Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Stupify wrote: »
    I don't think Munster would take him back, even if he was playing the best rugby of his life, even if Murray left us. Hopefully someone younger comes along as an able back-up for Murray.

From a purely rugby perspective they'd be mad not to

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Stupify

From a purely rugby perspective they'd be mad not to

Well, I'm not thinking purely rugby in this case, there are other things in play for why Munster would never want him back and he more than likely wouldn't be too keen himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It just occurred to me (well I actually read it elsewhere) that Martin Moore became the fifth player from the Leinster/Ulster U20 side from 2010 to be capped by Ireland.

Quite an impressive return from that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bilston wrote: »
    It just occurred to me (well I actually read it elsewhere) that Martin Moore became the fifth player from the Leinster/Ulster U20 side from 2010 to be capped by Ireland.

Very Impressive. None from other side and not likely in the next while that there will be any

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Yeah that was a really one sided game! There are other prospects who were of that age group but didn't play, but just looking at the team sheet, of the guys that did play I can't see any others that have a realistic chance of being capped by Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

That maul thing by Schmidt is just genius where does the man get his ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Very Impressive. None from other side and not likely in the next while that there will be any

None of the Munster contingent are near the Munster 1st team, never mind Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

eire4 wrote: »
    Not as big a blow as not having O'Brien and Ferris but it would have been good to have Reddan and Fitzgerald as options off the bench given how well they have played recently for Leinster this season.

Well Fitzgerald would be starting as he's been the best wing in the country, so he's a big loss for a big game like Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

dtpc191991 wrote: »

How do you mean? It's just a standard truck n trailer maul executed well.

who_me wrote: »
    None of the Munster contingent are near the Munster 1st team, never mind Ireland.
    I know and never said otherwise. With hindsight shows even more why wrong provinces were chosen to combine for that game. Connachts set of players doing better than Munsters from that game with Ulster by far doing the best out of the players who played that game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

dtpc191991 wrote: »

Kudos should really go to John Plumtree. As in depth as Schmidt is, I'd say he leaves the maul and line-out to Plumtree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I know and never said otherwise. With hindsight shows even more why wrong provinces were chosen to combine for that game. Connachts set of players doing better than Munsters from that game with Ulster by far doing the best out of the players who played that game

I was agreeing with you / adding to your point! :)

Munster players tend to come through into the senior squad at later ages (players like POM & Hanrahan being recent exceptions). I wonder if that's caused by, or a cause of the Munster underage players such as those who featured in the combined game being quite a bit behind their provincial counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

.ak wrote: »

I think he's referring to this

http://www.thescore.ie/ireland-maul-john-plumtree-1300206-Feb2014/

I posted earlier about it
    Interesting bit in this article on the reasoning behind Ireland's new emphasis on the driving maul. The theory is that developing the driving maul as a weapon for scoring tries will discourage defending teams from giving away penalties, given that they know we can kick for the corner and have a good chance at scoring tries or take the three points.

I think the idea's pretty interesting. Discourage the opposition from slowing down our ball or taking risks in the breakdown for fear that we'll kick to the corner and drive over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Henshaw an outside bet for the bench spot? Given Schmidts policy for rotation

who_me wrote: »
    I was agreeing with you / adding to your point! :)

Munster players tend to come through into the senior squad at later ages (players like POM & Hanrahan being recent exceptions). I wonder if that's caused by, or a cause of the Munster underage players such as those who featured in the combined game being quite a bit behind their provincial counterparts.
    Few of those Munster players will be involved at later age. Not many staring at AIL level from that age group. Munster have improved in some aspects in coaching/developing u18-20 players since then but still lot of work to go to catch other provinces especially in the backs where gap is monstrous at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

First non-Ulster player?

Those fellas can be pretty happy with themselves. Jacko and Marshall are first choice provincial, second choice international in their positions. Henderson' s situation is complicated by not settling on one position, but he's in the mix internationally and being groomed for greatness provincially. Gilroy is third best provincial winger and bubbling under for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

.ak wrote: »

Sorry too all concerned I should have explained it. According to a recent article on the Score Schmidt told Plumree to develop a strong driving maul so that teams will be discouraged from giving us penalties as we can kick to the corner and score tries. In turn this will make teams more passive when slowing our ball down at ruck time meaning we can secure quicker ball and hopefully create more gaps in the opposition defence for the backline to attack and as a result more try scoring oppourtunities from deeper positions in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

ooooooh, new IRFU site

www.irishrugby.ie

fancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

ooooooh, new IRFU site

www.irishrugby.ie

fancy

Was just looking at the "Facts and Figures" article they had - said POM and Faletau had the most turnovers in rd 1 with 3 turnovers...Henry had three too didn't he?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's all the provinces and the national side now who've updated their websites.

• Advertisement

Was just looking at the "Facts and Figures" article they had - said POM and Faletau had the most turnovers in rd 1 with 3 turnovers...Henry had three too didn't he?

Nope, Henry had 1 turn-over at around 2:38.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Hagz wrote: »

Interesting...could've sworn he had more!

On a side note just found out Wayne Barnes is the ref for Saturday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

You can tell the new site is delivered by the same agency as the provinces anyway. The all look and feel the same. The irishrugby one seems to be having some teething problems, slow loading, not automatically directed to the mobile site so you have to searching for it down the bottom hidden under the share bar and cookie policy. Then on the mobile site it's difficult to find something simple like the next kick off time. Delivering a separate mobile / web site nowadays is ridiculous on it's own.

I dunno maybe it's just me but it's annoying to me that Irish rugbys web presence is handled by a UK company, who is delivering a poor product when there are so many capable digital and web agencies in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Spud83 wrote: »
    You can tell the new site is delivered by the same agency as the provinces anyway. The all look and feel the same. The irishrugby one seems to be having some teething problems, slow loading, not automatically directed to the mobile site so you have to searching for it down the bottom hidden under the share bar and cookie policy. Then on the mobile site it's difficult to find something simple like the next kick off time. Delivering a separate mobile / web site nowadays is ridiculous on it's own.

I dunno maybe it's just me but it's annoying to me that Irish rugbys web presence is handled by a UK company, who is delivering a poor product when there are so many capable digital and web agencies in Ireland.

Mess trying to find out when the live stream for the press conference was on.

Then trying to find the stream. Then getting a 404 error trying to go fullscreen from one embedded stream.

Wasn't immediately obvious it was the stream or just the O2 rugby videos on loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Anyone recommend a good paper that has a good rugby write up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

astonaidan wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a good paper that has a good rugby right up?
    Rugby right up yours too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Henry won a turnover on 57:30, just watched it there.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Henry won a turnover on 57:30, just watched it there.

I'll look again later, but I'm almost positive you are mistaking O'Mahony's turn-overs as Henry's. Did Henry hold his wrist in pain afterwards? Cause if he did that was POM's turn-over.

I can't check now, but I'll check later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I'll look again later, but I'm almost positive you are mistaking O'Mahony's turn-overs as Henry's. Did Henry hold his wrist in pain afterwards? Cause if he did that was POM's turn-over.

I can't check now, but I'll check later.

Yeah that's the one. You are correct sorry just glanced the replay right after POM rips it so it looks like POM tackles n Henry gets over it but POM already won it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Ireland are training in Clonmel later in the week, thinking of calling down.
    Are these things worth going to or is it just an autograph session for kiddies?

I presume they're hardly on a jolly anyway....I hope:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement