Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPRING WEATHER 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Do you guys seriously expect this weather pattern to stick for 3 months, when did that ever happen?
    Besides, we had 1.4 mm of rain in Arklow today and 1.6 yesterday ...Oh and sunshine.
    Some of today was lovely albeit windy but of course in a westerly flow,the south east is last for the showers and at their weakest.
    At this rate well have a drought and I'd not be surprised if the rest of the country is below average at worst, so do you know what I expect, yes more of this interspersed with some fine spells

Saying otherwise just frankly in my opinion displays a complete lack of grasp of our climate.
    Use some intuition folks and quit the moaning about something that's far from as bad as you're letting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

whitebriar wrote: »
    Do you guys seriously expect this weather pattern to stick for 3 months, when did that ever happen?

Do you not remember the summers of 2008 and 2009? 2008,in particular was one long deluge. Here in Kerry,at any rate. 2010,2011 and 2012 were dismal enough too. So,yes,it could stick for three whole months.But I sure as hell hope that it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Besides, we had 1.4 mm of rain in Arklow today and 1.6 yesterday ...Oh and sunshine.
    Some of today was lovely albeit windy but of course in a westerly flow,the south east is last for the showers and at their weakest.
    At this rate well have a drought and I'd not be surprised if the rest of the country is below average at worst, so do you know what I expect, yes more of this interspersed with some fine spells

Saying otherwise just frankly in my opinion displays a complete lack of grasp of our climate.
    Use some intuition folks and quit the moaning about something that's far from as bad as you're letting on.

Where were you from december to april? that was basically 5 months of the exact same weather pattern, maybe 1 weeks break in between each bad spell, it was stormy every second day with intense winds, if you didn't even notice this you must be living in a hole somewhere underground. So yes the weather pattern could be like this constantly for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A bad May is not necessarily a disaster - think last year;)

Video wrote: »
    Where were you from december to april? that was basically 5 months of the exact same weather pattern, maybe 1 weeks break in between each bad spell, it was stormy every second day with intense winds, if you didn't even notice this you must be living in a hole somewhere underground. So yes the weather pattern could be like this constantly for a few months.
    You are adding a month or two to that spell though which wasn't there,whilst I will say it was actually our average winter weather with a added train of storms caused by an extreme winter cold anomaly in the States and Canada pumping cold energy into our Atlantic.
    None of which applies now.
    So no I don't see what the panic is about

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    Do you not remember the summers of 2008 and 2009? 2008,in particular was one long deluge. Here in Kerry,at any rate. 2010,2011 and 2012 were dismal enough too. So,yes,it could stick for three whole months.But I sure as hell hope that it doesn't.
    No I do not remember any spell of wet that started in May and lasted to September. I do recall years like the above where it rained a lot for two months alright but never 4 months like ye are saying. That's a hyperbolic prediction fed I think by an all too common if understandable dislike of our climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well things have changed that's for sure, but that's what weather does.

Yesterday was awful here in Leitrim. Wet cold and windy. One downpour produced torrents of water flowing down the drive.

We have animals still in. The grounds is to wet to get them out.

Wet winter then a fine April followed by a very poor start to May.
    Fingers crossed for an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

OldRio wrote: »
    Well things have changed that's for sure, but that's what weather does.

Yesterday was awful here in Leitrim. Wet cold and windy. One downpour produced torrents of water flowing down the drive.

We have animals still in. The grounds is to wet to get them out.

Wet winter then a fine April followed by a very poor start to May.
    Fingers crossed for an improvement.

As you say - that's what weather does - apart from 2012s disaster of a summer - weather generally changes a bit (or often more dramatically) from week to week - or even from day to day - or hour to hour.

could all change again in a week or 2

No I do not remember any spell of wet that started in May and lasted to September. I do recall years like the above where it rained a lot for two months alright but never 4 months like ye are saying. That's a hyperbolic prediction fed I think by an all too common if understandable dislike of our climate.

I assure you whitebriar,I am not prone to hyperbole. When I say it rained for three /four months,I don't mean non stop 24 /7 but I do mean 90% of the time. And that is exactly how it was in Kerry,especially in 2007 and 2008.And while I can't remember if 2009 was as bad,it was certainly quite dismal. Dislike of our Irish climate is based on realities such as this.

Ach,it's always raining down there,my mothers from there and one thing she always said since the move to Arklow is how dry it is up here.
    I know people from Galway who leave there to come to the east who say the same.
    I remember about 3 years ago or was it 4,when my well and others around here were going dry,whilst friends in Sligo had streams bursting banks.
    Today is sunny here,the temp maxed at 16.1c and there was not one drop of rain.
    That kind of weather has been common (and better) in this part of the east for the past few weeks.Though I know tomorrow will be wet.

So that's probably why,I'm not identifying with the moaning,it's not the same everywhere on the island and things could be far far worse :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

It's going to be a cool summer with lots of rain again I'm afraid. The jet-stream will be further south this summer bringing down cooler winds from the north. A cyclonic mass will take presedence over Ireland and Great Britain as this will leave us with a nice and cool summer, but much rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

It's going to be a cool summer with lots of rain again I'm afraid. The jet-stream will be further south this summer bringing down cooler winds from the north. An anti cyclone will take presedence over Ireland and Great Britain as this will leave us with a nice and cool summer, but much rain.

Wow, this really is meaningless. An anti-cyclone with much rain?

Wow, this really is meaningless. An anti-cyclone with much rain?

I got my wires crossed there, woops. Not an anti-cyclone, I meant the other thing, a cyclonic mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

road_high wrote: »
    Me too. I feel we are slipping back into they typical endless unsettled wet, cold and dull patterns of previous summers. I hope I'm wrong and we are getting some of the muck put of the way before summer...can only hope.

If we went back to the cool summers and colder winters pattern that we seemed to be in for a few yrs recently i would not mind if it was a poor summer- if it was followed by a cold winter. Last summer was the warmest since 2006 and last winter funnily enough was the mildest since 2006-7 and the most god awful one at that. I would not mind getting into a colder pattern again, i would gladly sacrifice a good summer in favour of a cold winter. Thats just my own personnel preferance of course. The summers of 2007 and 2012 were really dire though it has to be said,would not like this summer to be as bad as them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Billcarson wrote: »
    If we went back to the cool summers and colder winters pattern that we seemed to be in for a few yrs recently i would not mind if it was a poor summer- if it was followed by a cold winter. Last summer was the warmest since 2006 and last winter funnily enough was the mildest since 2006-7 and the most god awful one at that. I would not mind getting into a colder pattern again, i would gladly sacrifice a good summer in favour of a cold winter. Thats just my own personnel preferance of course. The summers of 2007 and 2012 were really dire though it has to be said,would not like this summer to be as bad as them though.

Last summer was unbearably hot at times, i would gladly take a cooler summer and more settled conditions over that. I would never want the winter we just went through again, terrible memories ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Last summer was unbearably hot at times, i would gladly take a cooler summer and more settled conditions over that. I would never want the winter we just went through again, terrible memories ! :P

That was the humidity in the first week of the heatwave. I remember a weather front interacted with the high pressure and as soon as it got cloudy, the humidity sky-rocketed.

I don't like sleepless nights because of humidity but it's better than wind and showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Yes indeed,not mad on heat myself,dont mind it for a few days but it soon gets on my nerves. Last winter was a nightmare ,a disaster,just want to wipe it from my memory. In fact since last july really the weather we have got is everything i dont want. Long hot summer and what then felt like an extented summer for much of last autumn followed by a mild,wet winter with little snow or frost and not even a little cold snap during the spring.

I don't mind a good cold winter, but I'm one of those people that can't manage the heat, especially high humidity. I always found that the humidity in Ireland especially in the summer last year is too much, can't breath properly and cannot sleep at all. No breeze at all with the dead heat.

17/18° centigrade with a light breeze is just perfect, but only if it stayed like that it would be grand. 30° centigrade with high humidity destroys me. Yes, I can't handle the heat at all for some reason, I enjoy colder weather easily when most people shake and jump under a big blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

And yet I long for long hot summers. I like the humidity if it's going to mean big thunderstorms but I'm just as happy with warm sunshine and low humidity with not a breath of wind. About 25c is just nice with those conditions.
    Would like cooler nights but no bedsheets and open windows keep me cooler although since I moved from the suburbs to the countryside a few years ago, I have noticed that the nights are a good bit cooler than the city but on the flip side, they are usually a fair bit warmer during the day, mainly due to lack of those annoyingly pesky cold sea breezes that used to be the bane of a warm summers day back in Dublin :(

It's amazing how different Irish-born people manage hot or cold conditions. Maybe I have some Icelandic DNA in me, because I wear a tee-shirt in 0° C temps and I'm warm. Will have to look up my ancestry on this one. I'd love a bit of snow now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

My ideal climate would similar to Northeast USA - snowy Winters and hot Summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm just back from a walk with the dogs. It's more like autumn here in West Cork. There was a bit of a gale and it was cold and damp. It's also quite dark and overcast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

past few days have felt horribly cold to me. I can't stand the rain, dislike wind. I definitely live in the wrong country because my favorite types of weather are hot, dry and sunny summers with some thunderstorms and very cold and snowy winters. As far as hot weather go's once the humidity isn't too high, im grand with temperatures up to 42C, experienced that quite a few times over the year's in southern Spain and really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Next weeks weather looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A yellow rain warning has been issued from met eireann for a good part of the country with rainfall in excess of 25mm forecast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

met eireann's forecast for next week isn't encouraging tho, looks like more of the same low to mid teen temperatures and rain somewhere everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Gonzo wrote: »
    met eireann's forecast for next week isn't encouraging tho, looks like more of the same low to mid teen temperatures and rain somewhere everyday.

They are often slow to commit to a change in weather - MT Craniums forecast seems to be showing an improvement for next week :confused:

I personally cannot stand the Irish climate.I think it's one of the worst,if not the worst in Europe. Temperatures hover somewhere in the teens winter and summer which is unseasonal for most seasons.Add in the humidity and it makes winter and winter clothes most uncomfortable and even winter sleeping, as it's any one's guess as to what tog the duvet should be.So we sweat through the jumpers and coats at 13 degrees in January and freeze our asses off in tee shirt and sandals at 15 degrees in July! Add to that the constant drizzle and grey skies and it makes you wonder why anyone would live here!

I reckon I have southern blood in me somewhere as I love hot summers.I have no problem with 30+ degrees,especially in countries like Spain, where you have air con indoors and you wear the minimum of clothes outdoors.That said, like many previous posters,I also like cold [but not freezing winters] Temps of 25-30 in summer and 4-8 in winter would be perfect for me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm a proper seasonal gobsh!te. ;) My ideal year would involve the summer of 2013 followed by the winter of 2010 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

acequion wrote: »
    I personally cannot stand the Irish climate.I think it's one of the worst,if not the worst in Europe. Temperatures hover somewhere in the teens winter and summer which is unseasonal for most seasons.Add in the humidity and it makes winter and winter clothes most uncomfortable and even winter sleeping, as it's any one's guess as to what tog the duvet should be.So we sweat through the jumpers and coats at 13 degrees in January and freeze our asses off in tee shirt and sandals at 15 degrees in July! Add to that the constant drizzle and grey skies and it makes you wonder why anyone would live here!

I reckon I have southern blood in me somewhere as I love hot summers.I have no problem with 30+ degrees,especially in countries like Spain, where you have air con indoors and you wear the minimum of clothes outdoors.That said, like many previous posters,I also like cold [but not freezing winters] Temps of 25-30 in summer and 4-8 in winter would be perfect for me.:)

Our species only left Africa relatively recently. The Irish climate is certainly hard on the body and mind - especially the older one gets

Advertisement