Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

bJlaPmx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^^^^
    Still wouldn't mind a go on a Harley, or a Goldwing with all the accessories, and I'd be the first to recommend other bikes if you're going to spend that amount of money. (I'm talkin Honda Goldwing GL1800 and not the ones that go up for 2000)
    Or a trike, love to have a go on one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Lads, any first hand opinions out there of the 2010 model V-Strom DL1000?

I really didn't give them a look in but sat on one today and the seating position was extremely comfortable. Another good point for me is the fact that its a V-Twin and the same engine as my SV, just different mapping.

Main reason this is important to me is i absolutely love how my SV drives so goin with another V-Twin is a plus for me.

There is 14,000 Km on it and it comes with full Suzuki luggage and heated grips.
    List price on it is 8250 and the offer on my SV is 2750 trade in.

Any thoughts lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

goodlad wrote: »
    Lads, any first hand opinions out there of the 2010 model V-Strom DL1000?

I really didn't give them a look in but sat on one today and the seating position was extremely comfortable. Another good point for me is the fact that its a V-Twin and the same engine as my SV, just different mapping.

Main reason this is important to me is i absolutely love how my SV drives so goin with another V-Twin is a plus for me.

There is 14,000 Km on it and it comes with full Suzuki luggage and heated grips.
    List price on it is 8250 and the offer on my SV is 2750 trade in.

Any thoughts lads?

Give Lookbehindyou a buzz he has one, I drove it many times and its a superb all rounder. Loads of torque and pulls in every gear, as you already know very comfortable and very reliable. It would not be as fast as the SV1000 top end but you would not be disappointed Gary.

Drove home from the NW200 last year in absolute pissings of rain and it was as sure footed at 100+ mph motorway all the way home. Only thing is that they are not the best looking machines but if that does not bother you then go for it.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Give Lookbehindyou a buzz he has one, I drove it many times and its a superb all rounder. Loads of torque and pulls in every gear, as you already know very comfortable and very reliable. It would not be as fast as the SV1000 top end but you would not be disappointed Gary.

Drove home from the NW200 last year in absolute pissings of rain and it was as sure footed at 100+ mph motorway all the way home. Only thing is that they are not the best looking machines but if that does not bother you then go for it.

I had dropped a front sprocket off my SV which killed the top end speed for me anyway. Even if the top end loss does bother me on the V-Strom thats only a remap to change.

Yeah the looks is what put me off initially to be honest. But i'm trying to be more practical about my bike choice. After sitting on the bike my view on it completely changed as it was so comfortable.

I can give it a test drive on Saturday morning if im available, not sure if i will be yet. If it drives well an i can see myself still having good craic on it then it will more or less tick all the boxes of what im after.

I had been looking at the Sprint like your own and micks but its out of my budget. The price on the V-Strom is fairly reasonable for a 2010 and its from my local place who i bought my SV from originally an he is always great to deal with which is another positive for me.

For me its going to come down to the test drive i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Zascar wrote: »
    acid_picdump_74.jpg

Look what I found thanks to reddit! The track is the contidrom, Continental tire's testing track.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads some of the guys from the Motors forum are having a meet in the phoenix park on Wednesday 9th of July at 7pm: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057227521
    Anyone want to go along?

Lads some of the guys from the Motors forum are having a meet in the phoenix park on Wednesday 9th of July at 7pm: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057227521
    Anyone want to go along?

Blasphemy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone want to go along?

I'll go, get you to wheelie that 'blade :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Lol. I wonder what happened before that.

Prolly bought the boots he had on in his shop and they would not change them for being too tight!!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

One of the lads on the spin at the weekend told us about clutchless gear changing. I had heard about it before but I had never tried it. So I gave it a bash and it works a treat - it's dead simple! It only works UP the gearbox, just tuck your toe under the lever, roll off the throttle for a fraction of a second and pop it up into the next gear. Actually a smoother gearchange. Can change one handed now even ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Got back to London today from my tour. I had a helmet camera on a bit during the trip. Below is the video of the euro tunnel for anyone who's interested in what its like.

Christ, I was thinkin thats gonna take you all day drivin like that, forgot its a jaysusin train ;)

One of the lads on the spin at the weekend told us about clutchless gear changing. I had heard about it before but I had never tried it. So I gave it a bash and it works a treat - it's dead simple! It only works UP the gearbox, just tuck your toe under the lever, roll off the throttle for a fraction of a second and pop it up into the next gear. Actually a smoother gearchange. Can change one handed now even ;)

I'm always surprised at the amount of bikers who don't know this one, its much quicker and far more smoother.

Only bike I haven't done it on is my current BMW with its tractor gearbox, its just not that nice.

A trick for bikes with a broken cable clutch ~ emergency ride to repair ~ put the bike into first, turn it over and it'll jump forward into a start and go up one or two gears.. At the lights brake and the bike with come to a juddering halt and stall, knock it back into first and begin the process again when the lights turn green.

Its a handy tip for Vespa riders who'd regularly brake clutch cables.

Have to give this a bash too. I never knew it was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Have to give this a bash too. I never knew it was possible.

I'm surprised you didn't notice it on the previous Sunday spins. :)

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    I'm surprised you didn't notice it on the previous Sunday spins. :)

Its not something i watch for :p

I was hoping to get out next Sunday but there is a fooking wedding fair on that ive been "Asked" to go to instead.... lol

Its not something i watch for :p

I was hoping to get out next Sunday but there is a fooking wedding fair on that ive been "Asked" to go to instead.... lol

"Asked" is a question with 2 possible answers. I know which one I would give ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

It works to change down a gear too, you just need to get the RPMs right. It's called speed shifting and it's what racers do!

It'll eventually hurt your transmission though...

I was reading that the Esb are offering free tours of this amazing feet of engineering on that weekend, on its 40th birthday. The engineers chopped the top off the mountain and scooped out the insides in order to create an artificial lake. They then bored down through the mountain to a lake below, fitted turbines and let the water flow down. Then, of an evening they would pump the water back up to the lake (when there the demand for electricity was low) and ready to go again.

Love that sort of stuff, looks like you get to walk around the inside, where the turbines are!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/esb-offers-free-tours-of-turlough-hill-hydro-station-1.1850809

https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

fuVFZuI.png

I was reading that the Esb are offering free tours of this amazing feet of engineering on that weekend, on its 40th birthday. The engineers chopped the top off the mountain and scooped out the insides in order to create an artificial lake. They then bored down through the mountain to a lake below, fitted turbines and let the water flow down. Then, of an evening they would pump the water back up to the lake (when there the demand for electricity was low) and ready to go again.

Love that sort of stuff, looks like you get to walk around the inside, where the turbines are!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/esb-offers-free-tours-of-turlough-hill-hydro-station-1.1850809

https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

fuVFZuI.png

Yeah I would be up for that. Sure I am out for a spin on Sundays anyway so why not.

Sound man, I might make a new thread for it, rather than it been hidden away in here!

Just did!

Started a new thread here

I've done a tour of Turlock Hill, its interesting alright, well worth a visit if you can get in.

Interesting: https://www.facebook.com/WoolseyCoulterART/posts/728219980571941
    Woolsey Coulter ART - Advanced Rider Training

Hi People
    We care a lot about our clients/friends and have mutually decided with Mondello Park not to go ahead with the July 28th event as we could not agree financial terms. We regret this decision for everyone who continues to support our objective ...to help everyone make our passion for riding motorcycles safer !

This one is doing the rounds haha

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Funny, wasn't expecting that!

^^^Cringe :/

• Advertisement

Thats my Sv sold. Time to get shopping!

Advertisement