Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I wouldn't think that Joe will be scared of making changes.

POC has to start if he's fit.
    Luke has to start if he's fit.
    I'd probably start McFadden ahead of Kearney if not. Kearney was decent but McFadden look hungry when he came on.
    D'Arcy V Marshall is a very close call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Hagz wrote: »
    I think the Jamie Roberts factor will play a big part in the selection decision.

I assume you mean in favour of D'arcy's selection? I'm not sure, Marshall seems better equipped to handle the Welsh backs on the gain line. His upper body strength is incredible. Yes D'arcy is experienced and playing well but he was poor in the corresponding fixture in 2012. I'd marginally favour Marshall and possibly bring D'arcy back in for Twickenham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Tough considering what Marshall could potentially bring in attack, but I don't think Marshall forced Schmidt's hand enough today, didn't really do enough. Another big NZ-type effort for Darce against Wales I think, not missing tackles is going to be absolutely crucial although Marshall is a great defender too, but then D'Arcy has that relationship with BOD. Very very tough decision. Fitzgerald being back would be a huge boost

I don't mind. Much of a muchness. Don't think Darcy v Marshall will decide the fortunes of the Wales match. Please let Fitz be fit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 quickcatch

Any back is hoping to look good when they come on for the last 10 mins of a match because they are fresh up against tired legs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm warming to the idea of 6. Ruddock 7. O'Mahony 8. Heaslip with Henry on the bench.

It won't happen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ferris is only so injury prone BECAUSE he's an athlete - the way he puts his body on the line you'd have to Zeus himself to avoid injury

Or Heaslip. Zeus or Heaslip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think that Joe will be scared of making changes.

POC has to start if he's fit.
    Luke has to start if he's fit.
    I'd probably start McFadden ahead of Kearney if not. Kearney was decent but McFadden look hungry when he came on.
    D'Arcy V Marshall is a very close call.

POC will start. He had a chest infection and I can remember when I had one, the absolute worst thing about it was that I wasn't able to sleep with the high temperature and non-stop coughing, and that's exactly was Schmidt said about POC after the game. He'll be on a course of anti-biotics and back in full training early next week, no bother to make the Wales game.

If Fitz is fit the team I'd go for
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Rory Best
    3. Mike Ross
    4. Devin Toner
    5. Paul O'Connell ©
    6. Peter O'Mahony
    7. Chris Henry
    8. Jamie Heaslip
    9. Conor Murray
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Luke Fitzgerald
    12. Gordon D'Arcy
    13. Brian O'Driscoll
    14. Dave Kearney
    15. Rob Kearney

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. Martin Moore
    19. Dan Tuohy
    20. Rhys Ruddock
    21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Paddy Jackson
    23. Fergus McFadden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

I'd parachute Zebo straight in for the Wales game, 60 mins of him running at the Welsh line would cause a little consternation in their numbers & perhaps let our other backs come into the game more

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'd parachute Zebo straight in for the Wales game, 60 mins of him running at the Welsh line would cause a little consternation in their numbers & perhaps let our other backs come into the game more

I'd rather McFadden, Bowe or Fitzgerald personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Zebo will not be brought into the squad for the Wales game. He just won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Zebo will not be brought into the squad for the Wales game. He just won't.

Yeah, rightly or wrongly it won't happen. The 34 man squad named the other week is what's going to cover the first two games. He might be back in for the third game.

Kearney, Trimble, O'Driscoll, Marshall, Fitzgerald/Kearney, Sexton, Murray, Healy, Best, Ross, Tuohy, O'Connell, O'Mahony, Henry, Heaslip.
    Cronin, McGrath, Moore, Toner, Ruddock, Boss, Jackson, McFadden.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I reckon Touhy will make way for Toner. I'd rather have Toner starting with Touhy coming on to add physicality.

I'd rather take Wales on in the tight where I think Tuohy is slightly better but Toner has improved massively in that area so I'd have no qualms about him starting (and expect him to).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭phog

That just won't happen, Zebo has zero gametime behind him since Joe dropped him to get match fit.

If Joe was considering using Zebo in either of the first two games Zebo would have started in the Wolfhounds game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Marshall fronted up big-time in defence today. I would have no concerns about him playing against Wales. He also needs to be given a run of games in the team.

Our lack of wingers is a worry going into next week. If Fitz is out, it's still 2 from the same 3 isn't it? Trimble, D Kearney and McFadden. Unfortunately, there's no way to spin it in Ireland's favour when our wingers are compared to North & Cuthbert.

I'd love to Henshaw on the bench. He could have an incredible impact.

trackguy wrote: »
    Marshall fronted up big-time in defence today. I would have no concerns about him playing against Wales.

I have to admit I'd be worried about him against Wales. I think Roberts would immediately target him and he runs with more power than Dunbar. And then North and Cuthbert will undoubtedly come of their wings and ask questions of him.

I've no doubt Marshall won't take a step back, but I don't know how much punishment he can take. In fairness, the only way to know if he can swim is to chuck him in the deep end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Hagz wrote: »
    I have to admit I'd be worried about him against Wales. I think Roberts would immediately target him and he runs with more power than Dunbar. And then North and Cuthbert will undoubtedly come of their wings and ask questions of him.

I've no doubt Marshall won't take a step back, but I don't know how much punishment he can take. In fairness, the only way to know if he can swim is to chuck him in the deep end.

I always worry about him being concussed now, which is probably unfounded.

He's never going to be a top class 12 if he can't play against the likes of Roberts/ Tuilagi/ Basteraud.

If Marshall plays and gets injured.... I presume McFadden goes to 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I always worry about him being concussed now, which is probably unfounded.

He's never going to be a top class 12 if he can't play against the likes of Roberts/ Tuilagi/ Basteraud.

If Marshall plays and gets injured.... I presume McFadden goes to 12?

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

My sources say Fitz won't be ready by Saturday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

My sources say Fitz won't be ready by Saturday :(

Well you weren't wrong last time.

Hopefully you are this time!

Absolutely gutted for Fitzgerald, and for Ireland. Has been in the form of his life almost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

.ak wrote: »
    Well you weren't wrong last time.

Hopefully you are this time!

Absolutely gutted for Fitzgerald, and for Ireland. Has been in the form of his life almost.

I hope I'm wrong too! He's just been so unlucky...like to pick up a knock in training as well without getting a run out in green

Without Fitz it's difficult to see where our attacking spark is going to come from to be honest.

We need Heaslip and Healy to have break-out performances, and we need Sexton to get a lot of touches on the ball me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

phog wrote: »
    That just won't happen, Zebo has zero gametime behind him since Joe dropped him to get match fit.

If Joe was considering using Zebo in either of the first two games Zebo would have started in the Wolfhounds game.

It most probably won't, but our back line could do with his spark for the Welsh game.
    Our pack so have to be on top of their game & not give any penalties away or else HalfP could destroy us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Apparently Tomas O'Leary is suing the IRFU for an incident during training prior to an England game in the 2011 Six Nations.

Most of the article is behind a paywall.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1370954.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_02_01

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wasn't TOL considered lucky not to have lost an eye when that machine hit him in the face?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm just thinking out loud here I've no facts what so ever but don't the IRFU have a clause that if you're injured for a % of the season they can reduce your pay?

TOL was injured alot around then so if they did do this and it was a poorly operating training machine was one of the reasons why he was out injured you can see why he would want to take them to court.

I can't see him wanting to come back to an Irish team again either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Marshall fronted up big-time in defence today. I would have no concerns about him playing against Wales. He also needs to be given a run of games in the team.

Our lack of wingers is a worry going into next week. If Fitz is out, it's still 2 from the same 3 isn't it? Trimble, D Kearney and McFadden. Unfortunately, there's no way to spin it in Ireland's favour when our wingers are compared to North & Cuthbert.

I'd love to Henshaw on the bench. He could have an incredible impact.
    With Luke out, its going to be Kearney-D'Arcy-Dric-McFadden from 11 to 14, with Marshall on the bench. Trimble loses out.

I believe he's going to rotate the outhalf bench spot, and Madigan will get the nod for Wales.

I'm sure Tuohy will get at least one more start. Maybe not against Wales, but I'd bet he will be back for the English.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement