Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

I can supply new firmware for vodafone bridged routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Mickalus wrote: »
    Eircom still have them anyway.

I see it now. It has a 30GB cap, so I don't even acknowledge that as a package for the average customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

red_bairn wrote: »
    Do people need to restart the routers for a firmware update or was that just for bridging?
    VF published a link to download firmware for those routers supplied without the vectoring firmware and subsequently bridged. It's - https://broadband.vodafone.ie/download/files/HG658c_B214.zip
    The modems they are issuing at present still don't have that vector enabling firmware. My daughter's modem (supplied last week) was still on the old firmware and automatically pulled (or was pushed) the new version when I plugged it into the VDSL.
    The new firmware also enables the bridging option so you don't have to faff about with browser stylesheets.

I would imagine that the vectoring change would be fairly transparent as it happens at the modem's DSL layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

fat-tony wrote: »
    VF published a link to download firmware for those routers supplied without the vectoring firmware and subsequently bridged. It's - https://broadband.vodafone.ie/download/files/HG658c_B214.zip
    The modems they are issuing at present still don't have that vector enabling firmware. My daughter's modem (supplied last week) was still on the old firmware and automatically pulled (or was pushed) the new version when I plugged it into the VDSL.
    The new firmware also enables the bridging option so you don't have to faff about with browser stylesheets.

I would imagine that the vectoring change would be fairly transparent as it happens at the modem's DSL layer.

ah, k. Fair enough. Not that it affects me in any way. >.>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I wonder when Vodafone/Eircom/Digiweb and the like will start advertising these new vectoring enabled profiles?
    Like 85/20, 100/20 or whatever they'll have.
    Still puzzles me as to why they don't pump the upload when it appears from the stats posted on here that most lines can handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I wonder when Vodafone/Eircom/Digiweb and the like will start advertising these new vectoring enabled profiles?
    Still puzzles me as to why they don't pump the upload when it appears from the stats posted on here that most lines can handle it.
    Unless you are trying to run a website from a home server or are involved in peer-to-peer sharing why do you need high bandwidth upload?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

20 up is still a 20 times increase for a lot of people. They probably feel there is no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Eircom has a page. Why not ask one of the reps on there? I'd be interested in knowing the answer.

If it can go higher with no problems. Why not have a higher upload?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

20 up is still a 20 times increase for a lot of people. They probably feel there is no need.

Yeah, for now there really isnt. I'd be a very heavy user and there are 4 others in the household and we dont have any sort of saturation on a 10Mb uplink. No problems on 5Mb either.

10Mb is faster than a dropbox sync server can handle, faster than you'd ever need for the likes of Carbonite, plenty for 5 concurrent video skype calls. Really the common use case for more upstream at the moment is youtube uploads. And the difference between 20 and 30 wouldnt be significant unless you're shooting high bitrate 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

I have 324kb upload it sucks. I can't stand people who complain about having 20 meg upload, but if your line can handle it. Why not just have the increase.

I game sometimes on my xb1 and i love if i could host private lobbies. Since i play with some UK lads it would be better to have more upload speed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I would love more upload , like being able streaming my sat box remotely in HD without encoding

or uploading large files from my desktop to my Dedi server, the list goes on

Hi guys,

I have sad news. I got info that whole vectoring deploy has been suspended.
    Huaweii discovered bug in switch firmware which is allowing to have a remote access to switch in cabinet.
    They have to roll back all of upgraded cabinet already - as far as I know they will be start this night.

This is very said, I was so excited to get 100 Mb bb at home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

domeld wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Huaweii discovered bug in switch firmware which is allowing to have a remote access to switch in cabinet.
    They have to roll back all of upgraded cabinet already - as far as I know they will be start this night.

Yeah just I have a wee read of that article. Sad news. Absolutely raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Ya deffo sad, must look for that article again, now whats today`s date again.

apophis :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Hi guys,

Move along, nothing to see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Hi guys,

This post reads like one of those bank of Ireland 365 phishing email's. ... April fool.

fat-tony wrote: »
    Unless you are trying to run a website from a home server or are involved in peer-to-peer sharing why do you need high bandwidth upload?

I don't run a server or anything of the sort, the more upload the merrier and it seems the lines can handle it so why not an increase?

Hi guys,

Ah I hope you're just joking for some 1/4 joke.

Can't believe it....

If Google Fiber won't allow its residential customers to run a server with their gigabit (1000Mb) upload availability, I highly doubt Eircom would appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Any further cabinets go live this weekend? I still seem to be unvectored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If Google Fiber won't allow its residential customers to run a server with their gigabit (1000Mb) upload availability, I highly doubt Eircom would appreciate it.

They changed TOS recently, you can run non commercial servers with it no problem. Just no financial gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Cork981

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Any further cabinets go live this weekend? I still seem to be unvectored.

I've read that they will start mass updating then from tonight.

100's being updated per night.

Bk and arctan seem to have the most information about this.

Keep an eye on Net Index and see how much we ascend over the next few weeks: http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/. 43rd at the moment.

We've made some serious progress in the last 10/11 months.

Keep an eye on Net Index and see how much we ascend over the next few weeks: http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/. 43rd at the moment.

I'll keep an eye on that, thanks!

Vectoring enabled in Waterford on O'Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

No change here on my cabinet in the Wellington Road Exchange area in Cork.

Anyone in Cork City vectored yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

SpaceTime wrote: »
    No change here on my cabinet in the Wellington Road Exchange area in Cork.

Anyone in Cork City vectored yet?

Still waiting in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Letterkenny is a bit slow aswell. I have look at 6 different cabinets from my friends modems and nothing yet.

Hopefully soon

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭GLCC

How can somebody tell if the cabinet they are connected has been enabled ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Things are definitely improving, but do remember that so far only 100,000 people have signed up for VDSL so far out if 1.2 million potential Eircom wholesale customers.

Add to that about 350,000 UPC customers and the reality is the vast majority of people (450,000 out of 1.6 million homes) are still on slow ADSL broadband.

So there is a long way to go yet for these figures to be bumped.

Advertisement