Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    So SNN would be a better place today without the terminal. Just like SNN are wasting money doing up their arrivals hall again?

No, I didn't say that and changing words doesnt lead to an intelligent argument.

Shannon's terminal is good, but the stupid and idiotic mistakes by the DAA who allowed the debt to accur interest and even add to it were not.

Shannon Airport are now doing up the arrivals hall, but the difference is that won't lead to an €100 million debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

They're not doing it "again" if it's currently still as was from its construction in 1970ish

Afterall, Toland from the Daa did say in the papers that the better product always wins ;-)

Edit-on phone app so unsure why first post in thread is accidentally quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

What determines "needs", I'm sure if doing it current job as it is.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing however it could be viewed as wasting money!

So an old small and cramped arrivals hall ignored by the DAA should be left the way it is because it's "doing its current job as it is"? So why modernise or do up anything if it does its job fine? Very weak and petty argument. I'm sure the SAA know exactly what to invest their growing profits in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Planes forced to divert as strong winds impact at Dublin Airport (Independent)

Looks like the flights from Munich (Lufthansa), Luga Malta (Ryanair) and Heathrow (Aer Lingus) were diverted to Shannon yesterday teatime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

023156.jpg

IAA Signs Contract to Test Remote Tower System (IAA)

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) announced today that it has signed a contract with Saab to deliver a Remote Tower Centre to Dublin Airport through corresponding remote tower installations at Cork and Shannon Airports.

Co-funded by the EU’s Single European Sky ATM Research Joint Undertaking (SESAR JU), the Remote Tower installations at Cork and Shannon will be operated from Dublin Remote Tower Centre and will be trialled on a number of occasions through 2015 and 2016.

What will they do with this structure after the transfer to Dublin?

Image from Airport-Data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

So basically Dublin is going to control Shannon Airport's tower?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Jhcx wrote: »
    So basically Dublin is going to control Shannon Airport's tower?

and Cork at night time more less, probably 12-6 or there abouts.

http://www.johnstonsunrise.net/stories/Green-Airport-celebrates-arrival-of-first-direct-international-flight,103036?category_id=4&content_class=1&town_id=2&sub_type=stories

Remember the talks of flights to providence? They obviously are over there.

I can't see it materialising but it's a nice thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭d1980

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

d1980 wrote: »

Expect the usual whingebags in shortly to tell us that everybody who buys a ticket will be classed as a passenger through the airport, same as they were crying over the santa flights.

• Advertisement

elastico wrote: »
    Expect the usual whingebags in shortly to tell us that everybody who buys a ticket will be classed as a passenger through the airport, same as they were crying over the santa flights.

You never know, lets wait to see July passenger numbers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Went to New York last week with Delta. Both flights over and back were completely full and the airport was hopping. Great to see.

Was also very impressed with the model plane display.

AA VP was in Limerick this week and has hinted at extending the PHL service and/or upgauging capacity

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/american-airlines-vp-hints-at-year-round-shannon-service-1-6782633
    “It is one of our strongest seasonal markets that we have and we are very, very happy with our performance here. We appreciate all of your support for this market as well,” she said.

“I think when you look at what is next for Shannon and what is next for American Airlines in Shannon, the typical steps that we would follow is really to extend the season on the front and the back end by a month, or two months, or three months, something of that nature. And kind of test the waters, see how it goes.

“That would probably be our next step in looking at what is next for Shannon. Those typically do develop into year round service. So that is probably our next step that we would do, likely.”

Ms Boda also suggested that the planes coming into Shannon may form part of American’s general ongoing fleet overhaul, which could in turn increase capacity on the Shannon route.

“The other thing that we could do, that we are also looking at - and I mentioned that we have got a big fleet renewal programme going on, is to look at upgauging the existing aircraft, and bringing more seats into this market,” she explained.

“Sometimes it is not always about the number of flights, but if you can bring more seats in on that particular flight, we can potentially increase our traffic significantly by doing that.

“So, that would be another opportunity for us; we are certainly we are always looking at these things, they are on our radar screen at all times, and having these new aircraft come into our fleet, gives us much more opportunity to make this a reality here.”

Read that earlier it's interesting to say the least. If PHL is extended year-round could it do serious damage to BOS and EWR?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Read that earlier it's interesting to say the least. If PHL is extended year-round could it do serious damage to BOS and EWR?

Really can't see it going year round anytime soon, at best I think April-October but it's nearly at that now. US only scrapped their B762's earlier this year and the next jump from a 757 is 332. The 787 is the smallest increase in seats but they are like gold dust and can't see SNN even seeing them.

The 321 NEO (from 2017) will have around 25 more seats than 752 and think you won't see any changes until then.

I agree serous damage to EWR/BOS particularly BOS I suspect and now that EI will be part of IAG I think AA will be happy to take transit passengers and if any route was to go year round it may be JFK to feed AA.

Would have some impact invariably. one EWR flight a week was dropped in winter when BOS resumed over winter so it might have some minor impact like that.

Good to see the T/a business is quite so bouyant at SNN though, a pity we don't hear about such positive news at the european side of things

Really can't see it going year round anytime soon, at best I think April-October but it's nearly at that now. US only scrapped their B762's earlier this year and the next jump from a 757 is 332. The 787 is the smallest increase in seats but they are like gold dust and can't see SNN even seeing them.

The 321 NEO (from 2017) will have around 25 more seats than 752 and think you won't see any changes until then.

I agree serous damage to EWR/BOS particularly BOS I suspect and now that EI will be part of IAG I think AA will be happy to take transit passengers and if any route was to go year round it may be JFK to feed AA.

I could see it going Late March-Early January like the EI JFK service.

I doubt that they will change the 757 anytime soon. A 787 may be possible in the peak season but I cannot see that happening. Also I was under the assumption that the A321 NEO would have less seats the 757? Do you know a breakdown?

Also I was under the assumption that the A321 NEO would have less seats the 757? Do you know a breakdown?

Airbus design is for 321 NEO-Longer Range is:
    240 (1 class max)
    206 (2 class 16 Business, 190 Economy)
    Based on average seat pitch seem today but guess airlines may decide themselves.

T/A 752's currently have 175 seats with (16 Business) but the general 752's can take up to 240 standard.

When the A321 NEO was launched it was pitched to customers like United/American with 164 seats (20 business) but they wanted more capacity and the above figures are based on similar offerings (seat pitch etc) on the 752's today.

Now operated by American Airlines who still operated 767 aircraft. They operated a 767 to Dub sure. 767 is realistically the next move. 767 next season (same frequency May-Oct) is a possibility

Airbus330 wrote: »
    Now operated by American Airlines who still operated 767 aircraft. They operated a 767 to Dub sure. 767 is realistically the next move. 767 next season (same frequency May-Oct) is a possibility

AA/US will continue like United/Continental, Continental fleets remain separate, their SNN operate is by Continental under United name.

Also AA are disposing of 31 of thier 56 B763's starting this year. You will not see a B767.

• Advertisement

The Omni B762 operating SNN-BOS-SNN is now airborne out of BOS for its first (inaugural) service.

If anyone is in Shannon tomorrow between 6am and 11:40am could you get a picture or even a look to see what livery its in?

168it8y.png

AA/US will continue like United/Continental, Continental fleets remain separate, their SNN operate is by Continental under United name.

Also AA are disposing of 31 of thier 56 B763's starting this year. You will not see a B767.

Eh continental is not separate lad. Fully staffed by United crew under the United brand. Same with AA. Fully staffed by AA crew under the AA brand sold under Anerican Airlines, operated by American Airlines. Airlines don't 'merge' to operate as separate airlines

Eh continental is not separate lad. Fully staffed by United crew under the United brand. Same with AA. Fully staffed by AA crew under the AA brand sold under Anerican Airlines, operated by American Airlines. Airlines don't 'merge' to operate as separate airlines

Brand yes but the fleets still remain separate internally. Customers don't notice it but it is the case.

Why do you think ORD is worked by night stopping by EWR crew....

As I say the customer is unaware but operationally it will take years for full integration to happen

The Omni B762 operating SNN-BOS-SNN is now airborne out of BOS for its first (inaugural) service.

If anyone is in Shannon tomorrow between 6am and 11:40am could you get a picture or even a look to see what livery its in?

168it8y.png

Is it blocked or does it say BOS-SNN?

Completely blocked to the extent that today's EI134 has been removed from the FR24 lists.

Sorry just saw your image

Brand yes but the fleets still remain separate internally. Customers don't notice it but it is the case.

Why do you think ORD is worked by night stopping by EWR crew....

As I say the customer is unaware but operationally it will take years for full integration to happen

If only I could say on this how I know but can assure you, you're incorrect.

If only I could say on this how I know but can assure you, you're incorrect.

OK your right but remember this why have UA planes have not moved to former CO bases and vice versa. It's the same with AA/US currently it takes a very long time for such changes.

I guarantee you will not see an AA 767 operating a US Airways route. Even the airlines websites display operated by US Airways....

As I saw if they were together then why are night stops required for SNN-ORD....it's not as if ORD couldn't manage it if fleets were integrated!

If anyone is in Shannon tomorrow between 6am and 11:40am could you get a picture or even a look to see what livery its in.

Credit to Highlydebased for finding this picture.
    So, here is N225AX on lease for the BOS-SNN route. Photo belongs to this person on Flickr- https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbjets/18581502071/sizes/l

18581502071_80da2c877d_b.jpg

• Advertisement

Credit to Highlydebased for finding this picture.

"Wild Atlantic Way". Such a poor effort! Passengers pay Aer Lingus for the Aer Lingus brand and service, not an Omni flight to be operated by Omni crew. Could they not have just put the Omni aircraft on the new Dub-JFK route instead. The EI crew based in SNN are now be hurled up to Dub to operate the DUB- Toronto route. Appalling treatment of their own staff, hopefully they'll proceed with their industrial action

Advertisement