Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

GE Capital Aviation Services Delivers First of up to Seven Leased Airbus A330s to Lufthansa (GECAS)

SHANNON, Ireland – October 27, 2015 – GE Capital Aviation Services (GECAS), the commercial aircraft leasing and financing arm of GE, today announced it delivered a leased Airbus A330-200 aircraft to Deutsche Lufthansa A.G.

The aircraft is the first of up to seven leased A330-200s scheduled for delivery to Lufthansa through 2017 as part of the carrier’s fleet expansion. The remaining aircraft are currently leased by GECAS to other airline customers around the world. As those lease terms expire, the GECAS and Lufthansa technical teams will manage the cabin renovations and redelivery of each aircraft to Lufthansa.

Speaking of Lufthansa, I see that the Shannon Aerospace Hangar has been renamed to Lufthansa Technik.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yep SNN-BOS and the return BOS-SNN were cancelled due to what seems like a shortage of Aircraft in Dublin. Can anyone confirm?

EI-LBS positioning to SNN as EI991 (Although listed as DUB-ORK) ATM to operate EI134 (SNN-BOS) later this morning.

CSO Freight Statistics 2005 – 2014 (CSO)

Can anybody explain the downward trend for freight at Shannon?

Any new developments regarding the granting of fifth freedom rights to cover customs and border clearance for cargo at Shannon?

366942.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

I don't know, but it could reflect the industry trend
    http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-07-03/boeing-cargo-planes-lose-to-boeing-passenger-planes

Sales of cargo versions of Boeing’s (BA) 777 and 747-8 aircraft have stalled as British Airways (IAG:LN), Delta Air Lines (DAL), FedEx (FDX), operator of the world’s largest cargo airline, and other carriers ground older cargo planes and transfer freight to Boeing’s widebody 777 passenger jets. The shift is forcing Boeing to rethink its cargo business as a glut of large passenger jets hits the market over the next two years.
    Ryanair don't carry cargo, so their routes won't contribute to the volume of goods carried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

CSO Freight Statistics 2005 – 2014 (CSO)

Any new developments regarding the granting of fifth freedom rights to cover customs and border clearance for cargo at Shannon?

366942.png

I can only guess that the ending of conflict in IRAQ etc. involving use of Shannon by US Military cargo planes is a significant factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Switch from A330 to 752 by Aer Lingus, plus use of smaller cargo aircraft by other operators including B734 on the DHL East Midlands rather than a B752f, the TNT Liege flight was lost in the late 2000's also afaik

Balf wrote: »
    I don't know, but it could reflect the industry

Speaking of industry in general, did the closure of Dell's manufacturing plant have any bearing on air freight?
    Switch from A330 to 752 by Aer Lingus

Would there be a correlation between larger passenger aircraft and freight numbers?
    elastico wrote: »
    I can only guess that the ending of conflict in IRAQ etc. involving use of Shannon by US Military cargo planes is a significant factor.

I doubt it, as I presume all civil or military cargo planes transiting through Shannon would not appear in the CSO statistics.

Then again, military aircraft tankers taking on fuel as “cargo” to refuel other aircraft in the air could be technically classed as freight but their numbers would not explain the downward trend?

Even before the Iraq conflict, the freight tonnage in 1988 for example was double than what it was last year.
    • Shannon Freight 22,563 metric tonnes
    • Dublin Freight 46,823 metric tonnes

Source Irish Landscape in Photographs and Maps Patrick by E. F. O’Dwyer.

Would there be a correlation between larger passenger aircraft and freight numbers?

Yes, as naturally the larger aircraft carries more freight ;)

The military traffic is irrelevant in this case as any cargo would not be loaded/unloaded/processed at the airport.

Yes, as naturally the larger aircraft carries more freight ;)
    Would that mean that the high growth rate of air freight seen in Dublin Airport would be due to passenger aircraft rather than cargo aircraft?

If so could it partly explain the downward trend at Shannon?

Anybody got an idea of the breakdown of the air freight tonnage carried between passenger and cargo planes in Dublin or Shannon for that matter?

Would that mean that the high growth rate of air freight seen in Dublin Airport would be due to passenger aircraft rather than cargo aircraft?

If so could it partly explain the downward trend at Shannon?

Dublin has benefited from the Eastbound services to the Middle east which I suspect make up a large proportion of the increase in tonnage there indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

The loss of cargo through shannon is due in large to the change in EI aircraft type. Alot of US bound freight is brought by road form SNN TO DUB due to lack of space.

On another note A330 will operate BOS flight tomorrow

On another note A330 will operate BOS flight tomorrow

Interesting! Backlog in pax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Speaking of industry in general, did the closure of Dell's manufacturing plant have any bearing on air freight?
    I'm afraid don't know how Dell brought in components and shipped out their product.

THE popular regional service to Edinburgh from Shannon Airport could be restored next year.

The Stobart Air operated Aer Lingus Regional flight, which was one of several cancelled in January, is being mooted for a return, it is understood.

However, reports of Ryanair pulling two routes from Shannon next year are believed to be correct, with the Poitiers and Nice services under threat.

The likelihood is that the airline – which has yet to comment on the reports one way or another – will increase the frequency on its other routes as a result.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/shannon-to-edinburgh-route-could-be-restored-1-7039845

Well, they seem to have added 2 and 2 and got 4.5, but its better than the usual pessimism.

The Clare Herald are today running a story on the cancellation of the BOS flight 3 days ago due to the lack of an aircraft in DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Stobart are very stretched operationally so will be interesting to see if they give it ago again as Im not sure there is major room for additional services currently.

The CSO statistics for July are out.

North America has mixed results with growth to date of +2.9%.

367109.png

The CSO statistics for July are out.

North America has mixed results with growth to date of +2.9%.

367109.png

Newark has fallen again, not that surprising with the increased competition with DL and EI.
    What's happening with Chicago? There's some big drops there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

From my time with united. seems a lot of it is to do with the bad exchange rates on the us dollar, the extra hike in united tickets and less families choosing to go to Florida via Chicago. Delta actually had a good year a lot of people said, i dont know what ticket prices where like but a few regulars have choose them over united,

• Advertisement

Jhcx wrote: »
    From my time with united. seems a lot of it is to do with the bad exchange rates on the us dollar, the extra hike in united tickets . . . .
    United offer a great all year round service between New York (Newark) and Shannon.

I did not realise that the strong Dollar or the weak Euro is having an effect on their price as far as the Irish consumers are concerned.

I wonder if United’s brandname is well known enough for the average Irish person to use them when flying to New York?

There is a need to do some more promotional work with this route to reverse its on-going slide.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The Clare Herald are today running a story on the cancellation of the BOS flight 3 days ago due to the lack of an aircraft in DUB.
    Airline cancelled Shannon flight to use plane on other route (Clare herald)

At least Aer lingus learnt some lesson from their shabby treatment of 185 Shannon passengers in 2012 (Shannon - Boston), where they removed them from the plane in Shannon in order to accommodate Dublin passengers.

This time round they flew to Dublin first, where they were partly accommodated by the (Dublin – Boston) flight or via Heathrow to get to their intended destination.

Apparently customers were notified by SMS / email but one customer wrote the first he heard about the cancellation was when he is the check-in queue.

“I wasn’t contacted by email or SMS. I wasn’t even told it was cancelled until I had queued for 20 minutes at check-in where a guy was discretely asking if people we on the Boston flight,” he said.

“My email details were in the system somewhere, I didn’t get the e-ticket by carrier pigeon. :p I’m also a member of the Gold Circle club so they have my details from that as my booking was certainly linked to membership,” he said.

He was travelling to Phoenix and arrived there 13 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

United offer a great all year round service between New York (Newark) and Shannon.

I did not realise that the strong Dollar or the weak Euro is having an effect on their price as far as the Irish consumers are concerned.

I wonder if United’s brandname is well known enough for the average Irish person to use them when flying to New York?

There is a need to do some more promotional work with this route to reverse its on-going slide.

thats just what was said back to me everyone is blaming the dollar as less spending money cause its expensive in NY and having a dearer ticket versus another airline is gonna affect sales. there was more coming in on the flights than going out. its hard to say like united and aer lingus are pretty much the only ones there all year round but certainly brand awareness is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Currency issues or not such a sharp drop during the bussiest month of the year is not a positive sign. AA should have the same problem but don't appear affected. United is a well know brand here.

Two reasons:
    SNN/USA market becoming saturated

Slightly to one sided market (inbound) which makes things such as currency have an impact but in saying that seats would be filled with from US considering exchange rates

DUB capacity increase has heavily diluted yields and pulling more passengers who may not be fussed where they fly from and price will win their business

If Delta add the B763 next year, it could be a worry however with fuel been so good it could work in favor if the route has lost a lot of cash year on year which could be offset.

August figures could show it been a one off though.

Shannon Airport News Roundup (Flying in Ireland)

Published on October 26th, 2015 | by Jim Lee

Up to the end of September of this year Shannon Airport handled 1,348,321 passengers, up 5% on the same period in 2014. This compares with a total for 2014 of 1,639,315 passengers. Shannon last released traffic figures on 12th August, which were for July and which showed a 3% growth compared to July 2014. July load factors (seats filled) on flights averaged 90%, the highest they have been since the airport gained its independent in 2013.

Shannon_traffic_figures.jpg

A Fokker 70 aircraft seems to have diverted to Shannon from Detroit.

Two Dublin bound flights from Barcelona and Valencia were also diverted to Shannon. Fog?

I see the Gatwick - Shannon flight is canceled, probably the same reason.

367323.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

^^^^^^^
    Could only be the Royal Netherlands Aircraft i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Shannon757 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^
    Could only be the Royal Netherlands Aircraft i'd say

Apparently it's a Gulfstream:(

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

Air Contractors acquired a fourth 757 for operation by Aer Lingus.

Now we know where the next 757 is from ☺️

• Advertisement

Fog in England has resulted in a few cancelations at Shannon today.
    • Two British Airways transit flights (London City – Shannon – New York)
    • One Aer Lingus flight (Heathrow) departure + arrival
    • One Ryanair (Manchester) departure

Last night's flight from Heathrow was also cancelled.

Advertisement