Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/passenger-dies-on-transatlantic-flight-diverted-to-shannon-683960.html
    Passenger dies on transatlantic flight diverted to Shannon

A passenger has died on board a transatlantic flight that diverted to Shannon Airport this afternoon.

British Airways flight 274 was travelling from Las Vegas in the US to London’s Heathrow airport at the time.

The woman, believed to be in her 60s and travelling on a UK passport, is understood to have suffered a suspected heart attack.

The Boeing 747 jet landed at 2.40pm and was met by ambulance paramedics however the woman had already passed away.

After being formally pronounced dead by a local doctor, the woman’s body was removed to University Hospital Limerick where a post mortem examination is expected to be carried out.

The flight continued its journey at 4.40pm.

A British Airways spokeswoman said: "Our thoughts are with the family.”

Saw this landing earlier alright and thought something was unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Here is another report from the Clare Herald.

Despite the prompt diversion to Shannon, sadly medical help came too late for that person.

Image.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

UA67 to Chicago today departed very late today, only about an hour ago. The flight to SNN last night diverted to Newark and an aircraft swap was carried out owing to an mx issue

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lufthansa will be operating a 777-F aircraft into Shannon tomorrow evening. Landing scheduled for 19:45 from Frankfurt and leaving for JFK at 21:30.

2qu11zq.jpg

Filming notice in place at SNN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Carnacalla wrote: »
    2qu11zq.jpg

Filming notice in place at SNN.

What date(s), time(s), what area of airport.

Spelling on notice would need to be checked!

cnoc wrote: »
    What date(s), time(s), what area of airport.

Spelling on notice would need to be checked!

Haven't a clue, I know only as much as the notice tells me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

That notice has been there for a few months at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Post has been up since start of the year. Parts of the program have already been filmed in bits. Not that I can ever see them filming

AeroMexico jet diverts to Shannon (Clare Herald)

An AeroMexico Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner en-route from Mexico City to Paris Charles de Gaulle landed safely in Shannon Airport this afternoon having being forced to divert.

The aircraft landed shortly after 2.45pm.

The crew of the AeroMexico plane requested to permission at the County Clare airport after an on-board alarm system alerted the crew to a potential issue in the aft cargo hold.

Emergency crews have surrounded the aircraft and an inspection is due to be carried out.

• Advertisement

Two diversions from Cork Airport around teatime.
    • Brussels (Aer Lingus) EI847 17:55 Diverted SNN
    • Stansted (Ryanair) FR908 18:15 Diverted SNN

The diverted Aer Lingus A320 will operate EI856 ORK-ALC in the next hour and a half from SNN.

A third flight from Amsterdam which came into land at Cork also diverted to Shannon airport because of low lying fog. (Irish Times)

According to Met Éireann, Cork Airport is particularly prone to fog conditions.

This is due to its location near the south coast and its height (154M) above sea level.

However, with the introduction of Category 2 status in 1990 the number of flight diversions has dropped dramatically, although to some people Cork will always be regarded as a foggy Airport.

As a result of the diverted flight AMS-ORK to Shannon last night, EI882 (ORK-AGP) is operating from Shannon today.

CASA-CN235MP-252-IR24D65A2-620x350.jpeg

Air Corps CASA declares emergency (Flying Ireland)

Late this afternoon (30-06-15) about 1815L while on patrol well west of Shannon the crew of Air Corps CN235MP 252 declared an emergency due to smoke in the cockpit and decided to divert to Shannon. The Sligo based Coastguard Sikorsky S92A “Rescue 118″ was scrambled to link up with the CN235 and track it in to Shannon. 252 landed OK on RW24 just after 1930L with the rescue services standing by. “Rescue 118″ then recovered to its Sligo base.

Arkefly flight OR336 from Cancun Mexico to Amsterdam has diverted to Shannon at 09:10 this morning and will depart for Amsterdam at 10:30.

Also Aeromexico departed for Mexico this morning after diverting to Shannon on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I don't want to start a row but SNN said May saw 5% growth but the actual growth was 4.1%.

Have management not grasped the concept of rounding off if below .5 it's rounded down and over .5 rounded up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I don't want to start a row but SNN said May saw 5% growth but the actual growth was 4.1%.

Have management not grasped the concept of rounding off if below .5 it's rounded down and over .5 rounded up.

When you come in a make a point like that without providing a link to the figures, then I can only conclude that your intention is indeed to start a row.

When you come in a make a point like that without providing a link to the figures, then I can only conclude that your intention is indeed to start a row.

May
    162 341 this year 155 914 last year = 4.1%

It's data the airport produces, CSO stats will reflect it also!

May
    162 341 this year 155 914 last year = 4.1%

It's data the airport produces, CSO stats will reflect it also!
    The CSO does not include Shannon’s Transit passengers so it will be difficult for them to reflect your -0.9% difference for May.

By the way London passengers increased by +3.3% in May and Shannon Airport only quoted +3% increase.

The CSO does not include Shannon’s Transit passengers so it will be difficult for them to reflect your -0.9% difference for May.

By the way London passengers increased by +3.3% in May and Shannon Airport only quoted +3% increase.

Just to be clear those numbers I posted are not CSO based but the increase was less than reported.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Was just at the back of the airport and saw a lot of activity. Flight from Amsterdam to Atlanta being diverted to Shannon.

http://www.flightradar24.com/DAL73/6b30852

Keano wrote: »
    Was just at the back of the airport and saw a lot of activity. Flight from Amsterdam to Atlanta being diverted to Shannon.

For more info see the flightradar thread in aviation and Aircraft.

Keano wrote: »

These diversions seem to come in clusters!

**** Update ****

000acf34-642.jpg

Emergency landing at Shannon Airport (RTE)

Flight Radar24 said that the plane, en route from Amsterdam to Atlanta, diverted to Shannon after reports of a smoke alarm in rear cargo hold.

Flight DL73 "safely landed" at Shannon, according to the airport's Twitter feed.

The airport said it was making preparations to tow the plane to the stand.

**** Update ****

Delta's unretired NWA Boeing 747 makes emergency landing in Ireland (Minneapolis St. Paul Business Journal)

. . . . The formerly retired Northwest Airlines jumbo jet (tail No. N671US) had just come back into service this week following damage to a sister 747-400 (tail No. N664US) that flew through a hailstorm in China two weeks ago and is still sitting in Seoul.

The 747 that made Friday's emergency landing was retired by Delta in 2014 and sat in an aircraft boneyard in the Arizona desert until it flew to Minneapolis Sunday night. After maintenance to get it back into operation, the plane flew from Minneapolis to Detroit and back Wednesday and then to New York and on to Amsterdam Thursday.

Friday's trip would have been the double-decker jumbo jet's first flight back across the Atlantic Ocean since returning to service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Figerty

Just to be clear those numbers I posted are not CSO based but the increase was less than reported.

Why not contact that Airport authority and ask for an explanation. They know well they are going to be challenged on number, so I hope will be able to stand over the numbers..

I heard that they are measuring by the increase by weight.... there have been a few american bound planes diverted so that would indicate the difference... Joking....

Figerty wrote: »
    Why not contact that Airport authority and ask for an explanation. They know well they are going to be challenged on number, so I hope will be able to stand over the numbers..

I heard that they are measuring by the increase by weight.... there have been a few american bound planes diverted so that would indicate the difference... Joking....

I might just do that when I get time.

Are TK still stopping in once or twice weekly?

I might just do that when I get time.
    Shannon Airport media enquiries can be made here. :)
    Are TK still stopping in once or twice weekly?
    No idea how often Turkish Cargo are calling but three other cargo Jumbos arrived at the end of this week.
    • Kalitta Air Cargo B747 on Wednesday
    • Atlas Air Cargo B747 on Thursday
    • Atlas Air Cargo B747 on Friday

Planning Application (15450) for the refurbishment and localised reconfiguration of the existing Arrivals/Immigration Hall, Transit Lounge and Block A, Departure Gates areas within the Shannon Airport Terminal Building.

All works are to take place 'Airside' ( past security checks) and comprise of the following:

1) Arrivals/Immigration Hall: The relocation of the existing 'European Arrivals Door', localised replacement of the existing cladding and curtain walling facade at ground and first floor levels and associated reconfiguration and refurbishment of the internal office and arrivals, immigration and baggage hall areas;

2) Transit Lounge: The reconfiguration and refurbishment of the existing internal public areas resulting in the generation of 46m2 of new airside retail space;

3) Block 'A' Departure gates 1-5: The localised replacement of the existing cladding and curtain walling facade at ground and first floor levels as well as the refurbishment of the internal public waiting and toilet areas, including all ancillary site and service works.

New player in Auckland Airport duty-free market (New Zealand Herald)

ARI chief executive Jack MacGowan says the selection at The Loop will be wider than previous operators.

New operator Air Rianta International (ARI) which is trading under the name The Loop Duty Free, has rehired many of the staff from the old operators but says there will be a more subtle approach.

ARI chief executive Jack MacGowan said the Dublin-based business was not going to radically change the concept of airport retail but "we're going to do a few small things differently".

I know that the top ARI executives are now based in Dublin, but its business address and the bulk of its staff are still based in Shannon Airport.

Will this eventually change?

Funny that the DAA sugardaddy isn't even located at one of their airports isn't it?

• Advertisement

When ARI expanded their head office in Shannon seven years ago, they had a staff of 77.

Does anybody know what numbers are employed there today?

Advertisement