Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Thanks, I had a feeling it was a long shot, just don't fancy unloading it in a packed NCT car park. I might just get a mate to ride it up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Thanks, I had a feeling it was a long shot, just don't fancy unloading it in a packed NCT car park. I might just get a mate to ride it up

Thing I find when vrting stuff is a lot depends on the person doing it.
    Some have no problem turning you away if everything isn't spot on.
    Even having everything spot on they can make things awkward if they feel like doing so.
    No shortage of assholes employed in my experience.

blade1 wrote: »
    Thing I find when vrting stuff is a lot depends on the person doing it.
    Some have no problem turning you away if everything isn't spot on.
    Even having everything spot on they can make things awkward if they feel like doing so.
    No shortage of assholes employed in my experience.

The NCT lads are a pain, thankfully my days of trying NCT a modified car are behind me.

I'm trying to make sure I have everything sorted.

I have the full V5, the seller gave me the whole thing and I'll send back what I don't need, I have bill of sale and ferry tickets and the appointment was made today, vehicle only entered the state this week and it is within the 30days. The bike is nothing out of the ordinary either, 2014 CBR250

The NCT lads are a pain, thankfully my days of trying NCT a modified car are behind me.

I'm trying to make sure I have everything sorted.

I have the full V5, the seller gave me the whole thing and I'll send back what I don't need, I have bill of sale and ferry tickets and the appointment was made today, vehicle only entered the state this week and it is within the 30days. The bike is nothing out of the ordinary either, 2014 CBR250

My last time I vrt'd took 3 trips to 2 NCT centre's. Both are 70km away from me.
    Numerous phonecalls and allotted time either during lunch break or within half an hour before closing ( they don't take payments half hour before lunchtime or closing)

Even another NCT called the other one a disgrace and put in a complaint about them (not my complaint, his own one)

My last time I vrt'd took 3 trips to 2 NCT centre's. Both are 70km away from me.
    Numerous phonecalls and allotted time either during lunch break or within half an hour before closing ( they don't take payments half hour before lunchtime or closing)

Even another NCT called the other one a disgrace and put in a complaint about them (not my complaint, his own one)

Jaysis.

I've mine booked for a Saturday morning, thankfully I'm only a few KM's away from the nearest centre. If I could drive the bike up and back I wouldn't mind so much but I'll be relying on friends to either drive or come with to unload the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any recommendations for a good chain rivet tool?

Ive this one, used it twice https://ige.ie/motorcycle-chain-breaker-rivet-tool/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwvyegMfO5wIVTLDtCh1V3gVNEAQYASABEgKH7fD_BwE

great success for me.

You will need a micrometer to measure the head when you've crushed it. (make sure its done correctly)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Filtering in stationary rush hour traffic today and car in front of me turned right into entrance.

I suppose it was bound to happen eventually.

Hit the front of the drivers door and quarter panel, bike got off fairly light apart from bent handlebars I think and I'm fine apart from a sore knuckle.

Fair sickend all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just a heads up if anyone is looking to get a Go Pro 8, Littlewoods are selling it for €387 just for the camera RRP €450 and are giving a free dual battery charger and free battery worth €65 up until 20th of this month......

So its a pretty good deal.

Filtering in stationary rush hour traffic today and car in front of me turned right into entrance.

I suppose it was bound to happen eventually.

Hit the front of the drivers door and quarter panel, bike got off fairly light apart from bent handlebars I think and I'm fine apart from a sore knuckle.

Fair sickend all the same.

What happens in such a scenario. I know it's a logistic insurance nightmare of blame assignment but anyone sorted similar? Always wondered

listermint wrote: »
    What happens in such a scenario. I know it's a logistic insurance nightmare of blame assignment but anyone sorted similar? Always wondered

It happened a friend of mine who had taken up biking about 6 months previously.
    He got the blame.

• Advertisement

It happened a friend of mine who had taken up biking about 6 months previously.
    He got the blame.

I suppose a camera would be vital here. I.e if indication didn't occur and slow filter via stopped traffic.

listermint wrote: »
    I suppose a camera would be vital here. I.e if indication didn't occur and slow filter via stopped traffic.
    Is no indicator an offence though?
    If someone put on an indicator to turn off but they keep going straight and you pull out in front of them then you're at fault.
    So would that suggest similar in this case.

Personally I think if you are filtering you need to pre empt these kind of things or else your days are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Going past an entrance there's always the possibility that someone will turn into it without looking never mind signalling.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Traffic was stopped as 3rd party had left a number of cars out onto our side of road from entrance. I had filtered up the outside of 3rd party in meantime.

They then went to cross the road into the entrance and I ran into them.

They were at extreme left of lane so I had room and I have no recollection of seeing an indicator, I thought they had just decided to let the two cars out as it was slow traffic on our side of road and the opposite lanes were clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Is no indicator an offence though?
    If someone put on an indicator to turn off but they keep going straight and you pull out in front of them then you're at fault.
    So would that suggest similar in this case.

Personally I think if you are filtering you need to pre empt these kind of things or else your days are numbered.

Changing direction without indicating is a fixed charge offence. You can only turn right if it's safe to do so, and you can only overtake (filter) if it's safe to do so. Plus you are supposed to only drive at a speed that you can see to stop safely.

BaronVon wrote: »
    Changing direction without indicating is a fixed charge offence. You can only turn right if it's safe to do so, and you can only overtake (filter) if it's safe to do so. Plus you are supposed to only drive at a speed that you can see to stop safely.

As someone who always indicates, I'd rather if all misuse of indicators was punished.
    Bit of a bugbear of mine and offenders should eternally burn in hell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You can never trust an indicator and you certainly can't trust the lack of one.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

As someone who always indicates, I'd rather if all misuse of indicators was punished.
    Bit of a bugbear of mine and offenders should eternally burn in hell :D

Yeah, there's also a ticket for giving misleading signals, which would be that!!

Yeah, there's also a ticket for giving misleading signals, which would be that!!

I'd like to see how many tickets were given for that.

I'd be surprised if any, unless it caused an accident that was investigated......

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised if any, unless it caused an accident that was investigated......

I take it you're a Garda.
    What would you think percentage of blame would be on both if say someone pulled out because of a misleading indicator and the end result was a collision?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Did they accept liability at the time? I know that the insurance company can overrule this but they tend not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

My driving instructor told me many moons ago that "an indicator is only an indication of where a vehicle might go"
    That's one bit of advice has def served me well

zubair wrote: »
    Well they accept liability at the time? I know that the insurance company can overrule this but they tend not to.

Where's this place where people accept liability?

A guards wife knocked down my sister.
    At the scene she kept saying sorry and she just couldn't see because of the sun.
    That was until her husband turned up and told her to keep her mouth shut.
    No further action was taken against her.

She also indicated to turn off but went straight on as my sister was crossing the street.

I have 2 successful claims against drivers who accepted liability at the time. Their insurance company followed through.

I have 2 successful claims against drivers who accepted liability at the time. Their insurance company followed through.

Surely not because of misleading indicators?

If they admit liability what does it matter. This is my point.

If they admit liability what does it matter. This is my point.

You got lucky with those two so.
    Even if you are in the wrong your insurance company would advise not to admit liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Many a person accepts liability at the scene (verbally) to fool people into a false sense of security leading them to relax and not think straight and not take details etc etc....only to change the tune when the **** hits the fan and insurance company's spell out exactly what its going to cost and the police get involved.

Not matter what say nothing and document EVERYTHING and this is where mobile phones are worth every penny.

Sorry to hear about the accident but more then likely you fooked!

• Advertisement

Just watching Stop Search Seizure on tv.
    Was this a long time ago or when?
    The embarrassment.. caught being that shît at wheelies on camera :pac:
    Anyone on here?? :D

Advertisement