Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

sullivlo wrote: »
    Possibly, but I know people in RL who would bitch about how much/little someone spent on a present for them because they spent more. I also know people who chance their arm in asking for expensive presents.

There’s chancing your arm and there’s that!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

mloc123 wrote: »
    I think the problem is... Irish people say "you must come some time" as a throw away remark. If somebody said it to you, you know they don't mean it... maybe if they said it 3-4 times you might think about it. Foreigners on the other hand take it as an actual invite.

Or invite themselves. On another forum / medium a Belgian blithely assumed that he'd be welcome to stay if he turned up on my doorstep.
    I put him right, pronto.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I've tried it with so many good looking women it has never worked.....

Probably because you came immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭holliehobbie

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Did he know one of ye in particular? Any chance he had mentioned to them about making some form of gesture as thanks and that person told them "Sure why would ya. You're grand" as can be our style while simultaneously thinking they should.

Very good mates with one of us as he had lived in Canada for a few years.

As for your suggestion, that is possible but I doubt it.
    Years ago we had a Canadian staying with us for a week. He was driven all around Dublin and wined and dined by us. He bought fish and chips from the local takeaway for us as a thank you! And he managed to break our electric shower!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have a friend in costal Portugal who owns a holiday home there too. She told me go use it for a week last summer as it was free. She was tied up with work that week so we would meet up only for an hour a day so I entertained myself and relied on buses or walking to get around and do my own thing.
    I stayed in her rental a whole week and I came laden with gifts (proper stuff not tourist tat) for her, her husband and child. I left 100 euro in an envelope in the house when leaving too even though she insisted no way did she want anything.
    I walked out the door after doing a thorough clean of the place, floors washed, towels washed and on the clothes horse etc.
    I also replaced the things I had used like toilet paper, sunscreen, bottled water etc. and left the place immaculate.
    Perfect little house guest I am!.

Aren't you just fantastic!
    Perhaps you meant to post in the "look how wonderful I am", thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I have a friend in costal Portugal who owns a holiday home there too. She told me go use it for a week last summer as it was free. She was tied up with work that week so we would meet up only for an hour a day so I entertained myself and relied on buses or walking to get around and do my own thing.
    I stayed in her rental a whole week and I came laden with gifts (proper stuff not tourist tat) for her, her husband and child. I left 100 euro in an envelope in the house when leaving too even though she insisted no way did she want anything.
    I walked out the door after doing a thorough clean of the place, floors washed, towels washed and on the clothes horse etc.
    I also replaced the things I had used like toilet paper, sunscreen, bottled water etc. and left the place immaculate.
    Perfect little house guest I am!.

Aren't you just fantastic!
    Perhaps you meant to post in the "look how wonderful I am", thread.

We need a HumbleBrags thread.

Also, there's a thread on Reddit called Choosing Beggars that people here would love

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

rawn wrote: »

Also, there's a thread on Reddit called Choosing Beggars that people here would love

Rawn certainly not stingy with the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Choosing beggars is fücking hilarious
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ChoosingBeggars/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

sullivlo wrote: »

Rawn certainly not stingy with the posts.

Damn phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Sounds exactly how things go for my in-laws.

They have over the years taken in so many random Germans they didn't even know.

Their sons would agree with someone coming over say nothing and they would tell them oh such and such are coming over to stay. They on different occasions would collect and then have to do everything for them and with them.

One even destroyed the indestructible front door that cost a fortune as they couldn't understand how to turn a key if the door was locked.

Bent out of shape big time. Not the key.., the whole door and never closed properly after.

These people would pay for nothing, not even shampoo or toothpaste....

They would use what was in the house.

If there was drink it was not safe.

They would be chauffeured around, pay nothing in or towards anything, breakfast, lunch or dinner and then look for to come back.

They would text and tell the son oh we loved been over and are looking to come again.

Eh no Yee can fook right off.
    i know someone who met some guy on holiday. My friend is very sociable and he enjoys meeting different nationalities. I cannot recall if my friend stayed with him but he gave him his home address. this european guy was "if i am in your country i visit you".

He turned up one friday night at ten pm expecting to stay but the father, a cantankerous crank if ever there was one, put him going in no uncertain way. It is a true story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Thargor wrote: »
    Glendalough AND the Titanic Center ffs?

That reminds me of when I had a house in Galway years ago, the landlord let a couple of French girls stay there for a month in Summer, they were alright apart from running the shower 50 times a day. On the last day they came into the living room on a Saturday afternoon to say goodbye, they asked us for a lift to the airport, we said we didnt even know you could fly to France from Galways little airfield, then we looked at their boarding passes and they were flying from T2 in Dublin in 2 hours time! They weren't happy when we explained the distances involved or that we wouldnt be making a 6 hour round trip as a favour, foreigners must really think Ireland is just a little island.

My friends mother runs a BnB down in West Cork.

During the summer she had some middle aged Italians staying. They were renting a car and touring around the place. Anyway one evening they came back to the BnB pretty late. They were very irate and cranky and woke up my friends mom.

Turns out they had driven from Ballydehob in West Cork all the way across to Glendalough in ****ing Wicklow. They didn't realize the distance and the amount of petrol this journey would consume. They were bawling that they would have no petrol left in the car for the rest of their stay and demanded my friends mother to fill the tank for them. She pretty much told them to **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Mozzeltoff wrote: »

During the summer she had some middle aged Italians staying. They were renting a car and touring around the place. Anyway one evening they came back to the BnB pretty late. They were very irate and cranky and woke up my friends mom.

Turns out they had driven from Ballydehob in West Cork all the way across to Glendalough in ****ing Wicklow. They didn't realize the distance and the amount of petrol this journey would consume. They were bawling that they would have no petrol left in the car for the rest of their stay and demanded my friends mother to fill the tank for them. She pretty much told them to **** off.

Morons. Driving through a mountain range is going to burn serious juice

Morons. Driving through a mountain range is going to burn serious juice

Never mind driving halfway across the country before driving through said mountain range :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

remember we have lots of idiot's going on foreign holidays to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

They were bawling that they would have no petrol left in the car for the rest of their stay and demanded my friends mother to fill the tank for them. She pretty much told them to **** off.

What argument did they put up for her having to pay for their petrol?! Her B&B was in the wrong place?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Maybe but it takes a special kind of idiot to demand money of the owner of the b&b/ hotel/ guesthouse they are staying at because a journey they made cost them more than they expected. Being on a on a foreign holiday can never be justified as an excuse for the likes of that idiotic behaviour, its just basic common sense. For some reason the story reminds me of this tune though...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tIIo4VH4Ow

Ah few thick Italian fukwits run out of gasolina and now they are demanding money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is this dry January ****e just a posh way of saying "I'm ****ing broke and can't afford too buy a drink" ???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is this dry January ****e just a posh way of saying "I'm ****ing broke and can't afford too buy a drink" ???

Perhaps, however I notice the "I'm pretentious and look how I'm doing" side of it much more visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This one I came across on Youtube

https://youtu.be/PKq7Bof_6gw

(first few minutes) The 'Irish police' tagline is just click bait tbh

Cheapskate tourist looks and gets cup of hot water for free from small local shop - then gloats that she didn't have to buy a coffee

Apparently the person in the shop didn't charge because there was no set charge for a cup of boiling water.

Your one seems to have little regard for the costs of a small shop just that she scored something for nothing

Everyone did the same ****e there wouldn't be many small shops in the country.

Most likley has a book titled "Ireland on $5.00 a day" or similar ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Witnessed a fella in work filling a coke bottle from one of the soap dispensers in the jacks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hard to get clean Coke these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Witnessed a fella in work filling a coke bottle from one of the soap dispensers in the jacks

Sweet Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

taking wages "in kind"? lol

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Rented a room years back Lady landlord live in. She used her old panties for drying the dishes and cleaning kitchen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The coat hanger was robbed off the back of the door in the bathroom in work- as were the lightbulbs (which had recently been changed to LED units. Quite think its time for someone to enquire who is doing home renovations......... They left one lightbulb in the gents on each floor over the course of a day- good planners whoever the hell they are. Feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,075 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The coat hanger was robbed off the back of the door in the bathroom in work- as were the lightbulbs (which had recently been changed to LED units. Quite think its time for someone to enquire who is doing home renovations......... They left one lightbulb in the gents on each floor over the course of a day- good planners whoever the hell they are. Feckers.
    Sure don't students all rob the college toilet roll?!
    This is just a step further!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Rented a room years back Lady landlord live in. She used her old panties for drying the dishes and cleaning kitchen.

Must have been fine big ones, can't see how some of the "modern" one's could be useful in this way. Forward thinking lady, recycling and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

That reminds me of the time I found myself on the weird side of YouTube watching videos of people who use "family cloth". It's where they cut up old tea towels, sheets, clothes etc and use them as toilet roll. They keep the soiled peaces of cloth in a bucket and wash and re-use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    That reminds me of the time I found myself on the weird side of YouTube watching videos of people who use "family cloth". It's where they cut up old tea towels, sheets, clothes etc and use them as toilet roll. They keep the soiled peaces of cloth in a bucket and wash and re-use them.

useful tip there for after Brexit.

Advertisement