Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

I'm confused. That's exactly what Paddy Cow said in the first instance...i.e. "M&S not LIDL" when he claimed that you can feed that many people for 180 snots.

You then said "Really?"

I'm now saying "yes, really".

Anyway, stinginess: Back when I smoked, a Scottish lad I worked with would never have smokes on him or would always have just run out. I've seen him pull out an empty box and then put it back in his pocket when given a cigarette by somebody, only to pull it out again half an hour later as if he'd only just realised he's run out.

I lost patience one night and said " here, I'm only back from holidays so I happen to have plenty on me at the moment. So here's a full packet. But that's it, I'm never giving you another smoke again, ever. Deal?"

I reckon it saved me a fortune in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

You'd easily feed 18 people Xmas dinner for €200. Easily.

Whole turkeys are on sale Xmas week (when most people have already bought one) for under a score, so 2 = €40. Lets be generous, and say you need 3 for €60.

Full ham is, what, €40? two of them bring us up to €140 total.

That leaves €60 quid on veg, stuffing, gravy, couple of puddings etc.

Xmas dinner for two at home can be done for €20, without skimping on quality. Ramping that up to 18 people works out cheaper, per person, due to economies of scale.

Having said all that, there's no way I'd be peeling shpuds for 18 people.

You must have quite a kitchen if you could roast 3 turkeys in one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Graces7 wrote: »
    Really? When did you last shop please?
    I worked in a B&B looking after 20 teenagers who were attending private school for the Leaving Cert. I cooked for them everyday and did a massive shop once a week in Lidl. I cooked the full christmas dinner for all 20 of them and it cost nowhere near €180 because I know how to shop sensibly. I worked there for years so I'm very familiar with cooking for 18+ people ;)

When cooking for that many people do it like a restaurant - cook and slice the turkey and ham before hand. Then you put ham, stuffing and cover with turkey on trays. Cover with tinfoil and reheat in the oven before dinner.

The woman managed to produce duck, turkey, ham and pork. I doubt she had it all cooking simultaneously just before serving unless she had unlimited ovens herself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I worked in a B&B looking after 20 teenagers who were attending private school for the Leaving Cert. I cooked for them everyday and did a massive shop once a week in Lidl. I cooked the full christmas dinner for all 20 of them and it cost nowhere near €180 because I know how to shop sensibly. I worked there for years so I'm very familiar with cooking for 18+ people ;)

You dont get it.. this dinner was not about the kind of Chrsitmas meal YOU are talking about. A very different meal altogether. Gourmet food.

• Advertisement

Not the dinner she served. Luxury.. gourmet. cooked for them too.
    That was her choice. She shouldn't gone luxury if she couldn't afford it. She didn't give her guests a choice either. She could've said €10 + BYOB for regular christmas or €55 for all inclusive gourmet. I bet you most people would've taken the €10 option. A couple spending €110 to sit down at a family christmas is ridiculous.

You dont get it.. this dinner was not about the kind of Chrsitmas meal YOU are talking about. A very different meal altogether. Gourmet food.
    I do get it. She offered to host christmas dinner. Her husband is a gourmet chef so they decided to go overboard. Realising how over budget they had gone, they shamed their family into paying. She never told people from the outset there would be such extravagance or associated costs. She even says herself some of the family weren't happy. I bet they never agree to go to a dinner hosted by her again! She shafted her family plain and simple.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Duck, ham and pork?

That's not gourmet food. She's not exactly giving them all scallops, lobster and caviar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,887 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think this thread proves two things.

1. There are a LOT of stingy people in Ireland.

&

2. People will argue over absolutely anything on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I do get it. She offered to host christmas dinner. Her husband is a gourmet chef so they decided to go overboard. Realising how over budget they had gone, they shamed their family into paying. She never told people from the outset there would be such extravagance or associated costs. She even says herself some of the family weren't happy. I bet they never agree to go to a dinner hosted by her again! She shafted her family plain and simple.

And i hope to God they charge her for everythign.She would get nothing for free again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Quazzie wrote: »

1. There are a LOT of stingy people in Ireland.

&

There should be an option to unfollow untill all this blows over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

If she also charged the children, she bagged €990. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

What the hell do you think professional kitchens do? An oven per turkey? Ha ha haaa

There is a thing called preparation... and reheating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Quazzie wrote: »

No they won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

amcalester wrote: »
    No they won’t.

I beg to differ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Don't feel like paying for your parking? Lets hope you never come across this guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

When I was a young child, for Christmas my Aunt (Mums sister in law) got me and my younger brothers shampoo and body wash for Christmas. She got these free in the Chemist she worked in and spent a fortune on her side of the family.

She also disconnected her landline, so my aunt in the states can't call her. When she wants free accommodation for a holiday though, she will get back in contact. Last time she and her husband were over visiting my aunt, they let them pay for everything and didn't even buy them dinner to say thanks for hosting them on the last night. Instead, when my aunt's husband (the one who lives in the states) pulled out his credit card, she goes to him "Ah, are you treating us to dinner".

WTF have you no shame, letting your hosts pay for your dinner, and never putting your hands in your own pocket.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Don't feel like paying for your parking? Lets hope you never come across this guy.

I don't think I've ever seen a post with 502 thanks on it!

Not in the same league- but I was in McDonalds in Supervalu Adamstown yesterday- and the woman in front of me had McDonalds vouchers valid for McDonalds Liffey Valley- and was busy scribbling out the 'Liffey Valley' on them- to try and use them in Adamstown. Sigh. The checkout assistant (the Manager) felt sorry for her, and over-rode the system. I'd not have done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Aunt and Uncle (well enough off) arrived up to my mum's house in the run up to Christmas with all their Christmas cards for our side of the family. Apparently they thought that the cost of posting them was too much (which it is tbf) so they expected my mother to pass them out to everyone for her "when she was out and about visiting people". Oh the stinge! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Probably more a case of not thinking stuff through but we've had the "I left my phone charger in your house, can you post it to me in France?"

Ffs, it costs me the same to post it back as it would cost you to replace it! Seems stingy to point that out, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Probably more a case of not thinking stuff through but we've had the "I left my phone charger in your house, can you post it to me in France?"

Ffs, it costs me the same to post it back as it would cost you to replace it! Seems stingy to point that out, though.

What charger..... Simple answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I used to work in a restaurant in a hotel. One night I was working there this couple were having dinner. Yer man seemed very nervous. Anyway just before they got their desserts he proposed! His girlfriend said yes and was crying happy tears and everything so they were happy out.

At the end of the meal both of them came up to the bar to pay. I gave himself the bill and he said "can we pay separately". :eek: So they paid separately. It wasn't even the case of splitting the bill evenly, they paid for each item they had separately. Now I'm all for equality and everything but come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I used to work in a restaurant in a hotel. One night I was working there this couple were having dinner. Yer man seemed very nervous. Anyway just before they got their desserts he proposed! His girlfriend said yes and was crying happy tears and everything so they were happy out.

At the end of the meal both of them came up to the bar to pay. I gave himself the bill and he said "can we pay separately". :eek: So they paid separately. It wasn't even the case of splitting the bill evenly, they paid for each item they had separately. Now I'm all for equality and everything but come on!

Just curious as to who you think is the stinge here?
    Both of them?
    Or him?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Both of them?
    Or him?

Him of course- how dare he not cover the bill- he did just ask for her hand in marriage after all- its a bad way for the marriage if he isn't going to be the providor......... How dare he! :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I cannot stand stingy people. Being mean is not a good character trait in my book.

There's one thing being careful and prudent with money, which is good - IMO so many Irish people are dreadful at managing money well and that is why services such as MABS are a godsend - but people who are total skinflints do not make for good company.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I cannot stand stingy people. Being mean is not a good character trait in my book.

There's one thing being careful and prudent with money, which is good - IMO so many Irish people are dreadful at managing money well and that is why services such as MABS are a godsend - but people who are total skinflints do not make for good company.

Is not stinge to some extent in the eyes of the beholder? maybe there are situations where folk appear stingy as they do not have the means to pay more?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭pgj2015

devlinio wrote: »
    When I was a young child, for Christmas my Aunt (Mums sister in law) got me and my younger brothers shampoo and body wash for Christmas. She got these free in the Chemist she worked in and spent a fortune on her side of the family.

She also disconnected her landline, so my aunt in the states can't call her. When she wants free accommodation for a holiday though, she will get back in contact. Last time she and her husband were over visiting my aunt, they let them pay for everything and didn't even buy them dinner to say thanks for hosting them on the last night. Instead, when my aunt's husband (the one who lives in the states) pulled out his credit card, she goes to him "Ah, are you treating us to dinner".

WTF have you no shame, letting your hosts pay for your dinner, and never putting your hands in your own pocket.

I bet your uncle paid as well. more fool him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

JupiterKid wrote: »

I'd say the majority of Irish people are very good at managing their money

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Both of them?
    Or him?

I'd expect a 'i'll pay this time you get the next or send me the money' system[with either person paying on this occasion] rather than paying like friends do for each item. If they're getting married you'd think the finances would be merging. or that they would have other things to think about

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I'd say the majority of Irish people are very good at managing their money
    The 2008 credit crash would say otherwise :pac:

Advertisement