Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker £199

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

thomasm wrote: »
    I appear to have a small stone caught in the mill which I've diagnosed by trouble shooting from the manual The suggested fix is to call customer support.

Nah, forget about customer support. Just empty your machine, hold it upside down and shake it violently. If not fixed, try poking with something soft (like a wooden tooth pick) into the grinding mechanism. Rinse and repeat. Had it about 3 times myself, all in the first year of owning it funny enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

thomasm wrote: »
    I have this machine for over 2.5 years now and its got used a lot producing great coffee and never given me any trouble until now. I appear to have a small stone caught in the mill which I've diagnosed by trouble shooting from the manual The suggested fix is to call customer support.

There is it seems no telephone support for this machine and I have been advised to email them which I have done twice in the last two weeks with only an automated reply by return and nothing else. I've tried numerous options and phone numbers only to be told every time the only option is email and this is not getting replied to. Would anyone have any ideas how to talk to someone about this issue or get it resolved

I filled out this form is the past and got an answer in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

unkel wrote: »
    I have mine 5 years now, thanks to the OP :)

A few hiccups in the first few months when hard parts of beans halted the grinding mechanism (and the machine needing to be turned upside down and shaken hard to get rid of said bits), but no issues since. Needs descaling once or twice per year alright, but if you ignore the warning light, it still keeps making coffee

I guess we have made at least 5,000 coffees with this machine in those 5 years :cool:

Or in other words if the machine died today, it would have cost about 5c per coffee in depreciation, about 1c in electricity costs and about 9c in beans, or a grand total of 15c per coffee :)

Same as that, I have mine 5 years also. Never had a problem and its still going strong. Needs descaling every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Have mine over 2 and 1/2 years probably one of the best things I have ever bought in my life.

Paid I think 180 euros for it from the amazon warehouse on black Friday. Mother and father we'll they paid for it as xmess gift.

Costs about 16 euros for a good strong expresso bean 1kg bag.

Get about 100 plus coffee out of a kg.

Only thing that's a pain is the descaling every 4 months.

Delonghi wonted crazy money for there own brand one.

Went with a 3rd party one 750ml for 9 euros and seems to be OK so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Which one and where do you get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

spoke too soon im afraid

next cup delivered grounds all down the side again, three drips of coffee from the machine and what seems like good coffee into the drip tray from the back.

edit: googling suggests a good clean of spouts and the funnel mechanism. ho hum

The brew unit needs to be cleaned and greased. It's jammed in the picture you linked. The video here shows you how to do it. You'll need some silicone food grease.

https://youtu.be/XYuGUAgXBvU

Replace the O-rings while you're at it. They are available from loads of sellers on eBay.

I just did it on mine and it's really not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Have mine over 2 and 1/2 years probably one of the best things I have ever bought in my life.

Paid I think 180 euros for it from the amazon warehouse on black Friday. Mother and father we'll they paid for it as xmess gift.

Costs about 16 euros for a good strong expresso bean 1kg bag.

Get about 100 plus coffee out of a kg.

Only thing that's a pain is the descaling every 4 months.

Delonghi wonted crazy money for there own brand one.

I'd be interested what descaler...also what bean you go for?
    I agree...me and my work colleague best €70...80 each...we ever spent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

I use a tub of chemist bought citric acid and dilute it with water. Run it through the machine when required and have had no issues what so ever and works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I used a descaler I bought in Tesco when I descaled about a month ago. In the past I've used one from SuperValu too. The supermarket descalers do the same job for a third of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Delonghi Ecodecalc is €12 in DID or Harvey Norman. I wouldn’t use anything else’s as citric acid will kill the seals. It only has to be done every couple of months so I figure I may as well use the right stuff.

• Advertisement

afraid ive had little luck with this since

every second or third cup the brew unit is locked in place and machine needs resetting, the unit taken out for cleaning (see pic)

i only use filtered water and havent changed any settings re grind or anything, and when i take the brew unit out the mechanism that sweeps the used puck isnt caught or trapped in any way

ive checked out the videos about taking the unit apart and lubing it etc, well and good but ive only had it a few months- should i be expecting to have to do it that regularly?

before i decide to send it back, has anyone any ideas what might be the cause at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

afraid ive had little luck with this since

every second or third cup the brew unit is locked in place and machine needs resetting, the unit taken out for cleaning (see pic)

i only use filtered water and havent changed any settings re grind or anything, and when i take the brew unit out the mechanism that sweeps the used puck isnt caught or trapped in any way

ive checked out the videos about taking the unit apart and lubing it etc, well and good but ive only had it a few months- should i be expecting to have to do it that regularly?

before i decide to send it back, has anyone any ideas what might be the cause at this stage?

Anyone try the Aldi beans? I particularly like the Italian blend, it's number 4 I think. Less than 2 euro so worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Del007 wrote: »
    Anyone try the Aldi beans? I particularly like the Italian blend, it's number 4 I think. Less than 2 euro so worth a shot

They have a brand from Cork which I like. Look out for velo in a white package.

I picked up a new coffee in lidl recently. So far I'm enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I have the softest of soft water so didn't bother installing the limescale filter. Will my Delonghi still complain at some stage, even though I have a 9 year old kettle that still looks brand new on the inside?

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    They have a brand from Cork which I like. Look out for velo in a white package.

I picked up a new coffee in lidl recently. So far I'm enjoying it

They don't have Velo in beans though, do they? I've never tried Lidl for coffee. Try the Aldi bean, it's very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

They don't have Velo in beans though, do they? I've never tried Lidl for coffee. Try the Aldi bean, it's very nice

They do, but it was always sold very quickly, leaving only the ground coffee in the box. Both come in the same box. I contacted velo about it and they said they are increasing the amount of coffee bean packets per box so hopefully it will be easier to get.

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    They do, but it was always sold very quickly, leaving only the ground coffee in the box. Both come in the same box. I contacted velo about it and they said they are increasing the amount of coffee bean packets per box so hopefully it will be easier to get.

I'll have a look later on for the beans. Isn't it about 4 euro for a bag, the Aldi stuff is less than 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I'll have a look later on for the beans. Isn't it about 4 euro for a bag, the Aldi stuff is less than 2

The best advice my mother ever gave me on food & drink is never try to save money by buying cheap coffee or tea.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    The best advice my mother ever gave me on food & drink is never try to save money by buying cheap coffee or tea.

I know what you're saying but have you tried it? I've had beans that have been far more expensive and haven't tasted half as nice.

If a coffee is €3.50 in one cafe or €2.50 in another? Will you automatically go for the most expensive as you think it'll be nicer?

It's quality you should go for, not the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Indeed. And I'm not suggesting by any means that one should always buy the dearest products. But, on the other hand, if you pay a very low price you're not likely to be getting decent quality.

• Advertisement

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Indeed. And I'm not suggesting by any means that one should always buy the dearest products. But, on the other hand, if you pay a very low price you're not likely to be getting decent quality.

That's usually true alright. I remember years ago I bought Tesco's own brand instant coffee, it was the worst drink I've ever had. Think it was 50 cent for a large jar

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

I know what you're saying but have you tried it? I've had beans that have been far more expensive and haven't tasted half as nice.

If a coffee is €3.50 in one cafe or €2.50 in another? Will you automatically go for the most expensive as you think it'll be nicer?

+1 on the aldi beans - I alternate between these and more expensive beans - and find them more than satisfactory

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Does anyone know whether I can use this to grind beans then take them out for use in an Aeropress? Basically trying to establish whether I also need to buy a grinder as I like varying how I make my coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Does anyone know whether I can use this to grind beans then take them out for use in an Aeropress? Basically trying to establish whether I also need to buy a grinder as I like varying how I make my coffees.

No, the grinder isn't accessible to use solely as a grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

banie01 wrote: »
    No, the grinder isn't accessible to use solely as a grinder.

Cheers for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭anitaca

229£ at amazon today.

I suppose nobody can give me a good reason not to get it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

anitaca wrote: »
    229£ at amazon today.

You might start drinking too much coffee :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

anitaca wrote: »
    229£ at amazon today.

Coffee rinds stink as they decompose?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Coffee rinds stink as they decompose?
    If you put them in compost bin, you shouldn't notice it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Anyone got any advice on where to get descaler? My light just came on

Advertisement