Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

To be honest, based on my Transatlantic experiences with EI, passengers aren't missing out on much.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

In fairness they are adding extra capacity to the Boston route and who cares what colour the plane or the uniform is. Apparently EI staff prevented them wearing EI uniforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

Davys Fits wrote: »
    In fairness they are adding extra capacity to the Boston route and who cares what colour the plane or the uniform is. Apparently EI staff prevented them wearing EI uniforms.

Rightly so. They treat their staff like dirt! Extra captcity..em be interesting to see customers feedback after

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Airbus330 wrote: »
    Rightly so. They treat their staff like dirt! Extra captcity..em be interesting to see customers feedback after

Just like unions of crew members treat the public, though love will do no harm.

It's not as EI staff are losing out from the B762 operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think we are being awfully pessimistic here. Aer Lingus leased an Omni 767-200. They fitted a business class in it for the 12 weeks (if that doesnt show devotion to the business market in SNN I don't know what does). Keep in mind the Omni 767-200 is different to the 767-300 EI usually rent to fill temporary shortages. The -200 has PTV's and more comfortable seating. The extra capacity is also a big bonus and may increase pax numbers on the route by nearly 6,000.

Its also great to have a widebody scheduled passenger service back in Shannon. This year wasn't looking promising for a widebody service after the withdrawal of Air Transat.

• Advertisement

In other news, I believe the SNN-BHX has very good forward bookings. Be great to have that service back

I see Shannon was affected by a short power outage this evening. It apparently put the flight information screens and telephones out of service for a short while.

In other news, I believe the SNN-BHX has very good forward bookings. Be great to have that service back

I agree, it has received a great response. Prices very competitive too. Pity its so late in the evening, it may make it unattractive. At least it spaces out the flights leading to less quieter periods.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I agree, it has received a great response. Prices very competitive too. Pity its so late in the evening, it may make it unattractive. At least it spaces out the flights leading to less quieter periods.

Yeah timing is poor enough but hopefully if demand exists the timings may alter, especially if there should be any service increases ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Looks like British Airways are using Shannon today for training purposes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Hi all,

I was driving from Ennis - Limerick one morning last week (Thursday 4th, I think) and at about 0810 or 0815 I was passing the SNN junction on the motorway.

I saw a big 4-engine prop plane with high wings taking off. It took off in a northeasterly direction, and turned northwest just about at the motorway junction. It had a very 'square' shape (as in, the wings stuck out at 90 deg from the fuselage, and weren't swept back like an airliner's wings are) and I think it may have had the shape of a loading ramp underneath its tail.

Is it likely to have been a C130 Hercules, and if so, whose was it and what was it doing here?
    I know we don't have any Herky birds. The closest we have are our two maritime patrol CASAs, which do look like a small Herky but only have two engines, so it definitely wasn't one of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Hi all,

I was driving from Ennis - Limerick one morning last week (Thursday 4th, I think) and at about 0810 or 0815 I was passing the SNN junction on the motorway.

I saw a big 4-engine prop plane with high wings taking off. It took off in a northeasterly direction, and turned northwest just about at the motorway junction. It had a very 'square' shape (as in, the wings stuck out at 90 deg from the fuselage, and weren't swept back like an airliner's wings are) and I think it may have had the shape of a loading ramp underneath its tail.

Is it likely to have been a C130 Hercules, and if so, whose was it and what was it doing here?
    I know we don't have any Herky birds. The closest we have are our two maritime patrol CASAs, which do look like a small Herky but only have two engines, so it definitely wasn't one of them.

More than likely it was USAF. US (and other nations) C-130s regurlarly overnight at Shannon.

Shannon surge continues as May passenger numbers show 5% growth (Shannon Airport)

Shannon Airport’s summer is off to a flying start with five percent growth achieved in passenger numbers last month compared to May 2014.

The biggest growth market was the US, the highest spending market for inbound tourism, with an 18% increase across the airport’s US network, which has services to Boston, Chicago, JFK New York, Newark and Philadelphia – in May.

Buoyant Air Traffic Demand on the North Atlantic (IAA)

Shannon down -15% (with an average of 56 commercial daily movements at Shannon).

Passenger numbers up 5% but movements down 15%. The joys of Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Passenger numbers up 5% but movements down 15%. The joys of Ryanair.

Thats pretty good considering the loss of Stobart / EI Regional.

vkid wrote: »
    Thats pretty good considering the loss of Stobart / EI Regional.

I agree. Seems the recently introduced Ryanair services have gained popularity.

Also to note: The SNN-BHX route returns next Thursday.

Any word on a Scottish route?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Redundancies are going to be sought according to the Clare Champion, not clear yet how many.

Redundancies are going to be sought according to the Clare Champion, not clear yet how many.

Guess it's in relation to the cost base, they had indicated cuts.

Look forward to Clare Council views......

• Advertisement

According to Fianna Fáil’s spokesperson on Transport, Clare TD Timmy Dooley said that management and unions are to hold discussions about voluntary redundancies at Shannon Group next week. (Fianna Fáil)

Anybody got more details on this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

According to Fianna Fáil’s spokesperson on Transport, Clare TD Timmy Dooley said that management and unions are to hold discussions about voluntary redundancies at Shannon Group next week. (Fianna Fáil)

Anybody got more details on this?

Same Mr. Dooley that abstained from the vote to keep Aer Lingus in Shannon rather than moving it to Belfast when he was part of the government, he'd know a lot about job losses in Shannon Airport I'd say.

I can see this getting a little messy.

I can see this getting a little messy.

So can I blame the Government, I'm sure the daa will be in the firing line also but overlook the fact that FR are being charged €1 for around 700,000 per year

I also expect the sloppy local media will also brush over the FR discounts also

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    So can I blame the Government, I'm sure the daa will be in the firing line also but overlook the fact that FR are being charged €1 for around 700,000 per year

I also expect the sloppy local media will also brush over the FR discounts also

What in the name of bejesus does the FR discount have to do it? Would Shannon be any better off without the extra 200,000+ passengers it got last year? The growth in passengers caused the job losses?

And you call Mr.Dooley bad....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd imagine most of the redundancies will be for people who want redundancy so it hopefully won't be a negative thing.

Clareman wrote: »
    Same Mr. Dooley that abstained from the vote to keep Aer Lingus in Shannon rather than moving it to Belfast when he was part of the government, he'd know a lot about job losses in Shannon Airport I'd say.
    Poor Timmy, it seems some voters have good memories! ;)

What in the name of bejesus does the FR discount have to do it? Would Shannon be any better off without the extra 200,000+ passengers it got last year? The growth in passengers caused the job losses?

And you call Mr.Dooley bad....

If the passengers don't cover the costs then yes it's bad. FR bringing the passengers required more staff/longer hours the costs have to match it.
    I'd imagine most of the redundancies will be for people who want redundancy so it hopefully won't be a negative thing.

If they don't go they will be forced or wage cuts across the board.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    If the passengers don't cover the costs then yes it's bad. FR bringing the passengers required more staff/longer hours the costs have to match it.

If they don't go they will be forced or wage cuts across the board.

You have no idea of the terms and conditions of these contracts of Shannon Group staff so stop taking nonsense. You have no idea why redundancies are being sought, maybe they're not needed anymore, or different sectors are merging together and there is duplication of job roles..you keep avoiding the fact that the Group is now a profitable company that operates successfully which it did not under the DAA. It made a profit in 2014 and 2015, wow it's like a broken record at this stage.

• Advertisement

You have no idea of the terms and conditions of these contracts of Shannon Group staff so stop taking nonsense. You have no idea why redundancies are being sought, maybe they're not needed anymore, or different sectors are merging together and there is duplication of job roles..you keep avoiding the fact that the Group is now a profitable company that operates successfully which it did not under the DAA. It made a profit in 2014 and 2015, wow it's like a broken record at this stage.

The CEO said at the end of 2013 the the cost base at the airport is a concern and needs to be addressed.

Advertisement