Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

JRant wrote: »
    I haven't a hope of getting into AGS. I use words such as bicycle instead of 'push vehicle' and car instead of 'motor vehicle'. I also don't use the word 'duly' in every sentence so there's no way they'd let me in.

Ah, you just need to learn the phrase 'on closer inspection' and you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭JRant

sopretty wrote: »
    Ah, you just need to learn the phrase 'on closer inspection' and you're in.

On closer inspection I duly noted that the push vehicle was indeed a bike.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,495 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This thread has become incredibly silly. Really lads some of you need to grow up.
    The whole thread has lost its way and has turned into a slagging match like children would engage in.
    Can we get back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

This thread has become incredibly silly. Really lads some of you need to grow up.
    The whole thread has lost its way and has turned into a slagging match like children would engage in.

It's like the opposition having a go at the Minister for not sorting out stuff they cocked up themselves years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

JRant wrote: »
    I haven't a hope of getting into AGS. I use words such as bicycle instead of 'push vehicle' and car instead of 'motor vehicle'. I also don't use the word 'duly' in every sentence so there's no way they'd let me in.

Well put your push vehicle in your motor vehicle and duly fcuk off

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Nice language, you're a credit to your parents!
    Shady Tady wrote: »
    Well put your push vehicle in your motor vehicle and duly fcuk off
    MOD: You had been warned 8 April 2014 and 3-day banned 9 April 2014 both for trolling in Politics. Today you are being banned for 1-month for trolling, and may be permanently banned if you continue to inappropriately post in our forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Enda Kenny has said that in the last two weeks his office has received 36 letters from members of the public and Gardai alledging malpractice / corruption. He doesn't as yet know who is going to investigate them, some of the allegations go back years.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-taoiseach-receives-dozens-of-fresh-garda-allegations-30193711.html

We might be needing a fifth inquiry into this whole mess yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Enda Kenny has said that in the last two weeks his office has received 36 letters

we'll know more tomorrow when the letters are finally opened:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

He felt the need to qualify the statement that he had received 3 dozen complaints with the statement that he didn't know whether any of the complaints were true.

Or was that an answer to the stupidest question of stupid questions posed by the journalist in question...... *sigh......

• Registered Users Posts: 39 tiredofthis

we'll know more tomorrow when the letters are finally opened:)

Don't you mean Tuesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

More revelations in the Sunday Independent today with Claims of Harassment & Assault, right here.

Not too long ago, when my Mom was at home on her own late one evening a local female Garda called and invited herself into our family home. She re-hashed the very day my Loving Dad suffered a massive heart-attack (see here) while
    ~ my Mom was on her own
    ~ without any prior warning or notification
    ~ without any common deceny
    ~ without a care in the world!

She re-hashed the very day to my Mom, a very recent hurting Widow (they were married happily for over 30-years) who was with my Late Loving Dad when he passed away! That is the sick, twisted mind-set of someone wearing the Garda uniform these days. It just beggars belief how people of that mindset is given an asp and pepper-spray on a daily basis and un-leashed on the public with powers that could destroy and end the life of someone!
    Even the Minister for Justice, Minister Shatter has directed me to lodge a complaint with the Garda Ombudsman over her sick behaviour.

I am beginning to think it's not the Garda Ombudsman that needs reforming, but the entire organisation of An Garda Síochána itself (saying this as a former Garda Reserve).

Still wishing my full support to Sgt Mc Cabe and John Wilson! :)

Regards,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

From tomorrows Sindo
    'Final Straw as Shatter Breaks Law on Wallace'

http://i.imgur.com/Ydwally.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

From tomorrows Sindo

http://i.imgur.com/Ydwally.jpg

What happens now then?

Hardly good news for local elections one way or another.

(Niamh Horan appears to have served out her apprenticeship too. Barry Egan next:D)

Looks like the Data Commissioner is going to find against Alan Shatter for his use of confidential information to try to scupper a political opponent, Mick Wallace. So soon we'll have a Minister for Justice who has broken the law according to the Data Commissioner. The Sindo is also reporting that the finding will clear the way for Mick Wallace to take a civil action against Shatter on top of everything else. I bet Shatter really regrets not keeping his big mouth shut when debating Mick Wallace on Prime Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Looks like the Data Commissioner is going to find against Alan Shatter for his use of confidential information to try to scupper a political opponent, Mick Wallace. So soon we'll have a Minister for Justice who has broken the law according to the Data Commissioner. The Sindo is also reporting that the finding will clear the way for Mick Wallace to take a civil action against Shatter on top of everything else. I bet Shatter really regrets not keeping his big mouth shut when debating Mick Wallace on Prime Time.

Mick did not even notice what was happening until Pat Kenny drew his attention to it, asking him if it bothered him that the Minister had
    private information about him and was divulging it in public!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

He will worm out off this one as well, final nail in FG coffin if he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Hootanany wrote: »
    He will worm out off this one as well, final nail in FG coffin if he does.

It should be up to Enda Kenny to remove him now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well a few months back, the Government ignored the Ombudsman when it came to the mobility issue. Given that the DPC is not at the same level of the Ombudsman, no doubt the usual apologies will be made and business as usual will continue.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Mick did not even notice what was happening until Pat Kenny drew his attention to it, asking him if it bothered him that the Minister had

Yeah I remember watching it at the time. To begin I was surprised that Shatter even agreed to debate Wallace on TV but I reasoned it as Shatters arrogance telling him he could go on there and destroy Wallace in a debate. He was pretty much doing that anyway as Wallace wouldn't be the quickest or sharpest talker in the heat of the battle. Shatter had the debate won but he just couldn't resist trying to paint Wallace as a hypocrite for complaining about Garda discretion when he himself benefitted from it when the Gardai saw him talking on a mobile phone in traffic. I don't think Wallace realised the gravity of it at the time but I'm guessing afterwards he was furious that he can't even drive around town without Gwrdai feeding information about him all the way to the Garda Commissioner and back to the Minister for Justice.

Hopefully Wallace will now take a civil action against Shatter and refuse any offers of money before it gets to court. The media will have a field day if we end up with a serving Minister for Justice (and qualified solicitor) being cross examined in the witness box of a district court and being found guilty of an offense. I'm not sure if it would get that far but the ball is definitely in Mick Wallace's court right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Yeah I remember watching it at the time. To begin I was surprised that Shatter even agreed to debate Wallace on TV but I reasoned it as Shatters arrogance telling him he could go on there and destroy Wallace in a debate. He was pretty much doing that anyway as Wallace wouldn't be the quickest or sharpest talker in the heat of the battle. Shatter had the debate won but he just couldn't resist trying to paint Wallace as a hypocrite for complaining about Garda discretion when he himself benefitted from it when the Gardai saw him talking on a mobile phone in traffic. I don't think Wallace realised the gravity of it at the time but I'm guessing afterwards he was furious that he can't even drive around town without Gwrdai feeding information about him all the way to the Garda Commissioner and back to the Minister for Justice.

Hopefully Wallace will now take a civil action against Shatter and refuse any offers of money before it gets to court. The media will have a field day if we end up with a serving Minister for Justice (and qualified solicitor) being cross examined in the witness box of a district court and being found guilty of an offense. I'm not sure if it would get that far but the ball is definitely in Mick Wallace's court right now.

It was Pat Kenny's 'being on the ball', as he usually is, which was Shatter's undoing. PK made a big issue of it by asking Wallace if it bothered him that the MoJ had that kind of information about him. The whole thing was flying over Wallace's head as PK was trying to get him to see that this was very inappropriate!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

It's not enough for Wallace to have a finding from the Data Protection Commissioner that Shatter breached his privacy rights. In order for him to win a civil action he has to show that he suffered loss or damage as a result of that breach.

It's not clear to me whether he could do that. In fact, you could argue that Wallace's public reputation has been enhanced by his standing up to the Minister for Justice and prevailing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand, can not the DPC also levy fines for breaches of the act as well as ordering actions to mitigate the breach. That might be a route for Wallace to pursue if he feels that he has been aggrieved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Manach wrote: »
    Offhand, can not the DPC also levy fines for breaches of the act as well as ordering actions to mitigate the breach. That might be a route for Wallace to pursue if he feels that he has been aggrieved?

No - you can only be penalised for breaches of the Acts after a prosecution and conviction and even then it's the judge, not the DPC, who decides on the amount of the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

brooke 2 wrote: »

Cheap shot at Wallace, why should he show his intentions to a clown like that.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    It's not enough for Wallace to have a finding from the Data Protection Commissioner that Shatter breached his privacy rights. In order for him to win a civil action he has to show that he suffered loss or damage as a result of that breach.

It's not clear to me whether he could do that. In fact, you could argue that Wallace's public reputation has been enhanced by his standing up to the Minister for Justice and prevailing.

True but surely it wouldnt be that difficult for Wallace to produce some evidence to show that people might not vote for him on account of the information released by the Minister. I'm not sure how he would achieve that but it doesn't seem too difficult to prove that he has suffered a loss, even if it is inconsequential. I remember Prionsias de Rossa got a payout from a newspaper before who made up allegations about him. His award was sizeable but also significant in that the courts recognised the fact that a politicians job is not secure and he depends on votes to make it so. By publishing false information about him the paper had damaged his credibility and therefore his potential to get re-elected and therefore his whole career and earning power. Now I know Wallace is guilty of using a phone while driving but that's beside the point- the information was private until the Minister for Justice used it against him in a debate. Wallace could lay down similar arguments to de Rossa and even produce a few locals to testify that they no longer intend to vote for him because he was talking on a mobile phone while driving and they don't agree with that type of thing, etc,etc.

Even if he were to lose the case it would be a quick hearing in the District Court so the costs would not be all that high and would be well worth the political damage inflicted on Shatter. Shatter must now be wondering what his next move is. Because if he offers to pay Wallace damages without prejudice then it is likely that Wallace will leak the letter to the media. If he does it verbally can he be sure (in light of Maurice McCabe modus operandi) that Wallace isn't wearing a wire and recording the conversation. Shatter will know that Wallace would leak any offer to buy him off so provided he takes a civil action I can see this going all the way to court. I could even see Mick representing himself in court so that way he gets to put Shatter on the stand himself and question him. If that day comes then the court service are going to need to provide a video link due to the interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Bet you Alan Shatter never thought he'd be glad of Gerry Adams. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Its a bit ironic that the information that the Sindo have reported looks to be itself a leak and possibly a breach of Data Protection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

It should be up to Enda Kenny to remove him now.
    Manach wrote: »
    Well a few months back, the Government ignored the Ombudsman when it came to the mobility issue. Given that the DPC is not at the same level of the Ombudsman, no doubt the usual apologies will be made and business as usual will continue.

it's high time the Irish people demanded change and kept demanding it until we see real change, or we can continue to let these corrupt bastards do what they like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

it's high time the Irish people demanded change and kept demanding it until we see real change, or we can continue to let these corrupt bastards do what they like!!

The Irish people voted for change in the last election what did we get the other two guys in the three stooges. Cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sgt Mc Cabe to make a formal Bullying Complaint according to RTE right here. Well I have never been more proud of the man!

Now, why are their not more Sergeants like Mc Cabe in the ranks eh?! Bullied into silence and following fellow sheep I wonder? How come I wasn't put into a unit with the likes of Mc Cabe as my Sgt when I first joined instead of who I was lumped in with, considering what followed?! Bloody rediculous he is in the minority with his strong admirable character.

He is renewing my faith so he is. A one man band! This is only some of what I endured volunteering as a Garda Reserve so I'd have some idea of what he is going through.

Wishing Sgt. McCabe strength so I am :)
    kerry4sam

Advertisement