Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Interviews and Post-Interviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ferneo

I got the same email today! Delighted :-D I applied for youth and community work in ucc...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 merkal

Yup, see you there. We can team up and bully all the others, take their lunch money and what have you...because we'll be the big boys.

ha ha for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 crazycatlady18

@Milo - poor Bully, always overcompensating for some "thing" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bloodstormaoa

Delighted for all of you that received good news from UCC today! Well done! :D

Although I'm curious as to what your e-mails said given that the 'eligible' word is used... Was it similar to UL's "deemed eligible for mature entry... waiting list... CAO... preferences" lark or is it a more concrete offer?

Still petrified I won't get UL... :P

this is what it says

In connection with your mature application to UCC we wish to inform you that the following decision has now been reached:

CK102 Eligible for a Mature Offer
    CK101 Eligible for a Mature Offer
    Please note that formal CAO offers will only be issued for the highest CAO preference for which you are deemed eligible. These offers will issue on 3 July and will be based on your course preferences as at 1 July.

i was quite confused to be honest. i received the email this morning and actually ignored it as the word 'eligible' seemed to be imply that i COULD get it rather then DID get it.

after crazycatlady told me it was a provisional offer i called admission where i spoke to a rude woman who confirmed that the letter is not an offer but rather notice that i WILL get an offer on july 3rd.

• Advertisement

I'd say it looks pretty positive to be honest. Well I hope so!! There was another guy who posted earlier that he got a not deemed eligible email earlier...So fingers crossed it means we'll get the offer :D

ferneo wrote: »
    I'd say it looks pretty positive to be honest. Well I hope so!! There was another guy who posted earlier that he got a not deemed eligible email earlier...So fingers crossed it means we'll get the offer :D

YES that's what i was thinking too.

Are there any reasons why the CAO would not make an offer once the school says you're eligible for the offer?

She made it sound like it was simply a matter of protocol that the offer comes thru CAO and that if you did get an email stating you were eligible then you WILL get the offer. Agghhhhh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Are there any reasons why the CAO would not make an offer once the school says you're eligible for the offer?

She made it sound like it was simply a matter of protocol that the offer comes thru CAO and that if you did get an email stating you were eligible then you WILL get the offer. Agghhhhh :D

Ya, that's what they said to me as well when I rang them. The lady I spoke to, Diane, was really nice. She said they could have phrased it better, but if you're eligible it means you're getting an offer for that course.

yeah i'm sure it's fine.

the lady i spoke to was rude and a smart ass. she had me read the second line and said' there, its very clear', when obviously to me ( and others) it was not. when i asked her what 'eligible for an offer' meant, she said ' it means you're eligible for an offer. oh really!!!

anyway eventually i said ''so this email means nothing really so, nothing to get my hopes up about?. and she said ' it means you will be offered a place on juy 3rd''. it was like getting blood from a stone.

• Advertisement

merkal wrote: »
    yeah i'm sure it's fine.

the lady i spoke to was rude and a smart ass. she had me read the second line and said' there, its very clear', when obviously to me ( and others) it was not. when i asked her what 'eligible for an offer' meant, she said ' it means you're eligible for an offer. oh really!!!

anyway eventually i said ''so this email means nothing really so, nothing to get my hopes up about?. and she said ' it means you will be offered a place on juy 3rd''. it was like getting blood from a stone.

How hard would it have been for them to say, 'bruv, you're totes in babes,' or, 'you are eligible for an such and such a course so an official offer will be made in July.' They're creating this problem for themselves. The use of the word "eligible" makes the meaning illegible.

We're all all day like men with small penises trying to engage in the sex act, 'am I in? Am I in? Please tell me if I'm in.'

And i'm all day like a woman with a man with a small penis engaging in the sex act 'i don't know, i.don't.know., I Don't Know'

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Ye it's fairly annoying that they don't just come out and say it but when I got my "eligible for consideration" email from UL I rang them and spoke to Mary in admissions (sound woman in fairness). She was saying that the emails could be clearer but that whoever was successful at the interview got that email and they can't issue the offers themselves as the undergrad must go through CAO due to order of preference and all that. So once you have it as your 1st choice you should be fine (I hope!).

Congrats again to all those who got their UCC offers.

Yeah, Mary's great! I've had to communicate with her a lot and she's always been very helpful. I'm hoping the same as you Ross, but UL just won't give as straight an answer as UCC it seems.

Pulled this from the MSO section of the website "Candidates who successfully pass the mature assessment are placed on a merit list. Offers are made to candidates on the merit list until the mature places are filled.", which seems to indicate that it depends on where you're placed on UL's list as well... so...

I'd say you'll be fine, but with Psychology there's no interview... only the written application so it's a bit dicier for me I feel. Ah well! :P

EDIT: So I was speaking to the course director (ahem) directly and she informed me how many mature students were 'deemed eligible' this year, how many they intended to take and where I fell on the waiting/merit list. Obviously it's down to how many preceding me have UL as their first preference, but it doesn't look good for me.

Ah well, at least I can manage my expectations now rather than get too excited.

It'll be a long 2 weeks before the 3rd July that's for sure!

Ross1986 wrote: »
    It'll be a long 2 weeks before the 3rd July that's for sure!

So true, it's going so slowly.

Best of luck man, hope to hear good news on the 3rd!

Same to you mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭char101

Same to you mate!

Hey just letting you and everyone one know I emailed cao this morning because I was anxious that I didn't receive my offer and they replied back saying mature offers will be made available tomorrow friday 4th from 10am via email/sms and a formal letter will also be sent. So another days anguish it seems!

Ye it seems that the colleges got the dates wrong;

Ye it seems that the colleges got the dates wrong;

Jebus, you'd expect University to have their poopy together a bit better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

I'd imagine the Uni's probably did have their ducks all in a row as they all said the same date; that they themselves would have received from the CAO, who are independently running a day and 4hours late.

Con: many of us probably wasted a night of sleep waiting on possible results today&are now so hopped up on coffee that we may not rest properly until after tomorrows results come out.

Pro(?): Time is quite possibly an illusion, brought on by our experience, so there's possibly no difference between results today, results tomorrow or even results next Christmas!

More coffee

ah yeah just checked the letter that cao sent us few weeks ago and it DID state clearly that offers would be sent out by post on the 3rd july (to arrive from the 4th) and emails will be sent on the 4th july at 10am. so i assume letters too will start arriving tomorrow. excited!!!

Got the offer from UL, absolutely delighted as that was my only option after getting rejected from UCC and DCU. It means I don't have to move to the UK now to go to college! Thanks to everyone who posted up info about the interviews, etc.

Hope everyone gets what they wanted!

yayyy!! first choice offered and ACCEPTED!. social science in UCC here i come. september cannot come soon enough. congrats to everyone who made it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭char101

Just accepted my offer for Social Work in UCC.....its all very real now! Roll on september! Congrats to all who received their offers today and best of luck with the studies!

Whoo! Just accepted youth and community work in ucc! Best of luck to everyone :-)

just to let you all know that the UCC provisional timetables for 2014/2015 are online now. this makes it VERY real and helps with planning especially for any of us with kids and childcare arrangements to consider.

go to timetable.ucc.ie
    select 'programmes' on the left hand side
    select your course from the drop down
    select the time frame you need to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oggyowl

Long time lurker. Thanks guys :)

Got my offer for history!

122 86th percentile for module one
    163 100th percentile for module three!

oggyowl wrote: »
    Long time lurker. Thanks guys :)

Got my offer for history!

122 86th percentile for module one
    163 100th percentile for module three!

Well done, you must be delighted. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Juney18

Looking for some words of wisdom from those who have gone before me as a Mature student. I have been invited to attend an interview for a place on B.Soc.Sc.Youth and Community Work (CK114) degree programme at UCC. There are two parts to the interview process; a group exercise and an interview. I honestly have no idea of what to expect, I would appreciate some tips please.

Advertisement