Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

bubblypop wrote: »
    You are being pedantic over grammar, I said she missed court, someone told her not to go.
    That's what I meant. She missed court for whatever reason, whoever told her. SHE WASNT THERE, therefore she missed court!!!!!
    Jesus, I never said it was her own fault!!!

No, I'm not being pedantic at all. How can anyone 'miss' something they weren't required to attend (according to AGS)?

I ask you this. Did you miss the dentist appointment you 'didn't have' yesterday?

Simple question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

no but were you bothered that the government too out an 80bn euro loan for our own good to pay back vulture capitalists on a failed bet, that our childrens children are expected to pay back??

Yes, I was, I have consistently condemned the stupidity of that FF government.

I just find it hard having to listen to Wallace who is one of those vulture capitalists who is being bailed out by my tax money.

This thread has gone completely to pot with people hurling personal insults like confetti.

I haven't had time to read all of the speeches yet in detail and all of the commentary. When I have, I will post something rational and certainly not hysterical.

Whether he resigns or not, he'll be remembered as the man that spearheaded the vast cover-up of abuses. How many bishops have refused to resign over the years.. and how many of them are highly regarded these days?

Yea but who cares how is regarded or remembered?
    Commissioner Callinan clearly doesn't care how he is regarded else he would've resigned long ago.

Shatter doesn't care what the general unwashed public think of him!
    His arrogance knows no bounds

serious people power for a couple of hours on sat would see him and callinan retiring by mon afternoon and those remaining would be well advised to pull up their socks, or the people will be out again demanding general elections imediately and the corrupt locked up for once and for all!!

But nobody cares about this. The opinion polls have shown that nobody cares. The lack of protest outside the Dail also shows this.

As I have said already, a few posters on here and on politics.ie thanking each others posts and a handful of journalists does not make serious people power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

@bubblypop. After Shatter's speech today you were of the opinion that all of McCabe's allegations had been dealt with appropriately and you seemed to be of the opinion that you couldn't see what the fuss was all about. You don't seem to fathom how grave the Jerry McGrath incident was and why people are of the opinion that this case was not satisfactorily dealt with. Let us move on to another one of the cases which was supposedly satisfactorily dealt with by the unimpeachable internal disciplinary procedures of AGS. Read the article below from The Examiner, and tell me that you think that this case was satisfactorily dealt with. For me, this sums up perfectly why the public are so unhappy with how McCabe's complaints have been dealt with.

"Failures in Bailieborough assault inquiry were ‘the final straw’

The case involved a serious assault in a pub in the Co Cavan town.

It was 11pm when the victim was subjected to a savage beating. He was in Crossan’s public house, on Lower Main St. Two local youths were understood to have been responsible. It is not known what prompted the assault on May 2007.

The attack continued outside the pub. Most of the assault was captured on CCTV. The gardaí and an ambulance were called.

The victim was taken to Cavan General Hospital where he was detained for a number of days.

A couple of days later, somebody showed up at Bailieborough station, and informed officers the two youths had returned to the pub the day after the assault and watched a rerun of the previous night’s events.

On May 27, the victim came to the station and made a complaint. Sgt McCabe alleges that the man has permanent injuries as a result of what happened.

The case was assigned to an investigating garda, who was supervised by a sergeant. As station sergeant, McCabe inquired a number of times of his colleague whether a warrant had been sought to seize the CCTV footage. He was assured that the warrant was on the way.

Over a month later, McCabe asked his colleague directly whether a warrant had been sought. He alleges the other sergeant confirmed it hadn’t.

Then, on July 6, off his own bat, McCabe applied for the search warrant for the investigating garda. Following that intervention, the footage was seized from the pub.

In the normal run of events, footage of this nature would be examined in Garda headquarters in Dublin’s Phoenix Park.

McCabe alleges an application to HQ was made through the local superintendent’s office.

The whistleblower’s complaint includes all the relevant correspondence.

The months rolled on but no file was prepared on the assault.

On November 21, McCabe says he reported the lack of progress to his superintendent. He reported again on December 14, but there was apparently still no movement.

Some weeks later, a garda called to McCabe’s office and told him the footage had never been sent to Dublin, but had lain in his own locker all the time.

Days later, McCabe was told by a colleague that the assault victim had withdrawn his complaint. Withdrawing a complaint in this manner was highly unusual, and McCabe says he became suspicious.

He visited the home of the victim, and was invited in by the victim’s partner. She told him that the investigating garda had arrived at their home some days previously and told them that the case was very weak and he wanted a statement of withdrawal.

The partner said the investigating garda had been sympathetic towards them, but she became very emotional when it became plain nothing was going to be done about the assault.

McCabe alleges she said she had trusted the garda because she took him at face value, but in light of all that happened, she was distraught. McCabe reported events to the superintendent, but, he claims, nothing further was done.

For McCabe, the case was what his complaint describes as “the straw that broke the camel’s back”.

He says he was left with no option but to resign his position as sergeant in charge of the station. Soon after, he was transferred to Mullingar.

He made a complaint and the whole case was investigated by an assistant commissioner. McCabe says he later discovered that the assault was only entered onto the Pulse system in March 2008, nine months after it occurred.

The official Garda investigation found that there was very little by way of negligence or malpractice.

“While there is no doubt that [the investigating garda] has been found wanting in the past in relation to his work, it is felt by this office that Mr [the victim] contributed largely to the failure in this investigation,” the internal review reported.

According to McCabe’s complaint, the victim had no input into the investigation after making his complaint, and could not therefore be blamed for shortcomings. The internal investigation also goes on: “Sergeant McCabe refers to this assault as a serious assault, which he [the senior officer involved] deems it not.”

One way or the other, when the case finally came to court, Judge Sean McBride refused jurisdiction, because he felt the assault was too serious for the district court. A book of evidence was sent to the DPP but the failures to investigate the matter in a timely manner meant that there was ultimately a lack of evidence on which to prosecute. No disciplinary action was recommended against any officers in the internal investigation."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/failures-in-bailieborough-assault-inquiry-were-the-final-straw-260153.html

• Advertisement

No, I'm not being pedantic at all. How can anyone 'miss' something they weren't required to attend (according to AGS)?

I ask you this. Did you miss the dentist appointment you 'didn't have' yesterday?

Simple question.

Yes. I would've missed it.
    I don't understand your big issue with this.

Some people sleep in for work, others I know ' sleep it out'
    Yes she missed it because she was told she didn't need to attend, therefore SHE MISSED IT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Godge wrote: »
    Yes, I was, I have consistently condemned the stupidity of that FF government.

I just find it hard having to listen to Wallace who is one of those vulture capitalists who is being bailed out by my tax money.

This thread has gone completely to pot with people hurling personal insults like confetti.

I haven't had time to read all of the speeches yet in detail and all of the commentary. When I have, I will post something rational and certainly not hysterical.

Waiting for your unbiased comment. Will I have to wait up long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

But nobody cares about this. The opinion polls have shown that nobody cares. The lack of protest outside the Dail also shows this.

As I have said already, a few posters on here and on politics.ie thanking each others posts and a handful of journalists does not make serious people power.

Why do you keep quoting then opinion polls?
    Boards.ie is as valid as any opinion poll yet you rubbish this thread.
    Make up your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Yes she missed it because she was told she didn't need to attend, therefore SHE MISSED IT!!!!

I've yet to hear of anyone sleeping in for work on a day they were not required to go in.

When was the last time you slept in for work when you were on a day Off?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yea but who cares how is regarded or remembered?
    Commissioner Callinan clearly doesn't care how he is regarded else he would've resigned long ago.

Shatter doesn't care what the general unwashed public think of him!
    His arrogance knows no bounds

Yea but who cares?

Well, FG should care for a start. Their grass roots party members should definitely fcuking care.

Why are any of those gombeens standing by Shatter. As you say, he doesn't care. He'll be in the US living the life of luxury after the next election... while more and more cases of historical abuses become known. Abuses that FG (the party) appeared to do their best to hide when people begun to shine a public light on them.

• Advertisement

Ah in fairness there is a difference, saying she missed it implies any number of reasons why she didn't attend but we know there was only ONE reason why she wasn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

This story should be taking up most of the time on the Rte news but it seems to be getting fcuk all airtime. Is it a case of the media turning a blind eye to the hierarchy??

People arent protesting because the vast majority of them are brain washed into thinking nothing is wrong!!

bajer101 wrote: »
    @bubblypop. After Shatter's speech today you were of the opinion that all of McCabe's allegations had been dealt with appropriately and you seemed to be of the opinion that you couldn't see what the fuss was all about. You don't seem to fathom how grave the Jerry McGrath incident was and why people are of the opinion that this case was not satisfactorily dealt with. Let us move on to another one of the cases which was supposedly satisfactorily dealt with by the unimpeachable internal disciplinary procedures of AGS. Read the article below from The Examiner, and tell me that you think that this case was satisfactorily dealt with. For me, this sums up perfectly why the public are so unhappy with how McCabe's complaints have been dealt with.

"Failures in Bailieborough assault inquiry were ‘the final straw’

The case involved a serious assault in a pub in the Co Cavan town.

It was 11pm when the victim was subjected to a savage beating. He was in Crossan’s public house, on Lower Main St. Two local youths were understood to have been responsible. It is not known what prompted the assault on May 2007.

The attack continued outside the pub. Most of the assault was captured on CCTV. The gardaí and an ambulance were called.

The victim was taken to Cavan General Hospital where he was detained for a number of days.

A couple of days later, somebody showed up at Bailieborough station, and informed officers the two youths had returned to the pub the day after the assault and watched a rerun of the previous night’s events.

On May 27, the victim came to the station and made a complaint. Sgt McCabe alleges that the man has permanent injuries as a result of what happened.

The case was assigned to an investigating garda, who was supervised by a sergeant. As station sergeant, McCabe inquired a number of times of his colleague whether a warrant had been sought to seize the CCTV footage. He was assured that the warrant was on the way.

Over a month later, McCabe asked his colleague directly whether a warrant had been sought. He alleges the other sergeant confirmed it hadn’t.

Then, on July 6, off his own bat, McCabe applied for the search warrant for the investigating garda. Following that intervention, the footage was seized from the pub.

In the normal run of events, footage of this nature would be examined in Garda headquarters in Dublin’s Phoenix Park.

McCabe alleges an application to HQ was made through the local superintendent’s office.

The whistleblower’s complaint includes all the relevant correspondence.

The months rolled on but no file was prepared on the assault.

On November 21, McCabe says he reported the lack of progress to his superintendent. He reported again on December 14, but there was apparently still no movement.

Some weeks later, a garda called to McCabe’s office and told him the footage had never been sent to Dublin, but had lain in his own locker all the time.

Days later, McCabe was told by a colleague that the assault victim had withdrawn his complaint. Withdrawing a complaint in this manner was highly unusual, and McCabe says he became suspicious.

He visited the home of the victim, and was invited in by the victim’s partner. She told him that the investigating garda had arrived at their home some days previously and told them that the case was very weak and he wanted a statement of withdrawal.

The partner said the investigating garda had been sympathetic towards them, but she became very emotional when it became plain nothing was going to be done about the assault.

McCabe alleges she said she had trusted the garda because she took him at face value, but in light of all that happened, she was distraught. McCabe reported events to the superintendent, but, he claims, nothing further was done.

For McCabe, the case was what his complaint describes as “the straw that broke the camel’s back”.

He says he was left with no option but to resign his position as sergeant in charge of the station. Soon after, he was transferred to Mullingar.

He made a complaint and the whole case was investigated by an assistant commissioner. McCabe says he later discovered that the assault was only entered onto the Pulse system in March 2008, nine months after it occurred.

The official Garda investigation found that there was very little by way of negligence or malpractice.

“While there is no doubt that [the investigating garda] has been found wanting in the past in relation to his work, it is felt by this office that Mr [the victim] contributed largely to the failure in this investigation,” the internal review reported.

According to McCabe’s complaint, the victim had no input into the investigation after making his complaint, and could not therefore be blamed for shortcomings. The internal investigation also goes on: “Sergeant McCabe refers to this assault as a serious assault, which he [the senior officer involved] deems it not.”

One way or the other, when the case finally came to court, Judge Sean McBride refused jurisdiction, because he felt the assault was too serious for the district court. A book of evidence was sent to the DPP but the failures to investigate the matter in a timely manner meant that there was ultimately a lack of evidence on which to prosecute. No disciplinary action was recommended against any officers in the internal investigation."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/failures-in-bailieborough-assault-inquiry-were-the-final-straw-260153.html

As I stated already, I wait for evidence in these cases.
    I have never seen or read any if these complaints because I assume they shouldn't be in the public domain.

All I said today was that it appeared all complaints had been dealt with.
    This one was also investigated.
    If the injured party in this case or any member of the public has a complaint, they can report it to GSOC. That is why they were set up! To investigate complaints against gardai.

I'm a fair and honest person, I think the commissioner and shatter should go, given their behaviour going back months.
    But I also wait till I know the full story before I make my mind up.
    Forgive me if I don't believe all I read in newspapers......,.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

[/U][/B]

Waiting for your unbiased comment. Will I have to wait up long.

You'll have to wait three days minimum, anyway. Banned for persistent rudeness.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

fr3d12 wrote: »
    Make up your mind.

Need I refer you to the last general election where the poll on boards showed huge support for Sinn Fein, independents and even some lingering support for the Greens, all of which were wrong. FG and Labour got a huge majority when the boards.ie poll had them much much lower.

boards.ie is only as representative as those who sign up for it. In general boards.ie users are more male, younger, and more technically savvy than the general population which is why boards.ie view are unrepresentative.

I am not saying that the views are wrong, just that they do not represent what the general public is thinking.

In the same way a conversation in the pub on a Friday night does not represent what the general public is thinking (and sometimes the debate on here falls below the standard of a good night in the pub).

Ah in fairness there is a difference, saying she missed it implies any number of reasons why she didn't attend but we know there was only ONE reason why she wasn't there.

Well sorry if my English is different to everyone else's!!!!
    If I didn't go to a friends wedding or a night out, even if I decided I just wasn't going, I would say I missed it.
    If it was my ma's birthday & I didn't see her, I'd say I missed it.

Obviously if the woman was told she wasn't to go then its not get fault, but she missed it!!!

Never did I say it was HER fault!!!!!!
    Jaysus, tough crowd.......

I have never seen or read any if these complaints because I assume they shouldn't be in the public domain.

If the injured party in this case or any member of the public has a complaint, they can report it to GSOC. That is why they were set up! To investigate complaints against gardai.

I'm a fair and honest person, I think the commissioner and shatter should go, given their behaviour going back months.

As you well know GSOC has not been effective, Gardai have been slow to co-operate and this has been well documented.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Keep to the topic at hand please, that means it isn't a thread for you to soapbox your dislike of "terrorist" Gerry Adams or drag up off topic stuff about Mick Wallace just because they are critical of Shatter, thank you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

When cases such as this are investigated by GSOC, they are usually handed back to AGS with conclusions and recommendations, for AGS to deal with via their internal disciplinary procedures. But more often than not, nothing gets done.

As you are a serving member of AGS, I would like to think that if you encountered such malpractice in your station you wouldn't be too happy. And this was just one of many such incidents that occurred. Can you begin to see why McCabe became so frustrated?

You don't want to believe what Mick Clifford has written, but he is one of the most highly respected and conscientious journalists in the country. You know that this article is 100% correct, but you would prefer to believe politicians, party shills, and others with vested interests just because they seem to reinforce your predetermined views. At some point you are going to have to face up to the reality that there was serious malpractice going on. McCabe reported it. As a result he was hounded, bullied and abused. And the cases that he reported were not dealt with appropriately.

Need I refer you to the last general election where the poll on boards showed huge support for Sinn Fein, independents and even some lingering support for the Greens, all of which were wrong. FG and Labour got a huge majority when the boards.ie poll had them much much lower.

boards.ie is only as representative as those who sign up for it. In general boards.ie users are more male, younger, and more technically savvy than the general population which is why boards.ie view are unrepresentative.

I am not saying that the views are wrong, just that they do not represent what the general public is thinking.

In the same way a conversation in the pub on a Friday night does not represent what the general public is thinking (and sometimes the debate on here falls below the standard of a good night in the pub).

It didn't take a poll to indicate who was going to win the last election, it was never going to be anyone else except the two Govt. parties
    Polls taken in the street aren't representative of the general public either, How many times has two opinion polls on the same election/subject revealed completely different results.
    The polls of the Presidential election had Sean ??? way ahead of the rest yet he does not reside in the Aras does he?

• Advertisement

If I didn't go to a friends wedding or a night out, even if I decided I just wasn't going, I would say I missed it.

Obviously if the woman was told she wasn't to go then its not get fault, but she missed it!!!

The context is important given the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

What opinion poll has there been, asking peoples opinion on this specific issue? Why are you so insistent that nobody cares that gardai are behaving in such a manner, with the tacit approval of the commissioner, backed up by the minister of justice? Do you really think this is a non-event. Every radio station, every news bulletin, every news paper, every political forum, and the dáil (which has set aside normal business to discuss this) are talking about it.

The crowd is tough, because, while factually correct, your statement is incomplete, ie. does not give the full picture. The same as Shatter's explanation that sergeant Mc Cabe did not cooperate with the investigation, is true but misleading. But then I think you new that.

Interesting headline in tomorrow's Examiner:

"Garda warned to drop her sex attack complaint".

Confidential Recipient: "Last man to use service now washing cars"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Is that of any importance? Finding out whether the gardaí are doing their jobs properly shouldn't be linked to opinion polls

bajer101 wrote: »
    When cases such as this are investigated by GSOC, they are usually handed back to AGS with conclusions and recommendations, for AGS to deal with via their internal disciplinary procedures. But more often than not, nothing gets done.

As you are a serving member of AGS, I would like to think that if you encountered such malpractice in your station you wouldn't be too happy. And this was just one of many such incidents that occurred. Can you begin to see why McCabe became so frustrated?

You don't want to believe what Mick Clifford has written, but he is one of the most highly respected and conscientious journalists in the country. You know that this article is 100% correct, but you would prefer to believe politicians, party shills, and others with vested interests just because they seem to reinforce your predetermined views. At some point you are going to have to face up to the reality that there was serious malpractice going on. McCabe reported it. As a result he was hounded, bullied and abused. And the cases that he reported were not dealt with appropriately.

I already stated on here that I believe all illegal and malpractices in AGS should be investigated thoroughly. And in cases where GSOC find a breach of discipline I believe there should be an independent office that can discipline, that can also investigate garda complaints and should be in charge of appointments of officers.
    Clearly the situation at present is not working.

And I'm not saying I don't believe individual reporters, I just have reservations with believing everything I read in newspapers.

I already stated on here that I believe all illegal and malpractices in AGS should be investigated thoroughly. And in cases where GSOC find a breach of discipline I believe there should be an independent office that can discipline, that can also investigate garda complaints and should be in charge of appointments of officers.

And I'm not saying I don't believe individual reporters, I just have reservations with believing everything I read in newspapers.

You made the comment about not believing everything you read in the papers while quoting a comment from me that included an transcript from an article by Mick Clifford. The inescapable conclusion was that you were reluctant to believe that particular article!

Of course you shouldn't believe everything you read in the papers, but you have to look at the credentials and reputation of the author of any given article. For example, when Paul Williams wrote that the mobile phones of the Verrimus' staff who were performing the security sweep of GSOC were responsible for creating the false GSM tower, you don't have to be a technical expert to know that he was talking sh1t. He has an agenda and his reputation is terrible, therefore everything that he writes needs to be taken with a very large pinch of salt. However, when Mick Clifford writes a piece, I would usually take it as being very reliable. During the Mahon tribunal he was perhaps the only journalist who attended every single day and his writings on the subject were peerless. I would view his writings on the penalty points saga and GSOC in general to be as close to the real truth of events that we will ever read.

Well I will admit that I'm not that familiar with that particular journalist writing, but I'll Still be wary of believing everything wrote in papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

One of your previous posts asks what members of the public want.

Speaking for myself as a member of the public, I want an immediate end to all internal garda investigations of allegations of misconduct by gardaí.

I want an end to the gardaí deciding what disciplinary measures to take (if any are taken at all) when GSOC investigates and concludes that disciplinary measures are warranted.

I want an end to GSOC not being able to investigate the Garda Commissioner.

I want an end to GSOC having garda liaison officers working with them - too much potential for divided loyalties.

I want GSOC to have unrestricted access to PULSE and any other systems the Gardaí use for record keeping.

I want a massive increase in GSOC staff numbers from the current 80 or so to about 800.

I want GSOC to be able to investigate garda policies, practices and procedures without having to get the approval of the Minister for Justice.

I want an independent Garda Authority to be set up to appoint and promote all gardaí.

I want an end to unmonitored garda activity.

I want the gardaí to know that everything they say and do while on duty is being monitored and recorded at all times and I want the gardaí to be very afraid of the consequences of breaching the law and/or garda regulations

I want every single room and outside area, including toilets, changing rooms car-parks and yards, in every single garda station to be monitored by sound and video recording (from all possible angles) 24/7.

I want every single garda vehicle subject to the same degree of monitoring.

I want every single uniformed garda to have to wear a uniform camera at all times on duty.

I want any illicit interference with sound and video recording equipment to be a criminal offence, with instant suspension from duty for any garda found to be so doing, pending the outcome of the criminal investigation.

I want gardaí who bring the force into disrepute by their behaviour off-duty to be disciplined.

I want a 'three-strikes and you're out rule' for even minor breaches of discipline.

I want instant and permanent dismissal from the force to be the penalty for any serious breach of discipline or even a minor breach of the law.

I want gardaí who are on duty to follow all rules of the road, including parking regulations, at all times unless a breach is necessitated by an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Make up your mind.

Opinion polls are scientific in the sense that a range of voter ages, locations, gender etc are taken into account while compiling the data.

Boards.ie, or any web or text poll is not scientific.

• Advertisement

An independent garda authority would be a very good addition.
    And I believe much needed at this stage.
    I think gardai would welcome this.

Maybe the public could push for this? Because I don't see it as even being anywhere in the governments mind.

Advertisement