Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Anyone actually know what the story was with Curran leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,518 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Craig Curran gone from the club as of this morning.

Big loss but he forced the club into corner.

Into a corner?
    Do tell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Fame and Demise

Whatever's going on seems to be staying between him and the club. It'd be nice if they informed us just for our own peace of mind, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. He's gone and we'll just have to get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

Because there's zero point in getting rid of Taylor if he ends up being replaced by you and me for arguments sake. There's only sense in even considering making the change if there's a marked improvement in terms of what you bring in. There's not an abundance of experienced managers out there that you could reasonably assume would be a safe bet AND would be interested in the Limerick job with the reduced budget. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that consideration should be given to who might come in before showing the door to the current guy.

Consideration should be given by the people that would actually be making the decision yes. Some fan naming managers on a forum means absolutely nothing at all and is fairly pointless considering they may not even have a full knowledge of managers available in this country let alone in other countries that may be available.

No manager is ever a safe bet we could all unanimously agree on one man with a great reputation and he could fail miserably or the club could give it to Eddie Hickey or Derek McCarthy and they could do a fantastic job. Why does it have to be an experienced manager?

People can base wanting the current manager sacked on things like his tactics and style of play they name who should take over based on absolutely nothing half the time.

I don't want him sacked btw just never got this "who should take over then" from people as if someone would know every manager available.

• Advertisement

On the Curran thing I know the story but don't think it would be fair to the club or Craig to say what happened. Just to say it was nothing malicious or nasty from Craig just a stupid mistake that unfortunately left the club with little choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    On the Curran thing I know the story but don't think it would be fair to the club or Craig to say what happened. Just to say it was nothing malicious or nasty from Craig just a stupid mistake that unfortunately left the club with little choice.

Can you share via PM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Tough one tonight vs Dundalk.

For anyone looking to get the special offer of buy tickets for two matches get one free they need to be bought in the club shop and not the ground.

The promotion is to cover Dundalk (Tonight), Cork (Tuesday), St.Pats (Next Friday)

Shop is closed at 5 today just to let people know.

On the match itself I think our chances of getting anything have nosedived with Oji being suspended. Would be more than happy with 3 points this week so a draw tonight would be a great start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

People can base wanting the current manager sacked on things like his tactics and style of play they name who should take over based on absolutely nothing half the time.

It's still mindless to want Taylor (or anybody) sacked without having an opinion on what would improve the situation.

In other news I feel that we played fairly well overall last night. It was more encouraging than we've seen in a while anyway.

I feel Craig was slightly harshly treated too. As you said, it was a stupid mistake, I just feel that showing him the door rather than other methods of dealing with things have as much to do with balancing the books as maintaining standards.

It's still mindless to want Taylor (or anybody) sacked without having an opinion on what would improve the situation.

In other news I feel that we played fairly well overall last night. It was more encouraging than we've seen in a while anyway.

I feel Craig was slightly harshly treated too. As you said, it was a stupid mistake, I just feel that showing him the door rather than other methods of dealing with things have as much to do with balancing the books as maintaining standards.

You are spot on imo. We have had one or two players that have done worse and not been shown the door tbh.

You are spot on imo. We have had one or two players that have done worse and not been shown the door tbh.

What did he do?..
    Pm if not posting?

Interview with Craig Curran on Live 95 at 5.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Heading along to the Munster derby tonight! Really hope there's an improvement on the crowd - even if that means Cork bringing a large enough travelling support to push the attendance past the 1,000 mark - but as it's a Tuesday night game I don't hold out much hope.

I've a sneaking suspicion we'll take something from the game, though. First 45 mins against Dundalk the other night was encouraging.

Looking forward to it myself. Weather isn't great so could hit numbers as well. The pitch looked very well on Friday and it will be wet tonight meaning the ball will move extra quick. It's one of those nights where a slip in the defence could be the difference. I was at our game vs them below in turners cross in the EA Sports cup and they wiped the floor with us. We look a lot sharper now though and have a stronger team available than that night.

Cork 2 up, 2 goals in.quick.succession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

QUick one. Won't be in town for a week or so, anyone know if they have the long sleeve home shirt in the club shop?

seachto7 wrote: »
    QUick one. Won't be in town for a week or so, anyone know if they have the long sleeve home shirt in the club shop?

They have no shirt in there or anything else really shop is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

First half - let's just say we were really poor. We gifted Cork both goals, especially the second one where duggan's suicidal back pass was seized upon by Mark O Sullivan who teed up Buckley to score. Our only chance of note was from Rory Gaffney who opted to try to put the ball around the stranded McNulty miles from his goal, rather than lob him. His effort drifted just wide of the post.

Majorly improved performance from Super Blues in second half. Defence was far more solid and we kept the ball better. Gaffney deserved his goal, played well throughout. Pinpoint delivery from Shane Tracy but he did nothing else of note all night. Prince & Duggan were solid throughout. Galbraith also made a difference when he came on. Lehane missed a sitter for City when one on one with Barry Ryan, ballooned his shot into the ballynanty end terrace. McManus up front did little in the game but his free-kick did force an excellent diving save from McNulty near the end. Ross Mann had a last gasp chance for us but his shot was blocked by Dan Murray. We really need a couple of strikers in July! We are not a bad side but lacking in the final third. Curran's departure is a big loss, whatever the reasons for it. We will stay up though, we are more than good enough to finish above Bohs & Athlone

• Advertisement

Agree with pretty much everything you say.

We have actually been playing decent the last few games and barr a few very silly mistakes would easily have got points.

We were never likely to pick points up against the top 3 teams in the league all within 7 days. It's the teams around us we need to target.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Disastrous mistakes cost us last night, Cork didn't try to play after going 2-0 up and we did fine, but struggled to create clear-cut chances. The goal was brilliantly worked and very well-taken.

Prince was good, Gaffney was good, Folan was very solid, Kelly was tough in the tackle.

Nzuzi was pretty poor from the bench, Duggan was not good and Oji got badly caught out for the 1st goal. It might have been a foul but he shouldn't be getting outmuscled like that.

It's definitely one where we should have had got a point at the very least. We can't afford to go to sleep, and only start playing in the 2nd half. I think that setup is better, but Tracy should be at left-back.

Absolutely super win tonight!

We set up for a draw, and came away with 3 points... first half, we weren't really great, but we were hard to break down. As the game opened up a bit, they dominated, but we were the ones who actually got the crucial first goal. If we had fallen behind (and we easily could have), it would have been very hard to peg back. As it was, we scored again, and could easily have scored another 1 or 2 on the break... really should have tbh.

Oji and Folan were colossal at the back, Folan was immense in particular. Midfield shielded well enough, I suppose. Gaffney held the ball up brilliantly. McGrath was excellent from the bench, Galbraith was very good when things opened up and he did work hard. And it's just great having the best keeper in the league, Ryan was class as usual.

And it's not as if Pats were bad, in fact I thought they were very good. They have a great skill level, they play good football, the little flicks and movement threatened to tear us apart but they couldn't finish their chances... I'd say they're the best team to have played in Thomond Park this year, and Forrester is the best player in the league. But we came away with the 3 points- and that is great.

Galbraith did brilliantly for the first, lovely flick, good strength and did well to finish. Hughes got the 2nd... eventually, took an age to put it in the net, but it was a classic counter-attack. And there were a couple of other chances... there was a 3-on-1 we somehow fcuked up, and Galbraith should have played Hughes in another time too. Hughes could have had a hat-trick if Galbraith had played those 2 passes.

Great win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I see on Facebook and on the Limerick FC website posts about Ballynanty Rovers. Is there some link between the two clubs?

banjobongo wrote: »
    I see on Facebook and on the Limerick FC website posts about Ballynanty Rovers. Is there some link between the two clubs?

As in what kind of posts? If it's the ones wishing them luck then it's just that, no direct link between Limerick FC and Balla. Think Limerick and Carew park have some kind of link up when it comes to the underage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vapesireland

Come on the boys

We are currently 4-1 up away to Drogheda... 50 minutes gone.

The two Scottish lads, Galbraith and McManus put us 2 up, Fabio pulled one back for Drogheda. Duggan scored straight after, apparently it was a great goal and Tracy has just scored direct from a corner.

Not too bad. We go 6th if Bray don''t go ahead against UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Following it on RTE 'live' teletext. Still have the score at 2-0 at nearly 11pm.
    Pathetic really.:rolleyes:
    Where are you getting your reports Fireball, or did you travel up.??
    Good result anyway, things look much better now.
    Is it coincidence that results are better since Curran left/pushed out.?

P.S. are RTE showing any Friday night games live anymore.?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Washman3, limerickfc.ie have live updates, as do extratime.ie, even try livescore.com

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    Following it on RTE 'live' teletext. Still have the score at 2-0 at nearly 11pm.
    Pathetic really.:rolleyes:
    Where are you getting your reports Fireball, or did you travel up.??
    Good result anyway, things look much better now.
    Is it coincidence that results are better since Curran left/pushed out.?

P.S. are RTE showing any Friday night games live anymore.?

Didn't make it up tonight, I was following Limerick FC updates on twitter, but as Soulcrew said, extratime do decent updates too on their website.

Excellent result for sure. I would say that it probably is a coincidence that they've improved since he left, thought there were times when we look like we missed him badly against Pats. His hold-up play was excellent and gave great support to Gaffney.

Without having seen the game tonight, I will say that we always look better with 2 up front, and playing McManus and Gaffney up front... along with Galbraith and Prince as two creative points behind them, was always likely to be stronger. Even if one of Tam/Gaffney moves wide, they are a physical presence that Rainsford/McGrath/Tracy really aren't. An ability to hold up the ball and bring others into play cannot be underrated...... and when there's 2 of them doing it, that means the other can get into the box and stretch the defence even more.

Advertisement