Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Interestingly British and Irish Lion, Paul Wallace, has joined Munster's scrum coach in criticism of Barnes' refereeing of the scrums. Both agree that Haymans was going straight to ground.

In my opinion, Kilcoyne did brilliantly to adjust his technique to ensure that Barnes realised that Haymans was at fault. Two scrummaging experts have commented on the issue, and both agree with my assessment.

Or your parroting their assessment? You could technically say that all professional props are expert scrummagers. But that doesn't mean they know it all, hence why some are better than others.

I actually quite like Kilcoyne. I don't think his scrummaging is good enough yet tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Jesus, can we not have any sort of constructive criticism of Munster players?

"constructive criticism" like declaring views of others as moronic?

and of course, such "constructive criticism" of other players is always accepted by their supporters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

No constructive criticism of munster players?

Sorry now but Munster fans are a minority on the board. Our players get just as much criticism and a bit of hyper analysis too IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Or your parroting their assessment?

The assessment of 2 utterly unbiased commentators. Oh wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

No constructive criticism of munster players?

Sorry now but Munster fans are a minority on the board. Our players get just as much criticism and a bit of hyper analysis too IMO

Post edited.

• Advertisement

That's possibly true, but it's the utter refusal of a minority of that minority to entertain any such criticism that is the problem.

That's possibly true, but it's the utter refusal of a minority of that minority to entertain any such criticism that is the problem.

Not sure I'm seeing that though. I mean Kilcoyne isn't the strongest scrummager, but he's no "liability" either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Not sure I'm seeing that though. I mean Kilcoyne isn't the strongest scrummager, but he's no "liability" either

Liability maybe not, but he's been involved in so many messy scrums recently his technique is clearly not stable and if Cronin is a better scrummager (as it appears from what little ive seen) it won't take him long to move ahead unless Killer works at it. He can't keep getting the ref on his wrong side and giving up field position in games as important as Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

but he's no "liability" either

He has been pinged by Ref's in his last four maybe five games resulting in two yellow cards.

Really?

MugMugs wrote: »
    He has been pinged by Ref's in his last four maybe five games resulting in two yellow cards.

Really?

His yellow card against Leinster was not because of scrummaging

He's not a liability. It's just hyperbole of the highest order really . Munster's scrum has been excellent all season and he has been our first choice loosehead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

There is a difference between being unaccepting of valid criticism and arguing unfair criticism based on the common board opinion. I've argued that Killer performed well against Haymans and have cited two scrum experts who share the same opinion.

The use of words like "liability" don't help any sort of debate, but when you concede three penalties at the first three scrums (or whatever the count was), then something needs to be done. Yeah, Kilcoyne could go down the road of trying to cheat his way out of trouble, as suggested by MS above, or his scrum coach can make excuses and blame the cheating tight-head, but I'd much rather they both work on his scrummaging because if he can bring that up to match his ability in the loose, he'll be close to the complete package.

There is a difference between being unaccepting of valid criticism and arguing unfair criticism based on the common board opinion. I've argued that Killer performed well against Haymans and have cited two scrum experts who share the same opinion.

You mean the Munster scrum coach and Munster native Paul Wallace?

If the Toulon scrum coach and Carl Hayman's mam came out and said Kilcoyne was at fault, would you accept that as gospel?

The use of words like "liability" don't help any sort of debate, but when you concede three penalties at the first three scrums (or whatever the count was), then something needs to be done. Yeah, Kilcoyne could go down the road of trying to cheat his way out of trouble, as suggested by MS above, or his scrum coach can make excuses and blame the cheating tight-head, but I'd much rather they both work on his scrummaging because if he can bring that up to match his ability in the loose, he'll be close to the complete package.

Something was done. Killer adjusted his technique/body position which allowed Barnes to single out Haymans as the offender. He was on the verge of obtained a yellow card, but he managed to adjust and win the referees interpretation. You can't ask for more from a scrummager.

If the Toulon scrum coach and Carl Hayman's mam came out and said Kilcoyne was at fault, would you accept that as gospel?

are you for real?

you give out about an inability to accept criticism and then decide that anyone with any sort of Munster connection cannot be honest!

Paul Wallace is one of the most respected analysts around and was one of the top props of his time...to dismiss his views cause he is from Cork is extremely petty

would you dismiss any views he has of Leinster players seeing as he played for them too?

Yeah I don't see why his opinion should be ignored because he's from Munster

His yellow card against Leinster was not because of scrummaging

He's not a liability. It's just hyperbole of the highest order really . Munster's scrum has been excellent all season and he has been our first choice loosehead

He was pinged for his scrum (as was Ross) consistently throughout that game.

Was he not carded for his scrummaging for the Reds next game too?

It just seems to me at the moment that Killer is a common denominator with Refs and scrums.

Something was done.

exactly

this happens quite regularly in rugby whereby the Ref seems to be making calls on what he perceives to be the problem...sometimes inaccurately

the player then needs to adjust...even if not in the wrong

I have seen this at the highest levels with the top players....Ref interpretation of the scrum/front row is an ongoing issue

He was pinged for his scrum (as was Ross) consistently throughout that game.

Was he not carded for his scrummaging for the Reds next game too?

It just seems to me at the moment that Killer is a common denominator with Refs and scrums.

Nope.

I can only work with the available information. Even Barnes admitted being wrong when he stated that he was giving Haymans the benefit of the doubt.

If Penney/Wallace didn't believe that Kilcoyne was in the right, they wouldn't have commented on it - simple as that. I am offering the information of scrummaging experts to substantiate my opinion. You are doing nothing but poo-pooing my argument without offering anything substantial in return.

• Advertisement

Nope.

Ultimate Rugby says he was carded along with the Toulose 3, Montes.

Really?

Ultimate Rugby says he was carded along with the Toulose 3, Montes.

Really?

He was carded, but not for some sort of inferior scrummaging display. we were well on top of Toulouse in that department

Right.

Allow me to lay it out.

Killers bbeen coming to the attention of pretty much every ref he has played for in the past few games.

His scrum being the main culprit.

Killer is becoming a liability as a result of the above.

Right.

Allow me to lay it out.

Killers bbeen coming to the attention of pretty much every ref he has played for in the past few games.

His scrum being the main culprit.

Killer is becoming a liability as a result of the above.

lol. I'm done in this tbh.

As I've said before it's not the strongest part of his game but not ever LH is a destructive scrummager. he's in no way a liability and using the last few games he has played to somehow prove that is hilarious

he's in no way a liability and using the last few games he has played to somehow prove that is hilarious
    You're only as good as your last game.

I'll admit that I only really watch Munster toward the end of the season or the odd HC game but I've just seen nothing but issues with him since I've started.

I'm sure he's fantastic when I'm not looking. :rolleyes:

I'll admit that I only really watch Munster toward the end of the season or the odd HC game but I've just seen nothing but issues with him since I've started.

So you admit only really watching him in the odd game over the last few weeks?

Maybe you shouldn't be making such black and white statements about him as a player so?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Of all aspects of the game, scrummaging is the one area, more than any other, where you can't take all your information from such a small sample range.

If you're not watching him consistently throughout the season, you completely undermine your argument.

For the record, I think there are issues with his scrummaging but he gets away with it, turning it into a coin toss and winning as many penalties as he loses (he probably wins more, to be honest). Scrums are semi-regularly a mess with him in them but that does not equate to a liability.

Buer wrote: »
    Of all aspects of the game, scrummaging is the one area, more than any other, where you can't take all your information from such a small sample range.

If you're not watching him consistently throughout the season, you completely undermine your argument.

For the record, I think there are issues with his scrummaging but he gets away with it, turning it into a coin toss and winning as many penalties as he loses (he probably wins more, to be honest). Scrums are semi-regularly a mess with him in them but that does not equate to a liability.

this

Yeah I don't see why his opinion should be ignored because he's from Munster

I'm not saying it should be ignored at all but in no way should it outweigh the opinion of the referee.

Wayne Barnes was on the spot. Paul Wallace was at home on the couch. Who had the better viewpoint on which prop was infringing?

• Advertisement

Two experts that happen to be his agent and his coach. Come on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement