Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Interviews and Post-Interviews

Options
  • 15-03-2014 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey to all you prospective mature students out there!

Just thought I'd create a forum in which people could discuss their pre-interview thoughts/worries, relay information about interview dates and how their interviews actually goes as well as info about college offers. This will enable other future mature in the similar situations as all of us, to see what the interviews are like, when they are on and what to expect post interviews. Feel free to add your own spin to all this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Drezden

I suppose I'll get the ball rolling. I have applied for three courses, all three are level 8 Computing Courses. I'm really excited to get back to college, also a slight bit nervous but that's to be expected I supposed. Really looking forward to getting my head down and hopefully doing as well as I can.

My daily routine now involves checking my front door for mail and twice daily checking my email looking for any trace of a response regarding the interviews! Nothing so far, just confirmation letters of receiving my application and invitations to Open Days. Early days yet though I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

Drezden wrote: »
    My daily routine now involves checking my front door for mail and twice daily checking my email looking for any trace of a response regarding the interviews! Nothing so far, just confirmation letters of receiving my application and invitations to Open Days. Early days yet though I suppose!

Keep in mind that not every course will have Interviews, its best to check with the college as there is no point getting yourself worked up if there is no need too.

I planning on returning to WIT and the courses I'm going for don't have an interview process, their decision is made on both the CAO application and a Mature Assessment Form that they post out to applicants.

I not sure is the lack on an interview is good or bad, I think I may come a cross better in person than on paper.

either way fingers crossed until July 3rd =/

I just got an email from DCU saying that I've made the short list for the interview! My interview is on the 16th of April and it's for the course Computer Applications. I'm absolutely delighted since this is the main course that I want and partly shocked because I wasn't expecting a response so soon.

Now for some rigorous testing on interview questions which I'll continue up until the day of the interview. I can't wait! I'll let you know how I get on and I'll post up all the questions I get asked.

Best of luck nobodyknows, keep us posted on how you get on!

I've gone through tons of threads relating to mature student interviews and taken note of all the different questions that are asked. For the most part, the majority of people say that the interview is a pleasant, informal chat about whether or not you'd be able to handle the workload and the financial implications of going back to college. Here's a list of some of the questions that have come up in several threads, for a variety of different courses:

• What have you been up to since you finished school in (insert year you
    completed/left school here)?

• How will you support yourself?

• What made you decide to do this course?

• Why did you choose (insert college you applied for here)?

• Did you look at other colleges?

• What's your most proudest achievement since leaving School?

• Where do you see yourself, if in 2/3/4/5 years after you graduate?

• How does this course relate to what you are doing now, or does it?

• What has changed since you applied and left this course? (a question for
    those who have already been to college, didn't complete their degree and are
    now re-applying as mature students)

• How would you get along with attending classes with 18 year olds?

Or another variation of the same question:
    • How do you think you will cope with many students in the class a lot younger than you?

• What do you know about the profession that you will be working in if you
    complete the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Great tips there, thanks!

Another couple of things would be to emphasize that you have support of your family and friends for the practical things like child minding etc if applicable. Show that you fully understand the implications of commiting yourself to 40+ hours per week of study and lectures.

They will probably ask you what are you reading at the moment. Make sure you remember the author, title and be able to give a quick synopsis of the last couple of books you read. Whatever you do, don't say "I'm not a big reader" or anything like that. I'd imagine it would be frowned upon considering you're applying to be buried in books for the next 3-4 years! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

Moomat wrote: »
    Show that you fully understand the implications of commiting yourself to 40+ hours per week of study and lectures.

I did my interview last year and am nearing the end of first year Software Development. The above mentioned point is an important one, you need to make it clear that you can manage and understand that for the 20-25 hours of lectures you do per week, you will do the same number of hours study a week outside of lectures. I assume this is a big issue causing mature students to drop out of courses so make sure you highlight that you are prepared to put the work in.

Also, show them that you are interested in what you are applying for, genuine interest is a great way to show that you are a good candidate.

Best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cian_MC

Hi everyone,

Have applied to UCC to go back as a mature student this year, am thinking I will have an interview next month (well hopefully anyway) and was just wondering if anyone that has previously had a mature student interview for UCC can shed any light on what sort of questions they will ask? Will it be mainly questions like "Why do you want to go back to college?" Or actual questions relating to course work and the knowledge that you already have in relation to the course you are applying for? I am applying for BIS in UCC and also a couple of other courses in different colleges, Business in DCU and UCD. Any answers much appreciated thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Prairie Girl

Hi Drezden thanks for starting a great thread! I'd say you've covered most of questions that could be asked alright. Delighted to hear you've made short list too.

I've applied for level 7 course in DIT and it's all consuming! My life has been taken over by the excitement of it all but terrified also that I may not get that coveted place. ��

Moomat, that's a great tip about books being read at the moment. I would never have thought of that.

I have been told that some courses may not have interviews and just depends on demand also by mature students. the college also told me it could be after exams are over in May before I hear if there are interviews.

Keep in touch and I Hope we all hear good news ��

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

I went for an interview in St Patricks in Thurles a few years ago and was asked about how my experience was relevant to the course, how my experience would benefit me, why I wanted to return, why teaching and that college. It was fairly specific to me and the course I had chosen rather than generic why do you want to go to college questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

I went to interviews for commerce and Accounting in UCC last year.

There was 3 people interviewing me.

Know the course back to front and maybe pick out a few modules your looking forward to doing.

http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/commerce/index.html

Know what kind of job you can get from your degree. Also mention some places you'd like to do your work placement in.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/media/support/careers/destinations/businesslaw/BSc(BusinessInformationSystems)2011.pdf

They might also ask about how your gonna support yourself financially during the 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

shawki wrote: »
    They might also ask about how your gonna support yourself financially during the 4 years.
    Yes, I was asked this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Threads merged. Please keep all interview stuff to this thread please. Also we have a great thread already that covers a lot of the application and interview process for mature students: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

shawki wrote: »
    I went to interviews for commerce and Accounting in UCC last year.

There was 3 people interviewing me.

Know the course back to front and maybe pick out a few modules your looking forward to doing.

http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/commerce/index.html

Know what kind of job you can get from your degree. Also mention some places you'd like to do your work placement in.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/media/support/careers/destinations/businesslaw/BSc(BusinessInformationSystems)2011.pdf

Thank you for this info, never even thought about questions like "where would you like to do work placement?" etc

Does anyone know how long these interviews generally are? I know all interviews are different but like are they less then an hour? I am presuming they are not as long as a lot of job interviews (over an hour etc)

Cian_MC wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long these interviews generally are? I know all interviews are different but like are they less then an hour? I am presuming they are not as long as a lot of job interviews (over an hour etc)

The interview I have with DCU is supposed to only last for 20 minutes, according to the email they sent me. Some people have mentioned that their interview was as short as 10 minutes. As you said it varies from college to college and from course to course. I'm sure other people who have already had their interview will give a more accurate reflection on how long the interviews last. But I'd be surprised if the interview goes over half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

I had been told by a career guidance councillor in my local VEC to be well prepared for interview as there was a high demand from mature students for the course i applied for,so i had been preparing myself well the last few weeks going over questions i may be asked. Got an email from my intended college this morning saying i would not be required for interview and the looked forward to welcoming me in September, i couldn't believe my luck!

bizzyb wrote: »
    I had been told by a career guidance councillor in my local VEC to be well prepared for interview as there was a high demand from mature students for the course i applied for,so i had been preparing myself well the last few weeks going over questions i may be asked. Got an email from my intended college this morning saying i would not be required for interview and the looked forward to welcoming me in September, i couldn't believe my luck!

Lucky for some eh! Well done anyway and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Prairie Girl

well done to you bizzyb that's great news! best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 emerlola

Great info on the questions! Anyone have any tips on the interview for returning to study pharmacy technician?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 siobhand1

From my experience and I am extra mature they can spot interest and what mostly concerns them is commitment. Are you there for the long haul,what do you understand by BIS? Have you done a PLC or some research into the course. Be yourself as if you could be anybody else I know, sometimes you can get lost in the preparedness. So turning up, being chatty and genuine is really what it is all about.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I have an assessment test for Blanchardstown town it on the 16th of April at 2.45 pm . I'm dreading it but also looking forward to it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

I have an written assessment next Thursday for Mater Dei in Dublin, Does anyone know what these consist of?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Just out the door from a mature interview in NUI Maynooth: thought I'd died a slow death in there, but they told me it was a very positive interview. Moral of the story I guess is to not overthink the situation; they're there to have an informal chat with you, as many others here have said, not have a pre-rehearsed conversation that spews out pristinely perfect rhetoric at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Best of luck with the outcome! What sort of questions were the asking you?

Thanks; good luck with yours, which I'm assuming is on the way!

Nothing shocking asked; they were sort of just making sure I was financially and mentally prepared for an investing 4 years. Also, they asked whether I had any previous experience with any of the subjects involved in the course during my time in a previous college jaunt fado fado. It was the head of the department I'm applying into, along with the Registrar I beleive who were interviewing me: both came across as lovely people.

What course was it do you mind me asking? Just found out that I've an interview for PE in UL in May, I'd applied to UCC as well so I'm just delighted to have the opportunity to interview rather than your outcome being decided by the MSAP (joke of a process). I'd imagine that the UL interview will be a bit more specific as it's a teaching course so will do as much preparation as I can. Anyone with any info, it would be greatly appreciated.:)

The course in maynooth was pharmacutical & biomedical science this time around, waiting on interviews from both Galway institutions as we speak. Can't help with UL info I'm afraid, which is ironic; being from limerick, but I'm guessing they'd probably just focus a mite more on interpersonal skills or whatnot as you'd need to be able to engage with your students.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 musegirl

I have an written assessment next Thursday for Mater Dei in Dublin, Does anyone know what these consist of?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

I am also doing the written assessment. I asked the person who called me about the assessment what it consists of. She said that it's an assessment prepared by the English dept that involves reading a piece (prose or an article, I'm supposing) and answering questions. They are looking for your ability to reason, identify themes, put together a cohesive answer etc. Seems like it's not really possible to prepare for it.

I had my first interview a few days ago. It was for Computer Applications in DCU. I was ridiculously nervous before I got into the interview. But once I got in and started chatting those nerves went completely and the interview itself went great.

The two men interviewing me were both very pleasant but they were also very thorough. They wanted to make sure I understood the ramifications of getting a place in the course as a mature student. They wanted to know that I was confident in myself, motivated and capable of dealing with the challenges involved in the course. They gave a very detailed explanation of what the course involved and what would be expected of a student of Computer Applications.

Here's some of the questions that I was asked.

- Why did you choose this course?

- What have you done to prepare for this course?

Since I had already left a course, they wanted why I left the course and what had changed since then.

- Most mature students have some life experience that they can bring to the challenges of the course. What challenges have you overcome that would demonstrate your own motivation and persistence?

On my personal statement I had mentioned having some programming experience. They asked me a very basic question on printing out the contents of an array. This question probably won't come up for most others, since prior programming experience is not necessary for the course.They were merely hoping that I could follow through and demonstrate what I suggested from my personal statement.

Any questions from prospective Computer Apps students in the future, feel free to send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bloodstormaoa

^ Congratulations! :D

Has anyone heard from UL about interview dates?

I contacted admissions 3 weeks ago ago and they told me that the course director was still making decisions but "dates should be decided in the next week or so". I'm a little worried to not have heard anything, plus I'm currently abroad and would like time to organise flying back.

• Advertisement

What course did you apply for? I have an interview for P.E teaching on the 8th May, the interviews are being held on 8th & 9th of May according to the admissions.

Advertisement