Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW E-Golf launched

Options
  • 15-02-2014 2:06pm

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/02/20140215-egolf.html

A claimed 12.7 kwh/100 Kms. Consumption V the Leaf's 15.

Meaning the E-Golf needs 20kwh to go 160 kms or just over 100 miels V the Leaf's 30 kwh/100 miles.

I severely doubt the E-Golf is that much more efficient than the Leaf, using a whopping 10 Kwh less per 100 miles. Not a hope in hell.

They must have been getting that from the NEDC test which is completely bogus and the E.U needs to step in to protect consumers from outrageous mpg expectations and EV ranges !!!

Anyway 35K for the E-Golf and probably hasn't much more range than the MK 1.5 leaf with heatpump and more efficient regen.

Still, that is 3500 Euro's cheapet than the GTD TDI 180 hp DSG, though that has about an 0-100 kphof about 7.5 seconds compared to 10.5 for the E-Golf, though the E-Golf will have a fraction of the running costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It looks normal though. That'll be enough to get one over the leaf for a lot of people

For 15,000 Euro's more than the Basic Leaf though ? or 10 K for the pretty well equipped mid range SV or 8K more than the top range leaf.

I can't wait for an EPA review !

volkswagen-e-golf-018-960x642.jpg

Volkswagen_e-Golf-6cutaway.jpg

e-golf-drive-05.jpg

VW-e-Golf-cut-section-3-1024x768.jpg

00-WV-e-Golf.jpg

I do like the idea of DSG Style flappy paddles to control regen strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

VW have'nt been particularly real world with their tdi fuel consumption claims of late. Wouldn't be surprised if the e-golf is the same.

3.2l/100km out of the new 1.6tdi golf apparently :cool:.

• Advertisement

Interslice wrote: »
    VW have'nt been particularly real world with their tdi fuel consumption claims of late. Wouldn't be surprised if the e-golf is the same.

88 mpg :D would love one for a week though to see what I could get, same with Renaults new Clio with claimed 90 mpg.

The E-Golf might be more efficient than a Leaf but the Leaf's 30 kwh/100 miles is the EPA rating.

Even if the E-golf managed 10 more miles per charge than the Leaf I still don't think it's 10,000 Euro's price tag is worth it. Especially considering there are 0 CCS fast chargers yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Especially considering there are 0 CCS fast chargers yet.

How fast will they charge a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Great to see a proper mainstream EV finally

Great to see a proper mainstream EV finally

I agree but the pricing is ridiculous, if they could make a Golf EV for circa 25k they would be on to a winner.

Sitec wrote: »
    How fast will they charge a car?

20 mins v 30 for Leaf to 80% though some sources say 30 mins too. Still researching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I agree but the pricing is ridiculous, if they could make a Golf EV for circa 25k they would be on to a winner.

Yet they sell like hotcakes in Norway.

Positive taxation would make them very attractive also some more charge points.

20 mins v 30 for Leaf to 80%

Nice little leap in technology there, hopefully in five years time it will be down to ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Interslice wrote: »

Lol, very true. I have a loan of a Mk7 1.6 TDi at the moment. Drove it from Belfast to Limerick yesterday and it used more fuel than my CC 2.0 TDi did doing the reverse journey 2 days earlier.

Nice little leap in technology there, hopefully in five years time it will be down to ten minutes.

Yeah sorry had to edit that , conflicting information on that.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lol, very true. I have a loan of a Mk7 1.6 TDi at the moment. Drove it from Belfast to Limerick yesterday and it used more fuel than my CC 2.0 TDi did doing the reverse journey 2 days earlier.

Is it a new car? Engine might not be broke in yet.

Pity more reading seems to suggest 30 min fast charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is it a new car? Engine might not be broke in yet.

The car has over 5k miles on it. The Golf is only 5 speed but still proves the point that small engines are not automatically the most economical. I wouldn't swap the comfort of my CC for the Golf either.

Anyway gone OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

A lot more eye pleasing than a leaf. I'd say most would prefer the egolf to a leaf. Golf is already a recognized model of car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Nixer Jim

But the burning question;

How long does it take to drive from Dublin to Cork?

A) 2 hours , 29 minutes.

B) 3 hours , 15 minutes.

C) An entire day, maybe slightly longer!

Still useless if you want to go anywhere except in and out of work for a short distance, in which case it's far more environmentally friendly to take public transport.

When they can do 250 miles on a charge, be recharged in roughly the same time as
    It takes to fill a fuel tank and that fuel tank doesn't need replacing after 7-10 years, then they might be considered useful for the majority. Till then, utterly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Nixer Jim wrote: »

A) 2 hours , 29 minutes.

B) 3 hours , 15 minutes.

Still useless if you want to go anywhere except in and out of work for a short distance, in which case it's far more environmentally friendly to take public transport.

When they can do 250 miles on a charge, be recharged in roughly the same time as
    It takes to fill a fuel tank and that fuel tank doesn't need replacing after 7-10 years, then they might be considered useful for the majority. Till then, utterly useless.

I don't know. I think they actually have a place now in 2 car households.
    Seeing as many are buying on pcp type deals, If the ev golf has good resale value, the actual price might not be a major issue.

• Advertisement

Dublin to cork would add about 30 mins, but not exactly useless, longer trips might be a pain alright but I'm sure most people can get a loan of a nice for a day.

Those who can afford a model s would have no worries of course.

As a 2 car household we wouldn't have issue. I don't think I'd have issue with one 30 min stop or 2 for the couple of times a year I might need to.

But the leaf is more than capable of doing my 20,000 mile yearly commute with a daily fast charge of 5-10 mins over lunch, the charger is only 5 mins away from where I work now.

But back to the golf, better looking or not it's still not worth 10 grand more than the leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

A) 2 hours , 29 minutes.

B) 3 hours , 15 minutes.

Yes you can drive your petrol/diesel car for 250 miles without going to the petrol station, but with an electric car you NEVER go to the petrol station. Every morning you have the car fully charged to do 80 miles driving. In other words you could do 30,000 miles in a year with only nightly charges. 80 miles in a day is more than enough for the vast majority of drivers.

Maybe not suited to someone who spends hours commuting, but not utterly useless.

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't know. I think they actually have a place now in 2 car households.
    Seeing as many are buying on pcp type deals, If the ev golf has good resale value, the actual price might not be a major issue.

I doubt with a price 10 k more than the leaf that pcp on the golf would be reasonable even if it has better resale value.

Actually come to think of it, the BMW. I 3 costs about 33 k and has a 0-62 of 7.5 seconds and has the option to drive itself up to 40 mph.

Btw don't know what the irish price of the Golf is yet.

Maybe not suited to someone who spends hours commuting, but not utterly useless.

The limitations are to restrictive though. What if you want to go somewhere without a charge point? What if you want to do 100 miles, not 90? What if you're battery is empty, your child is sick at 8 in the evening and you need to rush to the doctor? With a regular ICE car there are no limitations, fuel up and go anywhere, anytime.

Then there's the issue of why the EU wants us driving electric cars and more the more potent question, where the electricity is coming from.

If every ICE car was replaced with electric cars in the morning, we'd likely have even more pollution emitted, especially given the way we generate electricity in this country. Infact, if you were in Poland, you're actually doing considerably more damage to the environment because they generate 100% of their electricity from coal.

Then there's the green energy savings myth. The level of subsidy into green energy in this country is far too disproportionate to the amount of return we're getting. If electric vehicles take off, we won't be saving a penny. Infact it'll be costing everybody fortunes more through taxation, taxation needed to fund green energy which is completely unviable in any of it's current forms. Gotta meet those EU targets though.

When electricity is generated via actual emmison reducing methods and those methods are financially viable, then we should consider electric vehicles. For now though we'll continue to fund unviable green methods and simultaneously burn more oil, gas and turf to make up the gap. (unless you count that tabboo in Ireland, British nuclear coming under the Irish sea)

Dublin to cork would add about 30 mins, but not exactly useless, longer trips might be a pain alright but I'm sure most people can get a loan of a nice for a day

You see that's my point, they are a pain in the arse. Take an ordinary persons ordinary day and roll in that weekend trip to Cork.

8 am, full charge and you leave your house in Wicklow town lets say ( just for example)

You drive to work in Dublin, drive home early to pick up the missus and kids, then head for Cork circa 4pm that evening. That's not just a pain, that's unviable for any rational human with two screaming kids. That's not adding one 30 minute stop to get to Macroom.That's a weekend destroying litany of charges. One new Skoda Octavia diesel would cost less and do it all on one tank of fuel. Why would I give that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

You see that's my point, they are a pain in the arse. Take an ordinary persons ordinary day and roll in that weekend trip to Cork.

8 am, full charge and you leave your house in Wicklow town lets say ( just for example)

You drive to work in Dublin, drive home early to pick up the missus and kids, then head for Cork circa 4pm that evening. That's not just a pain, that's unviable for any rational human with two screaming kids. That's not adding one 30 minute stop to get to Macroom.That's a weekend destroying litany of charges. One new Skoda Octavia diesel would cost less and do it all on one tank of fuel. Why would I give that up?

Because if you drove 18,000 miles (EDIT: 18000 is only 50 miles a day) in a year charging it nightly it'd cost you less than €470 in electricity. Same mileage in a 50mpg diesel would cost you €2,300 in diesel. (thanks here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88894950&postcount=42). That's the reality that people obsessed with mpg and tax in a diesel are completely ignoring in Ireland at the moment..

Drive more or keep it for 2 years and you'd be saving way more.

The debate on how power is generated is for another forum really, but surely the economy of scale with an oil fired power station charging 1000 cars at their 'house' is more efficient than the fuel being further refined, divided and transported to each petrol station then being further divided into the fuel tank of each respective car. And thats for an oil fired station. 100% free unlimited wind is obviously much more efficient again.

Because if you drove 18,000 miles (EDIT: 18000 is only 50 miles a day) in a year charging it nightly it'd cost you less than €470 in electricity. Same mileage in a 50mpg diesel would cost you €2,300 in diesel. (thanks here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88894950&postcount=42)

But I'm not saving. For every new green energy incentive, my taxes are just going skyward to subsidize green energy. 28 cent alone has been dropped on to a liter of petrol/diesel since this government came to power. That's all in the name of green credentials. But it's nuts. It's just paying for unaffordable fuel somewhere else.

As for the side step of the how electricity is generated, I find that ridiculous. That's central to the entire point. Green energy is only green when it's generated carbon free. Carbon free energy is currently unaffordable.

The ICE car won't last forver but the electric alternative is not ready, not realworld useable and nowhere near as green as it's made out to be.

When it's better it will naturally replace the inferior concept. For now it's nothing more than an agenda for a few and nod to Kyoto emission regs, otherwise known as vastly profitable for some key people worldwide, all at the ordinary tax payers expense yet again.

Jim, a skoda wouldn't cost less, sure if the leaf doesn't suit you or anyone I'm not telling you to buy one.

I never said electrics in their current form are suitable for everyone.

For me a high mileage driver that does 20-25 k miles a year, the leaf is suitable. If for the trip it would be too much hassle 2-3 times a year maybe less than I'd simply hop in the Prius.

Remember it's a limitation of cost not technology why we don't have a 200 mile range affordable ev.

• Advertisement

But I'm not saving. For every new green energy incentive, my taxes are just going skyward to subsidize green energy. 28 cent alone has been dropped on to a liter of petrol/diesel since this government came to power. That's all in the name of green credentials. But it's nuts. It's just paying for unaffordable fuel somewhere else.

As for the side step of the how electricity is generated, I find that ridiculous. That's central to the entire point. Green energy is only green when it's generated carbon free. Carbon free energy is currently unaffordable.

The ICE car won't last forver but the electric alternative is not ready, not realworld useable and nowhere near as green as it's made out to be.

When it's better it will naturally replace the inferior concept. For now it's nothing more than an agenda for a few and nod to Kyoto emission regs, otherwise known as vastly profitable for some key people worldwide, all at the ordinary tax payers expense yet again.

No one saves money buying a new car, but for the same purchase price electrics are cheaper than anything to run available.

And another thing, while electrics may have fuel from mostly fossil fuel stations they charge at night when power stations have to be kept burning fuel to be ready to meet demand which is very wasteful.

Electrics remove most of the harmful emissions from towns and cities, while elimination of diesel and converting to gas would probably make the most sense for now that doesn't mean electrics are bad for the environment. More electricity is been generated from renewables but I would like to see nuclear added to the mix tho ugh Ireland maybe too small for such a power station, liquid fluoride thorium reactors could be a solution in the future! another topic.

As far as tax goes, they don't have to crucify ev owners because more and more new taxes are coming on line such as property and water, so the books will balance out in the end.

For me I think electric drive is far superior, I loved the drive I the leaf and I'm a technology nut.

We are in the early days of electrics, but in 2017 leaf II and the affordable tesla that promise 200 mile rage will be here. So that's not too far away.

Advertisement