Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

If we manage to beat England it'll be the best win over them since 2004 IMO, I think they've a super side developing there. I still dont think we carry much of a threat in open play, we're the smartest most miserly side in the tournament though and have a coach who's an expert in finding chinks in the oppositions armour. If we do win I suspect it wont be too pretty.

I'm just delighted that barring a disaster we'll be going into the final weekend of the 6N with a shot at the trophy, too often in the past few years we've been out of it at this stage and the excitements died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

We should target players like Farrell and Hartley who are known to be easily riled. Try and get under their skin like we did to Phillips yesterday - just frustrate the hell out of them in the hope of forcing some errors

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

We should target players like Farrell and Hartley who are known to be easily riled. Try and get under their skin like we did to Phillips yesterday - just frustrate the hell out of them in the hope of forcing some errors

Did you see Farrels push on Scotland scrum half yesterday after England knocked on the ball? Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

sullivlo wrote: »
    Did you see Farrels push on Scotland scrum half yesterday after England knocked on the ball? Disgusting.

Ahh give it a rest. There are a few Irish players that I won't name who have been well known to get involved in that sort of thing.

sullivlo wrote: »

It was unnecessary but disgusting is certainly over egging it, I actually cant stop laughing every time I watch the clip, Farrells expression makes him look like a child playing tag in a playground.

http://balls.ie/rugby/video-owen-farrell-pushes-chris-cusiter/

• Advertisement

Not sure if I'm correct on this but have Ireland now gone 2 full games without effecting a single successful choke tackle? A change of tack with Kiss gone or other sides copping on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

danthefan wrote: »
    Ahh give it a rest. There are a few Irish players that I won't name who have been well known to get involved in that sort of thing.

Don't recall any Irish player doing stuff like that as consistently as Farrell does it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

shuffol wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm correct on this but have Ireland now gone 2 full games without effecting a single successful choke tackle? A change of tack with Kiss gone or other sides copping on.

Kiss isn't gone.

Don't recall any Irish player doing stuff like that as consistently as Farrell does it

Possibly not but we do have players who have done that sort of stuff, totally unnecessarily. Irish rugby fans can be awfully sanctimonious at times imo. But anyway, lets not get bogged down in it, after such a good win yesterday which was basically built on discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭phog

Are you sure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

It was unnecessary but disgusting is certainly over egging it, I actually cant stop laughing every time I watch the clip, Farrells expression makes him look like a child playing tag in a playground.

Big smile across his face as he pushes nice 'ol Chris Cusiter :mad: Hope we'll be sending Healy down his channel a few times at Twickenham!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Kiss is still there...

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Kiss isn't gone.

Right you are, my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Possibly not but we do have players who have done that sort of stuff, totally unnecessarily. Irish rugby fans can be awfully sanctimonious at times imo. But anyway, lets not get bogged down in it, after such a good win yesterday which was basically built on discipline.

Just like pointless crap like Farrell's push isn't limited to other countries (not that I think that was the implication), Irish fans aren't the only ones who are 'sanctimonious' about that stuff when it suits them. Sports fans are sports fans everywhere

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Perhaps disgusting was a but harsh :P

Uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Looking at France today, I really think that we will be too structured, organised and clinical for them.

England are going to be the real test, they're a very solid outfit. The same plan that worked against Wales and Scotland mightn't work to the same extent against England, we won't beat them up up front. We'll have to add something else... and I'm sure we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Looking at France today, I really think that we will be too structured, organised and clinical for them.

England are going to be the real test, they're a very solid outfit. The same plan that worked against Wales and Scotland mightn't work to the same extent against England, we won't beat them up up front. We'll have to add something else... and I'm sure we will.

I was in no way impressed by England yesterday. Scotland were utter pants and when they were down to 14 men and England were in their 22 knocking on the door the English couldn't convert that into points at all. They only managed 7 points in the entire second half. One score. Against a Scottish team that were that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Anyone have an idea what the changes in the rankings will be after this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Anyone have an idea what the changes in the rankings will be after this weekend?

I Imagine we swapped 7th and 6th with wales only

http://www.irb.com/rankings/sportid=1/ranking/index.html Last weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Yes we now go sixth behind France in fifth and England in fourth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

wonder who's going to get a call up to replace Dan Touhy in the second row alongside O'Connell and Toner?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

uggybear wrote: »
    wonder who's going to get a call up to replace Dan Touhy in the second row alongside O'Connell and Toner?

You'd imagine it'd be Henderson, since he got the call when POC was out?

uggybear wrote: »

McCarthy or Henderson - not a concern really tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

McCarthy or Henderson - not a concern really tbh.

how nice it is to be able to say that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Was very impressed by Henderson's performance in the Wolfhounds game vs England Saxons, think he should get a spot in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Macca or Henderson can easily fill spot on bench - great to have such options available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

McCarthy was probably ahead of Tuohy prior to the Scotland game so I'd say he's most likely to slot back in. Henderson might be the more exciting impact sub but it's going to be a serious dog-fight up front against England and that will probably swing it for McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

McCarthy was probably ahead of Tuohy prior to the Scotland game so I'd say he's most likely to slot back in. Henderson might be the more exciting impact sub but it's going to be a serious dog-fight up front against England and that will probably swing it for McCarthy.

I understand where you're coming from but I would be wary of limiting ourselves to England's capabilities.
    While responding to England's gameplan we shouldn't lose sight of our own. Yes, pick a side that can armwrestle against them but we should not be afraid to play our style of rugby. For that reason I would keep a hold of POC and Toner to start and front up to their pack but as the game goes on an gaps begin to appear I would prefer to have Henderson coming on rather than McCarthy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Not a fear Toner is going to be dropped. Only a few short months ago I thought he was just going get a few token caps until Ryan came back from injury and Henderson stepped up

But he's now established himself as Irelands first choice lock alongside Paulie. He's going to be an important player for us come the world cup imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement