Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Paul Reynolds disgracing the notion of impartial journalism on our national broadcaster again. Shocking that he got away with that on Drivtime there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Paul Reynolds disgracing the notion of impartial journalism on our national broadcaster again. Shocking that he got away with that on Drivtime there now.

It really is farcical at this stage. Yesterday a senator tweeted about him, his own colleague got exasperated during the News at 1 today with several guests commenting on him over the last two days, and Mick Wallace just commented on him being a spokesman for the gardai. He's doing a fair bit of damage to the credibility of RTE News.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Happyman42 wrote: »

I read over on politics.ie that Reynolds comes from a family of Gardai which might explain why his reporting has been all one sided. When Callinan resigned Reynolds was the only person pushing the line that it was due to family circumstances and that the whole episode was worrying his elderly mother. Not one mention from Reynolds about what the family of Garda McCabe have been through on his whim, nothing at all about former Garda Wilson who now has cancer to deal with on top of everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

bubblypop wrote: »
    To be fair, we don't know exactly what calls were recorded and there is nothing to suggest that some section of AGS has been listening to all phone calls in and out of certain garda stations.

I know all defence solicitors will jump on this, as a chance to get their client off on a technicality.
    I'm not sure this would happen though.

It would have to be shown that some member of AGS listened to a conversation between a prisoner and his solicitor, and somehow used whatever was said to construct the case against the prisoner.
    This would be extremely hard to do.

The only time these calls have been used in evidence was when the state prosecuted gardai for assault in Waterford. They were aware that these were illegal recordings but tried to use them anyway.

They have clearly never been used in any other case against any defendant.

I certainly never heard anything of these recordings before Enda made his announcement.

Whether the recorded information was used to construct a case doesn't matter, the fact info was recorded in itself could make a conviction unsafe based on my understanding and even if not one convicted criminal secures release because of the tapes the cost is going to be astronomical between tribunals, inquiries, litigation and whatever else, happy days for the law profession courtesy of AGS and the politicians once again.

Just because you claim not to be informed about the recordings doesn't make them any less significant, you can be sure a lot were informed.
    I hope you're not going to try and play down the significance of this issue as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It really is farcical at this stage. Yesterday a senator tweeted about him, his own colleague got exasperated during the News at 1 today with several guests commenting on him over the last two days, and Mick Wallace just commented on him being a spokesman for the gardai. He's doing a fair bit of damage to the credibility of RTE News.

There are two sides to every story! Some people on here only want to hear one side and one view. If It wasn't for his stories we might not have heard of the senior civil servant calling to the commissioner or the Dept of Justoce advising the commissioner not to apologise. Info is good, you don't have to accept it but you can debate its worth!

• Advertisement

I think it's amazing that the only agency to try and use the tapes to prosecute people were GSOC. They had potentially their best case v gardai to date and their chance to be the ones to bring this into the public arena literally in their hands and they didn't realise it because the were so blinded in their pursuit of an assault conviction. I wonder how many other tapes GSOC collected and for how long and how did they discover their existance?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Have no time for Shatter and Co at all but neither have I time for Mick Wallace. I find him hard to listen to and he owes us all money after fiddling his company's VAT. How he is still in the Dail is amazing. Pot, kettle, black. A neck like a jockey's .............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Shady Tady wrote: »
    There are two sides to every story! Some people on here only want to hear one side and one view. If It wasn't for his stories we might not have heard of the senior civil servant calling to the commissioner or the Dept of Justoce advising the commissioner not to apologise. Info is good, you don't have to accept it but you can debate its worth!

It's nothing to do with only wanting to hear one side, it's about delivering relevant facts impartially. But if you can tell us what we're missing by thinking it's irrelevant when Reynolds tells us that Calinans mother is still alive then please do!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Shady Tady wrote: »

The information for those reports obviouslt came from either through his contact with Callinan, or someone close to him, i.e. the Garda. He`s all over this story now only because it can make Callinan look better.
    He and Paul Williams of the Indo were a total discrace in their coverage of GSOC. It is pretty clear the only contacts they both have are within AGS, and when favours were called in, the two boys weren`t found wanting.

Have no time for Shatter and Co at all but neither have I time for Mick Wallace. I find him hard to listen to and he owes us all money after fiddling his company's VAT. How he is still in the Dail is amazing. Pot, kettle, black. A neck like a jockey's .............

Mick Wallace is a choirboy compared to most of the party TD's in the Dail.
    Regardless of what he done he was elected by his constituents to represent them.

• Advertisement

fr3d12 wrote: »
    Mick Wallace is a choirboy compared to most of the party TD's in the Dail.
    Regardless of what he done he was elected by his constituents to represent them.

He should still be the last person to spout about wrong-doing as he's a wrongdoer himself. Hypocrite.
    1.4 million is a lot of money.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mick-wallace-off-the-hook-after-14m-tax-dodge-26891291.html

He should still be the last person to spout about wrong-doing as he's a wrongdoer himself. Hypocrite.

Is he the only hypocite in the Dail?
    People I think sometimes are more critical of Wallace for fiddling VAT than they are of the rest of the politicians who are robbing us blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

People I think sometimes are more critical of Wallace for fiddling VAT than they are of the rest of the politicians who are robbing us blind.

That's one way of looking at it. Given what this thread is about, I'd say a TD giving false tax returns is a pretty serious thing to do, it isn't very desirable for a public representative, and just because he's a man of the people and says the right things doesn't mean we should go easy on him and say "well he isn't as bad as the other lot".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

They're all hypocrites in the Dail as far as i'm concerned but when you are one then don't make it worse by complaining about others.
    I have asked for posters to name one honest politician but no replies as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

They're all hypocrites in the Dail as far as i'm concerned but when you are one then don't make it worse by complaining about others.
    I have asked for posters to name one honest politician but no replies as yet.

I did reply Stephen Donnelly. Personally I don't see him as self serving, and he's pretty much on the button, and usually has his finger on the pulse.

I did reply Stephen Donnelly. Personally I don't see him as self serving, and he's pretty much on the button, and usually has his finger on the pulse.

Thanks, i'll have a look at his record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I think Mr Reynolds might have a tiny bias towards AGS. It is very slight mind you and unless you were looking for it one could easily miss it.
    I wonder who these "sources" close to Callinan are? I also think that RTE are getting to the stage that they will have to put a disclaimer of some sorts at the start of all his reports, something along the lines of "the following report contains completely one sided propaganda spouted by a Garda masquerading as a crime correspondent".
    The only fool who comes close is that greasebag Williams, the pair of parasitic bottom feeders really are below contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Rawhead wrote: »
    I think Mr Reynolds might have a tiny bias towards AGS. It is very slight mind you and unless you were looking for it one could easily miss it.
    I wonder who these "sources" close to Callinan are? I also think that RTE are getting to the stage that they will have to put a disclaimer of some sorts at the start of all his reports, something along the lines of "the following report contains completely one sided propaganda spouted by a Garda masquerading as a crime correspondent".
    The only fool who comes close is that greasebag Williams, the pair of parasitic bottom feeders really are below contempt.

100%

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mick-wallace-off-the-hook-after-14m-tax-dodge-26891291.html
    I know he's a hypocrite, I'm not disputing that, all I'm saying is he's no worse than a lot of Dail Eireann, he should not have been allowed take a seat but he has and until the rules are changed it's going to continue to happen.
    K-9 wrote: »
    That's one way of looking at it. Given what this thread is about, I'd say a TD giving false tax returns is a pretty serious thing to do, it isn't very desirable for a public representative, and just because he's a man of the people and says the right things doesn't mean we should go easy on him and say "well he isn't as bad as the other lot".
    I'm not suggesting we go easy on any TD, I have no time for the vast majority of them.
    I never said he isn't as bad as the other lot but as far as I'm concerned he is no worse than them either.

I know he's a hypocrite, I'm not disputing that, all I'm saying is he's no worse than a lot of Dail Eireann, he should not have been allowed take a seat but he has and until the rules are changed it's going to continue to happen.

I'm not suggesting we go easy on any TD, I have no time for the vast majority of them.
    I never said he isn't as bad as the other lot but as far as I'm concerned he is no worse than them either.

If you are prepared to put up with any of their wrong-doing then we get what we get all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

If you are prepared to put up with any of their wrong-doing then we get what we get all the time.

What do you do differently?

sopretty wrote: »
    What do you do differently?

Its hard to know but letting Wallace into the Dail was a huge mistake.
    Anyone in the Dail should be beyond reproach but very few are i'd say.
    Look at the expense claims fiasco, the printer cartridge fiasco, the lap gate crap etc etc.
    All a shower of self-servers.

Look at the expense claims fiasco, the printer cartridge fiasco, the lap gate crap etc etc.

Take the blinkers off.

I'm not in Wexford but I wouldn't have voted for him if I was nor do I think he should have been allowed to stand for election in the first place.
    Michael Lowry is still in politics after all his shenanigans that shouldn't be allowed either but that's the system we have, do favours locally and you'll get voted in.

Take the blinkers off.

??
    You never came back to apologise on the VB thread I notice.

??
    You never came back to apologise on the VB thread I notice.

Could you refresh the memory there for me.

Could you refresh the memory there for me.

Go read the thread of a few days ago.
    Is your wee friend Walt always trailing behind you :D

I'm not in Wexford but I wouldn't have voted for him if I was nor do I think he should have been allowed to stand for election in the first place.
    Michael Lowry is still in politics after all his shenanigans that shouldn't be allowed either but that's the system we have, do favours locally and you'll get voted in.

I don't know many people from Wexford and those I know are 100% but I lost faith in wexfords people's intelligence after they elected that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm not a big fan of Worzel Wallace myself, but I'd make a distinction between what he is guilty of in a private capacity (which is all out in the open anyway), and any minister or public servant using their bestowed position to either help to cover up ineptitude or wrongdoing; or allowing it to happen under their stewardship in the first place.

• Advertisement

I'm not a big fan of Worzel Wallace myself, but I'd make a distinction between what he is guilty of in a private capacity (which is all out in the open anyway), and any minister or public servant using their bestowed position to either help to cover up ineptitude or wrongdoing; or allowing it to happen under their stewardship in the first place.

I put them all in the same boat myself.

Advertisement