Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Above pictures , that is not rust that's where the lacquer on the polish aluminum got damaged and the weather reacted to the aluminum.
    It will polish out bit of elbow grease

• Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wet and dry sandpaper.
    Finish with polishing.
    Autosol would probably be enough to finish it off if you don't want to give it the whole works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Looks like I’ll be busy scrubbing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Jaysus, they must have had more keys than a jalier.

zubair wrote: »
    Jaysus, they must have had more keys than a jalier.

I agree. I posted the same pictures on another social media forum simultaneously and I’m getting all sorts of suggestions to fix it. The fork brace is interchangeable so not the end of the world, I’m more worried about sorting the frame

• Advertisement

I'd take the lazy man's route and find a protector/ cover for the brace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

I've used Tourances on many types of GS - they last well and grip well in my experiences. Hence being popular of ADV bikes. For reference, I speak of the original Tourance and not the Tourance Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭H_Lime

A mild scotchbtight pad in careful straight lines should give the same brushed finish. Coat or two lacquer afterwards. If you want it back to perfect you may have to do the whole of both spars for it to be seamless.

I've used Tourances on many types of GS - they last well and grip well in my experiences. Hence being popular of ADV bikes. For reference, I speak of the original Tourance and not the Tourance Next.
    Same here. First gen tourance a mega tyre, peg down grip and last in my exp. Front cupped/wore out quicker than rear but still an 8k set.
    Probably go pr5 trail next as delighted with the pr4's I've worn out.

H_Lime wrote: »
    Same here. First gen tourance a mega tyre, peg down grip and last in my exp. Front cupped/wore out quicker than rear but still an 8k set.
    Probably go pr5 trail next as delighted with the pr4's I've worn out.

That's pretty much my thoughts too. I swapped to Mitas E08 for my last set of tyres. When they wear out, I'd definitely consider the original Tourance again (if I don't go for Mitas again).

• Advertisement

That's pretty much my thoughts too. I swapped to Mitas E08 for my last set of tyres. When they wear out, I'd definitely consider the original Tourance again (if I don't go for Mitas again).

Where would you place those mitas in the pecking order of tourance pr4 anf p5?
    Looking for a slightly more off road orientated tyre than say tourance for the Dr. Tw Bridgestones on it now and surprised how well they perform in all conditions.

Where would you place those mitas in the pecking order of tourance pr4 anf p5?
    Looking for a slightly more off road orientated tyre than say tourance for the Dr. Tw Bridgestones on it now and surprised how well they perform in all conditions.

Well, PR4/5 are roads tyres ? The Tourance and Mitas E08 are 90/10 tyres i.e. 90% road. The Mitas E08 have out lasted many other brands of tyre that I have tried on the old GS. However, the Mitas E07 is a decent tyre with more off-road bias. Similar to the TKC80. Others rave about Heidenau K60's but I have no experience of those.

A mild scotchbtight pad in careful straight lines should give the same brushed finish. Coat or two lacquer afterwards. If you want it back to perfect you may have to do the whole of both spars for it to be seamless.

I’m more pushed about getting the frame sorted if I’m honest, if I went to Fowler’s to replace the fork brace it’s €198 plus delivery :eek: I’ve touched base with a local valeting crowd to see would he have the stuff to do it. Seems the bike had 4 tough winters (99/00/01/02) as the radiator is corroded as well

I'd take the lazy man's route and find a protector/ cover for the brace.

That sounds like a plan!

I’m more pushed about getting the frame sorted if I’m honest, if I went to Fowler’s to replace the fork brace it’s €198 plus delivery :eek: I’ve touched base with a local valeting crowd to see would he have the stuff to do it. Seems the bike had 4 tough winters (99/00/01/02) as the radiator is corroded as well

If your down south drop it into Aidan in Southern Containers Wstergrasshill. He could vap blast the top Yoke back to like newand then you could give it the scotchbright and the ruler treatment before lacquer.

If your down south drop it into Aidan in Southern Containers Wstergrasshill. He could vap blast the top Yoke back to like newand then you could give it the scotchbright and the ruler treatment before lacquer.

Yeah I’m up the northside so Watergrasshill isn’t very far away. Might do that actually with the top piece, will give him a bell, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Grey Genuine 3M Scotchbrite and WD40 as a lube will restore the brushed finish.
    Its a lot of work though but it does come back just like the factory finish.
    Green is too coarse for a finish IME.

Yeah I’m up the northside so Watergrasshill isn’t very far away. Might do that actually with the top piece, will give him a bell, thanks
    Give it a go, won't look worse that's for sure:)
    Try the scotch pad afterwards and see how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Anybody know when the releases date for the KTM 390 adventure is? Cant seem to find any solid info on it.

fyi , i wasnt far off, i said quite early this year for release.

the KTM 390 Adventure is available in the UK from March, 5500 stg, so id expect 7500/8k euro at the max here

i read a couple of articles on it, looks like it can hustle despite the somewhat small capacity engine and its well able for off road.

see here:

https://www.ktm.com/en/travel/390-adventure/Overview

pho_bike_90_re.png

Autosol didn’t work for me. Back to the drawing board.

Also looking for recommendations on gear. The inner lining of my pants ripped so badly the knee pads no longer have an insert.

• Advertisement

Autosol didn’t work for me. Back to the drawing board.
    Autosol wasn't going to clean that.
    It was for polishing after the clean up.
    And also if you didn't want to go lacquering after clean up you could use it to maintain the polished look.

blade1 wrote: »
    Autosol wasn't going to clean that.
    It was for polishing after the clean up.
    And also if you didn't want to go lacquering after clean up you could use it to maintain the polished look.

I tried scrubbing it with other stuff before hand and used that last. Is that lacquered? I don’t mind the polished look. I’m going over other bits with acf50 over the weekend

I tried scrubbing it with other stuff before hand and used that last. Is that lacquered? I don’t mind the polished look. I’m going over other bits with acf50 over the weekend

You on about the frame or top yoke?
    Yeah it's the lacquer coming off.

Top yoke will be lot of time to get right because of all the hard to get at places on it.

In the past I've not went with lacquing parts and went with polishing.

A rub of autosol from time to time to keep it nice.

You on about the frame or top yoke?
    Yeah it's the lacquer coming off.

Top yoke will be lot of time to get right because of all the hard to get at places on it.

In the past I've not went with lacquing parts and went with polishing.

A rub of autosol from time to time to keep it nice.

The frame, the fork brace is a lost cause, I can remove it to get work done on it at least. The other suggestion I received is to vinyl wrap the frame

The other suggestion I received is to vinyl wrap the frame

Forget you ever even heard that suggestion!;)

Forget you ever even heard that suggestion!;)

:pac: just try and get the frame looking as natural as possible?

:pac: just try and get the frame looking as natural as possible?

There's that and also when I see the frame hidden, I just think it looks like it's hiding damage ( to me anyway..
    I suppose the fact that on my own one of those blades,the handlebar did put a hole in the frame, so maybe that's why I think like that.

There's that and also when I see the frame hidden, I just think it looks like it's hiding damage ( to me anyway..
    I suppose the fact that on my own one of those blades,the handlebar did put a hole in the frame, so maybe that's why I think like that.

I’m fully understanding of your thinking. I’m exhausting all avenues to try and get it looking right bar removing the frame. I’ve had an offer to paint it as well, not what I want.

Have you shared any other pics of it. What's it look like in general?

• Advertisement

Have you shared any other pics of it. What's it look like in general?

This was it the day I took delivery after having sat in a barn since 2003. It’s had a full service, new tyres/pads/C&S/carbs all done, the last bit is a new radiator and hoses.

7496-F7-EA-D183-4-DF0-9-C6-C-1-FFC2071-A0-DF.jpg

01-D5565-B-D3-B6-4-B2-F-9-E6-E-F0-BB94750-D02.jpg

Advertisement