Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

This guy might've been better off just buying his round.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

My cousin's Da died about 15 years ago, leaving the money for himself to be brought back to Ireland, buried, gravestone etc.
    All went fine.
    When my cousin's Ma died a few years ago, she was buried with the father. My cousin didn't bother getting her name put on the gravestone. I and the rest of the family reminded him several times that it needed to be done - he was always 'getting around to it'.
    After two years it was obvious that he was never going to 'get around to it' so I got it done. It took me all of 15 minutes to arrange, and cost about 400 Euro.
    My cousin never even said thanks let alone offering to pay me back, despite the fact I'd just been made redundant.
    In the meantime he'd managed to 'get around to' selling his mother's flat for about £300,000. Him and the wife have a combined annual income well over £100,000.
    And he wonders why I won't have anything to do with him ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

My cousin's Da died about 15 years ago, leaving the money for himself to be brought back to Ireland, buried, gravestone etc.
    All went fine.
    When my cousin's Ma died a few years ago, she was buried with the father. My cousin didn't bother getting her name put on the gravestone. I and the rest of the family reminded him several times that it needed to be done - he was always 'getting around to it'.
    After two years it was obvious that he was never going to 'get around to it' so I got it done. It took me all of 15 minutes to arrange, and cost about 400 Euro.
    My cousin never even said thanks let alone offering to pay me back, despite the fact I'd just been made redundant.
    In the meantime he'd managed to 'get around to' selling his mother's flat for about £300,000. Him and the wife have a combined annual income well over £100,000.

Not just stingy but plain disrespectful and selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭skirtgirl

Gosh I'm usually stingy to dish out the thanks but not for the last few posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,193 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Ayls wrote: »
    The worst I met was a top Q.C who came from a very wealthy aristocratic family, owned a huge chunk of London. I met him one morning sleeping in his car outside court (I had dated him a few times) I knocked on the window and asked was he OK he said he always drove across London (about 3 miles) around 4/5am as driving in rush hour, and therefore slower, used more petrol. I found that so ugly I dumped him there and then.

Otoh, if he'd said he was forced into doing that to make sure of getting a parking space, you'd have admired him for his dedication and tenacity. Not much of a QC if he couldn't make up a lie on the spot to make himself look better.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ayls

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Otoh, if he'd said he was forced into doing that to make sure of getting a parking space, you'd have admired him for his dedication and tenacity. Not much of a QC if he couldn't make up a lie on the spot to make himself look better.

He was too arrogant to have felt any need to lie to a mere mortal and certainly didn't have any need to make himself look better, being the icon that he was. From our few dates I had already suspected his meanness, this just confirmed it. Mind you, he's still rich and I'm still poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,193 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

He was too arrogant to have felt any need to lie to a mere mortal and certainly didn't have any need to make himself look better, being the icon that he was. From our few dates I had already suspected his meanness, this just confirmed it. Mind you, he's still rich and I'm still poor.

I suspect you were well shot of him.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

The worst I met was a top Q.C who came from a very wealthy aristocratic family, owned a huge chunk of London. I met him one morning sleeping in his car outside court (I had dated him a few times) I knocked on the window and asked was he OK he said he always drove across London (about 3 miles) around 4/5am as driving in rush hour, and therefore slower, used more petrol. I found that so ugly I dumped him there and then.

You sure he wasnt joking? I know a few guys who used to do this so they could get an extra few hours sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭irish_man

I was discussing stingey college meals with a work college today and he was saying that a fella he lived with used to have his own special twist on spaghetti bolognese. He used to use the cheapest pasta and sauce, like a tight person would, but for his meat he used to mash up tesco value frozen burgers and mix it all in. Talk about disgusting. He had this every day for the year they lived together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

irish_man wrote: »
    I was discussing stingey college meals with a work college today and he was saying that a fella he lived with used to have his own special twist on spaghetti bolognese. He used to use the cheapest pasta and sauce, like a tight person would, but for his meat he used to mash up tesco value frozen burgers and mix it all in. Talk about disgusting. He had this every day for the year they lived together.

Burgers are made from mince though. Or horse :pac: But it's all the same, have done it myself in a pinch! And most cheap spaghetti and sauces I've tried are actually nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

irish_man wrote: »

That's not stingy, that's survival! I used to use the cut up frozen burgers with pepper sauce and rice as one of my main meals in college. Was actually quite nice. Then again I used to eat loads of chicken super noddles as well but you would have to pay me to eat them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

RichFTW wrote: »
    That's not stingy, that's survival! I used to use the cut up frozen burgers with pepper sauce and rice as one of my main meals in college. Was actually quite nice. Then again I used to eat loads of chicken super noddles as well but you would have to pay me to eat them now!

Another college favorite of mine was pasta with a tin of sweetcorn with peppers, boiled in stock and cut-up pieces of whatever meat was in the reduced section! I still eat it sometimes, probably stingey but meh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

I think these are some of the stingiest people I know!

A family of 4 who are family friends would come over to our family home twice a year for a slap up homemade 3 course meal, wine, after drinks, the works! It was just a bit of a get together.

Instead of having us over to theirs to return the favour EVER, they would say that they would bring over half the food as it made more sense to have this get together in our bigger dining room.

Fair enough you might think. Queue all of my family putting together a big meal. Homemade soups and bread, salmon etc for starters, Turkey and ham or lamb. 3 different types of dessert. We always went all out and spent the night before cooking.

The friends who came over to enjoy the meal bring their half of the food: a small cooked chicken and a cake. They then proceed to eat all the far more expensive food that we have cooked. Drink all around them. Then when they are leaving, they take with them a big container of left over of cuts of meat, some dessert and ALSO the chicken and cake they bought to our house in the first place as they hadn't been touched(bar a few slices of cake) due to all the other food.

I might add that although not stingy, while at the house we would be running around getting a'll the food out and washing up..... Not one even lifted their plates from the table to the sink to help out. And these people are well off, the type that are constantly talking about their holiday home, their boat.... Basically just showing off how much money they had.

Well they haven't been invited back this year and I doubt we will be offering again any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

But u obviously invited them in the first place and more than once. Isn't that why most invite guests for dinner? Because they want to. If I cook for someone its because I want to, not because I want them to return the favour or pay for half the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

All went fine.

I had to repatriate my own father and I can tell you the death industry is a huge, exploitative, over priced pain in the ass.

I never go to the grave, never had...it's not a place that I rememeber him, but for over sentimentalised and exploited feelings around death, the industry can take full advantage.

No I did not have fancy engraved headstones, because it cost a freaking fortune in the first place with very evident strategies around the taboos intertwined between death and money, so no I am not bothered and I wont give another single cent to the death industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

zeffabelli wrote: »
    I had to repatriate my own father and I can tell you the death industry is a huge, exploitative, over priced pain in the ass.

I never go to the grave, never had...it's not a place that I rememeber him, but for over sentimentalised and exploited feelings around death, the industry can take full advantage.

No I did not have fancy engraved headstones, because it cost a freaking fortune in the first place with very evident strategies around the taboos intertwined between death and money, so no I am not bothered and I wont give another single cent to the death industry.

Is your fathers grave marked in any way at all??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

I'm sorry to hear the above posts i know grief hurts but for it to hurt again in other ways is horrible. Whether it be from family members or the undertaker business.

John_D80 wrote: »

I think so. It's a family plot. He was the last one that could fit. They made me buy another coffin too.

Then his family insisted on another wake. More money. Cha ching.

I just got fed up of it all. It was landed in my lap as the eldest, this was after a long bout of cancer.

Just burnt out from it.

My point is with these things, unless you have all the details, don't judge.

John_D80 wrote: »
    It seems unusual to me too but it's marked on the person maybe??

I want to be cremated.

Whatever about the undertaking industry ...it is a service.

LadyAthame wrote: »
    It seems unusual to me too but it's marked on the person maybe??

I want to be cremated.

Whatever about the undertaking industry ...it is a service.

Im going to let the people left behind choose, because death is hardest on the living.

• Advertisement

I think so. It's a family plot. He was the last one that could fit. They made me buy another coffin too.

I just got fed up of it all. It was landed in my lap as the eldest, this was after a long bout of cancer.

Just burnt out from it.

I am so sorry Zeffabelli. He is in memory marked on you...that is the most important way.

LadyAthame wrote: »
    I am so sorry Zeffabelli. He is in memory marked on you...that is the most important way.

Exactly, my memories are stitched in with him in other places, not the grave site. He's gone to the worms by now, but memory is where the dead live.

That's why as parents, I think our primary jobs, outside of rearing healthy happy kids who are competent adults is to leave them with a solid memory bank....the present is about the creation of memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Just burnt out from it.

To be honest, I very nearly was judging you. Until i got a better idea of where you were coming from. Which kinda proves your point I guess.

Thanks for such an honest and frank reply.

Just remembered this one.

Someone who did this when sending letters.

Exploiting the return to sender when no postage.

Put the addressee in the sender's position, uppper left hand corner, and your own address in the usual position for the addressee.

And no stamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

qwerty1991 wrote: »

A family of 4 who are family friends would come over to our family home twice a year for a slap up homemade 3 course meal, wine, after drinks, the works! It was just a bit of a get together.

Instead of having us over to theirs to return the favour EVER, they would say that they would bring over half the food as it made more sense to have this get together in our bigger dining room.

Fair enough you might think. Queue all of my family putting together a big meal. Homemade soups and bread, salmon etc for starters, Turkey and ham or lamb. 3 different types of dessert. We always went all out and spent the night before cooking.

The friends who came over to enjoy the meal bring their half of the food: a small cooked chicken and a cake. They then proceed to eat all the far more expensive food that we have cooked. Drink all around them. Then when they are leaving, they take with them a big container of left over of cuts of meat, some dessert and ALSO the chicken and cake they bought to our house in the first place as they hadn't been touched(bar a few slices of cake) due to all the other food.

I might add that although not stingy, while at the house we would be running around getting a'll the food out and washing up..... Not one even lifted their plates from the table to the sink to help out. And these people are well off, the type that are constantly talking about their holiday home, their boat.... Basically just showing off how much money they had.

Well they haven't been invited back this year and I doubt we will be offering again any time soon!

I agree with BettePorter. You should never put up a spread like that if your just 'expecting' the same in return. It's a problem of your own making although I do agree that raiding the leftover food is a bit eyebrow raising. Why DID you put on such a lavish meal for them in the first place and go to so much trouble if you didn't get some pleasure out of doing so yourself? They might have though they were doing you a favor by turning up and giving you something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

!

Is this a term people use? Thought it was used in the Beano or similar comics::D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

colossus-x wrote: »
    I agree with BettePorter. You should never put up a spread like that if your just 'expecting' the same in return. It's a problem of your own making although I do agree that raiding the leftover food is a bit eyebrow raising. Why DID you put on such a lavish meal for them in the first place and go to so much trouble if you didn't get some pleasure out of doing so yourself? They might have though they were doing you a favor by turning up and giving you something to do.

I agree with you that we shouldnt have done it if we simply wanted a meal in return. That is not a good attitude at all! :) But It was agreed that we would make a big dinner between us, ya know a 50/50 kinda get together. But we were left doing all the work while they showed up with very little and ate so much and bought everything home with them again. it was supposed to be a joint meal but we provided all the alcohol and food basically.

the first two times we were kinda hoping maybe they might repay the favour in future (simply because it was supposed to be a joint get together and it would be manners for them to return the favour as they hadn't actually held up their end of the bargain by bringing food).

Now we are more savvy and haven't invited them back because they started expecting this 6 monthly tradition at our house, bringing it up every 6 months about when we would have our get together dinner. Which from experience was us cooking for them and waiting on them Which wasn't really in the whole spirit of what we had hoped.

I dunno, I think they are stingy doing that. It wasn't that we had a nice dinner and expected something in return, it was because it was supposed to be split between both families yet we provided everything multiple times and were even reminded when our 6 monthly dinner was coming up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

I dunno, I think they are stingy doing that. :D

I agree. A similar thing happened with friends' annual pot-luck. The hosts provided the main course, (a meat dish) and the rest of us would bring veg, salads, dessert etc, and some also brought another meat dish. There would often be about 25 people there and we'd usually bring a dish with ten or so servings. A vegetarian couple said they were happy to bring a veg dish. They brought exactly two servings, one for each of them, and proceeded to share in the rest of the food brought by everyone else. Not as extreme as most of the examples on this thread, but, stinge, nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

I was at a charity cycle recently where there was no charge only a donation of your choice.while outside a wife asked her husband how much to give and he said €5 was loads.I thought this was a bit mean considering there was burgers and hotdogs at the end.But they went in and gave their €5 and then pulled a sandwich bag out of his pocket and started to fill it with food from the tables.So that they could have a break on top of the big Hill...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

Went to a wedding years back, was dating a guy for a little while before he invited me to his sisters wedding. So I got a wedding gift (as to not go up there empty handed). Spent a small fortune in Carraigh Donn to get them something pretty for their home (not easy as money was very very tight) but also had to have money to travel there for the event & back again and had to pay for a hotel room also.

Got there with gift in hand only for the guy to basically take it off me to hand to his sister and say he got it, to which his sister stormed around giving out only to me #(guess she knew he didn't get it for her like he said)how she wanted money not gifts. No thanks no nothing. This was basically the first proper time I had met her. Week later I split up with him :D

Advertisement