Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Ah yes the Shane Clarke/junior players debate, Shane was at mid season trials last year and didn't sign, one thing people seem to forget is that Shane played with Limerick in the 1st Div and made a limited impact, all of a sudden now he's Premier LOI standard?

I remember playing with him for a season at Wembley when we won the Under 17s national cup. Himself and Johns Tierney and Grant were unstoppable against teams from all over the country. He hit 58 goals in the Limerick junior league last season too, which is sick for a 22 game league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    I was told by Clarke that it was from the clubs end that it didn't happen. He was telling me for weeks he was signing and I seen him working with Derek McCarthy in the gym for ages he actually expected to be signed and int he squad for the Bohs FAI cup game then told me a week or two later that Taylor had changed his mind.

With Taylor out of the picture so it could be back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 E.Scifo

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Ah yes the Shane Clarke/junior players debate, Shane was at mid season trials last year and didn't sign, one thing people seem to forget is that Shane played with Limerick in the 1st Div and made a limited impact, all of a sudden now he's Premier LOI standard?

Not forgetting, I just think he has improved massively over the last 2 years and his strike rate is superb. He has scored more goals in 2 years than anyone I can remember and I'm pushing on.... Breen is good enough to go into the team, no doubt. It's also not a case of lets just get a decent junior selection. If we have money available then we need experienced LOI players to bolster the squad. If not, then we should be trying to take the best 2 to 3 players in Junior football and see can they become a useful addition. Spending money to bring in someone like Williams, Curren etc, fantastic. Spending money to bring in Tam......

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

I accept Shane is a fine player, Ill be 100% honest and say id like him to give it another shot, however I have my doubts regarding the impact he would have. I know for sure Boro wont be keen to see him leave for obvious reasons. :) Im also well aware of plenty of junior clubs who want to see the back of him.

Junior teams are being watched for potential players. Clarke, Mullins and Tierney were 3 on top of Taylors list, im sure Tommy Barrett would rate these lads aswell but their clubs are not always keen for them to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭banjobongo

DO we have an acting manager at the moment, and if so, who is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

banjobongo wrote: »
    DO we have an acting manager at the moment, and if so, who is he?

Tommy Barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Tommy Barrett.

ok thanks.
    I think its intersting that there seems to be very little coverage of this on the news, bearly a mention on the local press and Ive heard nothing on the national news.....

ok thanks.
    I think its intersting that there seems to be very little coverage of this on the news, bearly a mention on the local press and Ive heard nothing on the national news.....

About Taylor leaving?

ok thanks.

95fm have mentioned it in the sports news a few times and also talked about it on the sports section of one of the shows. Was in the limerick Leader during the week and there is write up in the sports pullout this weekend. The sun also had a pull out the day after he got sacked with Taylor on the front and a write up about Fenlon and Russell as favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

ok thanks.

You need to get yourself onto the clubs very active social media sites. Local press covered it alright but theres only one sports story (for them) in town this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What's wrong with Roddy Collins?
    A long track record of building competitive
    teams with limited resources.
    Just the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

chicorytip wrote: »
    Just the ticket.

Not a serious question surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

chicorytip wrote: »
    Just the ticket.

Well Roddy, didn't know you were a boards user

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Was up in Athlone last night... it was bad. Football is a results-based business and that was an awful, awful result.

We had chances, but didn't take any of them but some of our defensive play was woeful. Williams put in one of the most inept defensive performances I've ever seen, Turner was shambolic in a defensive sense, didn't track back at all and I'd put all 3 goals at their feet.

Whitehead didn't look very comfortable, Nzuzi keeps giving the ball away, Cusack is no Barry Ryan, and we are physically weaker than pretty much every side in the league. Missed Oji badly, not to mention Ryan; they bring some organisation & solidity.

New manager to be announced at 6pm tonight. It's Martin Russell, former UCD manager and current St.Pats assistant manager. Has a very good reputation as a coach up in Dublin. Never managed with a budget before so hard to know how he will do. Likes his teams to play good football but UCD had a horrible defence in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Underwhelming enough. A stench of change for the sake of change about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Still believe Taylor was hard done by but with the new man in place it's up to the fans to give him support. Negativity will get us nowhere. All the best, Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Enjoyed the first half today. Was impressed with o Connor would like to see him kept definitely. Good speed and gave the right back for qpr a lot to worry about.

Wasn't too impressed with Clarke today at all, maybe he was tired after playing a few games in a few days I'm not sure. Didn't get much of the ball at all although the second half was dull compared to the first not much of anything.

In saying that sheedy nearly scored the best limerick goal I ever seen. Ball worked all over the field and never once in the air, must have had 20 passes in the buildup.

Looking forward to more of what Russell has to offer, loved the 4-2-3-1 we played after so much 4-3-3 it was a welcome change

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Iang87 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the first half today. Was impressed with o Connor would like to see him kept definitely. Good speed and gave the right back for qpr a lot to worry about.

Wasn't too impressed with Clarke today at all, maybe he was tired after playing a few games in a few days I'm not sure. Didn't get much of the ball at all although the second half was dull compared to the first not much of anything.

In saying that sheedy nearly scored the best limerick goal I ever seen. Ball worked all over the field and never once in the air, must have had 20 passes in the buildup.

Looking forward to more of what Russell has to offer, loved the 4-2-3-1 we played after so much 4-3-3 it was a welcome change

I'm working with Shane Clarke in Newcastlewest & can confirm his hours are 5:00am-2:30pm. Considering he's driving from the City out to Newcastlewest I presume he is up out of bed at 3:30-3:45am. With the rush getting out of a days work back home, showered & ready for a 5:00pm game, it's no wonder he would look a bit tired if that's indeed what he looked like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

gstack166 wrote: »
    I'm working with Shane Clarke in Newcastlewest & can confirm his hours are 5:00am-2:30pm. Considering he's driving from the City out to Newcastlewest I presume he is up out of bed at 3:30-3:45am. With the rush getting out of a days work back home, showered & ready for a 5:00pm game, it's no wonder he would look a bit tired if that's indeed what he looked like.

Well in that case.... Maybe I won't be using that match as an indication of his play..

• Advertisement

Impressive stuff on his part then to show that will to want to play. Lots of lads wouldn't bother doing one or the other

So you weren't impressed with him but he didnt get much of the ball. What exactly were you expecting of him then?
    :confused::confused:

So you weren't impressed with him but he didnt get much of the ball. What exactly were you expecting of him then?
    :confused::confused:

He didnt make runs for the ball, he didnt seem to be looking for it by dropping back and he looked sluggish around the field. Theres more to the game than kicking the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Slow off the mark here, but what was the score from yesterday's match?

2-1 Limerick. They went one up after a few minutes, stupid penalty given away by williams. Gaffney scored after an awful error by them and leahy i believe (internet said prince) scored after a scrappy corner

He didnt make runs for the ball, he didnt seem to be looking for it by dropping back and he looked sluggish around the field. Theres more to the game than kicking the ball

That's not Clarkes game at all though. He is an in around the box type centre forward. One we've been lacking. Gaffney moves around a lot up top but usually that means he isn't in the box to score.

I'd never seen him play til yesterday though. Can we afford to have someone like that up front though who wont be working too hard

I'd never seen him play til yesterday though. Can we afford to have someone like that up front though who wont be working too hard

Its not that he won't work that hard its just that he won't be running all over the place like Gaffney. We need someone that will stay up front to be honest. Too many times we are left with no one in the box. It's probably his last chance at playing at a higher level so I would think he will give it his all. 105 goals in two seasons in Limerick Premier shows he knows where the net is anyway. Bringing that forward into LOI will be his challenge. Can't see why he wouldn't be better than a lot of the lads knocking around with premier teams that are very average.

Ya it'd be excellent if it works out. I assume we'll be hearing very soon about the trialists and did they get contracts. I'd like to see the both kept we haven't the biggest squad and options are always good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

2-1 Limerick. They went one up after a few minutes, stupid penalty given away by williams. Gaffney scored after an awful error by them and leahy i believe (internet said prince) scored after a scrappy corner

Prince struck the two shots that were saved. I thought it was Turner who scored, but then I was watching from a much greater distance than I'm used to (running track and long jump in the way), and I'm not that familiar with either Turner or Leahy yet.
    Jofspring wrote: »
    That's not Clarkes game at all though. He is an in around the box type centre forward. One we've been lacking. Gaffney moves around a lot up top but usually that means he isn't in the box to score.

I was happy with his defending on set-pieces. He worked pretty hard for those.
    QPR's defensive play was much better in the second half, which meant Clarke had less opportunities than those playing in the first half.

All in all, it was a good game. It was great for the club too, but obviously it would have been better if they could have held it somewhere where they could charge at the gate.
    The pitch was in excellent condition.

Advertisement