Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker £199

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

Alan McG wrote: »
    The temperature of the steam coming out of the frother is well above 100C. Milk is technically "scalded" at 82C, but you'd want to stay below 74C.

Basically the various proteins start to denature, or break down. It gives the milk a dirty taste.

I bought one of these to keep an eye on the temperature. Although after a while you'll just get used to learning when it's done.

I just put some milk, say a quarter cup full, into a small jug and steam it for about 2 or 3 mins.
    The manual says use low fat. I use regular. I think it said the steamer can be used for up to 3 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alan McG

travist wrote: »
    I just put some milk, say a quarter cup full, into a small jug and steam it for about 2 or 3 mins.
    The manual says use low fat. I use regular. I think it said the steamer can be used for up to 3 mins.

2 or 3 mins!? Jaysus, no wonder your coffee tastes like crap.

I think you should look up how to steam milk on the Youtube. There is lots of good advice on it from professional coffee-knobs - me, I'm just an amature one.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I usually get a thin metal jug for steaming and go until you can start to feel the warmth from it bit not for too long. That being said, I'm not good at getting good foam!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

The temperature of the steam coming out of the frother is well above 100C. Milk is technically "scalded" at 82C, but you'd want to stay below 74C.

Basically the various proteins start to denature, or break down. It gives the milk a dirty taste.

I bought one of these to keep an eye on the temperature. Although after a while you'll just get used to learning when it's done.

I have a regular milk frothing thermometer and a metal jug, usually heat to 65 ( think that's what it says to stop on the thermometer) would I be better off keeping it at that temp or going a little higher?

Also maybe it's the placebo effect ( probably wrong word) but I always feel I get a nicer coffee (milk seems smoother and creamier) from an actual shop than when I make it at home, is that just down to the better equipment or am I not frothing it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Probably a combination of better equipment and the fact their making coffee all day so have just mastered it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Reduced on delonghi uk site from £469.98 to £259.00 but code CELEBRATE18 takes a further £67 off so £193.61.
    Free postage to UK , £330 on amazon, seen on HUKD

http://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/products/coffee/coffee-makers/automatic-coffee-makers/magnifica-esam-4200s-0132212136

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alan McG

Awesome, Thanks!

http://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/products/coffee/coffee-makers/automatic-coffee-makers

Probably a better deal on the ECAM 23.120.B, at only a tenner more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Is it just me or the site crawling?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Although after a while you'll just get used to learning when it's done.
    I froth my milk in a stainless steel jug and hold it in the palm of my my hand rather than by the handle. When it gets to the point that I can't hold the jug any more, it's done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Reduced on delonghi uk site from £469.98 to £259.00 but code CELEBRATE18 takes a further £67 off so £193.61.
    Free postage to UK , £330 on amazon, seen on HUKD

http://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/products/coffee/coffee-makers/automatic-coffee-makers/magnifica-esam-4200s-0132212136
    They must have changed the level of discount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Looks like the code is not working at all anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Anyone having to descale a lot? I have a 4200, but I'm descaling I would say about once every 6 weeks, which seems excessive to me. I live in a hard water area but we have a filtration system for the house so I would assume it would be tempered by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Anyone having to descale a lot? I have a 4200, but I'm descaling I would say about once every 6 weeks, which seems excessive to me. I live in a hard water area but we have a filtration system for the house so I would assume it would be tempered by that?

You're supposed to set the water hardness level on the machine. It flashes for descaling at X amount of cups based on the setting. Check inside your manual - there's a water hardness testing strip in there somewhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Your filtration system may not be removing CaCO3 from the water effectively (for example- it may need to have consumables replaced- or it may simply not be designed to do what you think it is doing............)

I'd suggest run the cold kitchen tap for about 1 minute- take a midflow glass of water- and do the hardwater test on it.........

The standard food grade desert citric acid works perfectly in the machine btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

In trouble with my 2800 for the last week or so. Infuser keeps getting stuck in different positions. And now I just have 4 alternating red lights. Have tried the various methods online, i.e.removing drip tray and keeping grain container in place and that worked once or twice but not now. Not sure if I go to Argos or delonghi for help, but have sent an email to delonghi anyway. Anyone have a similar issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ParkyJiSung

I have a 2800 I got this Christmas time last year from argos-- after moving into smaller place now and missus wants it out- any takers for it before I put on donedeal/ adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I have a 2800 I got this Christmas time last year from argos-- after moving into smaller place now and missus wants it out- any takers for it before I put on donedeal/ adverts?

Ah here, no need to be selling the missus yet. I'm sure ye can work it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

New and never used or have you been using it?

roper1664 wrote: »
    New and never used or have you been using it?
    Used, but rarely- still availabke if anyone looking

Used, but rarely- still availabke if anyone looking

what kinda figure were ya thinkin

• Advertisement

what kinda figure were ya thinkin

Only to get back what i paid, €110.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭RossD1983

Only to get back what i paid, €110.

Hi, if you would be willing to post this (ParcelMotel should be somewhere between 5-10), I will take it off your hands, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol_

Where you based would be interested in this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

I'd give ya the 110 for it.

Could organise to get it anywhere in kildare Dublin or Wicklow.

currently on amazon.co.uk 4200.s at £250

worth jumping at that?

currently on amazon.co.uk 4200.s at £250

worth jumping at that?

Yes, IMO. I have that model and bought the auld lad the cheaper one last Christmas in Argos when on offer. I can't remember what I paid for it but I think it was £199STG in the Black Friday sale last year.

You could buy it and leave it unopened for a couple of weeks and ask for a refund of the difference I guess OR return it if it's cheaper on BF?

It's not significantly better than the cheaper model IMO (I've used both), but I do think it looks a little better, it's more stylish IMO if that's important to you?

the wife, man, the wife

bought, thanks for steer. was 95% sure of getting it for xmas anyway so as well to pull the trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sponsorgate

234 sterling on Amazon at the moment, will pull the trigger if goes to 199 again this year?

234 sterling on Amazon at the moment, will pull the trigger if goes to 199 again this year?

If you can stretch to the 4200model it's better IMO.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 28112827

I’d say this is it for best Amazon price.... pulled the trigger

Advertisement