Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/mhmhqlkfqlcw/rss2/
    A senior Siptu official yesterday told management at Shannon Airport that his members are “flabbergasted” that it is seeking voluntary redundancies.

Tony Carroll was speaking following a meeting with airport management where they formally informed Siptu that a voluntary redundancy scheme would be put in place.

Accompanied by 10 Siptu shop stewards, who represent some 220 members at the airport, Mr Carroll said: “I told management that Siptu is disappointed at the notion of any redundancies at the airport. Members have told me that they are flabbergasted that management is seeking redundancies and I told management that at the meeting.”

Mr Carroll said that, over the course of a two-hour meeting, the management team, led by chief executive Neil Pakey, made a presentation on the business plan for the airport. “We were told of projections of increases in passenger traffic and that the business wasn’t in trouble and that was a relief to hear,” he said.

Mr Carroll said management told him they were putting the voluntary redundancy scheme in place after receiving representations from individual workers that they would be interested in exiting if such a scheme was put in place.

He said: “None of the staff that I have spoken to over the last two weeks since these rumours were going around have expressed a preference for a voluntary redundancy programme. I told management that they are overstating the demand for such a scheme.”

Mr Carroll said management will apply for approval from the Department of Transport for the scheme, adding that “the ball is in management’s court now”.

The current job levels of about 280 at Shannon are based on traffic levels of 4m passengers a year. Shannon recorded passenger numbers of 1.7m last year.

Local Fianna Fáil TD Timmy Dooley said the plan was bizarre, “after assurances were given that there would be no redundancies, but instead that there would be job increases”.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Mod Warning

This thread is being destroyed by mudslinging and childish insults, if it continues bans will be issued and the thread may be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for May are out.

Gatwick figures are not yet available but Shannon Airport has stated a 3% increase in London passengers.

So, on that basis I estimated Gatwick to have 9600 passengers.

Therefore the overall total UK figures would be down -9.6% as against the same month from last year.

352233.png

Error: The column title “2015-04-PAX” is a typo. :o

It should be “2014-05-PAX” (i.e. the comparison is May 2015 with May 2014)

The CSO statistics for March are out.

The first quarter of the year being the quietest period, the North American showed a +11.7% increase in passenger numbers.

The month of March numbers were down for Boston and Newark, but up for JFK.

352307.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Two articles today about the return of the Stobart BHX service. Will be using it myself in September, but will have to stay 2 nights in Birmingham due to the annoying lack of a Saturday service.

http://clareherald.com/2015/06/shannon-birmingham-service-readies-for-take-off-4564/

http://m.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/boost-for-shannon-as-stobart-s-birmingham-service-starts-up-1-6802703
    SHANNON Airport’s summer season will get a boost tomorrow when Stobart Air’s six-times weekly service to Birmingham commences.

The service, operated under the Aer Lingus Regional brand, will deliver an additional 45,000 seats into Shannon and bring to 35 the total number of destinations operated from the airport in 2015.

It comes as Shannon saw a five percent growth in passenger numbers for May, compared to the same month last year.

Shannon had been working hard to replace the route after Stobart Air stopped using the airport as a base and cut services to Birmingham, Bristol and Edinburgh in January.

Declan Power, head of aviation at Shannon, said the commencement of the Birmingham route this Thursay would “add to the summer momentum”.

“Our passenger numbers for May were up by 5% on last year and the summer season has definitely kicked off,” he explained.

“However, one of the areas we need to grow is UK provincial. Birmingham is the third largest airport in the UK outside of London and has a catchment of 20 million people within 90 minutes travel time, so we see strong potential here for inbound business and leisure passengers, which is good for the region.

“There’s also a strong outbound demand, with Birmingham serving a large swathe of the UK and is itself a business hub and, not least because of its midland location, a major conference centre. This is a very positive development for Shannon and our passengers and we look forward to making the service a real success

The service will operate each day, except Saturdays, out of Birmingham, departing at 4.55pm and arriving in Shannon at 6.35pm, the return leg leaving at 7pm and touching down in the UK at 8.35pm.

The airport’s five percent jump in traffic in May, year on year, included an increase of 15% from European markets and 3% from London, the single biggest city market for Shannon by far.

The biggest growth market was the US, the highest spending market for inbound tourism, with an 18% increase in May across the airport’s American network, which has services to Boston, Chicago, JFK New York, Newark and Philadelphia.

• Advertisement

Falcon holidays last blog post was a post on why you should fly Shannon Airport. http://blog.falconholidays.ie/2014/05/20/fly-shannon-airport/

Also note that both Falcon and Shannon Airport advertised the Majorca, Lanzarote and Reus routes for 6 weeks in April/May in a joint venture that spread down as far as Cork.

If only Falcon didn't try to push Dublin so much while on the phone.

After 13:10 on Saturdays there is 3 scheduled departing flights, all of which are to London. My god does Shannon die out on a Saturday evening. Sunday evening is a different story then, being the busiest evening of the week!

Reading this weeks Travel Extra edition I read that Omni planned a Las Vegas service from Shannon in 2014? I don't remember this.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Reading this weeks Travel Extra edition I read that Omni planned a Las Vegas service from Shannon in 2014? I don't remember this.

Any link?

Airbus330 wrote: »
    Any link?

Google "Travel Extra", click on the newest article and scroll down to Hotels. It mentions hotel prices and the most searched hotels.

• Advertisement

Probably the same route Travel Extra mentioned this time last year as "the most exciting possible new route for Shannon by a carrier that currently serves the airport"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Wasn't there talk at one point of Shannon getting a flight to a US destination not served from any other Irish airport? That must have been it. Is it dead in the water?

Wasn't there talk at one point of Shannon getting a flight to a US destination not served from any other Irish airport? That must have been it. Is it dead in the water?

I think your thinking of Providence.
    That was never realistic, it would damage the BOS route and wouldn't be viable even with that. Who would operate it anyway? Was just enda talking out of his arse as usual. Think of it as an optimistic conversation in a bar at night.

Vegas makes more sense considering Omni operate there already. Providence would be a separate rumour imo

Considering DUB doesnt have a Vegas route, I'd say it would be a possibility should Omni get interested. Maybe there experience this year in Shannon may influence their decision?

SNN%20WAW%20Plane%2033.jpg

Aer Lingus has partnered with Fáilte Ireland and Shannon Airport to launch a Wild Atlantic Way branded aircraft.

The Boeing 767, which will be branded with the Wild Atlantic Way logo for 12 weeks, will fly between Boston and Shannon over the summer months. (Independent)

img_0190.jpg

Wild Atlantic Way boosts Shannon ferry crossings by 20% (Examiner)

Shannon Ferry Group which operates the Shannon Breeze and Shannon Dolphin has already had to extend its high-season crossings due to demand.

The ferries which can take almost 120 cars between them, run between Tarbert, Co Kerry and Killimer in Clare from 7am to 9.30pm with crossings every 15 minutes.

Eugene Maher, chief executive of Shannon Ferry Group said: “Numbers have been fantastic, particularly over the past two years and this can be attributed to the promotion of the Wild Atlantic Way.

map_SNN711DH03.pngmap_SNN611DC10.png

New Rail Tours Launched from Shannon Airport (SA)

The new tours, using a combination of train and luxury coaches, will depart daily from Shannon Airport at 8.00am connecting into the extensive Railtours Ireland touring network. Railtours Ireland-First Class offer tours from Shannon ranging from one to eight days in duration. Among the iconic visitor sites and attractions include the Wild Atlantic Way, Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, King John’s Castle in Limerick, the Cliffs of Moher, Limerick, Galway, Killarney and scenic locations in Northern Ireland.

Announcing the initiative, Mr Jim Deegan, Managing Director of Railtours Ireland First Class said: “Railtours Ireland’s key market is North America and with major airlines; Aer Lingus, American Airlines, Delta Airlines and United Airlines, arriving into Shannon, we believe there is strong potential for generating new customers. Having identified a demand we are delighted to offer tours from Shannon Airport. These tours have been created specifically with the US market in mind and are a great addition to our current portfolio of 41 tour products.

Ryanair will operate an extra 3 flights to Lanzarote, Krakow, Warsaw, Berlin and 2 extra to Wroclaw over the christmas season.

BHX is now scheduled with a Cork aircraft.

Ryanair will operate an extra 3 flights to Lanzarote, Krakow, Warsaw, Berlin and 2 extra to Wroclaw over the christmas season.

BHX is now scheduled with a Cork aircraft.

Nice. Any change to the timing of the BHX?

Nice. Any change to the timing of the BHX?

Flights leave and arrive a whole 10mins earlier.

Flights leave and arrive a whole 10mins earlier.

Fantastic. Where did you see Ryanairs winter schedule?

• Advertisement

Fantastic. Where did you see Ryanairs winter schedule?

Manually searching on the Ryanair website.

Great news in that from next Sunday there will be 5 express busses daily between SNN and Galway, taking just 50 minutes including an early am service. http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1434634532-051X.pdf

Great, I'd imagine this will make a good difference to the airport.

Hopefully may result in higher demand for services, overall 2015 is an OK year, we still have no Scottish route.

Great news in that from next Sunday there will be 5 express busses daily between SNN and Galway, taking just 50 minutes including an early am service. http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1434634532-051X.pdf

The journey time between the airport and the bus station in Galway seems to be more like 70 than 50 minutes?

Great news nevertheless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The journey time between the airport and the bus station in Galway seems to be more like 70 than 50 minutes?

Great news nevertheless.

J@ysus, I wouldn't fancy being on the road when that bus comes by if they are going to do the trip that fast, with traffic in Galway I'd be giving more like 90 minutes to get from Eyre Square to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭black & white

Clareman wrote: »
    J@ysus, I wouldn't fancy being on the road when that bus comes by if they are going to do the trip that fast, with traffic in Galway I'd be giving more like 90 minutes to get from Eyre Square to Shannon.

My first and last time taking that was in December, bus was due to leave just after 4 if I remember and it didn't arrive until about 4.50, stopped in every town and village on the way and by the time I got to Eyre Sq it was just after 7. Never, ever again.

My first and last time taking that was in December, bus was due to leave just after 4 if I remember and it didn't arrive until about 4.50, stopped in every town and village on the way and by the time I got to Eyre Sq it was just after 7. Never, ever again.

It's good that there is now a direct bus isn't it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

My first and last time taking that was in December, bus was due to leave just after 4 if I remember and it didn't arrive until about 4.50,
    Bus Eireann 51 service leaves Shannon Airport at 5 to the Hour.

So the Bus left on time :rolleyes:

Clareman wrote: »
    True, I don’t know if the bus lanes in Galway could help, failing that Bus Éireann would need aviation fuel to keep their schedule. ;)
    This X51 (Shannon – Galway) service only stops at GMIT along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

'Just saw a British Airways 747 landing in Shannon. Diversion?

Advertisement