Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

bilston wrote: »
    Right am I the only person who has never heard of this Blade bloke?!

20 year old Connacht scrum-half. Started 1 game in the Challenge cup this season and scored two tries. Outside of that he's had 40+ minutes/4 appearances off the bench.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If the worst happened to both Murray and Redden, I think Boss edges it ahead of all other competition.

Ah here. I'd take Marmion ahead of Boss in a heartbeat. There is a reason he appears to have fallen behind McGrath at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Connacht scrum-half, U-20 in 2013, I think. Decent prospect, but I'm not sure why thomond likes him so much tbh, he's not even regularly in the Connacht 23 atm. Luke McGrath has at least been ahead of Boss... even Marshall, who I don't really rate would possibly be a decent bench option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If the worst happened to both Murray and Redden, I think Boss edges it ahead of all other competition.

Are 'all other competition' a pop-band of 15-year-olds? Because that's about the only way I can agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Marmionn should be 2nd choice, never mind 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ah here. I'd take Marmion ahead of Boss in a heartbeat. There is a reason he appears to have fallen behind McGrath at Leinster.

Marmion should arguably be ahead of Reddan, let alone Boss, he's quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Id have Marmion ahead of Boss but after that hard to see who could be moved ahead of Boss but its third/fourth choice discussion hardly a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Am I the only one that thought matt Healy should have been in the extended squad.has been playing out if his skin in the past three months. Prob the most improved player I have seen in the provinces and speed to burn.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

All players are still registered with a senior club who they could line out for if they had to(very unlikely for most players). The likes of Payne would have been an NIE until recently so would not have been allowed play AIL under rules put in place several seasons ago. The likes of Bent may simply never have been assigned a club when he came to Leinster

How do they pick which club to assign a player to?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Marmion should arguably be ahead of Reddan, let alone Boss, he's quality.

I actually haven't been that impressed with him recently, he does a lot of good things but there are some mistakes and poor decisions that are frustrating and have the potential to be more costly at international level. I did think he should be benching a while back but with the pecking order as it is and Reddan generally doing well when needed I can't see it changing between now and the RWC

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A player with the surname Blade must be a headline writers wet dream. Imagine the puns!

I don't think it's that clear cut between Marmion and Boss. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Schmidt opt for Boss in the case of injury. Marmion gets a lot of praise because he's electric in open play, but I still think the technical aspects of his game need work.

Am I the only one that thought matt Healy should have been in the extended squad.has been playing out if his skin in the past three months. Prob the most improved player I have seen in the provinces and speed to burn.

He's unfortunate to miss out, but I think there's a focus on the World Cup and the management want to get Earls, McFadden and co. up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Hagz wrote: »
    He's unfortunate to miss out, but I think there's a focus on the World Cup and the management want to get Earls, McFadden and co. up to speed.

But if your going on form,Healy is ahead of them. Clear lines breaks and tries.earls hasnt appeared this season. I would be rightly pissed if I was him...

But if your going on form,Healy is ahead of them. Clear lines breaks and tries.earls hasnt appeared this season. I would be rightly pissed if I was him...

Yeh that's kind of what I said. But when you know there are guys who can far surpass his abilities, it's definitley worth omitting him to get them in the environment. Especially when you're dealing with someone who wouldn't be a starter anyway.

Marmion just hasn't impressed my at international level yet. His form for Connacht hasn't translated yet. His decision has been suspect on a number of occasions in his limited appearances in green. I'd prefer Boss if we were playing France/England next week. Very hypothetical as this is assuming Murray and Redden fall under a bus.

I say get Stringer back to get is 99th and 100th cap.

but I still think the technical aspects of his game need work.

Sure. But Boss is agonisingly slow and completely stunts a backline and that's not going away with coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Marmion just hasn't impressed my at international level yet. His form for Connacht hasn't translated yet. His decision has been suspect on a number of occasions in his limited appearances in green. I'd prefer Boss if we were playing France/England next week. Very hypothetical as this is assuming Murray and Redden fall under a bus.

He's come off the bench for his caps??

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Sure. But Boss is agonisingly slow and completely stunts a backline and that's not going away with coaching.

I don't think he's as bad as you're painting him out to be, but sure we can agree to disagree.

• Advertisement

Boss does get lot of flack here, but I really think Leinster's backline was stunted more by having zero pace at outside centre and no line-breaking ball carrier this season (until December or so).

I don't think he's as bad as you're painting him out to be, but sure we can agree to disagree.

Fair enough. He hasn't worked with the best forward pack and ball presentation this season but I just get the impression he's started a fairly inexorable decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Marmion can be a bit dithery at the back of a ruck and as you say can make bad decisions. For those wondering who Blade is, he's a small guy who's built like a brick sh1thouse, scores tries for fun and has incredible tempo and a great pass. He could well pass Marmion and McGrath out if he continues at the rate he's going.

Definitely one to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I must say...Irish team announcements these days are a bit of a letdown

1) There seems to be some sort of rule that until the other 5N countries have named their squads, Ireland may not do so
    2) The Wolfhounds and the main team are named together
    3) Every man and his dog is named. If you're not named and you're not injured, time to jump of a bridge.

I suppose I'm obliged to congratulate those players with Aoatearoan origins (Bent, White, Boss, Payne)...I'm not sure Boss would even get offered an ITM-cup contract these days, like virtually everyone else I'm surprised (even confused) by his selection.

Given all the injuries throughout the year, looks like there'll be a pretty decent team put out on the paddock.

But, just again:

Are we any wiser than yesterday??

its_phil wrote: »
    He's come off the bench for his caps??

Yes?

I actually can't believe I'm defending Boss here. I was delighted to see him left out of the Castre match after his shocking performance two weeks previous to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Yes?

I actually can't believe I'm defending Boss here. I was delighted to see him left out of the Castre match after his shocking performance two weeks previous to that.

Hardly a fair amount of time to critique a player at international level? He's proven himself at the top club level over past year picking up MOTM awards against Saracens, Tolouse and Leinster. Other than the Argentina game when he went for it, I'm not sure how you can be so dismissive of a young player who hasn't got a real crack at the whip yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Swiwi. wrote: »

Are we any wiser than yesterday??

No. We know that Bent and Cronin are ahead of Denis Buckley. Does that count?

When the Wolfhounds team is named next week we'll get a better idea of where people stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tommyteetoes

cannot wait for the 6 nations to start, for any NH team to win the world cup, you would imagine they have to take the grand slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Thanks for asking the question I was afraid to ask! I'd forgotten all about him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Thanks for asking the question I was afraid to ask! I'd forgotten all about him!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement