Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thought I would get the summer out of my tyres but a crack in the thread on my rear is too bad. Ive ordered a set of Avons. €270 incl fitting. Does this sound reasonable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

That's one way to get a Brazilian!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

On the face of it, this sounds mental. What type of bike would you get for an ambulance, you need value for money and reliability. A harley!

http://www.thejournal.ie/harley-davidson-motorbikes-hse-1514903-Jun2014/
    THE HEALTH SERVICE Executive (HSE) has spent over €66,000 on three Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
    The top of the range motorbikes were purchased for the National Ambulance Service, however, they travel less than 100 kilometres per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭prunudo

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »

That's one way to get a Brazilian!

Oh f@ck, that's going to hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I was happily thruming along on my B12 when a turbine smooth blackbird came whistling by and I thought, fcuking lovely.
    A couple of clicks up the road I caught up with it wobbling around a few bends, I passed him and thought, how embarrassing.
    The road straightend up to go into the next town, restricted to fifty kph, when blackbird man comes fizzing by at warp speed, and I thought, that guy could do with a lot more skill and a lot less horses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Cienciano wrote: »
    On the face of it, this sounds mental. What type of bike would you get for an ambulance, you need value for money and reliability. A harley!

http://www.thejournal.ie/harley-davidson-motorbikes-hse-1514903-Jun2014/

My understanding of this is that the HSE put this out to tender, and Harley were the only company to submit a tender. Therefore the HSE had to buy the Harleys. I think it's more of a story about the restrictions of government tenders, than it is about the HSE buying the wrong bikes.

What do you lads think of the look of this bike. Im 2+ years off changing my bike but I like the look of this bike. Fuel consumption is 65 mpg average which is a major deciding point for my future bike. What other bike can you recommend with a very good fuel consumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

What do you lads think of the look of this bike. Im 2+ years off changing my bike but I like the look of this bike. Fuel consumption is 65 mpg average which is a major deciding point for my future bike. What other bike can you recommend with a very good fuel consumption?

NC, BMW F650, F800 etc are probably the most fuel efficient of large cc'd bikes. CBR 250R is also does very good mpg if you can live with 250 cc. Other main attraction with the NC is its 'not-tank' storage space, you can do away with unsightly top boxes, tank bags and backpacks etc. I am keen to try out the NC myself, but the rarer S version.

positron wrote: »
    NC, BMW F650, F800 etc are probably the most fuel efficient of large cc'd bikes. CBR 250R is also does very good mpg if you can live with 250 cc. Other main attraction with the NC is its 'not-tank' storage space, you can do away with unsightly top boxes, tank bags and backpacks etc. I am keen to try out the NC myself, but the rarer S version.

Yeah it has massive storage, very handy.

I went with Adelaide insurance. CB400 fully comp for €219

• Advertisement

I went with Adelaide insurance. CB400 fully comp for €219
    Jesus, I never heard of anyones insurance for anything down as low as €219!

That includes commuting. No bike assist though afaik. C&N wanted 249 for tpft

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

You shouldhaggle a bit more dude.
    Im paying 260 fully comp with Adelaide on my Sv1000.

Thats including full protected no claims and bike assist and an excess of 250.
    It was an extra 12 quid for commuting onto it.

When MCE came into the market a few months ago and were giving out dirt cheap quotes but with massive excess, Adelaide were matching or in most cases beating the quotes but keeping the excess down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

That is low, but then again I am €359 fully comp on an €7k bike and only riding 3 yrs so I cant complain. :P

More stuff stolen from Reddit, this is a Ask Me Anything with a former bike thief. Some good tips and interesting read. Obviously his experiences are in America, but still a good read.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama/
    If you can't be arsed reading, he recommends a high quality chain through part of the frame, or if you have to do a wheel, do the back paired with a good quality disc lock, again on the back.
    He doesn't steal bikes any more, and this is his current disc lock he personally uses:
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/38299/i/xena-xx-10-disc-lock-with-alarm?WT.ac=SLIsearch
    He says alarms are good, but it all depends on the install, and most of the time a dealer doesn't bother doing a good job cos it's not his bike. He also says a lockable cover is a good idea and always use your steering lock.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've been on holidays for a week but I'm back. What did I miss?

Zascar wrote: »
    I've been on holidays for a week but I'm back. What did I miss?

The best biking weather of the year, it's been great!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lets hope it lasts till next week for the meet!

According to met.ie we'll start to see rain again during next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

According to met.ie we'll start to see rain again during next week.

It will prob be sunny so . . . Them lads don't have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

SO the drive home today was fun..... While on the M9 i decided to give it some more throttle and the grip just spun around and i actually pulled it off the bar.... LOL...

The heat the last week wrecked the glue holding on my heated grip and it all just flaked off. I shoved the grip back on the bar and literally had to squeeze it as hard as i could to give it throttle.

I got home, cleaned off all the flaking clue and have some superglue on it now. Hopefully its enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

goodlad wrote: »
    SO the drive home today was fun..... While on the M9 i decided to give it some more throttle and the grip just spun around and i actually pulled it off the bar.... LOL...

The heat the last week wrecked the glue holding on my heated grip and it all just flaked off. I shoved the grip back on the bar and literally had to squeeze it as hard as i could to give it throttle.

I got home, cleaned off all the flaking clue and have some superglue on it now. Hopefully its enough...

What I do,is get some wire, loop it around the throttle grip and then twist it tight with a pliers, before snipping off any excess to make it neat looking. It'll never come off then.

14505031374_408959ac3c_o.jpg

Had this dope on the M7 earlier. I noticed he was behind me so i moved to the left of the left lane and waved him to pass me. But instead he pulls along side an starts jesturin at me and having a moan and then fookin goes slower than he previously was to catch up with me.

If you are the dude in the pic, you're a dope.
    Perhaps he thought me gesturing at him was me moaning but i think we all know if another bike pulls to the left of a lane and waves a hand at you then its saying go on ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Had this dope on the M7 earlier. I noticed he was behind me so i moved to the left of the left lane and waved him to pass me. But instead he pulls along side an starts jesturin at me and having a moan and then fookin goes slower than he previously was to catch up with me.

What kind of gesture are we talking about here :P

tumblr_m8x3mevJwa1qcy9pgo1_500.gif

LOL! Most other bikers on the road are sound, but you do get some tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

14505031374_408959ac3c_o.jpg

Perhaps he thought me gesturing at him was me moaning but i think we all know if another bike pulls to the left of a lane and waves a hand at you then its saying go on ahead.

Should have gave it a twist off the wrist and made a fool of him on his (looks like it) Bandit 600, thats the best thing to do.....then slow down and when he catches up do it again and again. ;)

Ah i left him to it. Once we hit the M9 turn off he blast it to easily over 200 kmh and started undertaking like a dope at that speed. Twas grand when I just passed by him at the top of the offramp at the next exit as he got slowed down by cars going right so i nipped up the left as that's where I was going.

Perhaps he has anger issues and lacks the common sense that would of told him I moved to let him pass. Oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

That was me, I was trying to show you how to tighten a piece of wire around your throttle cable to stop it slipping. I don't know, you try to help people and you get called a dope! :D

Advertisement