Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

TOL had a good game today as LI handed Sarries their first loss at the allianz

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

TOL had a good game today as LI handed Sarries their first loss at the allianz

Good to see Hagan and Sheridan getting games too. I think Sheridan has, incredibly, still played every second of their AP campaign.

Alas, TOL's Irish career is almost certainly done after last week.

Buer wrote: »
    Good to see Hagan and Sheridan getting games too. I think Sheridan has, incredibly, still played every second of their AP campaign.

Alas, TOL's Irish career is almost certainly done after last week.

I don't think last week has made any difference to his Irish chances to be fair.....he had none before it.

I don't think last week has made any difference to his Irish chances to be fair.....he had none before it.

Fair point but I can't see him even ever playing in Ireland again at all now which is a pity. He could do a job.

Fair point but I can't see him even ever playing in Ireland again at all now which is a pity. He could do a job.

Leinster will be on the lookout for a new 9 in the next year or so.........*runs away very quickly*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭antogz1979

Ireland up at + 5 with PP for the England game, I'll take that thank you

Leinster will be on the lookout for a new 9 in the next year or so.........*runs away very quickly*

Ha, I wasn't thinking about Leinster. I think Pienaar could do with better cover than Paul Marshall. The next 18 months will be telling for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

digzy wrote: »
    Ireland are training in Clonmel later in the week, thinking of calling down.
    Are these things worth going to or is it just an autograph session for kiddies?

I presume they're hardly on a jolly anyway....I hope:cool:
    Its a restricted session so more than just autograph session for kids
    Email cluboffice 'at'clonmelrfc.com before tomorrow if you want to have a shot at going.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It doesn't sound good for Tuohy. I imagine Mike McCarthy will replace him?

How's Ryan getting on? I wouldn't worry about McCarthy, Henderson or Ryan coming into the 23. I think Toner and POC are nailed on regardless of others for time being though. I can't get over how much Toner has come on in a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I presume Tuohy's tournament is done. Mike McCarthy an able replacement or maybe baby-faced Henderson.

It's good that, rather then the injuries to key players mounting up, we have players to come back in.

Always worth noting that tactics, selection, blah blah is one thing , but a key determinant of success is the amount of your top players you can put on the pitch.

The grand slam team of '09 had a pretty good run of luck with injuries.

We have two weeks to gather ourselves for England the another two weeks to recover, with a possible opportunity to make one or two rotations against Italy.

All good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Tomorrow will be McCarthy's first game since his injury. Let's hope he goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

What happened last week?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Hype710 wrote: »
    What happened last week?

Think it's that he is suing the irfu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Surely Henderson will be ahead of McCarthy at this stage?

Edit: never mind, plenty of time to catch up..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Racing play Bayonne at home next week. It's a handy fixture on paper and definitely a match that Sexton doesn't need to play. I'd say he'll be on the bench to dig them out of a hole if needs be. Racing go to Grenoble on March 22 and they'll want Sexton for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I thought I would miss Joe from Leinster because I love squad rotation - I've said it here before. I love seeing players who don't always get a run out, kicking ass. I didn't think the 6 nations would give him a chance to start anything but his strongest team - but his injury enforced rotation has unearthed some gems, and I wonder will they keep their place, what do you think.

Like look at our wingers. Bowe, Zebo, Fitzgerald, Earls are all lions, according to this excellent demented mole article McFadden is statistically one of Ireland's most valuable players (let them prove it). Yet he has somehow made Dave Kearney and Trimble play like men possessed. They're playing like they know every game could be their last. They're playing like the fires of hell are burning under them. How could they be dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I'm unsure what happened last week? Was it just bad game.

Assuming so, TOL was a lion selection for 2009. He has had a horrific run of injuries and form since then (and I never particularly liked him as a player) but with the exception of Murray it's absolutely possible he comes back into form which would put him ahead of the rest of the Irish scrumhaves (redden, boss, Marshall, Marmion). We are not exactly blessed with quality in depth in that area albeit that Murray as first choice is reasonably strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

padser wrote: »
    I'm unsure what happened last week? Was it just bad game.

Assuming so, TOL was a lion selection for 2009. He has had a horrific run of injuries and form since then (and I never particularly liked him as a player) but with the exception of Murray it's absolutely possible he comes back into form which would put him ahead of the rest of the Irish scrumhaves (redden, boss, Marshall, Marmion). We are not exactly blessed with quality in depth in that area albeit that Murray as first choice is reasonably strong

Last week it came to light he's suing the IRFU for an injury sustained in training.

Bolded - no, it's not imo. He's had one good season in his career, 2008/09. To think, 4 or 5 years later, he could have some resurgence in form is fanciful in the extreme to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

An unpleasant thought from Dallaglio in this mornings Times on Sexton
    I'd also wager a bet that England will pay a lot of attention to Sexton who is so important to Ireland. If they tackle hard and happen to get him off the field, things would be a lot easier.

We all know players are targeted during games with an aim to negate them, but it's nasty to see it written that the intention is to injure a player.

• Advertisement

Exciting times for Ireland's fans. We have put in place the building block for the tournament now and done so in relatively impressive fashion.

To reel things in somewhat though, I'm not going to go cock-a-hoop quite yet. I think some people are getting a little carried away. We put in an excellent performance yesterday but I felt we should be winning by at least a clear score in that game anyway. Wales have not been good since last season's 6N. We've often beaten them and beaten them well in the past so I'm reluctant to use them as a yardstick.

In the past year, they've beaten Argentina, Tonga, Japan and Italy. They spluttered to victory past Italy and Tonga. They've also lost to Japan away and Australia and South Africa at home. They're looking quite average/poor.

I'd hope the squad and management aren't listening to the hype at the moment. I think most of us would have expected us to win our opening two games.

England is going to be a different proposition. I think we've got the brains and the set up to beat them but they won't play like Wales did. They've got the pragmatism and power to make things far more difficult for us and, in people like Care and Brown, have backs with genuine guile who don't rely on using pace and power in open space to hurt opponents.

I'm not sure we can afford to change any of the starting line up. The one I would look at would be Moore in for Ross to give a little more dynamism around the field but it would be a huge ask of him to make his full debut in such a cauldron. If Bowe is back, I'd bring him straight in just because he's so adept at certain tactics and gathering kicks in behind.

I think we'll continue to use the boot as the main method of attack rather than try to open them up through the hands and get ourselves smashed. Flat kicks in behind them on quick recycles, blindside snipes and chips etc. will make an appearance, I would think.

Most importantly though, we'll have to starve them. Defence will have to be like a Scot getting the first round in. We cannot give them easy ball which Vunipola, Brown and May will gobble up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

ThisRegard wrote: »
    We all know players are targeted during games with an aim to negate them, but it's nasty to see it written that the intention is to injure a player.

If they tackle legally then there's nothing nasty about it really imo, such is the game. If someone commits a deliberate act of foul play then yeah, that's out of order, but I don't think any of the English players will do that tbh. Discipline seems key for Lancaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Will we be 6th in the rankings on Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Exciting times for Ireland's fans. We have put in place the building block for the tournament now and done so in relatively impressive fashion.

To reel things in somewhat though, I'm not going to go cock-a-hoop quite yet. I think some people are getting a little carried away. We put in an excellent performance yesterday but I felt we should be winning by at least a clear score in that game anyway. Wales have not been good since last season's 6N. We've often beaten them and beaten them well in the past so I'm reluctant to use them as a yardstick.

In the past year, they've beaten Argentina, Tonga, Japan and Italy. They spluttered to victory past Italy and Tonga. They've also lost to Japan away and Australia and South Africa at home. They're looking quite average/poor.

I'd hope the squad and management aren't listening to the hype at the moment. I think most of us would have expected us to win our opening two games.

England is going to be a different proposition. I think we've got the brains and the set up to beat them but they won't play like Wales did. They've got the pragmatism and power to make things far more difficult for us and, in people like Care and Brown, have backs with genuine guile who don't rely on using pace and power in open space to hurt opponents.

I'm not sure we can afford to change any of the starting line up. The one I would look at would be Moore in for Ross to give a little more dynamism around the field but it would be a huge ask of him to make his full debut in such a cauldron. If Bowe is back, I'd bring him straight in just because he's so adept at certain tactics and gathering kicks in behind.

I think we'll continue to use the boot as the main method of attack rather than try to open them up through the hands and get ourselves smashed. Flat kicks in behind them on quick recycles, blindside snipes and chips etc. will make an appearance, I would think.

Most importantly though, we'll have to starve them. Defence will have to be like a Scot getting the first round in. We cannot give them easy ball which Vunipola, Brown and May will gobble up.

We've done though what I expected us to do under Schmidt, raise the level of performance and adapt the style of play to do the necessary for each game. We've not come close to the NZ performance yet, and still put 2 beatings on the 2 teams we've faced. I've got a lot of faith in this team and coach to do what they need to do to win, this is not a high quality 6 Nations, any of the big 3 SH teams would walk the tournament imo. When you think about it, if there is just one performance to rival the NZ game in the 3 remaining matches, that could well be enough to win the championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

:eek: Jesus that's mental .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Hmmm. Danny Care?

Certainly not Owen Farrell ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

duckysauce wrote: »
    :eek: Jesus that's mental .

courtnay lawes has previous, Aviva final last year for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I noticed England pushed up a lot in defence against Scotland. They also wrapped in to cut off the pass outside but left themselves very open to a crossfield kick to a winger or in behind. Personally I think the kick behind would be tough as the traffic would probably do its best to slow the chase.

We will be kicking, but there's always the dividend of getting behind the rush defence with straight running off one out ball. Scotland managed that a couple of times, but the support wasn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Agreed. We've had three good/great performances in a row at home now, but the real test will be whether we can take that to a place like Twickenham.

Against England, I'd hope we can try and go through the phases a bit more and try and run the ball a bit. I don't think (not that I've checked) that there's as much of a size differential between their backs and ours, and the NZ game showed that we are capable of dealing with power.

In saying that, their linespeed can leave a bit of space in behind, and if our kicking game can be as accurate as it was yesterday then it's definitely something we should exploit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

Agreed. We've had three good/great performances in a row at home now, but the real test will be whether we can take that to a place like Twickenham.

Against England, I'd hope we can try and go through the phases a bit more and try and run the ball a bit. I don't think (not that I've checked) that there's as much of a size differential between their backs and ours, and the NZ game showed that we are capable of dealing with power.

In saying that, their linespeed can leave a bit of space in behind, and if our kicking game can be as accurate as it was yesterday then it's definitely something we should exploit.

I actually think Schmidts is playing a blinder here, In the Scotland game we did enough to win and in the end it was to much for the Scots, in the Wales game we used the lineout and Sextons kicking game, two of Irelands strengths but this game plan was employed because of the weakness of the Welsh lineout and the strength of our driving maul plus Schmidt expected the game to by played in the rain so made sense to play like we did.

But, we are yet to see a repeat of the NZ game plan and players keeping saying Ireland haven't showing their full hand which I would agree with if you consider the variety of plays in the game plan against NZ. This suggests that Ireland have set plays, a running game, the choke tackle and some other styles of play up their sleeve for the England game, England will be expecting us to play against them like we did against Wales but will we?

If it's a dry day for the game against England I wouldn't be surprised to see set plays, men going up the middle, sextons rap arounds ect... how England are going to defend that I don't know because Ireland haven't used it yet, so it's not like they can do video analysis. Plus I think England are very one demental and a bit like Wales in that Schmidt will know how they are going to try to play against us, in my mind thats advantage Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement