Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Shatter believes he is self evidently smarter *and* more honest than anyone else. That is what makes it so dangerous for him to be running Justice. He is another Nixon, in that he believes that if he does something it cant be illegal, corrupt or immoral.

FG cant run another election campaign on the theme of transparency and reform in government. They are at this point a lukewarm Fianna Fail, completely lacking any moral compass or vision for Ireland that goes beyond getting their snouts in the trough. And Kenny is being badly found out as the son of a Mayo TD, promoted way over his capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,644 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Read a letter from a retired garda in the Indo this morning about the GRA proposing a policing body all of 30 years ago but being denied any hearing from their bosses and any politicians. Was interesting that they proposed that 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Labour are starting to emerge.

Howlin exclaiming he backs Shatter.....

Another nail in their coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,644 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Labour's coffin is well nailed already.
    Not one fecker came to my door canvassing for the council elections yet :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Sand wrote: »
    Shatter believes he is self evidently smarter *and* more honest than anyone else. That is what makes it so dangerous for him to be running Justice. He is another Nixon, in that he believes that if he does something it cant be illegal, corrupt or immoral.

FG cant run another election campaign on the theme of transparency and reform in government. They are at this point a lukewarm Fianna Fail, completely lacking any moral compass or vision for Ireland that goes beyond getting their snouts in the trough. And Kenny is being badly found out as the son of a Mayo TD, promoted way over his capability.

they're all the same and we keep affording them all the time in the world to line their pockets and make a complete farce of Irish politics by clinging onto the gravy train for dear life!! we're intent on letting them away with it until april 2016 when enda is throwing the next general elections ffs!! sure it's game on for the corrupt like ;)

the government have shown themselves to be no different than fianna fail in their dying days!! we need to end this bull$hit for a government yesterday!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

they're all the same and we keep affording them all the time in the world to line their pockets and make a complete farce of Irish politics by clinging onto the gravy train for dear life!! we're intent on letting them away with it until april 2016 when enda is throwing the next general elections ffs!! sure it's game on for the corrupt like ;)

the government have shown themselves to be no different than fianna fail in their dying days!! we need to end this bull$hit for a government yesterday!!

I'm not sure that Shatter has been determined to hang on just for the gravy train, his salary and expenses as a minister is only pocket change to him.
    He is arrogant,vain and it's all about his ego and the legislation he introduces that he wants to be remembered for.
    Labour are on his side because he is most likely of all potential FG justice ministers to help with their liberal agenda, i.e gay marriage etc.

The problem with getting them out is that are very few TD's in Leinster House who would want a general election now, many of them would be back to the old day jobs and might actually have to work for a living because so many would npt be re-elected.
    Labour know they would be obliterated at the polls if they pulled out now so Gilmore is hoping against hope that he can get the public back onside by the next election.

fr3d12 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that Shatter has been determined to hang on just for the gravy train, his salary and expenses as a minister is only pocket change to him.
    He is arrogant,vain and it's all about his ego and the legislation he introduces that he wants to be remembered for.

absolute power corrupts absolutely

absolute power corrupts absolutely

So very true and so blatantly obvious in this case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

bubblypop wrote: »
    i think its fairly obvious that he is only saying what he has to in order to keep his job.
    it was hardly a sincere apology

His body language really gave him away.

Reading an apology from a script, not having the good grace or manners to lift his head or his face to the house as he apologised.

It's how a child apologises under duress, with their chin on their chest, afraid to look the parent in the eye, with no understanding or acceptance of WHY they have to say sorry.

You are right, the question is why did he apologise?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You are right, the question is why did he apologise?

That's simple - himself and Enda figure that an apology on record (insincere though it was) will be enough to put this to bed.

Whether or not it works will depend on the next few days but journalists whinging in the press won't be enough.

Look at it from their perspective - why should he/they resign? Do we have protesters on the street? Gilmore demanding he resigns or they'll walk out of government? Of course not! That's not how we do things in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    That's simple - himself and Enda figure that an apology on record (insincere though it was) will be enough to put this to bed.

Whether or not it works will depend on the next few days but journalists whinging in the press won't be enough.

Look at it from their perspective - why should he/they resign? Do we have protesters on the street? Gilmore demanding he resigns or they'll walk out of government? Of course not! That's not how we do things in Ireland.

this has got a lot of legs yet!!

May 2001: Shatter DEMANDS action on recorded phone conversations between solicitors & clients in Donegal Garda station (via www.twitter.com/Effanning ) :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I think we're relying on the Independents and SF to keep the pressure on to be honest. Thought the Independents did themselves proud this morning.

sopretty wrote: »
    I think we're relying on the Independents and SF to keep the pressure on to be honest. Thought the Independents did themselves proud this morning.

we should be out ont he streets peacefully driving the message home in large numbers that the days of lying through their teeth and spinning all manner of bull$hit to the people who both elect them and pay their fcuking wages are over.

simple as that, if we had one mass protest we could gauge the response and act accordingly, massively outnumbering any nutters who may want to cause trouble, peaceful family protests, either that or they're out now and we demand better from the next crowd of ba$tards!!

This new saga has been orchestrated with the possible exception being Varadkar speaking out.
    The Govt. needed to find a way to bring the station bugging into the public domain while minimising the damage and at the same time hoping to appease their critics by letting Callinan go, whether or not the bugging had anything to do with Callinan is another matter and now with todays insincere apology they are hoping to end the penalty points issue while being seen as reforming etc.
    The only positive out of Shatter's speech is that the Dail record is going to be corrected, that's about all the satisfaction they are going to give in all of this, as long as the Govt. keep singing from the same hymn sheet about when Shatter became aware of the new allegations nothing will change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Fianna Fail Lite, learning the ropes pretty well, now quite adept at pulling the odd stroke, when required.

The media coaching agencies have succeeded in manufacturing bland, completely untrustworthy identikit political parties, playing hard and loose with the English language, to a point where Yes means No and no one can discern whether any politician is speaking truthfully anymore.
    Orwell would be proud.

My trust in politicians has again been Shattered by Alan's (as his cabinet colleagues on radio early today (Coveny etc.) were obviously instructed to continually refer to him) failure to step down for repeated grave errors of judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Having just listened to the VB show and what one of his guests said/intimated, I'm wondering now if there is any import to the fact that after the AG phones Enda on Sunday and tell's him she want's to talk to him, and he say's Ok, that she tell's him she didn't want to tell him what it is about over the phone.

Enda told the Dail on Wednesday that was what the AG said to him on Sunday, when she contacted him to arrange a meeting. The meeting (when it took place) seem's to have been for her to tell him about the Gardai bugging phones without warrant. The next day (Monday) Enda get's the Secretary General of the D of J visit Commissioner Callinan, which is followed on Tuesday by Comm Callinan leaving office suddenly.

Was Enda sending out a signal to all the TD's in the Dail that the AG didn't trust the safety of her phone, or was he unaware of how his statement could be misinterpreted?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

aloyisious wrote: »
    Having just listened to the VB show and what one of his guests said/intimated, I'm wondering now if there is any import to the fact that after the AG phones Enda on Sunday and tell's him she want's to talk to him, and he say's Ok, that she tell's him she didn't want to tell him what it is about over the phone.

Enda told the Dail on Wednesday that was what the AG said to him on Sunday, when she contacted him to arrange a meeting. The meeting (when it took place) seem's to have been for her to tell him about the Gardai bugging phones without warrant. The next day (Monday) Enda get's the Secretary General of the D of J visit Commissioner Callinan, which is followed on Tuesday by Comm Callinan leaving office suddenly.

Was Enda sending out a signal to all the TD's in the Dail that the AG didn't trust the safety of her phone, or was he unaware of how his statement could be misinterpreted?

I think it was the only excuse he could come up with to explain the delay. Judging by the way he stud there almost waiting to take inevitable abuse that would result from that statement, he looked to be talking pure crap.

i doubt it, sure the whole dail erupted in laughter today when he said it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Godge wrote: »
    I will ask you one more time - withdraw and apologise.

Who the hell do you think you are?
    Go off with you and your "withdraw and apologise"?

I am completely opposed to SO's politics and feel that he is acting as a FFer finally having something to gloat about (even though yes, all the bugging started under FF watch) But he is never anything but up front and courteous in his presentation.

You on the other hand are anything but in your presentations of your opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Da interntz. Srs business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭golfball37

fr3d12 wrote: »
    This new saga has been orchestrated with the possible exception being Varadkar speaking out.
    The Govt. needed to find a way to bring the station bugging into the public domain while minimising the damage and at the same time hoping to appease their critics by letting Callinan go, whether or not the bugging had anything to do with Callinan is another matter and now with todays insincere apology they are hoping to end the penalty points issue while being seen as reforming etc.
    The only positive out of Shatter's speech is that the Dail record is going to be corrected, that's about all the satisfaction they are going to give in all of this, as long as the Govt. keep singing from the same hymn sheet about when Shatter became aware of the new allegations nothing will change.

Callinan whilst he has acted appallingly towards the whistleblowers and was complicit in the O'Mahony whitewash was the only Commisioner in the last 30 years to stop these telephone recordings. Yet this is the reason he was effectively fired by the Taoiseach !! That circle cannot be squared I'm afraid.

GUBU doesn't even come close anymore, this crowd are far worse than anything FF have thrown at us. Labour party RIP and to the grass roots members- you let it happen for Eamonn and Pat's pension- shame on you.

i doubt it, sure the whole dail erupted in laughter today when he said it

I was watching it live and laughed myself. if one was into slipping something past people in public, wouldn't that have been (PR beautiful) the perfect time, reckoning on everyone meeting the statement with laughter and derision (ah come on, wilya get away out of that) getting it lost in the wash :D

I was watching it live and laughed myself. if one was into slipping something past people in public, wouldn't that have been (PR beautiful) the perfect time, reckoning on everyone meeting the statement with laughter and derision (ah come on, wilya get away out of that) getting it lost in the wash :D

I don't think poor old Enda even got the joke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Although Mr. Shatter used the apologise word in his speech, hid did not sound sincere or if he meant it.
    It looked like he was just making sounds that we picked up as words, reminded me of the lads that struggled to read during english in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

golfball37 wrote: »
    Callinan whilst he has acted appallingly towards the whistleblowers and was complicit in the O'Mahony whitewash was the only Commisioner in the last 30 years to stop these telephone recordings. Yet this is the reason he was effectively fired by the Taoiseach !! That circle cannot be squared I'm afraid.

GUBU doesn't even come close anymore, this crowd are far worse than anything FF have thrown at us. Labour party RIP and to the grass roots members- you let it happen for Eamonn and Pat's pension- shame on you.

The telephone system for the Gardai was completely replaced in around 2008, this would have involved an almost forensic tendering process. I don't understand how anyone who should have known, can now claim they weren't aware, its not plausible or even possible that Justice Dept senior officals didnt know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Interesting, if it was ok for the whistleblowers to illegally release information (as suggested by the Data Protection Commissioner) for the good they did, it must then have been ok for the gardai to use illegally obtained information to convict criminals for the good that did. The end justifies the means or does it?
    Godge wrote: »
    I repeat my question. Does the end justify the means......or not?

Having it both ways makes you hypocritical.

The bolded part. Do you not see the problem with that? If information was illegally obtained to secure criminal convictions, then those convictions are unsafe and invalid. It would constitute a miscarriage of justice.

How can you possibly; and with a straight face, compare that to the actions of the whistleblowers...? For a start they were not using the information to criminally convict anyone, nothing they divulged to 3rd parties would be admissible in court.

It's not hypocritical to view things for what they are, and in context.. not doing so is simply stupid, and a pretty weak attempt to cast aspersions on the whistleblowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I struggle to think that Godge seriously believes what he is saying TBH

I struggle to think that Godge seriously believes what he is saying TBH

More worryingly, I believe he does!

• Advertisement

I'm waiting to hear why the AG failed to inform Enda and Alan of what was disclosed to her in Nov, and why no one within senior ranks of AGS seem to have been aware of the phone-recording practice.

There's a question there as to whether she informed the DPP of the practice, given that the DPP's office is the state agency prosecuting cases in court. If she, or Comm Callinan, (both being aware of the practice) did not inform the DPP and his office of it, should they stand accused of actually perverting the course of justice in regard to accused persons standing trial by use of improperly obtained evidence?

IMO, it devil's belief that a practice that had been in use for over three decades by members of AGS was NOT known to senior ranks of AGS, given that those persons rose from within the junior ranks and that they worked within different sections of AGS during their careers.

To think otherwise is to conclude that there was a group, or groups, within the force aware of the practice that chose to keep it secret from all other members of the AGS over those decades.

Advertisement