Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Very big loss, he has something that no one else in our midfield has, was in good form. Will need to be replaced, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

We have signed Ian Turner from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

TheBeast17 wrote: »

On loan till the end of the season apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Doesn't seem to fit in with JCs plans. Some might say not given a fair crack of the whip others will say too many chances.

Can blow hot and cold. When he is good he can be very good, other days can just give the ball away too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Jofspring wrote: »
    On loan till the end of the season apparently.

His contract with city runs out then also.

• Advertisement

Its a huge drop from the man he is replacing tbh not too excited by him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I thought Turner did ok the other night in the first half. Roamed around the pitch the defenders never quite knew where he was going and he took on his man and beat him a few times. Lacking with the end product but that has to be expected he's barely played this season. Second half I dont know if he ran out of legs or was told to stay in the one spot but he didnt do much. That can be said throughout the entire team.

As for Galbraith leaving to be honest I never took to him and though he could be very wasteful and we only ever caught glimpses of what he was capable of. I found he regularly ran into danger and didnt produce enough.

I noticed there were a few voices from the stand calling for taylors head, very few mind you, do people realise the goal is to finish 10th or higher. Just stay up nothing more and we look like doing that on a significantly smaller budget than we did last year I think that in itself is spectacular. Did people expect us to start charging on into the top half and be challenging for Europe or a title challenge. If anyone listened to Pat O Sullivan at the end of last season after the shels game at home they'd know that the plan was just to stay. There's no point in getting the place in Bruff ready and there's no point in getting the markets field ready if we will be welcoming wexford youths and longford town. We need to stay up, we need to be seen as a premier team. It'd be wonderful to move into the markets field tomorrow and draw 2500 people a week and I'm hopeful someday that will happen but while we're getting to that level stop talking like we're this massive club entitled to league challenges or even premier football. Support the team now and dont lose sight that the goal is to stay up and we're right on track to do that

Iang87 wrote: »
    I thought Turner did ok the other night in the first half. Roamed around the pitch the defenders never quite knew where he was going and he took on his man and beat him a few times. Lacking with the end product but that has to be expected he's barely played this season. Second half I dont know if he ran out of legs or was told to stay in the one spot but he didnt do much. That can be said throughout the entire team.

As for Galbraith leaving to be honest I never took to him and though he could be very wasteful and we only ever caught glimpses of what he was capable of. I found he regularly ran into danger and didnt produce enough.

I noticed there were a few voices from the stand calling for taylors head, very few mind you, do people realise the goal is to finish 10th or higher. Just stay up nothing more and we look like doing that on a significantly smaller budget than we did last year I think that in itself is spectacular. Did people expect us to start charging on into the top half and be challenging for Europe or a title challenge. If anyone listened to Pat O Sullivan at the end of last season after the shels game at home they'd know that the plan was just to stay. There's no point in getting the place in Bruff ready and there's no point in getting the markets field ready if we will be welcoming wexford youths and longford town. We need to stay up, we need to be seen as a premier team. It'd be wonderful to move into the markets field tomorrow and draw 2500 people a week and I'm hopeful someday that will happen but while we're getting to that level stop talking like we're this massive club entitled to league challenges or even premier football. Support the team now and dont lose sight that the goal is to stay up and we're right on track to do that

Says who though? And where did you get the significantly lower?

To suggest anyone expects a league challenge or European challenge is complete and utter nonsense. We are nor a massive club but with the money spent we should most definitely be comfortable in the premier. People want a bit of effort a bit of drive and maybe some quality at times from the team and that is perfectly reasonable so why make it out like people are expecting way too much?

Says who though? And where did you get the significantly lower?

To suggest anyone expects a league challenge or European challenge is complete and utter nonsense. We are nor a massive club but with the money spent we should most definitely be comfortable in the premier. People want a bit of effort a bit of drive and maybe some quality at times from the team and that is perfectly reasonable so why make it out like people are expecting way too much?

Listening to Pat O'Sullivan at the end of last season saying eveything is pointless regarding the markets field and all that if we're not playing premier so yes the goal is 10th whether you like it or not.

The significant budget differences would be Curran, Foley, Gamble, Bradley and now Galbraith all gone and not replaced and they would have been on relatively decent wages. Particulary Bradley and Gamble if rumours are to be believed.

The not being relpaced aspect says to me that the money isnt there rather than not finding suitable players

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Make perfect sense to me. Need to walk before you can run. Its easy to support a team who is winning all round them, its when they need the support when it actually counts.

• Advertisement

Listening to Pat O'Sullivan at the end of last season saying eveything is pointless regarding the markets field and all that if we're not playing premier so yes the goal is 10th whether you like it or not.

The significant budget differences would be Curran, Foley, Gamble, Bradley and now Galbraith all gone and not replaced and they would have been on relatively decent wages. Particulary Bradley and Gamble if rumours are to be believed.

The not being relpaced aspect says to me that the money isnt there rather than not finding suitable players

Well board members, players and manager have all said differently as lately as yesterday. Is just staying up good enough yes I suppose it is kind of is it the goal no not a chance the goal was mid table that is what it has been from the start of the season to be more specific the aim at the start of the season was to at least finish 7th again and there is a difference between that and just wanting to stay up whether you like it or not.

Have you actually seen one person at all say we should be challenging for the league or europe?

Curran and Galbraith have only left recently so were in the budget most of the season so far and while people have left others have gotten more money than they were on last year too. One of Gamble or Bradley were replaced with Duggan and if that is Dom Foley you are talking about he wasn't on big money at all. We have a bigger budget than UCD,Bray,Drogheda,Bohs, Athlone. Budget may have gone down a little ( from what im told it hasnt at all) but it definitely hasn't by much.

Hasnt Taylor commented that the budget has gone down this season compared to last season. A few players left and werent replaced we see a lot more under 19s on the bench this season than we did last season that tells me players cant/wont be replaced.

You mentioned a few clubs there too are any of them playing in a stadium that is costing them a fortune to open each week

Taylor gone??????????????

What the fcuk?

http://www.limerickfc.ie/blues-and-taylor-part-ways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Taylor gone??????????????

What the fcuk?

http://www.limerickfc.ie/blues-and-taylor-part-ways

Job from elsewhere?
    Sligo still looking?..

Big loss..

Massive shock..

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Job from elsewhere?
    Sligo still looking?..

Big loss..

Massive shock..

Rumours I heard was Drogheda, but I have no idea.

Definitely didn't see it coming, who are we going to get to replace him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

They'll pander to the fans and give it to mccarthy, which will be funny considering most of the fans whole be so happy for him to get the job because of his history with the club will have never even seen him...

Will certainly be interesting couple of weeks

I'd be shocked if they gave it to McCarthy. More likely to see Barrett given it than MCarthy. I wouldn't even say derek has the required badges to manage in the premier.

Fenlon going to be mentioned again in the press I'd imagine. You then have the usual suspects like Mick Cooke and Roddy Collins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I'd be shocked if they gave it to McCarthy. More likely to see Barrett given it than MCarthy. I wouldn't even say derek has the required badges to manage in the premier.

Fenlon going to be mentioned again in the press I'd imagine. You then have the usual suspects like Mick Cooke and Roddy Collins.

Roddy can fcuk right off

Christ anyone but roddy. I can't quite see the reasoning behind this at the current time unless Taylor got a better offer.

It's all very strange and out of the blue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Sounds more like the leaving was from his end. Wonder was it him having to constantly having to try and build a team? Our squad has been very unsettled since promotion.

• Advertisement

Ah ya not a hope Roddy will get it but he'll throw his name in the hat.

While I would have given till the end of the season something just doesn't seem right. The crowds have dropped from an average of 1,200 last season to an average of 500 and even the other night there was only around 250 at the game. The board are getting desperate I'd imagine.

Maybe a fresh manager in ASAP and some new signings might help. It will be a kick up the arse for some players not pulling there weight.

Some of the decision making up high with regards the team need to be answered too.

He was sacked and Fenlon is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

They'll pander to the fans and give it to mccarthy, which will be funny considering most of the fans whole be so happy for him to get the job because of his history with the club will have never even seen him...

Will certainly be interesting couple of weeks

One of the most bizarre things Iv read in the internet this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

He was forced out to my mind. The whispers coming out of the club the last week or so about the budget definitely undermined the guy. We haven't played well this year but still just a point off sixth as things stand. He was hardly overachieving but not having a disaster either. He did get plenty wrong though but as somebody said above the end of the year would have seemed to make more sense to part ways.

Two managers in two odd years now gone without really underachieving, a whiff of Doug Ellis starting to attach itself to us. Nice to see the likes of Collins (after his debacle with Derry) and Cooke (after his record breaking horror show with Athlone) amongst the front runners... If Fenlon isn't an option it's hard to see how we're going to trade up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Taylor hard done by IMO. Did an excellent job in getting us to 7th last season and, while this year has been a struggle, I have no doubt that he would have kept us well clear of the danger zone by the season's finish. After all, it's not that long since we won three in a row and gave the champs a right decking at TP. Hope ST goes on to do well with whatever his next venture is.

And if Roddy Collins gets the job, I would flatly refuse to attend any games under his tenure. Would like to see Fenlon take over

• Registered Users Posts: 32 E.Scifo

Nice bloke and hope he goes on to do well. I think he had a great 1st season, brought in the experienced players we needed and overall we were very comfortable.

Don't know wtf happened pre season. How can you lose Bradley, O Leary and Gamble (overall I though our midfield did ok last year) and replace them with just Duggan? Hughes has done well and really gives it everything, Ali is young and learning but overall we are never going to be as competitive as last year having lost that experience.

The loss of Curren was massive.

I'd like to see Baraclough, League, Fai cup and Setanta in just over 2 years.

If money is an issue why have we not get the best local talent at least on the books. Paul Breen (St Michaels) would be a decent addition as would Shane Clarke. I presume the budget could stretch to ensure they came on board

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Ah yes the Shane Clarke/junior players debate, Shane was at mid season trials last year and didn't sign, one thing people seem to forget is that Shane played with Limerick in the 1st Div and made a limited impact, all of a sudden now he's Premier LOI standard?

Could be rubbish but I heard Clarke turned the club down a few weeks ago.

Could be rubbish but I heard Clarke turned the club down a few weeks ago.

I was told by Clarke that it was from the clubs end that it didn't happen. He was telling me for weeks he was signing and I seen him working with Derek McCarthy in the gym for ages he actually expected to be signed and int he squad for the Bohs FAI cup game then told me a week or two later that Taylor had changed his mind.

• Advertisement

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Ah yes the Shane Clarke/junior players debate, Shane was at mid season trials last year and didn't sign, one thing people seem to forget is that Shane played with Limerick in the 1st Div and made a limited impact, all of a sudden now he's Premier LOI standard?

He is a better player than Rainsford, Sheedy, Coughlan and Tam anyway.

Advertisement