Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    August down 3.9%
    September up 2.8%

Completely random but September increase at SNN was the exact drop at ORK...

August figure a little unexpected considering July was +2.6%, June +0.5
    The CSO passenger numbers for August last year was 199294.

Your -3.9% drop would equate to -7772 passengers (CSO basis).

Even though the transit numbers are not included in the CSO statistics, we could assume that the withdrawal of the Stobart and Transat services had a negative bearing.

The UK saw a drop of -8141 passengers plus the loss of the weekly Toronto flight -742.

Incidentally the CSO numbers for June were up +1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The CSO passenger numbers for August last year was 199294.

Your -3.9% drop would equate to -7772 passengers (CSO basis).

Even though the transit numbers are not included in the CSO statistics, we could assume that the withdrawal of the Stobart and Transat services had a negative bearing.

The UK saw a drop of -8141 passengers plus the loss of the weekly Toronto flight -742.

Incidentally the CSO numbers for June were up +1%.

August
    2014 - 208,220
    2015 - 200,067

June
    2014 - 193,572
    2015 - 194,542

As you say transit seem to have had a small impact.

Slowdown in growth of passengers at Shannon (Irish Times)

Business fell during what should have been one of tourist season’s busiest months

Growth in passenger numbers at Shannon Airport has been tailing off since early this year, according to new figures which show that business actually fell during what should have been one of the tourist season’s busiest months.

Figures show that, in January, February and March, a total of 213,000 people travelled through the airport. This represented month-on-month increases of between 28.4 per cent and 38.3 per cent on the same period in 2014.

However, the acceleration in growth stalled in April, when numbers fell 3.1 per cent to 132,028. Growth returned at a slower pace in May, which was 4.1 per cent up at 162,341.

Numbers fell
    Traffic reached 194,542 in June, just 0.5 per cent more than during the same month in 2014, while it increased by 2.6 per cent in July to 271,827.

Numbers fell 3.9 per cent in August, one of the busiest months of the tourist season, to 200,067. They recovered slightly in September, when they rose by 2.8 per cent to 168,479.

The double-digit increases in the first quarter are down to the fact that Ryanair launched a series of new services in the spring of 2014.

‘Washed through’
    It increased passenger numbers at the mid-western airport by about 300,000 over the last nine months of 2014 and the first three of 2015.

However, sources pointed out yesterday that the impact of the additional Ryanair services had “washed through” the figures by April, the point from which the airport’s growth slowed.

In January, Aer Lingus Regional, operated under contract by Stobart Air, pulled a series of services from Shannon to Birmingham, Bristol and Edinburgh, resulting in the loss of 20 flights a week.

Below the August numbers again.

Ryanair switching from Liverpool to Manchester forced Stobart to close their Shannon base (Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh) in January.

362912.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

At least the decline in LHR numbers should now stop with the A320 back on the route

Some interesting old footage of the airport here on RTE archives for when the airport celebrated 50 years on this day 1995.
    http://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/1021/736446-shannon-airport-50th-anniversary/

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

At least the decline in LHR numbers should now stop with the A320 back on the route

Some interesting old footage of the airport here on RTE archives for when the airport celebrated 50 years on this day 1995.
    http://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/1021/736446-shannon-airport-50th-anniversary/

The timing is still not good for business. The earliest I can get to LHR is 10.20am unless you use FR to Stansted for a 8.35am arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

knockon wrote: »
    The timing is still not good for business. The earliest I can get to LHR is 10.20am unless you use FR to Stansted for a 8.35am arrival.

Hopefully the IAG takeover can change this.
    Maybe alot of the recent Heathrow lost passengers can be attributed to that fact.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Hopefully the IAG takeover can change this.
    Maybe alot of the recent Heathrow lost passengers can be attributed to that fact.

Unlikely as it's always early morning slots which are the problem at LHR.

10.20 while no great isn't that bad as even at DUB besides the early LHR services STN with FR is the only other option as both LGW flights arrive after 9.00.

FR 2 daily STN isn't exactly great this winter, was it not 3 last year?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Unlikely as it's always early morning slots which are the problem at LHR.

10.20 while no great isn't that bad as even at DUB besides the early LHR services STN with FR is the only other option as both LGW flights arrive after 9.00.

FR 2 daily STN isn't exactly great this winter, was it not 3 last year?
    Nope, hasnt been 3per day in the winter in ages. In the summer its only 3 per day Friday and Sunday.

Let's take the example of Belfast. With BA and EI both having morning flights, would it not be better use to switch one of them to SNN?

It's also a pith Ryanair got rid of their 6:30am departure time to Stansted. That allowed you to be in the centre of London at around 9-9:30am.

Nope, hasnt been 3per day in the winter in ages. In the summer its only 3 per day Friday and Sunday.

Let's take the example of Belfast. With BA and EI both having morning flights, would it not be better use to switch one of them to SNN?

It's also a pith Ryanair got rid of their 6:30am departure time to Stansted. That allowed you to be in the centre of London at around 9-9:30am.

There is a good point about Belfast but personally I can't see it changing it short to medium term. EI do really really well if not slightly better than BA to LHR out of BHD.

For the SNN times they carry very good numbers so clearly EI think it works fine for them.

Plenty of suits and ties on the morning LHR service particularly on Mondays and thankfully it tends to arrive well ahead of time when I take it at least. I've been fortunate to have been on the Heathrow express by 1015 more than once

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I used to commute daily to the center of London from Shannon on the red eye, used to be at my desk before 9 every day, there was a few of us in the same boat every day

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Clareman wrote: »
    I used to commute daily to the center of London from Shannon on the red eye, used to be at my desk before 9 every day, there was a few of us in the same boat every day

Tough going...... out of SNN at 6.30am and arrive back at 8.45pm. I would'nt say you could keep that going for too long? I know lots of guys doing the weekly alright out Monday am and back Friday evening spending 4 nights in London.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

knockon wrote: »
    Tough going...... out of SNN at 6.30am and arrive back at 8.45pm. I would'nt say you could keep that going for too long? I know lots of guys doing the weekly alright out Monday am and back Friday evening spending 4 nights in London.

I used to sleep on the flight/Heathrow Express and tube, then I'd get my dinner in the airport on the way back, I was on an AMAZING daily rate at the time at it was all on expenses so it wasn't that tough ;)

Clareman wrote: »
    I used to sleep on the flight/Heathrow Express and tube, then I'd get my dinner in the airport on the way back, I was on an AMAZING daily rate at the time at it was all on expenses so it wasn't that tough ;)

A daily return from Heathrow costs more than most peoples day wages, I'd imagine that company's expense account was deep.

A daily return from Heathrow costs more than most peoples day wages, I'd imagine that company's expense account was deep.

Gold Circle membership as well, it was cheaper to get me over than get a local to do it, flights were often cheaper than hotels also.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

http://wp.me/p31Nr0-2fX

Interesting article, which also seems to indicate that the 767 won't be back next year, which isn't all bad

Airbus330 wrote: »
    http://wp.me/p31Nr0-2fX

Interesting article, which also seems to indicate that the 767 won't be back next year, which isn't all bad

I'm confused by it now. The article states that the 757 from the early JFK goes to IAD, but that 757 was from Shannon, so if the 767 doesn't run where is the 757 coming from? And EWR's gain is not JFK's loss, by the time EWR starts the early JFK would have been finished anyway and EWR is going to be an A330.

http://clareherald.com/2015/10/ryanair-planning-service-cuts-at-shannon-34980/

Basically confirming what we already knew weeks ago. The schedule hasnt been fully announced yet so I wouldnt rule out a possible new route.

So Ryanair’s plans for summer 2016 are to
    • drop routes to Nice and Poitiers
    • reduce frequency to Memmingen, Paris, and Manchester.

So Ryanair’s plans for summer 2016 are to
    • drop routes to Nice and Poitiers
    • reduce frequency to Memmingen, Paris, and Manchester.

Yep,
    MAN 7pw-5pw
    FMM and BVA 3pw-2pw.

On a more optimistic view, Ryanair have extended the season of their extra 1pw/ flight on ACE and PMI by 1 month. ACE is now 2pw and PMI 3pw for June, July and August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Well Nice and Poitiers seemed to have been widely flagged up before now anyway.

Paris is lucky enough to survive I think - it alway seems to be in the bargain bin when you search purely for the cheapest flights out of Ireland - shed loads of 5-10 euro each way flights from Ryanair close to the departure date tends to suggest that a route is struggling.

Manchester is just Ryanair doing what they have always done - flood the market with low price seats to drive a competitor off the route (or in this case, almost out of the airport altogether) and then, when they are gone, return the frequencies to a level where they can actually make money. You'd have to be a bit disappointed in Shannon mangement for falling to that trick again without at least making more of an effort than it appeared they did to keep the Stobart base.

Does all this affect the usage of based aircraft - i.e. is it possible that the reductions could leave space for some new routes?

Does all this affect the usage of based aircraft - i.e. is it possible that the reductions could leave space for some new routes?

There is space for some extra flights a week. They can operate flights in from as many other bases as they want.

Bva is an odd one as once that was operated twice daily!

There is space, but an Alicante and a Tenerife rotation has been moved to a based aircraft.

Carnacalla wrote:
    There is space, but an Alicante and a Tenerife rotation has been moved to a based aircraft.

Sizeable gaps on more than one day still

Will be a little surprised if they go for EDI route, if they do I expect they airport will be really pressed on fee's for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭cnoc

http://clareherald.com/2015/10/ryanair-planning-service-cuts-at-shannon-34980/

Basically confirming what we already knew weeks ago. The schedule hasnt been fully announced yet so I wouldnt rule out a possible new route.

What percentage of Shannon's traffic belongs to Ryanair?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There is space for some extra flights a week. They can operate flights in from as many other bases as they want.

True, bur gaps in the schedule of based aircraft are more likely to be a pointer towards a route announcement.

RE: Beauvais - the difference is that this time around Ryanair will only generally operate routes they can make a profit from at Shannon. Last time they had a larger scale deal with the airport which led to them operating a whole range of loss making routes to try to honour their end of the deal.

A 5 hour space on wednesdays, late starts on sat/sun for 1 aircraft plus suspiciously long turn arounds certainly says something is in the works...

Virgin Atlantic Airways flight VS108 from Detroit to Heathrow diverted to Shannon this morning.

Did a change of aircraft take place from A333 (G-VINE) to A333 (G-VNYC)?

Reason unknown.

• Advertisement

The SNN-BOS flight appears to be routing via Dublin this morning

Advertisement