Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most racist person you ever met.

Options

Comments

cerastes wrote: »
    I'm not defending the guy, met a SA with a similar attitude, but when they are brought up with it from childhood and live their whole lives like that, some people cant change, I heard similar things mentioned about protestants and even catholics up north, vitriolic hatred.

As entrenched as is possible to be he was. And like many of our brethren in the North, even discussing the matter was like a threat to his identity. It's so incongruous in a person who seemed completely reasonable in every other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Probably the South African I met in Bolivia who started to visibly shake with anger and spit violently with every word when she started talking about the "Blicks" in her country. Completely loo-la.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What do you work at as a matter of interest?

Dublin Airport

knew a woman in the states. She was Ethiopian (and black) and held quite racist views of African Americans, and inter racial relationships in general.... Two of her more memorable comments....

1. Said directly to an African American...."You are nothing like me, I am African, you are American, to be honest there is a good reason that my ancestors sold you in the first place...."

2. Said directly about her own sister (whom she found out was dating a white man)..."This has to stop, there will be no Café au lait children in my family...."

very sad really.....

She just sounds like a wagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

eviltwin wrote: »
    It was horrible, I wish I could say he was drunk, clearly mentally ill or something but he was a normal looking guy. She was fine but she was lucky she wasn't seriously hurt.

You win. Fcuking dickhead. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I met a black South American woman once was living in Ireland who told me that Ireland had been ruined by all the "small-eyed Asians" that we allowed in. That our culture had been diluted and Ireland was a disappointment.

She didn't see how her living in Ireland might be the same thing. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Sadly racist views can be found in all societies and at all levels in society, and I include Ireland in that.
    The most overtly racist comment I remember was when Conor Lenihan, a junior minister in the FF/PD coalition referred to Turkish workers being exploited by a company called GAMA as "the kebabs".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I was at the bus stop one day when a guy walked past and threw an empty beer bottle at a black girl beside me hitting her on the head and shouted some racist abuse. She was only a kid of about 13/14. I felt so ashamed to be white I can tell you.

You've taken the actions of one woman and used it to tar an entire race. That's prejudice. (c)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Was doing my shopping in Woolworths in Brisbane the other day.

Went to the register threw all my groceries up.. Old Woman (must have been pushing 70's) was having a grand chat with the couple ahead of me.

Came to me, she began passing the shopping threw the laser looked up and this is how the conversation went:

Big smiling nice old lady behind register: 'Hello young man how are you today?'.

Me in an Irish accent: 'I'm doing grand, very hot the last week hopefully we'll get a little rain soon, how are you?'

Her reply: 'Oh you're Irish? (Still grinning)'

My reply: 'Yes I am, I'm sure you're fed up with all the Irish out here.'

Her reply 'Ah sure atleast you're not black (still grinning but looked more serious this time)'

Shocked and didn't really know what to say to that as there was a black woman 2 people back beginning to put her groceries on the conveyor belt!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

A black person who was in a bad temper and acting the ass - didn't mention anything about race but was acting the ass so that's = racist... "they've" some chip on their shoulder.

Am I doing this right?
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Dont you read the newspapers? Only white people can be racist.
    All in your head dude.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

Probably the South African I met in Bolivia who started to visibly shake with anger and spit violently with every word when she started talking about the "Blicks" in her country. Completely loo-la.

Not as bad as the way the Irish treat the travellers???dont even allow them in hotels or bars??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

bear1 wrote: »
    Probably the English lad I met in Cork who said Ireland should belong to the UK.... poor bastard didn't see the abuse coming from the Corkonians :D
    That reminds me...a mate of a mate has an english accent but is an irish resident and pissed off a load of kilkenny people during a televised hurling match in a pub on purpose!! Everytime there was a score he'd say "now that's hurley" in his best english accent!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My granny was unbelievably racist. It was really just borne from ignorance as she probably never even saw a black person until she was in her 60s.

I recall a very embarrassing incident when we were at the hospital (she was late 70s at this stage) and I went up and got us soup and bread rolls. She refused to eat the bread roll because the "big black man touched it". I explained he was wearing gloves but she would have none of it.

On the other hand she always gave generously to "the little black babies in Africa" so I think she just had a warped view of what being black meant.

She also refused to eat fish after the tsunami because the fish would have been eating the people who had drowned.

marc96 wrote: »
    Not as bad as the way the Irish treat the travellers???dont even allow them in hotels or bars??

Why don't u open hotel or bar and let them in? I will see how ur business would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

elfy4eva wrote: »
    You've taken the actions of one woman and used it to tar an entire race. That's prejudice.
    In my experience, through many interactions with Africans (& I served in Sierra Leone, Rwanda & Djibouti), an awful lot of them do have a chip on their shoulder & are just as rascist as white supremascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

irishmover wrote: »
    Her reply 'Ah sure atleast you're not black (still grinning but looked more serious this time)'

Your reply should have been "good think I'm not a ****in convict banished to an island full of dangerous animals either, eh?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

MonstaMash wrote: »
    In my experience, through many interactions with Africans (& I served in Sierra Leone, Rwanda & Djibouti), an awful lot of them do have a chip on their shoulder & are just as rascist as white supremascists.

And just as many black people don't have a chip on their shoulder. You should be judging individuals on their own merits, not pre-judging them based on your past experiences of people who happen to share their race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Would you willy nilly, if you owned a pub/ hotel?

elfy4eva wrote: »
    And just as many black people don't have a chip on their shoulder. You should be judging individuals on their own merits, not pre-judging them based on your past experiences of people who happen to share their race.
    Agreed...not pre-judging, just stating a fact.

My eldest son is black from my relationship with a fine Jamaican lady who I will always love & respect :eek:

It's not rascist to state a fact...rascism is a two way street unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Anyone who suggests travellers in Ireland are treated as badly as black people were under apartheid is either having a laugh or in need of having their head examined.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

Would you willy nilly, if you owned a pub/ hotel?

Not my point,my point is racism isn't only whites against blacks or vice versa it's also the way travellers are treated?un from sa,not a racist vibe in my body but if you never lived in an apartheid country u got no experience to have an opinion.go live in sa for a year or two then come back and see if u still of the Dane mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ash23 wrote: »
    My granny was unbelievably racist. It was really just borne from ignorance as she probably never even saw a black person until she was in her 60s.

I recall a very embarrassing incident when we were at the hospital (she was late 70s at this stage) and I went up and got us soup and bread rolls. She refused to eat the bread roll because the "big black man touched it". I explained he was wearing gloves but she would have none of it.

My grandmother was never a racist as far as I knew, but once she was in hospital recovering from an operation, would have been in her 80's, and very much under the influence of medication. A black doctor was talking to her and she whispered very loudly to my sister 'You wouldn't think a place like this would let those sort of people in here'. The following day she was talking about the human experiments the hospital was conducting on black people, again within earshot of said doctor. You just had to laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I live in a small parish in a rural village, met no racist yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Not my point,my point is racism isn't only whites against blacks or vice versa it's also the way travellers are treated?un from sa,not a racist vibe in my body but if you never lived in an apartheid country u got no experience to have an opinion.go live in sa for a year or two then come back and see if u still of the Dane mindset.

Christ whatever point is hidden in there is hard to read.

I think there is a great difference between racism (disliking a group because of where they are from, or their colour) and common sense risk minimisation.

WikiHow, have u joined boards.ie in December of 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

My grandmother was never a racist as far as I knew, but once she was in hospital recovering from an operation, would have been in her 80's, and very much under the influence of medication. A black doctor was talking to her and she whispered very loudly to my sister 'You wouldn't think a place like this would let those sort of people in here'. The following day she was talking about the human experiments the hospital was conducting on black people, again within earshot of said doctor. You just had to laugh.

Reading this thread is telling me it's old Irish ladies are the most racist people out there :D
    I reckon this is a Catholic church throw back. Another racist bunch.

road_high wrote: »
    Reading this thread is telling me it's old Irish ladies are the most racist people out there :D
    I wonder how they feel about black priests :confused:

lukesmom wrote: »
    I'm not racist I just don't like blacks :) joke

The fact that u don't like blacks doesn't make you a racist. If u say that as a white person u r superior to blacks, then u can call urself a racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

road_high wrote: »

I think it's just that the only experience the older generations had of black people was what they were told when charities or churches were looking for money. All black people in their minds were poor, starving, diseased and in need.

They just didn't realise that some black people are educated etc. because they had never met, seen on tv or been told about black people being "the same" as them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I was in Germany last weekend staying with a friend of a friend who was obsessed with his hatred for Turkish people. It was awful, every hour we were there he mentioned Turkish people and said horrendous things. He even went up a German soldier of Turkish descent to complain about Turks, saying "You're ok but the rest of them are sh!t." Horrific.

Advertisement