Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Just curious as to who you think is the stinge here?
    Both of them?
    Or him?

Either of them tbh! Her because she just had a fella propose to her and would be a nice thank you... or him because it would be a nice romantic thing to do after she said yes to getting engaged.

I just think paying for things separately is a thing you do when out having lunch with your friends and I found it stingy and a bit odd after having a romantic meal and getting engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Either of them tbh! Her because she just had a fella propose to her and would be a nice thank you... or him because it would be a nice romantic thing to do after she said yes to getting engaged.

I just think paying for things separately is a thing you do when out having lunch with your friends and I found it stingy and a bit odd after having a romantic meal and getting engaged.

Maybe he is training her to be exactly like him so they will end up as bad as the other and become the stinger's

Stingiest thing's thread(op for R&R access)
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes the thread title author would be a bit stingy with apostrophes.

How to use an apostrophe correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I'd say the majority of Irish people are very good at managing their money

The majority are hopeless, buying thrash, wasting it on drink and tobacco, then they say they are broke when the truth is most are borderline alcoholics or shopoholics with women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes the thread title author would be a bit stingy with apostrophes.

How to use an apostrophe correctly

Few added to make you happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Fricking hell- whats with the thread title?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Fricking hell- whats with the thread title?

Some idiot was moaning about punctuation in the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Can't win:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Some idiot was moaning about punctuation in the thread title.

He's possessive about his apostrophes and stingy with his whinge. It's a hard life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My Aunt had a recent house guest, an acquaintance that they know from holidays (a neighbouring apartment). At some point my aunt said the usual Irish line, you should visit us some time in Ireland...

The email arrived 2-3 weeks ahead of the visit letting them know she would arrive on a certain date (this was the first mention of her actually planning to visit), she was coming over to stay with them for a week.. not just a drop in while she was here on holiday.

When she arrived they had to collect her from the airport (she was not renting a car), since she was not renting a car they also had to drive her to all the places she wanted to go (Titanic centre, Glendalough, Avoca etc..) and pay her admission in the places that charged. They went out for dinner on the final night.... and had to pay for hers also, she made no offer to cover her own bill. In total my aunt reckoned it cost them around 600e having her over for the week.

She bought them a christmas pudding on the last day as a thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

mloc123 wrote: »
    My Aunt had a recent house guest, an acquaintance that they know from holidays (a neighbouring apartment). At some point my aunt said the usual Irish line, you should visit us some time in Ireland...

The email arrived 2-3 weeks ahead of the visit letting them know she would arrive on a certain date (this was the first mention of her actually planning to visit), she was coming over to stay with them for a week.. not just a drop in while she was here on holiday.

When she arrived they had to collect her from the airport (she was not renting a car), since she was not renting a car they also had to drive her to all the places she wanted to go (Titanic centre, Glendalough, Avoca etc..) and pay her admission in the places that charged. They went out for dinner on the final night.... and had to pay for hers also, she made no offer to cover her own bill. In total my aunt reckoned it cost them around 600e having her over for the week.

Your aunts a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Your aunts a fool.
    This!

People like this boil my blood, both the stinger and the idiot paying for them!

Sounds exactly how things go for my in-laws.

They have over the years taken in so many random Germans they didn't even know.

Their sons would agree with someone coming over say nothing and they would tell them oh such and such are coming over to stay. They on different occasions would collect and then have to do everything for them and with them.

One even destroyed the indestructible front door that cost a fortune as they couldn't understand how to turn a key if the door was locked.

Bent out of shape big time. Not the key.., the whole door and never closed properly after.

These people would pay for nothing, not even shampoo or toothpaste....

They would use what was in the house.

If there was drink it was not safe.

They would be chauffeured around, pay nothing in or towards anything, breakfast, lunch or dinner and then look for to come back.

They would text and tell the son oh we loved been over and are looking to come again.

Eh no Yee can fook right off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Your aunt deserves to be a pauper. People like that don’t deserve to have any money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Maybe he is training her to be exactly like him so they will end up as bad as the other and become the stinger's

Maybe she had strong views on equality and he didn't dare pay for her share even on that occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lia_lia wrote: »

I'd imagine they suit each other perfectly, both tight as fook for allowing that carry on. I'd expect them to split the fuel bill for the wedding car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I'd imagine they suit each other perfectly, both tight as fook for allowing that carry on. I'd expect them to split the fuel bill for the wedding car.

And if your man had paid you'd have people complaining that she's a stinge for not paying when he's just proposed. And if she'd paid you'd have people saying he's a stinge for not paying after proposing to her.

For ****'s sake let people pay however they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Glendalough AND the Titanic Center ffs?

That reminds me of when I had a house in Galway years ago, the landlord let a couple of French girls stay there for a month in Summer, they were alright apart from running the shower 50 times a day. On the last day they came into the living room on a Saturday afternoon to say goodbye, they asked us for a lift to the airport, we said we didnt even know you could fly to France from Galways little airfield, then we looked at their boarding passes and they were flying from T2 in Dublin in 2 hours time! They weren't happy when we explained the distances involved or that we wouldnt be making a 6 hour round trip as a favour, foreigners must really think Ireland is just a little island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Thargor wrote: »

That reminds me of when I had a house in Galway years ago, the landlord let a couple of French girls stay there for a month in Summer, they were alright apart from running the shower 50 times a day. On the last day they came into the living room on a Saturday afternoon to say goodbye, they asked us for a lift to the airport, we said we didnt even know you could fly to France from Galways little airfield, then we looked at their boarding passes and they were flying from T2 in Dublin in 2 hours time! They weren't happy when we explained the distances involved or that we wouldnt be making a 6 hour round trip as a favour, foreigners must really think Ireland is just a little island.

Unless you're really good friends with somebody and you know that they're not a stinge, then never invite them to stay while in Ireland. Now if you're returning a favour, that's fine. However, it is a massive pain in the hole hanging out with people and visiting full as **** tourist attractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

OhHiMark wrote: »
    For ****'s sake let people pay however they want to.
    Im all for splitting the bill or taking turns on normal occasions but this was different. This was a moment were splitting the bill took away from a very special moment. On such a day who actually pays the bill shouldn't even be given a 2nd thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Greyfox wrote: »
    Im all for splitting the bill or taking turns on normal occasions but this was different. This was a moment were splitting the bill took away from a very special moment. On such a day who actually pays the bill shouldn't even be given a 2nd thought.

But how is it stinge. They paid the bill. If they were expecting a reduction or something because the got engaged, that would be a different story.

As you say, it doesn't matter who paid the bill on such a special day..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Thargor wrote: »

A few years ago I went on a tour of Trim Castle. At the end of the tour a group of French tourists out of nowhere asked if anyone was heading towards Summerhill (10 minute drive from Trim) and if they could all get a lift. Asking complete strangers, how forward can you get. A taxi between them would have been **** all. I don't think anyone took them up on their brazen request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

pablo128 wrote: »
    But how is it stinge. They paid the bill. If they were expecting a reduction or something because the got engaged, that would be a different story.

As you say, it doesn't matter who paid the bill on such a special day..
    Ah here, seriously? They were celebrating getting engaged, not becoming exclusive. Makes you wonder if they split the cost of the ring :pac: They're going to be married. Married couples can't be at that sh!te of each pays their own separately. What happens if she gets pregnant and is on maternity leave with only government top up? Is she still supposed to pay her way by dipping into savings?

We took my sister out for her graduation in October and split the bill, leaving her out. No one broke out the calculator in case they paid €5 more than they consumed. And I'm not flush either but it was my sister's day, so I budgeted accordingly. There are just some occasions when totting up who owes what is inappropriate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I bet your uncle paid as well. more fool him.

He did. But he really plays the host. Fair enough letting people stay in your house, that's fine. But when my parents were over with them, they paid for all of the host's meals, did some shopping, even cleaned the house and walked their dogs while they were in work.

You know, what normal people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Unless you're really good friends with somebody and you know that they're not a stinge, then never invite them to stay while in Ireland. Now if you're returning a favour, that's fine. However, it is a massive pain in the hole hanging out with people and visiting full as **** tourist attractions.

I think the problem is... Irish people say "you must come some time" as a throw away remark. If somebody said it to you, you know they don't mean it... maybe if they said it 3-4 times you might think about it. Foreigners on the other hand take it as an actual invite.

I think the problem is... Irish people say "you must come some time" as a throw away remark. If somebody said it to you, you know they don't mean it... maybe if they said it 3-4 times you might think about it. Foreigners on the other hand take it as an actual invite.

I've tried it with so many good looking women it has never worked.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,058 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

devlinio wrote: »
    He did. But he really plays the host. Fair enough letting people stay in your house, that's fine. But when my parents were over with them, they paid for all of the host's meals, did some shopping, even cleaned the house and walked their dogs while they were in work.

You know, what normal people do.

I have a friend in costal Portugal who owns a holiday home there too. She told me go use it for a week last summer as it was free. She was tied up with work that week so we would meet up only for an hour a day so I entertained myself and relied on buses or walking to get around and do my own thing.
    I stayed in her rental a whole week and I came laden with gifts (proper stuff not tourist tat) for her, her husband and child. I left 100 euro in an envelope in the house when leaving too even though she insisted no way did she want anything.
    I walked out the door after doing a thorough clean of the place, floors washed, towels washed and on the clothes horse etc.
    I also replaced the things I had used like toilet paper, sunscreen, bottled water etc. and left the place immaculate.
    Perfect little house guest I am!

My stinge: it's actually a contradiction but when you're in a pub and someone who you are not in a round with gets up to buy themselves a drink and asks others in close proximity if they'd like something from the bar.
    You know they're only saying it to be polite but I'd rather they just said nothing.
    Next time I think I'll catch them out and say yes please a double gin and a packet of dry roasted.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/12/30/mum-found-secret-santa-gift-spending-limit-response-left-people-speechless/

TL;DR. Woman adds up cost of secret Santa present, realises Santa spent 20 less than budget, asks for the difference in cash, extends ask to a $120 tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

sullivlo wrote: »
    https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/12/30/mum-found-secret-santa-gift-spending-limit-response-left-people-speechless/

TL;DR. Woman adds up cost of secret Santa present, realises Santa spent 20 less than budget, asks for the difference in cash, extends ask to a $120 tablet.

I do wonder if these things are made up as clickbait, like the periodic bridezilla stories that come out in the media. No names can be given so it’s something that’s easy to fake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I do wonder if these things are made up as clickbait, like the periodic bridezilla stories that come out in the media. No names can be given so it’s something that’s easy to fake.
    Possibly, but I know people in RL who would bitch about how much/little someone spent on a present for them because they spent more. I also know people who chance their arm in asking for expensive presents.

Advertisement