Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BATTLEFRONT (by DICE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

:(

That's less than 2005's Battlefront 2.

To be fair early 2000s were the golden era for huge amounts of players per server. mohaa with 64, bf1942 had some 128 person servers.

No space battles is really upsetting. Arguably my favourite bit of battlefront was epic space battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Battlefield franchise has had 64 players since BF1942 and so has the Battlefront franchise.

It seems a little strange that they merge the two and suddenly it's only 40 player.

Unless that was a reference to console versions, as I believe the PS4 version was the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

I need to update my console to get the new battlefront (still have ps2). Any suggestions on which one i should get? honestly, im not trying to start a war, just need help on which one to pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Long as the game is designed well first or third person doesn't really worry me. However, 40 player maps are a bit poor. I was kinda hoping for battlefield but with star wars theme. No gigantic maps I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The Battlefield franchise has had 64 players since BF1942 and so has the Battlefront franchise.

It seems a little strange that they merge the two and suddenly it's only 40 player.

Unless that was a reference to console versions, as I believe the PS4 version was the demo.

The key differentiator tbh is that this isn't Battlefield. Same devs & engine, but thats about it. I think 40 is a good compromise, given the graphical fidelity of the game so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

I really don't want this game to be released until it's perfect.
    If you look on the website there is already mention of dlc coming out 'Battle of Jakku' this really disappoints me.. I don't want this to be like Call of duty or Battlefield where they release 10 maps originally and then have dlc every few months...

Also someone above mentioned that they hoped there would be 3rd person, it was confirmed that there will be 1st and 3rd person you can change between them. Source - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seaPWKXJohE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Its free DLC thats coming out after the game has launched. That signals that they're prioritising in getting the game up to standard & then once that is done, giving people who bought the game extra content. Not too bad to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I am amazed that the 3rd person inclusion isn't bothering people. It is basically going to be a shoot em up with firing from the hip and no recoil.

No chance that people will use first person when playing via 3rd person. Flawed game design

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

"game engine" footage is not equal to actual gameplay. I'm a bit dissapointed with the game description in the Origin store as well. I was expecting it to talk about mixed space battle and on-foot gameplay like maybe a station attack that starts in space and ends up with you boarding an enemy ship (like titan mode in 2142). From the description it looks like there will be a separate x-wing versus tie fighter game mode which hopefully will have something to keep us interested longer than the Air Superiority mode in BF4 but I was hoping for something a bit more epic.

https://www.origin.com/en-ie/store/buy/192140/pc-download/base-game/standard-edition

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

mozattack wrote: »
    I am amazed that the 3rd person inclusion isn't bothering people. It is basically going to be a shoot em up with firing from the hip and no recoil.

No chance that people will use first person when playing via 3rd person. Flawed game design

You're going to be firing laser blasters in a STAR WARS game.... FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

5uspect wrote: »
    You're going to be firing laser blasters in a STAR WARS game.... FFS

There's still recoil in star war.

Only weapon drift where the weapon moves so as to obscure the target is not present in 3rd person, camera bouncing around and your aim being affected is still there.

miralize wrote: »
    The key differentiator tbh is that this isn't Battlefield. Same devs & engine, but thats about it. I think 40 is a good compromise, given the graphical fidelity of the game so far.

I know, but the older Battlefront titles had 64 player on the PC as well. If it's 40 players in the new Battlefront on PC as well as consoles, that means either smaller or less populated maps. Quite disappointed with the player count. Hoth and Endor 64-player in Battlefront 2 were epic.

Battlefront has always had the option of 3rd and first person. In the previous games there was recoil and for any sort of accuracy aiming down the sights was essential.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mozattack wrote: »

This sounds like something the designers would take into account, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I know, but the older Battlefront titles had 64 player on the PC as well. If it's 40 players in the new Battlefront on PC as well as consoles, that means either smaller or less populated maps. Quite disappointed with the player count. Hoth and Endor 64-player in Battlefront 2 were epic.

I'm more concerned there is no flight or single player along with the fact Dice and EA are well known for nickle and diming there playerbase :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

I do love the inclusion of split screen co-op for some modes. Looking forward to learning more about this game than any other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 PedroBear

Battlefront will NOT use Battlelog.

Praise the lords, there IS a God! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

PedroBear wrote: »
    Battlefront will NOT use Battlelog.

Praise the lords, there IS a God! :D

Yay, I'll have to launch the game to find out if any of my friends is playing the game or if any of my favourite servers are in use. :eek:

Yay, I'll have to launch the game to find out if any of my friends is playing the game or if any of my favourite servers are in use. :eek:

I'm over the moon.

I hated the bloody thing from the word "go!". You never had to launch the game to see friends....doesn't Origin have this information available to you before you start up an application?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

I'm over the moon.

I hated the bloody thing from the word "go!". You never had to launch the game to see friends....doesn't Origin have this information available to you before you start up an application?

Not quite, you can set your origin to not report when you're online. Plus even when you can see someone, you don't know what game type that person is playing.

Besides, my browser is open most of the time, much easier to switch to an open tab than launch Origin and start clicking about the place.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

In fairness battlelog was pretty decent for the most part. Launching the single player from it was a bit daft, but I only ever did that a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have to agree Battlelog turned into a very handy feature for BF.

I need to update my console to get the new battlefront (still have ps2). Any suggestions on which one i should get? honestly, im not trying to start a war, just need help on which one to pick

PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Yep, PC. Seriously.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Did they announce some really bad news yesterday or something? Reddit went a bit mental this morning, and i can't seem to find out why (in work)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Might have something to do with someone comparing the amount of content to Battlefront 2:

Summarised in an article here (translated from German)

Only 40 players seemed strange to me, but now confirmed that no player controlled AT-AT's this time around either!

Not overly worried about the maps, as the same was true for BF4 and BF3 at launch, as long as they're tightly designed it'll be fine - never played the vast majority of maps in Battlefront 2 to be honest, there was just a handful of excellent ones.

Lack of space battles is a bit of a bummer. Thought they said we would be seeing land to space battles at some stage earlier on. They were good fun in BF2, they weren't limited to space, you could board and attack enemy ships. Great fun. Possibly be a DLC in the new Battlefront?

Lack of space battles is a bit of a bummer. Thought they said we would be seeing land to space battles at some stage earlier on. They were good fun in BF2, they weren't limited to space, you could board and attack enemy ships. Great fun. Possibly be a DLC in the new Battlefront?

Ah, sure don't you know....

EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Ah, sure don't you know....

EA.

Even worse is that Disney and EA have a 10 year exclusive deal for new Star Wars games :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Only 40 players seemed strange to me, but now confirmed that no player controlled AT-AT's this time around either!

Not overly worried about the maps, as the same was true for BF4 and BF3 at launch, as long as they're tightly designed it'll be fine - never played the vast majority of maps in Battlefront 2 to be honest, there was just a handful of excellent ones.

That's exactly the problem. The game could (and in my opinion should) ship with space battles on day one. It is an integral part of the Star Wars universe and central to many of the most memorable scenes from the movies. The inevitable release of the space battles on DLC is just shameless greed on the part of EA. That's not even the worst part though. The worst part is that the masses will still hoover up whatever ****e EA decide to put in the day one launch and will then pay extra for DLC content that should have been included from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

May not have to wait for Battlefront to get a Star Wars fix......

Advertisement