, I've been lazy with it and having the same max water and med/High strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Laundry_Hamper

Maher's .spend 30 for free shipping

Sort of silly - if I spend €30 I won't be grinding fresh coffee!

Guys I'm trying to get my 4200 set up.
    All I'm getting is the top lights flashing but nothing else.

Am I missing something?

Coffee in is the hopper and water in the reservoir.
    I've the dials set 10/2 and the water one on nearly full.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Anyone having issues with frothing milk at the moment? Mine used to be creamy and consistent, in the last week or so it seems to reach boiling much quicker than ever and starts spluttering and splashing......anyone encountered this?

Guys I'm trying to get my 4200 set up.
    All I'm getting is the top lights flashing but nothing else.

Am I missing something?

Coffee in is the hopper and water in the reservoir.
    I've the dials set 10/2 and the water one on nearly full.

I'd unplug and reset and start again. I had some teething issues at first but got there eventually.

I'd unplug and reset and start again. I had some teething issues at first but got there eventually.

Do I need to do something to reset it?
    The instructions aren't very clear.

• Advertisement

Do I need to do something to reset it?
    The instructions aren't very clear.

Sorry I probably worded that badly in hindsight. There's no reset button I can think of, more move all the dials back to their starting position etc. It's been almost a year since I set mine up so a little vague on the details at this stage.

Advertisement