Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW E-Golf launched

Options

Comments

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes but we can currently but a petrol car that does all that without selling the house

Ah sure, you only live once ! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

There's a problem with the sums in the article in the link. Thanks to an eagle-eyed poster on another forum smile.png the VW figures " .. .the range is between 130 and 190 kilometers (81 and 188 miles)..." should read "... the range is between 130 and 190 kilometers (81 and 118 miles)".

mathepac wrote: »
    There's a problem with the sums in the article in the link. Thanks to an eagle-eyed poster on another forum smile.png the VW figures " .. .the range is between 130 and 190 kilometers (81 and 188 miles)..." should read "... the range is between 130 and 190 kilometers (81 and 118 miles)".

Ha yeah, well spotted. I don't think anyone would believe it anyway ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Sometimes I can't believe how negatively some think about EVs. I think 118 miles is a fine range. I live in Northern Ireland and could drive all the way home with charge to spare so what would I worry about. Furthermore, I've driven to Cork/Kerry on several occasions in my ice and never once have I failed to stop for 20 mins. Anyone driving 2 hrs or more will be glad of a half hour break for a coffee. For the 1% of people that really must drive for 4 hrs without stopping...stick with ICE. I like the leaf but I think I'll get the egolf cos it's prettier and probably will resale better. If electric doesn't work out ill change it to ice but I sincerely hope my next 2 cars are egolf then tesla.
    Ecars are specifically designed to be more efficient. They will ultimately require less energy to get from a to b regardless of where the energy comes from

I live in Dublin and return home to n ireland to see family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

118 mile range isn't enough. I have 240km round trip to work each day meaning it's not far off 4 hours in the car due to traffic. Nowhere to charge it in work. I'd be goosed. Plenty more people in the same boat. If I was to stop for a half hour it would be a major PITA. I like the idea, but until the range is doubled a lot of people won't chose one.

If you have a second car for longer spins then it makes an awful lot of sense.

118 mile range isn't enough. I have 240km round trip to work each day meaning it's not far off 4 hours in the car due to traffic. Nowhere to charge it in work. I'd be goosed. Plenty more people in the same boat. If I was to stop for a half hour it would be a major PITA. I like the idea, but until the range is doubled a lot of people won't chose one.

I hear ya. It doesn't suit you. No one is asking you to buy it though. Some leaf owners have worked it into their daily commute successfully but not everyone will. If it becomes more normal you might have a charger in work in the future

I cycle to work. Take spins around town visiting in laws and go up north bi monthly. It's perfect for me

You'd be better off looking for a Mk 1.5 Leaf high spec with 6.6 kw charger.

The golf may have only slightly more range, but not nearly enough to justify a lot more cash.

+ the Golf has CCS only fast charging and they refuse to make a CCS to ChaDeMo adapter like Tesla will because the Volkswagen group do not want people to buy electrics. Nor BMW. You'll find a lot less CCS chargers.

The Germans poor excuse of ev's came about due to the government forcing them to make electrics, hence the birth of the pathetic E-golf and I3. BMW's lame excuse to range is the Rex model, stick in a motorbike engine to top up the batteries and not bother fill the extra space with batteries.

At least Mercedes had the good sense to use Tesla electrics and batteries in the B class Ev, but it still won't have much greater range than a Leaf.

The Germans will only release proper electrics when they start to loose sales to ev's from other manufacturers but for now the E-Golf and I3 are compliance cars only. Batteries are better than 2009 when NEC made the batteries for the leaf.

Panasonic 18650 NCA cells are what Tesla use, but they are laptop size cells much smaller than the Automotive specific NEC cells in the Leaf. Sure you need a lot more 18650 cells but they are more energy dense and Tesla have a very clever way of packaging them all together.

If you look at the Leaf, the rental option to buy is 5 K less than the one with the battery included, hardly a massive price. And The cells tesla use are much cheaper.

The Tesla Model E will be a very exciting car.

LOL it's not electric cars are the problem it's your mental commute mate ! :D

Jesus that's serious mileage, 20 hrs a week driving, 150 miles a day WTF ?

Not even a fast charge in a Leaf would let you do that comfortably in winter ! :D

You need a Model S Sport with 85 kwh battery ! :D

bilbot79 wrote: »
    If it becomes more normal you might have a charger in work in the future

Work charging will never happen as it's not a priority for the Government, it's not even on the list.

Leaf II will have more range by then and my guess is 120-150 miles will be possible, the Tesla Model E the so called affordable Tesla will also be available

So by 2017/18 the Government will still not address work charging but the need will be much less.

Work charging also needs to be for those who need it only and not every tom dick and harry that lives down the road as we see happening with public chargers, a lot of people tying up fast chargers just because they can, because they're free. Sooner they charge the better.

• Advertisement

LOL it's not electric cars are the problem it's your mental commute mate ! :D

Jesus that's serious mileage, 20 hrs a week driving, 150 miles a day WTF ?

Not even a fast charge in a Leaf would let you do that comfortably in winter ! :D

You need a Model S Sport with 85 kwh battery ! :D

Has to be done. I expect the car outside the door to do its job - electric cars can't do that for me, and a very many more. I'm sure that will change iin a generation or two. You can't rely on public charge points at the moment on the way to work. You're against the clock on the way in.

The main positive thing I see about the electric Golf though is it doesn't look weird. The Leaf is an odd looking car imo.

Has to be done. I expect the car outside the door to do its job - electric cars can't do that for me, and a very many more. I'm sure that will change iin a generation or two. You can't rely on public charge points at the moment on the way to work. You're against the clock on the way in.

The main positive thing I see about the electric Golf though is it doesn't look weird. The Leaf is an odd looking car imo.

Leaf won't work for either of us atm, but seriously that's a mental commute. Life is too short mate.

Not too many doing a 150 mile commute I expect.

Leaf won't work for either of us atm, but seriously that's a mental commute. Life is too short mate.

Not too many doing a 150 mile commute I expect.

There's a lot of people doing that. Used do almost twice that. Can always stay up a night or two if needs be. Music and cruise on and I treat it like chill out time:)

Imagine if there was a cheaper 200 mile range EV, would save companies with rep cars a fortune monthly if the cost was covering the reps ESB bill.

There's a lot of people doing that. Used do almost twice that. Can always stay up a night or two if needs be. Music and cruise on and I treat it like chill out time:)

Imagine if there was a cheaper 200 mile range EV, would save companies with rep cars a fortune monthly if the cost was covering the reps ESB bill.

If driving is part of that job that's understandable but mental if it's to work and back.

I don't think a 200 mile EV will appear soon that's affordable. I don't think the Leaf II will have that. That would mean it would need a 60 kwh battery. It can be done but cost is the main obstacle today. If anyone can do it though it will be tesla, my guess is the Model E in 2017/8 will have 200 miles range.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/tesla-affordable-2016-model-e-compact.html

"In regards to the Model E, during a recent Q&A session at the California Public Utilities Commission, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that the company is aiming to produce a car around 20 percent smaller than the Model S "at probably half the cost", starting from $35,000, and with a battery range of about 200 miles (320 kilometers).

I'd easily pay 35 for the model e. I read somewhere that the egolf might be under 30k.
    Mad lad, I don't understand mk 1.5 etc. What year is that for the leaf? Is it cheaper to get that from mainland UK or here?
    I'm going the pcp route for my next car and vw are better for that I think plus if you bought a new ev here u get charger installed free

I'd easily pay 35 for the model e. I read somewhere that the egolf might be under 30k.
    Mad lad, I don't understand mk 1.5 etc. What year is that for the leaf? Is it cheaper to get that from mainland UK or here?
    I'm going the pcp route for my next car and vw are better for that I think plus if you bought a new ev here u get charger installed free

The MK 1.5 leaf is the face lift that came out in Q3 2013. Some Mk I exist from this time also that were old stock.

The MK 1.5 is more efficent with a more efficient heater and regen.

VW may have cheaper interest but you'll pay more, balances out perhaps and you might have better re sale value.

You could still save a tonne on a MK 1.5 leaf in the U.K they have a load of ex lease and demo cars for sale there compared to here, the resale value on the Leaf in Ireland is very good. Beats all but the premium brands but not by much.

You do get a free home EVSE unit installed if you buy new in Ireland, that's the box you plug the car in to charge.

You would still save by importing and getting a spark to install the evse. The fuel savings would pay it back over the years.

The MK 1.5 leaf is the face lift that came out in Q3 2013. Some Mk I exist from this time also that were old stock.

The MK 1.5 is more efficent with a more efficient heater and regen.

VW may have cheaper interest but you'll pay more, balances out perhaps and you might have better re sale value.

You could still save a tonne on a MK 1.5 leaf in the U.K they have a load of ex lease and demo cars for sale there compared to here, the resale value on the Leaf in Ireland is very good. Beats all but the premium brands but not by much.

You do get a free home EVSE unit installed if you buy new in Ireland, that's the box you plug the car in to charge.

You would still save by importing and getting a spark to install the evse. The fuel savings would pay it back over the years.

Thanks. Just out of interest how much would you expect to pay for mk 1.5 in uk?

Thanks. Just out of interest how much would you expect to pay for mk 1.5 in uk?

You should be able to get one for €19,500 with as little as 5,000 miles. The Highest spec ones are the ones to go for, imo. The MK I was a high spec car.

Of course you got to factor in transport, and the cost to change money, paying for the home EVSE etc. The Top spec in Ireland costs about 28K new with the 6.6 kw charger.

Always look for the 6.6 kw charger if you can because it will allow you to charge twice as fast from all the non fast public chargers, which there are many more of, not always an option if buying 2nd hand, you'd be especially mad not to get the 6.6kw charger if buying new.

The mid spec can be got for about 17,200 Euro's without 6.6kw charger. It'd hard enough to find the higher power charger. I wouldn't buy it without it.

This at 18,449 Euro's is pretty good considering it's about 25,500 here. I suppose the mid spec is pretty ok, and if I were to choose then I would choose the mid spec with 6.6 kw charger over the high spec without.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201405063957467/sort/default/usedcars/postcode/bt11aa/radius/1501/model/leaf/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew/page/1/make/nissan/keywords/6.6kw/maximum-age/up_to_1_year_old/advert-type/standard-listing?logcode=ucnnp

These are the specs , so you can make up your own mind, heated seats will be very handy when you don't need much heat from the heater.

IMHO spending nearly 10K extra to buy a brand new E-Golf would be pure insanity, if it proves to have maybe 10-15 more miles range, then maybe that would be the deciding factor, but remember there are far fewer CCS capable fast chargers.

AFAIK, the E-Golf doesn't have a much more efficient heat pump ehater as standard though not sure yet.

LeafSpecUK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

The Tesla Model E will be a very exciting car.

Thinking of changing the Honda Accord next year. What are the chances of Tesla selling their amazing cars in Ireland by then? Not much I assume? Meanwhile I wonder what next version of Leaf would be like, now that Tesla is sharing their technology with anyone who want to use them. They are truly doing amazing things.

Renault had a Zoe exhibited outside Dundrum town center couple of weeks ago, no one around to talk to you about the car and no one even noticed the car there - which is a good thing I suppose, electric cars are starting to look more and more normal.

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    Thinking of changing the Honda Accord next year. What are the chances of Tesla selling their amazing cars in Ireland by then? Not much I assume? Meanwhile I wonder what next version of Leaf would be like, now that Tesla is sharing their technology with anyone who want to use them. They are truly doing amazing things.

Renault had a Zoe exhibited outside Dundrum town center couple of weeks ago, no one around to talk to you about the car and no one even noticed the car there - which is a good thing I suppose, electric cars are starting to look more and more normal.

You can buy the Model S in the U.K. Maybe even up the North.

It's anyone's guess what Leaf II will be like. It surely will have more range though looking likely to be an option to have a larger battery. Good to have the choice though, why carry around a bigger more expensive battery if you don't need it ?

You can't just plug into one. Tesla's chargers, the battery has to be capable of taking 130 kw and that's going to be a while before smaller batteries can take such a charge, of the automotive specific batteries that is, there are batteries that can take such a charge but make them unsuitable for ev use. Larger batteries can naturally take a higher rate of charge.

Using tesla batteries is a good idea and Mercedes use on of Tesla's much smaller packs on the B class ev. Though Mercedes have a small share in Tesla or at least they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

You can buy the Model S in the U.K. Maybe even up the North.

Only in London so far. Stores are planned for Manchester and Birmingham.

Source: http://www.teslamotors.com/findus/stores

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't know. I think they actually have a place now in 2 car households.
    Seeing as many are buying on pcp type deals, If the ev golf has good resale value, the actual price might not be a major issue.

I agree. We are test driving a Renault Fluence EZ for three months and after only one week, and plenty of range anxiety and non-functioning ESB charging station experiences...I'd still fork out the moolah when considering buying a new car. The low running costs, low maintenance costs, low tax costs are all excellent reasons and that does not even touch on what eCars might do for cleaner air...now to convince more people to drive them!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Lad's, can we stick to kph and kilometres please?

Mph and miles are just confusing and old fashioned.

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Lad's, can we stick to kph and kilometres please?

Mph and miles are just confusing and old fashioned.

I think people are entitled to use kph or mph is hardly call it old fashioned.

A lot of people are used to mph surely you can do the conversion in your head by now that you shouldn't really need to think about it?

WiseMona wrote: »
    I agree. We are test driving a Renault Fluence EZ for three months and after only one week, and plenty of range anxiety and non-functioning ESB charging station experiences...I'd still fork out the moolah when considering buying a new car. The low running costs, low maintenance costs, low tax costs are all excellent reasons and that does not even touch on what eCars might do for cleaner air...now to convince more people to drive them!

The major problem with the Fluence is it had no fast charger port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

you can now configure the E-GOLF ON VOLKSWAGEN.IE PLUS PRICE LIST ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

Very normal looking car which is the best part of e-Golf. But at €32,600+ and with the following fuel savings figures... I am not sold on e-Golf yet.

322964.png

The e golf is over priced. And you have to be very Careful with your options. The e-golf does not include the much more efficient heat pump. It is an option.

There is no technological advantage in the e golf over the Leaf and the Zoe has the best charger of all electric cars.

The Golf may have a better longer lasting battery but that is unknown and will be for 2-3 years +.

the Golf battery may not even heat up nearly as much as the Leaf battery in the fast charger though again this is speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

Interesting that the Golf seems to be claiming 12.3kw per 100km.

Had a test drive in a Leaf on Saturday last and the computer was showing 16.3 kw per 100km. cat had nearly 3000km on it so it's probably a fair average.

I was absolutely impressed by the leaf, the power and at one stage we had five adults in the car and it accelerated amazingly.

It actually a real car.

Advertisement