Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

A housemate had a mate from Canada over to visit. He stayed in Ireland about 10 days, of which about 3 or 4 of them days were spent staying with us.

Now I know the dynamics are different in other rented houses but there's a few housemates and we're all pretty close. There wasn't one thing left for us in return for his stay. Not as much as a box of chocolates. Considering he saved hundreds by staying with us I consider it miserable and bad manners.

I had heard before that Canadians were tight and this didn't help to get rid of the stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

NufcNavan wrote: »
    A housemate had a mate from Canada over to visit. He stayed in Ireland about 10 days, of which about 3 or 4 of them days were spent staying with us.

Now I know the dynamics are different in other rented houses but there's a few housemates and we're all pretty close. There wasn't one thing left for us in return for his stay. Not as much as a box of chocolates. Considering he saved hundreds by staying with us I consider it miserable and bad manners.

I had heard before that Canadians were tight and this didn't help to get rid of the stereotype.

Did he know one of ye in particular? Any chance he had mentioned to them about making some form of gesture as thanks and that person told them "Sure why would ya. You're grand" as can be our style while simultaneously thinking they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Did he know one of ye in particular? Any chance he had mentioned to them about making some form of gesture as thanks and that person told them "Sure why would ya. You're grand" as can be our style while simultaneously thinking they should.

Very good mates with one of us as he had lived in Canada for a few years.

As for your suggestion, that is possible but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Neighbours of mine is elderly. Her back garden is out of control and the ivy (as well as other plants) that grows over our adjoining garden wall is so wild and bushy now, the weight of it is in danger of toppling the wall. The sheer bulk of it also means I have to cut it back several a year, or the own flower beds in my garden are in permant shade. It pisses me off a bit, but hey, she is old and you want to be a good neighbour, right?

She has a young lad come over a few times a year to trim her hedges, rose bush pruning and whatnot in the front garden, but the back seems to be left to go wild. It has gone so wild now, I can no longer trim the overhang into my garden. I don't have the tools, or a high enough ladder to reach it safely.

Last week, I mentioned my concern to her about the wall coming down. I suggested she send her young lad in to me the next time he is over and he does a job on the overgrowth on my side of the wall. He duly showed up last week with a hedge trimmer and cut back a lot of the ivy. He was about to leave, but I told him I was expecting him to clear it up too. He did, but with a good bit of grumbling. I stood my ground as I told him he was still working on plants from her garden, not mine. Dunno what he said to yer woman when he went back into her, because she landed into me today with a bill for 40 quid purely for the work he did on my side of the wall. I told her to piss off. The cheek of her ! And me putting in hours and hours of work over the years to prune back bushes that she should be taking care of herself. Stingy cow !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

hobie21 wrote: »

I think she must have tacked on VAT, tips and a profit margin to get to 55 a head for a home cooked meal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

SuperS54 wrote: »
    I think she must have tacked on VAT, tips and a profit margin to get to 55 a head for a home cooked meal!

Ah but they got 4 meats and the biggest house available in the family.
    How high is that horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

SuperS54 wrote: »

I wonder is that price including or plus the 10% charge for groups over 10...

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I dont see the problem with bringing drink into the pub. I wouldnt do it myself because I have enough money and just couldnt be arsed with possibly being thrown out and made a show of and trying to sneakily drink it. But I wouldnt mind if my friend did it, drinking out is ****ing expensive, Id like to see my friends who are more on the skint side be able to go to a pub and get tipsy with their friends on a budget they can afford

• Registered Users Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

When I was in college, like every other person in the same situation as myself, we used to sneak naggins into clubs. It wasn't cos we were being stingey, it was cos we had no money! The way we saw it, we used to go into a club, buy one drink in there and top it up every so often with our own supply. Not stealing. It was always clubs too, never pubs really. If we went to a pub for the day, we bought cheap pints.

Nowadays, I wouldn't do it. Prefer pints anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Neighbours of mine is elderly. Her back garden is out of control and the ivy (as well as other plants) that grows over our adjoining garden wall is so wild and bushy now, the weight of it is in danger of toppling the wall. The sheer bulk of it also means I have to cut it back several a year, or the own flower beds in my garden are in permant shade. It pisses me off a bit, but hey, she is old and you want to be a good neighbour, right?

She has a young lad come over a few times a year to trim her hedges, rose bush pruning and whatnot in the front garden, but the back seems to be left to go wild. It has gone so wild now, I can no longer trim the overhang into my garden. I don't have the tools, or a high enough ladder to reach it safely.

Last week, I mentioned my concern to her about the wall coming down. I suggested she send her young lad in to me the next time he is over and he does a job on the overgrowth on my side of the wall. He duly showed up last week with a hedge trimmer and cut back a lot of the ivy. He was about to leave, but I told him I was expecting him to clear it up too. He did, but with a good bit of grumbling. I stood my ground as I told him he was still working on plants from her garden, not mine. Dunno what he said to yer woman when he went back into her, because she landed into me today with a bill for 40 quid purely for the work he did on my side of the wall. I told her to piss off. The cheek of her ! And me putting in hours and hours of work over the years to prune back bushes that she should be taking care of herself. Stingy cow !

Twas yourself that was the stings there dub.its your responsibility to trim the overhang into your side and it’s up to you to clear the growth half way back into the boundary wall even though they might be your neighbors plants.
    So when you suggested she send around the worker to your side which he duly did to cut it back and then you made him stay on longer to clear it up it’s you that should have paid him.its not their fault that you haven’t the tools to do the job.you basically hi jacked her employee to do a job you should have done yourself and then refused to pay.
    Doesn’t matter they are her plants or trees.your job to clear the boundry wall back to the half way point

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

If the old lady who owns the plants looked after them in the first place and prevented them from spilling into other peoples proprties then he wouldnt need to have that responsibility , I think it was cheeky of her to try and charge him

wakka12 wrote: »
    If the old lady who owns the plants looked after them in the first place and prevented them from spilling into other peoples proprties then he wouldnt need to have that responsibility , I think it was cheeky of her to try and charge him

Maybe she’s too old to be out after hedges and hasn’t much money so can only afford to hire the gardener when she has a few pounds.either way prouddub took her employee For the day to do work they should have done themselves and then refused to pay the bill and that’s after going extra hard on the worker to clean the place up and stuck the old woman with the bill.
    Prouddub also said they couldn’t do the job themselves because they hadn’t a ladder.you don’t need a ladder for picking cuttings off the ground and sweeping which they cojoled the young lad into doing.
    There’s only one stinge in that situation and it ain’t the lad doing the work or the old woman stuck with the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Maybe she’s too old to be out after hedges and hasn’t much money so can only afford to hire the gardener when she has a few pounds.either way prouddub took her employee For the day to do work they should have done themselves and then refused to pay the bill and that’s after going extra hard on the worker to clean the place up and stuck the old woman with the bill.
    Prouddub also said they couldn’t do the job themselves because they hadn’t a ladder.you don’t need a ladder for picking cuttings off the ground and sweeping which they cojoled the young lad into doing.
    There’s only one stinge in that situation and it ain’t the lad doing the work or the old woman stuck with the bill.

What a load of nonsense. Elderly or not, its the neighbours responsibility to ensure that adjacent properties are not inconvenienced. But ProudDub maintained it to a certain extent anyway. And if she can afford the young lad to come and look after the front of her house, so why not the back? So maybe that lazy boll!x could have prevented this in the first place by looking after the old woman?

I say this as someone who has a tree overhanging my neighbours yard and goes in and cleans up a lot at this time of year. They said they don't mind the mess, but I'd be embarrassed to expect them to clear up after me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Twas yourself that was the stings there dub.its your responsibility to trim the overhang into your side and it’s up to you to clear the growth half way back into the boundary wall even though they might be your neighbors plants.
    So when you suggested she send around the worker to your side which he duly did to cut it back and then you made him stay on longer to clear it up it’s you that should have paid him.its not their fault that you haven’t the tools to do the job.you basically hi jacked her employee to do a job you should have done yourself and then refused to pay.
    Doesn’t matter they are her plants or trees.your job to clear the boundry wall back to the half way point

The law says differently
    It's the plant or tree owners responsibility to keep them trimmed back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

18 guests @ €55 a head is €990! What the hell was she buying to justify charging that :eek:

What a load of nonsense. Elderly or not, its the neighbours responsibility to ensure that adjacent properties are not inconvenienced. But ProudDub maintained it to a certain extent anyway. And if she can afford the young lad to come and look after the front of her house, so why not the back? So maybe that lazy boll!x could have prevented this in the first place by looking after the old woman?

I say this as someone who has a tree overhanging my neighbours yard and goes in and cleans up a lot at this time of year. They said they don't mind the mess, but I'd be embarrassed to expect them to clear up after me

Once the branch crosses the halfway point of the boundary line the neighbors are entitled to cut it back to half way.
    What would happen if I had a tree overhanging your garden and I rambled into your back garden to clean it up and cut it back.its trespassing first off and if I fall off a ladder or trip and hurt the old back then on your property the sh1t could hit the fan.its each neighbors responsibility to look after their own property and cover any costs involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

A guy I work with told me the other day, if I'm ever calling in sick for a few days I 'may aswell stay out for the 2 weeks and claim the illness benefit, just fake symptoms to the doctor'

He's the same guy that started with me when I began, and has been out regularly for a week or two at a time, coming back with a different story of another dead relative each time. Exactly what we were warned not to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Once the branch crosses the halfway point of the boundary line the neighbors are entitled to cut it back to half way.
    What would happen if I had a tree overhanging your garden and I rambled into your back garden to clean it up and cut it back.its trespassing first off and if I fall off a ladder or trip and hurt the old back then on your property the sh1t could hit the fan.its each neighbors responsibility to look after their own property and cover any costs involved

Not really getting your point here, this has nothing to do with your perceived stinginess of ProudDub for asking their neighbour to sort out a hazard/ annoyance that is their responsibility as you say in your last sentence. As for the other extreme examples you give, this where being a good neighbour comes into it. For instance, I asked permission to enter my neighbours yard and wouldn't dream of taking an action against them if something happened to me

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

A guy I work with told me the other day, if I'm ever calling in sick for a few days I 'may aswell stay out for the 2 weeks and claim the illness benefit, just fake symptoms to the doctor'

He's the same guy that started with me when I began, and has been out regularly for a week or two at a time, coming back with a different story of another dead relative each time. Exactly what we were warned not to do!

He is playing the game.

• Advertisement

Not really getting your point here, this has nothing to do with your perceived stinginess of ProudDub for asking their neighbour to sort out a hazard/ annoyance that is their responsibility as you say in your last sentence. As for the other extreme examples you give, this where being a good neighbour comes into it. For instance, I asked permission to enter my neighbours yard and wouldn't dream of taking an action against them if something happened to me

It’s prouddubs responsibility to keep his side of the wall clean.be it by doing the work yourself or by paying a professional to do it.but not by “hiring” the neighbors worker to do their side and the clean up and then refusing to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

wakka12 wrote: »
    I dont see the problem with bringing drink into the pub. I wouldnt do it myself because I have enough money and just couldnt be arsed with possibly being thrown out and made a show of and trying to sneakily drink it. But I wouldnt mind if my friend did it, drinking out is ****ing expensive, Id like to see my friends who are more on the skint side be able to go to a pub and get tipsy with their friends on a budget they can afford

Sorry but no mon no fun...
    Think of it this way.
    If you were a woman and you couldn't afford to go to the hair salon for a colour and cut, you wouldn't turn up and accept the free cup of coffee, sit down with their magazines and log into their WIFI for a few hours and not purchase any of their services.
    You'd be told where to go.
    I don't see how a drinking establishment is any different.
    The landlord has extortionate rates, maybe rent, staff to pay, insurance, SKY connection.. I won't go on, you get the picture.
    How can you justify coming in with their hip flask getting the benefit of his heating, his SKY, his toilet facilities?
    Non paying customers also inflate the perception of actual customers so if say 25% of the pub had bottles in their bags, the landlord is still going to bring in staff to accommodate the actual number so the pub.
    If someone isn't happy with the pub prices or can't afford them, they always have the option of home entertainment with an off licence take out, friends over and console games or dvds.
    Like I said..no mon no fun.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I'd offer the choice of stump up or eat what you're given, and if nobody's prepared to chip in (18 guests gets expensive) everybody gets a sandwich or a kebab / KFC bucket 'o wings and they know who didn't want to pay from the stinge list on the door.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Utter twaddle.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You could keep some UHT. But it's ****e.

The dried milk is good these days. I keep it in in case I cannot get across to buy fresh. Used to go in lumps if you put it in hot drinks, but they have sorted that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I'd offer the choice of stump up or eat what you're given, and if nobody's prepared to chip in (18 guests gets expensive) everybody gets a sandwich or a kebab / KFC bucket 'o wings and they know who didn't want to pay from the stinge list on the door.
    18 guests is expensive so there are things you can do to cut back -

Ask people to BYOB

Serve a normal christmas dinner and not a 5 star gourmet feast with duck etc

If really stuck, ask everyone to chip in a tenner. €180 would cover the cost of the ingredients but I've a feeling she's more of an M&S girl than a Lidl one.

Asking people to stump up €55 for dinner is extortionate. I bet she made a profit on her wedding :pac:

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Utter twaddle.

Not at all lad.so if I’m living in the house next to you and I see you have a lad hired in to cut your hedges I can ramble in and tell him to do my side cos I couldn’t be arsed and it won’t cost me a penny.is that what your saying my well spoken friend?

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    18 guests is expensive so there are things you can do to cut back -

Ask people to BYOB

Serve a normal christmas dinner and not a 5 star gourmet feast with duck etc

If really stuck, ask everyone to chip in a tenner. €180 would cover the cost of the ingredients but I've a feeling she's more of an M&S girl than a Lidl one.

Asking people to stump up €55 for dinner is extortionate. I bet she made a profit on her wedding :pac:

Really? When did you last shop please?

You'd easily feed 18 people Xmas dinner for €200. Easily.

Whole turkeys are on sale Xmas week (when most people have already bought one) for under a score, so 2 = €40. Lets be generous, and say you need 3 for €60.

Full ham is, what, €40? two of them bring us up to €140 total.

That leaves €60 quid on veg, stuffing, gravy, couple of puddings etc.

Xmas dinner for two at home can be done for €20, without skimping on quality. Ramping that up to 18 people works out cheaper, per person, due to economies of scale.

Having said all that, there's no way I'd be peeling shpuds for 18 people.

• Advertisement

Not the dinner she served. Luxury.. gourmet. cooked for them too.
    You'd easily feed 18 people Xmas dinner for €200. Easily.

Whole turkeys are on sale Xmas week (when most people have already bought one) for under a score, so 2 = €40. Lets be generous, and say you need 3 for €60.

Full ham is, what, €40? two of them bring us up to €140 total.

That leaves €60 quid on veg, stuffing, gravy, couple of puddings etc.

Xmas dinner for two at home can be done for €20, without skimping on quality. Ramping that up to 18 people works out cheaper, per person, due to economies of scale.

Having said all that, there's no way I'd be peeling shpuds for 18 people.

Advertisement