Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Interviews and Post-Interviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

char101 wrote: »
    Haha. Yeah I really think maturity is needed for this course. If I don't get this course I will be going back to cork college of commerce to do psychosocial awareness....the course includes mental health, disability, social inclusion etc so I am hoping that will better my chances again when applying but I will also apply for social care in CIT too. The thoughts of going to UCC are daunting but exciting at the same time! I suppose what is meant to be won't pass you (I am trying to stay as positive as possible) :D

Ya, that's a good idea, looking in to some lower level courses. My plan this year is to wait for the cao results to see if I got an offer, and then consult the mature student application office to get advice as to what courses would be best. Or, I might just ditch social work and just copy you. You seem to have it pretty together.
    I know UCC do, kind of, feeder courses, that's not the right term, but it's something like that. At least now I'm certain of where I want to be, as opposed to just drifting, like I was.
    I was fairly positive about getting in, but as time goes on I'm getting more and more negative. I'm kind of like a human futon, when I got out of the interview I was fairly comfortable, but as time passes, I'm growing less and less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭char101

Ya, that's a good idea, looking in to some lower level courses. My plan this year is to wait for the cao results to see if I got an offer, and then consult the mature student application office to get advice as to what courses would be best. Or, I might just ditch social work and just copy you. You seem to have it pretty together.
    I know UCC do, kind of, feeder courses, that's not the right term, but it's something like that. At least now I'm certain of where I want to be, as opposed to just drifting, like I was.
    I was fairly positive about getting in, but as time goes on I'm getting more and more negative. I'm kind of like a human futon, when I got out of the interview I was fairly comfortable, but as time passes, I'm growing less and less so.

It's just a long time to wait I suppose. I would love to know when they ring the references too. I think we should be happy to have got this far :) we'll I know I am anyway. There are lots of courses out there that you can do. The academic year is very short the time will fly BUT no point feeling defeated we still need to get the answer...which will be positive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Well I would take it as good news if they got in touch . I don't take they would if they weren't considering you . I hope you get your place . Along with everyone in this thread .

So I rang them because the email was confusing and they said that everyone who passed the interview was sent that email. Basically, the offers have to come through the CAO now and it's all down to peoples order of preference, etc. UL is my 1st choice so hopefully the offer will come through in July. Big relief knowing I passed the interview so now I'll just sit tight until July.

Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Ross1986 wrote: »
    So I rang them because the email was confusing and they said that everyone who passed the interview was sent that email. Basically, the offers have to come through the CAO now and it's all down to peoples order of preference, etc. UL is my 1st choice so hopefully the offer will come through in July. Big relief knowing I passed the interview so now I'll just sit tight until July.

Best of luck to everyone.

Ah then I Would say you have a good chance of gettin it . I mean I got called forward for an inferview for Tallaght IT and I actually put them as bottom choice for both my level 7 and level 8 courses . So you might have people who got called forward by UL who did the same as me . Anyway I hope you come back here in July with good news .

It's just a long time to wait I suppose. I would love to know when they ring the references too. I think we should be happy to have got this far :) we'll I know I am anyway. There are lots of courses out there that you can do. The academic year is very short the time will fly BUT no point feeling defeated we still need to get the answer...which will be positive :D

Yera, once this month is over it will fly. I'm looking forward to hearing from them. Going to pass the time doing some thinking....sorry, drinking. Nah, I have a few things lined up for the next couple of weeks, so that will take my mind off of it.
    Have you got anything lined up? Or, are you working?
    We'll find out in fifteen to twenty eight days, which isn't that long like, when you compare it to the lifespan of....I don't know, a rock?

• Advertisement

Yera, once this month is over it will fly. I'm looking forward to hearing from them. Going to pass the time doing some thinking....sorry, drinking. Nah, I have a few things lined up for the next couple of weeks, so that will take my mind off of it.
    Have you got anything lined up? Or, are you working?
    We'll find out in fifteen to twenty eight days, which isn't that long like, when you compare it to the lifespan of....I don't know, a rock?

I have nothing lined up as of yet, I might go home for a week or two to say hi to my family! I am on the outlook for work too, which isn't going so well :(

I have nothing lined up as of yet, I might go home for a week or two to say hi to my family! I am on the outlook for work too, which isn't going so well :(

Visiting your family should be nice, especially if you haven't seen them for a while. Must be hard on you. Are you from a different part of the country? Kind of makes me want to root against you, coming down here, stealing our education :)

Just joking. Obvs.

Not long now. Two to three weeks.

We should make a deal, if one of us gets in and the other doesn't to share the year one coarse work with the other, like a contingency plan. So the other will be prepared the following year. Or even, like, knowing somebody on the inside come next year for the interviews will be handy.

Visiting your family should be nice, especially if you haven't seen them for a while. Must be hard on you. Are you from a different part of the country? Kind of makes me want to root against you, coming down here, stealing our education :)

Just joking. Obvs.

Not long now. Two to three weeks.

We should make a deal, if one of us gets in and the other doesn't to share the year one coarse work with the other, like a contingency plan. So the other will be prepared the following year. Or even, like, knowing somebody on the inside come next year for the interviews will be handy.

Hahaha. I'm from Tipperary, I moved to cork two years ago. I love it here, it's a great city and the people are very friendly which is always a plus! Over the past two days I have being thinking non stop about the course and keep telling myself I haven't made it :( it's driving me mad.

I agree totally, if one of us gets in we must share all the info of the year! Uggghhhhh...the thoughts of re applying.
    I emailed admissions and they said keep an eye on our emails from the 2nd week in June.

Hahaha. I'm from Tipperary, I moved to cork two years ago. I love it here, it's a great city and the people are very friendly which is always a plus! Over the past two days I have being thinking non stop about the course and keep telling myself I haven't made it :( it's driving me mad.

I agree totally, if one of us gets in we must share all the info of the year! Uggghhhhh...the thoughts of re applying.
    I emailed admissions and they said keep an eye on our emails from the 2nd week in June.

Aww yeaaah, Tipperary. I have a joke I use on girls from Tip, never fails to get a laugh...wait no, a slap. It never fails to get me slapped. Can't tell it here though, because of it's "Carry On" style bawdiness. 'People are friendly......?' You must be in the pre stabbed stage of living in Cork...the honeymoon period if you will. Ahh, no, we're all great, we really are. Voted the most handsome men in Ireland, that's official. A scientific poll.

Ya, I've been going a little crazy myself, but then again, we all go a little crazy sometimes. I even tried some meditation today and when I finished I was worse. I didn't even know that could happen. Then I looked at the name of the video and it said, "meditation for stress." Not," meditation to reduce stress." What an hilarious misunderstanding.

Cool, so, are you going to go home? Have you found anything to fill your time. It helps to keep yourself busy to keep to take your mind off of it. Thanks for the info, 2nd week of June. That's great news :D Really cheered me up. The two weeks will fly by. It was killing me when I thought it might be a month.

And they're going to let us know by email....classy move UCC, classy move. That's only slightly better than a rock through the window with a note tied to it.

Aww yeaaah, Tipperary. I have a joke I use on girls from Tip, never fails to get a laugh...wait no, a slap. It never fails to get me slapped. Can't tell it here though, because of it's "Carry On" style bawdiness. 'People are friendly......?' You must be in the pre stabbed stage of living in Cork...the honeymoon period if you will. Ahh, no, we're all great, we really are. Voted the most handsome men in Ireland, that's official. A scientific poll.

Ya, I've been going a little crazy myself, but then again, we all go a little crazy sometimes. I even tried some meditation today and when I finished I was worse. I didn't even know that could happen. Then I looked at the name of the video and it said, "meditation for stress." Not," meditation to reduce stress." What an hilarious misunderstanding.

Cool, so, are you going to go home? Have you found anything to fill your time. It helps to keep yourself busy to keep to take your mind off of it. Thanks for the info, 2nd week of June. That's great news :D Really cheered me up. The two weeks will fly by. It was killing me when I thought it might be a month.

And they're going to let us know by email....classy move UCC, classy move. That's only slightly better than a rock through the window with a note tied to it.

I will be starting the gym next week plus getting some books on punctuation to be fully prepared for UCC :) . I just need to brush up on it. Im sure that joke about tipp is hilarious ;)
    Yep we will be notified by email first then offical letter will be sent in July.
    I don't think meditation would help me in the slightest!

• Advertisement

I will be starting the gym next week plus getting some books on punctuation to be fully prepared for UCC :) . I just need to brush up on it. Im sure that joke about tipp is hilarious ;)
    Yep we will be notified by email first then offical letter will be sent in July.
    I don't think meditation would help me in the slightest!

Oh did I say meditation? I meant medication. Gym will be good, you'll need to be fit so you can run away from all the boys that will be chasing you around campus.
    Really, books punctuation? Or did I miss something. I am having a bit of a slow day, but my hair looks fab so it evens out.
    Excited now. July. My, my, my, my, my, my, my...July. I hope we get the letter on Mundy. (wordplay?....I love it)

Oh did I say meditation? I meant medication. Gym will be good, you'll need to be fit so you can run away from all the boys that will be chasing you around campus.
    Really, books punctuation? Or did I miss something. I am having a bit of a slow day, but my hair looks fab so it evens out.
    Excited now. July. My, my, my, my, my, my, my...July. I hope we get the letter on Mundy. (wordplay?....I love it)

:) haha once your hair looks great thats all that matters :D....yep books and punctuation. ..u read that right lol

:) haha once your hair looks great thats all that matters :D....yep books and punctuation. ..u read that right lol

I don't think you need books on punctuation. Anybody that is going to be critical of your punctuation is lost up their own colon. Hyphen opinion that nobody needs to learn about punctuation, full stop.

I don't think you need books on punctuation. Anybody that is going to be critical of your punctuation is lost up their own colon. Hyphen opinion that nobody needs to learn about punctuation, full stop.

Hey
    I rang UCC admissions today and they said the acceptance/non acceptance emails will be sent out the middle of this month :)

Hey
    I rang UCC admissions today and they said the acceptance/non acceptance emails will be sent out the middle of this month :)

Cool thanks :) So next week? I'm getting fairly agitated when I think about it. The only way I can get through is by putting it out of my mind. I really hope it is next week. I really, really hope it is.

Cool thanks :) So next week? I'm getting fairly agitated when I think about it. The only way I can get through is by putting it out of my mind. I really hope it is next week. I really, really hope it is.

I hope so too as the waiting is wearing thin on me at this stage. There are times I feel like bawling because at that time I tell myself I have not got in and to just except it and then there are times I am clinging on to that tiny glimmer of hope. It's all quite sad really!

I hope so too as the waiting is wearing thin on me at this stage. There are times I feel like bawling because at that time I tell myself I have not got in and to just except it and then there are times I am clinging on to that tiny glimmer of hope. It's all quite sad really!

No, it must be a natural thing, because I'm right there with ya gurrrrrl! I was literally going to say the exact same thing with this message.

The thing for me is, I was confident going in to the msap, I was okay after it, I wanted the top ten percent but fell just shy, I got in to the top fourteen percent, or the eighty sixth percentile. I prepared well for the interview too, and I was fairly confident going in to it, and mostly coming out of it. But as time passes I'm far less so....
    Getting in to this is the only thing I have in my life right now. If I don't get in there will be just...nothing.

But the numbers are on our side. 46 people interviewing for 25 places. Surely we did enough to beat 21 of them. Especially since some of them will have done nothing to prepare for being a social worker, and some of them don't even care about being a social worker. So the odds are okay. Numbers can't lie. Either way, we'll know next week.

P.s Sorry for the vent/over share.

No, it must be a natural thing, because I'm right there with ya gurrrrrl! I was literally going to say the exact same thing with this message.

The thing for me is, I was confident going in to the msap, I was okay after it, I wanted the top ten percent but fell just shy, I got in to the top fourteen percent, or the eighty sixth percentile. I prepared well for the interview too, and I was fairly confident going in to it, and mostly coming out of it. But as time passes I'm far less so....
    Getting in to this is the only thing I have in my life right now. If I don't get in there will be just...nothing.

But the numbers are on our side. 46 people interviewing for 25 places. Surely we did enough to beat 21 of them. Especially since some of them will have done nothing to prepare for being a social worker, and some of them don't even care about being a social worker. So the odds are okay. Numbers can't lie. Either way, we'll know next week.

I was just thinking if 16 turned up for your group and 19 turned up for mine, that's a total of 35 so our odds are better.
    You done very well in the msap so I would not fear if I were you. I understand that this is what you are existing for at the moment but therw are other options like access courses. I will be literally devastated if I don't get in but I have the college of commerce in the back of my mind and then re apply next yr.
    Don't apologise for your venting...it was needed :) I am worried that they have not rang my referees yet...well not to my knowledge anyway.

I was just thinking if 16 turned up for your group and 19 turned up for mine, that's a total of 35 so our odds are better.
    You done very well in the msap so I would not fear if I were you. I understand that this is what you are existing for at the moment but therw are other options like access courses. I will be literally devastated if I don't get in but I have the college of commerce in the back of my mind and then re apply next yr.
    Don't apologise for your venting...it was needed :) I am worried that they have not rang my referees yet...well not to my knowledge anyway.

• Advertisement

Access courses, that was the term I couldn't think of, thank you. The venting was needed, so thank you for that as well. And you're right, there are other avenues to explore, and I will. In fact, I know that if I have to apply again next year, that I'll have an even stronger application than I did this year. I'd just rather not have to wait. I already have a grey hair, this time next year I might have as many as two, or even three.

I wouldn't worry too much about the references thing. I presumed they wouldn't ring them. It seemed like a formality for me. Like, just to see if we could get them, or maybe if they were stuck, as a kind of tie breaker situation.

If you don't get in, try not to be too down on yourself. You already have a contingency plan in place to strengthen your application for next year. Allow yourself a day or two, then try to figure out how you could do better next time. You know what you want, it's just a matter of figuring out how to get it.
    I hope you do get it. Because of how much you want it. If you showed the interviewers even a smidgen of the passion you've shown me in our conversation then you're a shoe in.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Prairie Girl

Hello all I just wanted to give an update on my own situation! After rooting around and noticing that some people had been called for interviews in DIT I decided to email to ask if there was any news on interviews date......to be informed that letters had been sent out already and if I hadn't received one that I was unsuccessful this year.

Needless to say I was was completely distraught but after a few days I decided to contact admissions again to ask if possible for any feedback. I had applied on 5th March the first day for late applicants (this was due to not knowing when redundancies would happen in my workplace) anyway long story short this was the very reason - late applications were not looked at at all.

Would have saved myself a lot of hassle if known this in the first place! I actually had contacted the dept in question before I made my application and they had said to apply late...

Anyhoo at least I know I wasn't turned down because of my application and I'll be first in line when CAO opens later this year. Things happen for a reason and as it turns out I'm still in limbo regarding work with redundancies hanging over our heads in next weeks ahead.

Best of luck to you all and I wish you all the very best :):)

Access courses, that was the term I couldn't think of, thank you. The venting was needed, so thank you for that as well. And you're right, there are other avenues to explore, and I will. In fact, I know that if I have to apply again next year, that I'll have an even stronger application than I did this year. I'd just rather not have to wait. I already have a grey hair, this time next year I might have as many as two, or even three.

I wouldn't worry too much about the references thing. I presumed they wouldn't ring them. It seemed like a formality for me. Like, just to see if we could get them, or maybe if they were stuck, as a kind of tie breaker situation.

If you don't get in, try not to be too down on yourself. You already have a contingency plan in place to strengthen your application for next year. Allow yourself a day or two, then try to figure out how you could do better next time. You know what you want, it's just a matter of figuring out how to get it.
    I hope you do get it. Because of how much you want it. If you showed the interviewers even a smidgen of the passion you've shown me in our conversation then you're a shoe in.:)

The power of words....awh thank you and likewise I really hope you get it! You deserve it.
    I think if I get the email saying I got accepted I would faint haha....just knowing I am on the path to the career I really want is exciting and gut wrenching...we have got this far and for the ruh to be pulled from under us at this stage would be like a punch to the stomach but I would come back next year stronger :)....its great to have someone in the same boat though. It is hard to explaiin to other people what a roller coaster ride this all has been

The power of words....awh thank you and likewise I really hope you get it! You deserve it.
    I think if I get the email saying I got accepted I would faint haha....just knowing I am on the path to the career I really want is exciting and gut wrenching...we have got this far and for the ruh to be pulled from under us at this stage would be like a punch to the stomach but I would come back next year stronger :)....its great to have someone in the same boat though. It is hard to explaiin to other people what a roller coaster ride this all has been

Ditto gurrrl. I couldn't have put it better, it is a massive gut punch. Then there's this void, where you just feel empty. There's nothing to do. Until the application process begins again. The msap gives you something to work on, then the interview, then the waiting, although terrible, at least you have something, but if you get rejected...there's just nothing.

Ya, I can't express how thankful I am that I found you and this thread. I would not have liked to go it alone. :)

Ditto gurrrl. I couldn't have put it better, it is a massive gut punch. Then there's this void, where you just feel empty. There's nothing to do. Until the application process begins again. The msap gives you something to work on, then the interview, then the waiting, although terrible, at least you have something, but if you get rejected...there's just nothing.

Ya, I can't express how thankful I am that I found you and this thread. I would not have liked to go it alone. :)

I am shocked that there isnt anyone else here in our boat....or our yacht...yes I prefer yacht :) lol.....I looked back at other bsw threads from previous years and there is far more chit chat!
    It would be so funny if we both get it and on the very first day id be like is there a guy from boards.ie here....one grey hair...goes by the name milo....:) haha

I am shocked that there isnt anyone else here in our boat....or our yacht...yes I prefer yacht :) lol.....I looked back at other bsw threads from previous years and there is far more chit chat!
    It would be so funny if we both get it and on the very first day id be like is there a guy from boards.ie here....one grey hair...goes by the name milo....:) haha

Jebus, you keep saying the things I want to say but before I say them, I'm perplexed, and a little bit pissed, about there being only two of us as well. Do you....you don't think that they're hiding from us do you?

Ha, yes, I'd love if that happened. It'd be cool to kind of know somebody before we get there. That way we could could be the cool clique, and everybody else would have to try really hard to get in with us. We can rule them as king and queen of campus and make them....wo, wo, I carried away with that quite quickly.

Jebus, you keep saying the things I want to say but before I say them, I'm perplexed, and a little bit pissed, about there being only two of us as well. Do you....you don't think that they're hiding from us do you?

Ha, yes, I'd love if that happened. It'd be cool to kind of know somebody before we get there. That way we could could be the cool clique, and everybody else would have to try really hard to get in with us. We can rule them as king and queen of campus and make them....wo, wo, I carried away with that quite quickly.

Haha. It would be great to know someone at least we wouldn't feel alone on campus!
    It also would be great if other bsw hopefuls were here!

Haha. It would be great to know someone at least we wouldn't feel alone on campus!

Maybe when we get in, we could ask Ger Mannix for other successful candidate's email addresses and set up a forum here for people to chat? Not sure how UCC would be about giving out information like that though.

• Advertisement

Maybe when we get in, we could ask Ger Mannix for other successful candidate's email addresses and set up a forum here for people to chat? Not sure how UCC would be about giving out information like that though.

Hopefully people will want to be in our group hahahahaha...soooo childish but yet funny :)

Advertisement