Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

The brand of football he plays is terrible to watch, he's only a bluffer. The crowds in Thomand are getting smaller every match. I'm not the only one who does'nt like Taylor's style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Our Brian wrote: »
    The brand of football he plays is terrible to watch, he's only a bluffer. The crowds in Thomand are getting smaller every match. I'm not the only one who does'nt like Taylor's style of play.

We're Limerick.. We're not Barcelona. We're never going to play a pretty brand of football.. Admittedly the hoof ball gets damn frustrating, but we're getting a few results and as I said above, could be upper midtable by end of the month..

The crowds in ThomOnd are small because promotion of the games themselves is nothing short of pathetic, most people genuinely don't know they're even on, and unless you thrawl through the limerick post you'd have no.idea.

It's the club as a whole's problem, nothing to do with Taylor and personally at least, us remaining in the premier league and not facing relegation, is an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

Crowds will get bigger if we get up the table. I agree the style is horrible and I think it is putting people off but unless we are in real danger of being relegated it would be madness to get rid of Taylor. Thats not to say that this one performance and result makes everything ok though from what people are telling me we played well if that is so then it is probably the first or at most second time we have done that all season we need to build on it now hopefully starting with a win in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I was up tallaght the other night. We played well for long spells, some lovely stuff too and created one or two opening.

I'm not sure what the first penalty was for but the second penalty was a stone waller despite the protestations of our, ahem, "fans". Rovers were very poor though and only looked likely from the occasional set piece.

I know people reckon taylor plays awful stuff but the pitch in thomond park doesnt really allow a decent brand of football to be played. At times on friday we got it down and moved it very well.

As for the fella who reckons we get rid of taylor what exactly would you have him do. The goal is to remain in the division and get out of thomond park and move to the markets field then start building from there. We wont be winning leagues in the next 3 or 4 years or challenging so the point is to stay in the league. Its a blessing that Athlone are in the league because realistically it means worst case scenario we'll face a two legged playoff and i'd fancy us over most of the first division. As for the dwindling crowds we all know Limerick people love nothing more than a nice bandwagon hop so dont worry if we get a decent home ground the quality of the pitch will improve and i'm sure results will improve in the process, then they will come

Iang87 wrote: »
    I was up tallaght the other night. We played well for long spells, some lovely stuff too and created one or two opening.

I'm not sure what the first penalty was for but the second penalty was a stone waller despite the protestations of our, ahem, "fans". Rovers were very poor though and only looked likely from the occasional set piece.

I know people reckon taylor plays awful stuff but the pitch in thomond park doesnt really allow a decent brand of football to be played. At times on friday we got it down and moved it very well.

As for the fella who reckons we get rid of taylor what exactly would you have him do. The goal is to remain in the division and get out of thomond park and move to the markets field then start building from there. We wont be winning leagues in the next 3 or 4 years or challenging so the point is to stay in the league. Its a blessing that Athlone are in the league because realistically it means worst case scenario we'll face a two legged playoff and i'd fancy us over most of the first division. As for the dwindling crowds we all know Limerick people love nothing more than a nice bandwagon hop so dont worry if we get a decent home ground the quality of the pitch will improve and i'm sure results will improve in the process, then they will come

Ya cos other teams haven't played good football on the exact same pitch at all sher :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    Ya cos other teams haven't played good football on the exact same pitch at all sher :rolleyes:.

I havent see much good football from anyone there yet this season. Enlighten me please who you saw that played good stuff.

Sligo - Not great for the majority of the game scored in the 3rd minute and didnt do much else
    Drogheda - A game that will be remembered for floodlight failure
    Bray - Was there even a shot or a ball passed in the final third
    Athlone - The only game I recall that had any bit of quality football played and there wasnt much of it

Iang87 wrote: »
    I havent see much good football from anyone there yet this season. Enlighten me please who you saw that played good stuff.

Sligo - Not great for the majority of the game scored in the 3rd minute and didnt do much else
    Drogheda - A game that will be remembered for floodlight failure
    Bray - Was there even a shot or a ball passed in the final third
    Athlone - The only game I recall that had any bit of quality football played and there wasnt much of it

Sligo had no problem keeping the ball on the deck and having some lovely little moves no hoofing straight from back to front from them.

Drogheda a lot of people actually commented on how they played a bit that night rather then constant hoofing that they were known for recently.

Athlones best player was their right winger so that would suggest they were not hoofing it all that much either.

Quality of the game has absolutely nothing to do with it but anyone we have played has gotten the ball down and passed it better than we have they may not have been Barcelona but they were better than us. The pitch is a poor excuse for an awful brand of football we are set up as an away team at home as well as away. When we have played on the better pitches we have played the same way any game I have seen.

Just watched Soccer Republic there, both Rovers pens were 100% right and they should have had a third. Utter stupidity from Barry to give away a penalty like that.

Sligo had no problem keeping the ball on the deck and having some lovely little moves no hoofing straight from back to front from them.

Drogheda a lot of people actually commented on how they played a bit that night rather then constant hoofing that they were known for recently.

Athlones best player was their right winger so that would suggest they were not hoofing it all that much either.

Quality of the game has absolutely nothing to do with it but anyone we have played has gotten the ball down and passed it better than we have they may not have been Barcelona but they were better than us. The pitch is a poor excuse for an awful brand of football we are set up as an away team at home as well as away. When we have played on the better pitches we have played the same way any game I have seen.

Ya athlones right winger was the best player that night. Thats more an issue with our full back rather than a good pitch. We play a poor brand but we looked much better last friday when we got it down on a decent pitch.

I'm not saying its the only reason but its a factor, How can you get a ball down and play on a pitch thats dug up every second week

Honestly I have little or no recollection of sligo playing any type of football it was an awful game in piss poor conditions and I'd hazard a guess that we had the vast majority of the ball in that game just couldnt do a thing with it. drogheda largely played a counter attacking game when they played us so no they didnt get it down and play us off the park the broke quick and when you're playing a ball into space the pitch isnt a big factor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Some bad news announced on 95fm this morning: Craig Curran has left Limerick FC and returned to the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Jofspring wrote: »
    Some bad news announced on 95fm this morning: Craig Curran has left Limerick FC and returned to the uk.

Rumours that he'd not been paid true?

Rumours that he'd not been paid true?

Heard nothing about that. It was said on the radio it was due to internal disciplinary reasons. I'd imagine if he wasn't paid then he wouldn't have been the only one.

Edit: hearing more rumours along the lines of what you say. As it stands everything is only a rumour though but very worrying.

that is worrying if he's gone. The one time we looked good this year he was up front with gaffney.

I'd doubt the pay thing is the issue because it would be others not just him although I could be wrong but I cant imagine just one would not be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Jofspring wrote: »
    internal disciplinary reasons

Not aiming this at you Jof but I'd love to know what that means. :eek:

On the playing side we'll miss him but surely there's another striker who works hard and doesn't score enough out there somewhere? Possibly even one who won't be injured quite so much? Best case scenario it might be the makings of Tam.

Best of luck to him in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If it is true, it'll be a massive, massive loss to the team. He's an excellent player.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Bray 1 - 0 Limerick

Second from bottom now, with only hopeless Athlone below us.

Nasty run of games with Dundalk, Cork and then Pats coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

How long more of this have we to take.Do the right thing Taylor and resign.

Bad run of games but if we win the game in hand (unlikely) we will move up about 4 positions.

And what would you prefer to happen?
    Im not entirely happy with.the current state of affairs, but give him time..
    Curran last night on twitter was full of praise for taylor, and defensively we havent be bad.. just miissing a big attacking threat

• Registered Users Posts: 32 E.Scifo

Any update on Curren?

Elding gone from Cork, the exact type of player we badly need..

• Advertisement

Next time you repeat this point you might suggest an alternative at least?

Sure he wants fergie and Pep to come over like, judging by how he
    wants us to play

E.Scifo wrote: »
    Any update on Curren?

Elding gone from Cork, the exact type of player we badly need..

Taylor turned down the chance to sign Elding in pre-season. He hinted it was more for off the field reasons. In saying that with Curran rumoured to be gone Taylor might change his mind on that. The only thing about Elding is he will offer nothing else around the field bar goals, but he needs chances to be set up for him also.

While I don't agree with his point that we should sack Taylor why should he name an alternative I never get that?

While I don't agree with his point that we should sack Taylor why should he name an alternative I never get that?

Because, in my opinion, it would be a very, very risky strategy to sack and pay off a manager without knowing you can get somebody better in first. Why bother getting rid of Taylor (or anybody at any club) if you haven't given consideration to what is out there that could realistically be expected to replace the guy? I think it's perfectly reasonable that if somebody has a serious problem with the direction of the club that they can provide an opinion on what the way forward should be instead.

Because, in my opinion, it would be a very, very risky strategy to sack and pay off a manager without knowing you can get somebody better in first. Why bother getting rid of Taylor (or anybody at any club) if you haven't given consideration to what is out there that could realistically be expected to replace the guy? I think it's perfectly reasonable that if somebody has a serious problem with the direction of the club that they can provide an opinion on what the way forward should be instead.

And this should influence a fans thinking on the matter why? Its not like he will have a say in the matter. If a club chairman thinks of sacking the manager he should have these answers not some fan. Its not like any fan would have a knowledge of every manager available and that would want the job. Look at Taylor would anyone that wanted Scully gone have known he was out there ready to replace him? Just because someone doesn't know who should replace him does not mean he can't be of the opinion that he is not good enough.

All a fan can do is judge what he sees in front of him week in week out and based on that is it that mental that people would want Taylor gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Taylor is not having the best of times at the moment but its a tough job with the budget he was handed this year, I would love to hear who people would like to replace him with if they want him sacked.

Roddy? (we will get manager AND player) :)

And this should influence a fans thinking on the matter why?

Because there's zero point in getting rid of Taylor if he ends up being replaced by you and me for arguments sake. There's only sense in even considering making the change if there's a marked improvement in terms of what you bring in. There's not an abundance of experienced managers out there that you could reasonably assume would be a safe bet AND would be interested in the Limerick job with the reduced budget. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that consideration should be given to who might come in before showing the door to the current guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Craig Curran gone from the club as of this morning.

Big loss but he forced the club into corner.

• Advertisement

thats a pity. Any actual definitive story

Advertisement